General Who Needs To Go?

Part 2/2

Carlos Tuimavavae - Anyone who has chosen this kid needs a kick up the ass! How one can come to this conclusion after him being called up before his time and played in 4-5 different positions in a halfass injure riddled team and only playing 5 NRL games is laughable. This kid is an athlete and has a good footy brain. I personally thought he went well considering all the obstacles he had to overcome. I expect to see him run out in some capacity this year. Whether he has the goods to carve out a career in the NRL remains to be seen but he isnt a bad player to place a bet on. Probably be used as a utility player off the bench but he will be a future Warrior. Has at least 2-3 years before we can mention his name in this thread again.

Elijah Taylor - He has his detractors on this forum but I for one want to go on the record as saying that I really rate this guy. I honestly believe he will eventually replace Luck as the go to tacklebot but just needs to perfect his technique and up the stamina levels. He has all the right tools physically and, more importantly, mentally. Turning 23 soon he still hasnt even come close to realising his potential. Lets not forget that Micheal Luck was playing mainly off the bench and was released to us as a no name 23 year old. It wasnt till a couple years later that he truly peaked making the most tackles in the NRL, breaking the tackle record on a game and being named 18th man on the greatest team to ever play Origin ever, Queensland;). Comparing Elijah to either Lowrie or Mannering is unfair. They both have far more experiance and have taken years to develop. For all the hype about Lowrie, the fact is he is a journeymen. Taylor IMO will be part of the run on squad. He will most likely play off the bench. I predict him to improve greatly this season and go on to become one of the true Warriors clubmen. You can quote me on that.

Sam Rapira - I swear some of you guys must be smoking too much weed or something! Sam would need to be constantly injured for 2 straight years before the Warriors release this guy. His injuries are a great concern but the fact is, fully fit, he is the best prop we have. When this run of injuries happens to Ben Matulino will you be calling for his head as well? I think not. As hit on in an earlier post prop is the hardest position physically. Every coach knows this and expects their props to have a bad run sooner or later. There are of course exceptions but there will always be freaks. Everybody just needs to chill about Sam. He had a bad run last year but played 20 games during the 2011 season. You know, the season we made the GF and he was instrumental in setting the platform for the other props to follow? Yeah, that season. That guy.

Jerome Ropati - As you may know, Im a huge Ropati fanboy. TBH alot of it is to do with his past performances when he was in form and I can admit to that. In saying that, I believe if he so much as breaks a fingernail this season then he will be gone. I dont believe though that he needs to go before then. IMO when he is fully fit he will be a starting centre. I know alot of people will disagree but thats my view anyway. I dont think he is the complete fuckup some are suggesting.

Bill Tupou - Of all players, I would like to see him at the very least replaced. He neednt be shown the door. He will still provide good depth cover. If he's happy waiting in the wings (sorry!) in the Vulcans then so be it. I think the salary he's on wont justify it though. In saying all that, I dont see it happening. Not this season without a mid-season transfer. He is the best option we have at the moment and at 22 years old he needs to start showing us what he can do. The Warriors have certainly invested alot of time into him so they must see some potential in him. Heres hoping for a breakout season for Tupou.

Ben Henry - Im a little puzzled by Benry. Im not sure where to play him. I would like to see him developed as a 2nd row/lock. The kid can tackle and has a great defensive mind. The way he shut down one of the worlds best players in Greg Inglis last year was amazing to watch. Nothing wrong with having him as depth.

Most the players mentioned above are still developing. Most were made to look mediocre last season but then most youngsters will when lined up against the best players the league world has to offer. Not all will make it as regular first graders of course but unless they're given time, we will never know. I think most the youngsters just need more development. They also need the right sort. If they're all happy to play bridesmaid in the Vulcans then so be it. As long as they are genuine depth options then they are earning their keep and salaries. Half will be on minimal NRL salary or just above anyway. Those with short memories forget the complete lack of depth we had last season. Its one of the reasons why we had to rely on our inexperienced juniors.The main issue is most will probably seek releases with the offer of more game time too hard to resist. And fair enough too. To ask for a release to join another team however is different to being released because your no longer wanted/needed as the original question begs

warriorworkhorse, to compare any of our juniors to freaks like Jason Taumalolo and Marika Koroibete is just plain stupid. These guys are freaks and very rarely do you see young players come through like that. You do your arguement no favours by handpicking 2 of the best young players and using that as an example of how our players are 'failing to impress'. Your comparison is unfair. Konrad Hurrell, Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Shaun Johnson are all products of our juniors system. I rate all as impressive. Would you also seriously trade Tuimavave, Bill Tupou, Sebastine Ikahahifo, and both Lousi brothers for drug cheating, knocked out by a kid, 30 year old Reni Maitua! Where would you play Lama Tasi? Prop or 2nd row? In place of who? I think the grass is plenty green in our own patch...

CARLOS TUIMAVAVE; Hasnt impressed me that much with the time he has had even though the warriors were struggling doesnt mean he should awful aswel. I think he could have a long career but not in the nrl maybe at a team like salford at best.

BEN HENRY; Another player who really doesnt have a position, has a good work rate and defence is good but definately not a centre
seems to be a good bloke and level headed would rather him bulk up abit. good enough for depth cover but will have to improve this year.

JEROME ROPATI; I have no idea how he still is at the club, he just getting in the way of younger players coming through and warriors are not getting there value for money outta this guy, good clubman but his time is expired.

BILL TUPOU; Everyones favourite winger, am still waiting for him to shine into a first grade winger to me hes a nsw cup winger at best, i dont think he would start at any other club in the nrl. doesnt score much, never breaks the line hes pretty much no thrills whatsoever. cant believe they re-signed him, wouldnt be suprised if he didnt see much time this year.

SEBASTINE IKAHAHIFO; good toyota cup player but looked way out of his depth in nrl, is definatly not ready at this stage unless he becomes either a powerhouse, Abit small to be a foward still in a kids body id say. a year in the vulcans would do him good.

Whats the diffrence with a drug cheat and a drunken fool like brett seymour. Reni maitua must be doing something good if hes getting considred for the parra captaincy. And lama tasi would be ahead of ikahahifo,lousi,packer a guy who can actually put people on bums and not jersey pull.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
CARLOS TUIMAVAVE; Hasnt impressed me that much with the time he has had even though the warriors were struggling doesnt mean he should awful aswel. I think he could have a long career but not in the nrl maybe at a team like salford at best.
I really don't understand where you are coming from with this one.

Carlos was one of the better players on the field in his limited games. Sure he got fended badly and conceded a try, but it was in his first time in first grade. He also did well at FB, mostly in attack (though his defence wasn't exceptional, it was adequate for a guy stepping into a position he hasn't played in a long time and with limited first grade training). I think his work rate made Johnson look bad. He appeared more mature and more determined to make an impact while on the park. He allayed my concerns about him fading out of games, as he appeared to do at times in U20s. I would have him on the bench as a utility straight away this year. He can cover the entire backline and could probably be adequate cover at second row, due to his size. To me, it is clear he has a long future in the NRL, and perhaps will be a Kiwis regular in the not too distant future.

Reactions: mt.wellington
for that kinda $$ they would have kept Jennings! I think the Pamfers are clearing the decks to make a serious play for some big off contract names in 2014 and probably pick up some bargains along the way.
I hear the panthers are after Thurston.

As for Taylor possibly earning near 500,000. Do we actually know how long this reported contract is for? Needless to say, 500,000 over 1 year is very different from 500,000 over 3.

JEROME ROPATI; I have no idea how he still is at the club, he just getting in the way of younger players coming through and warriors are not getting there value for money outta this guy, good clubman but his time is expired.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad some people here are on the same page in regards to Ropati's lack of performance for some 4 or so years. Great clubman and person but see ya later mate.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I hear the panthers are after Thurston.

As for Taylor possibly earning near 500,000. Do we actually know how long this reported contract is for? Needless to say, 500,000 over 1 year is very different from 500,000 over 3.
Absolutely NO WAY is Taylor going to be on $500K a year. That would put him in the same range as James Tamou! Your 3 year sounds better but Im thinking its more a 4 year contract. At $125,000 thats not bad money at all...

Absolutely NO WAY is Taylor going to be on $500K a year. That would put him in the same range as James Tamou! Your 3 year sounds better but Im thinking its more a 4 year contract. At $125,000 thats not bad money at all...
I was gonna say 4 years, but we know how much the Panthers love their back ended contracts...

I think Taylor would be very underpaid if he was still only getting $125,000 after 3 years time.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I was gonna say 4 years, but we know how much the Panthers love their back ended contracts...

I think Taylor would be very underpaid if he was still only getting $125,000 after 3 years time.
Thats only assuming that he makes it to 3 years. Whilst I have no doubt he will, you can never be certain of anything. Especially professional sports. 4 years is a great contract for a young guy like Taylor. It will give him great job security, a luxury in the NRL these days. After 4 years if he's any good, his salary will double...

Reactions: fanrrior
I really don't understand where you are coming from with this one.

Carlos was one of the better players on the field in his limited games. Sure he got fended badly and conceded a try, but it was in his first time in first grade. He also did well at FB, mostly in attack (though his defence wasn't exceptional, it was adequate for a guy stepping into a position he hasn't played in a long time and with limited first grade training). I think his work rate made Johnson look bad. He appeared more mature and more determined to make an impact while on the park. He allayed my concerns about him fading out of games, as he appeared to do at times in U20s. I would have him on the bench as a utility straight away this year. He can cover the entire backline and could probably be adequate cover at second row, due to his size. To me, it is clear he has a long future in the NRL, and perhaps will be a Kiwis regular in the not too distant future.

Tbh I don't see him getting much time this year bluey just loved the young guys a lil too much, and I guarantee he won't b there round 1 halves are taken by Shaun Johnson and seijika or godinet the backs r fully stocked, he may get a bench spot if lucky but he better start praying injury a to happen cause that looks like his best chance. I don't no why everyone is saying they've only played a few games in 1st grade so what! If the other teams can bring there young guys up and carve why can't the warriors young guys carve aswel? They're obviously not ready or just very average. hopoate came into manly he carved,ken Sio carved for parra, Tariq sims for cowboys, and you can't say those guys are just freakish, we won the 20s back to back and still haven't produced any freakish talent other then Shaun Johnson and hurrell but they're defence is woeful.

Tbh I don't see him getting much time this year bluey just loved the young guys a lil too much, and I guarantee he won't b there round 1 halves are taken by Shaun Johnson and seijika or godinet the backs r fully stocked, he may get a bench spot if lucky but he better start praying injury a to happen cause that looks like his best chance. I don't no why everyone is saying they've only played a few games in 1st grade so what! If the other teams can bring there young guys up and carve why can't the warriors young guys carve aswel? They're obviously not ready or just very average. hopoate came into manly he carved,ken Sio carved for parra, Tariq sims for cowboys, and you can't say those guys are just freakish, we won the 20s back to back and still haven't produced any freakish talent other then Shaun Johnson and hurrell but they're defence is woeful.
The difference being, our top senior players were no better (and actually worse in most cases) than these young players in 2012. I had already stated Carlos should be on the bench, not starting, and I don't think Siejka or Godinet will get any more gametime than Carlos, Leuluai (unfortunately, IMO) will be starting halves partner with Shaun Johnson. Though I think it is a waste, I think Godinet will probably rot in the Vulcans unless we have MASSIVE injury worries in the halves. I rate Godinet, but feel he will probably be sitting behing Shaun Johnson, Leuluai, Siejka and Carlos for a spot (simply because he hasn't followed the usual channels to first grade of coming up through the U20s and has had to work his butt off to be discovered in the Vulcans).

But, back to my original point here - It is unfair to rate these young guys based on performances in a shambolic first grade squad that was mismanaged by an inept fool who probably still doesn't realise he f@%#ed up (note: I was a big time Bluey supporter at the start of 2012, but have seriously seen the light). No one will shine as a debutant in those surrounds.

And if you are happy to base you opinions on a couple of games, then perhaps Fish should be our starting FB. He carved on debut, but look at the crap he can put out there, as well.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
We will just have to agree to disagree on Carlos or every other player you've mentioned in the post earlier. Your halves combination of Shaun Johnson and Siejka wont happen round 1, I'll bet you money on that!

Again you want to handpick the best young players from the whole comp and compare them to our young talent. Next you'll be wondering why none of our juniors are as good as the young Israel Folau, Lote Tiqiri or Daly Cherry-Evans. Surley Shaun Johnson impressed you during the second half of last season?

Forget about the success of the U20's. That doesnt mean shit and you neednt give it so much weight. All John Ackland does is pick the biggest players he can find and have them steamroll the opposition. 70% of the team is full of props and 2nd rowers. As far as developing them goes, that approach does little. We need to emulate the approach by the Bronco's in developing our young players. Tariq Sims is a product of the Bronco's development pathway.

We have ALOT of very skilled youngsters. Unfortunately for us, the vast majority play Union. We have a much smaller catchment with which to find the sort of talent you talk about. In fact, Penrith alone has more juniors playing League there then there are League players in all of NZ. We produce our fair share. I for one am happy with our lot. Of course we can do better and we should always strive to do that but it will come, eventually. Hopefully...