General Who Needs To Go?

I see what you're saying about most those players Warriorworkhorse, but I don't know how much of Tuimavave you've seen. If you can recall the games he played for us later in the season, he was our only positive in most those games. I think he let through a try in his first game, but other than that impressed all with his attack.

Just because someone hasn't had many oppurtunities, doesn't make them no hopers. Especially when we already have such a young squad.

Iv seen abit off him and wasn't really impressed I watched there last game against Penrith he was fullback and was zero from five at stopping try's.
I jus don't see a position for him anywhere and the other young ones are on thin ice if they don't perform this year.

The players I'd release fall under two categories.

If we can find a replacement

Vatuvei - Though I appreciate the good memories and everything he as done for the club, on and off the field, he needs to go if we want to change our image of an inconsistent club.

Tupou - Many people on this forum are under the illusion that I rate the guy, just because I like him more than Vatuvei. Bottom line is we need two good wingers, if Tupou can't deliver, then I'm afraid that's that.

Players that need to prove themselves this year

Rapira jnr - I like him, but he hasn't really shown what he is capable of when given the chance. If he is happy with staying in the Vulcans then I'm okay with him staying. But he might need to think of changing to a club that can utilise him better.

Ropati - I really hope he comes alright because it would suck to see his career end this way. He's a great bloke and I'd be more than happy if he got a coaching-job with us after his retirement.

Benry/Taylor - It's a pity that both of them are such ideal future captains. But with the recruitment of Lowrie, one of these guys might be thinking its best to move. I'd prefer that to one of them wasting away in the Vulcans.

Reactions: Hitman82
this is something ME spoke about preseason. He wants players to through reserve grade and be challanged against men not boys.

That's how it should be, the 20s boys need to play men and get a real taste ov hard hitting football. A lot ov them think the transition will be easy but in fact as we can see with our young boys they can't handle other then hurrell.

Reactions: jsmooove
That's how it should be, the 20s boys need to play men and get a real taste ov hard hitting football. A lot ov them think the transition will be easy but in fact as we can see with our young boys they can't handle other then hurrell.
I 100% agree. I think the club got caught up in thinking seeing we are winning silverware that the players are that good and can transition.

i personally would prefer to see players from toyota cup up to reserve grade if they are excelling or starting to and could be seen as a real 1st grade prospect. I this is the expense of the 20's suffering but hey the ultimate goal is to win a championship

this is something ME spoke about preseason. He wants players to through reserve grade and be challanged against men not boys.

sounds spot on, and when we did have alot of boys coming up through the vulcans or dropping from the top side to the vulcans , they also made the grand final in 2011

didnt seem to work aswell last season, be great to see a vulcans team chock full of the boys who can no longer play 20's and the ones who are on the cusp of first grade

sounds spot on, and when we did have alot of boys coming up through the vulcans or dropping from the top side to the vulcans , they also made the grand final in 2011

didnt seem to work aswell last season, be great to see a vulcans team chock full of the boys who can no longer play 20's and the ones who are on the cusp of first grade

That would be awesome seein a vulcans team stacked full ov older 20s boys, but in saying that a lot ov them let there ego get the better ov them and see the vulcans as a not worth playing for if its not a warriors jersey.
Vulcans players should get a look before some of the 20s, and it's not like the vulcans aren't a good outfit they seem to spank the 20s like lil kids every per season game.

KPWarrior

Contributor
The whole U20's comp needs to go! Banished back to it's rightful place as park footy! Bring back reserve grade as the 2nd tier comp, half the names mentioned here wouldn't have even made it to the 'needs to go' stage, at least not this early in their careers.

The whole U20's comp needs to go! Banished back to it's rightful place as park footy! Bring back reserve grade as the 2nd tier comp, half the names mentioned here wouldn't have even made it to the 'needs to go' stage, at least not this early in their careers.

I agree but a 20s side is a lot cheaper for a club to fund than a reserve grade side. The QRL would be dead against it as well cos it would dilute the QCup.

KPWarrior

Contributor
I agree but a 20s side is a lot cheaper for a club to fund than a reserve grade side. The QRL would be dead against it as well cos it would dilute the QCup.
I would have thought, if the NRL wanted to implement a reserve grade comp to replace the U20's then clubs would be adequately funded with the new tv deal? the U20's get prime time tv coverage and we're watching absolute shyte! it's done nothing to benefit the game and it's taken a lot away, it doesn't even resemble a first grade NRL match or even a pathway to 1st grade imo, they could have the same tv slot, with higher profile players, strategies, and an actual gameplan for a the curtain raiser.

Reactions: Akkerz
I disagree. I think the U20s is a good comp, just not the only comp we need. I don't feel NSW Cup is right either. I would like to see both a genuine reserve grade in conjunction with U20s.

I disagree with virtually all of the players mentioned by the first poster.

In my opinion, the only people who should be concerned right now would be Steve Raps, Ropo and perhaps Billy T.

I don't believe any of the 2011 U20s mentioned have been given enough time to decide whether they are ready or not. The way Bluey used the entire team was a joke, so how could any of these young guys be expected to perform to top level. Sam Lousi, Carlos and Ikahihifo all showed genuine ability that just needs coaching to turn to top quality.

Sam Lousi will never be a "crash over everyone" type of player. I see him as being something along the lines of Mateo - an offload wizard who will stand in every tackle and draw 3 or 4 defenders every time. Just like Mateo, it will always be difficult to get good minutes out of him.

I think Carlos actually showed up Johnson in his few games. I always considered Carlos a bit flighty in U20s, but he showed real maturity while playing an unfamiliar (though not totally) role in first grade. Johnson was the disappointment. He faded in and out of games constantly while Carlos gave his all in a shambolic squad. I believe Carlos will be an important part of the team within a year or 2.

Sione Lousi, while not a true first grader is very good prop depth and is a far better option than Ukuma was. I was not a big fan of Sione prior to this season, but when he stepped in at prop this year, he showed a lot more than he has ever done in the past.

Ropo, as was said by someone earlier, is only standing in the way of developing players who will be far better players than he ever was. Regardless of injury, I hope he steps aside this year.

Steve Rapira is nothing but a myth. Everyone talks about the mongrel he brings to the team. I never saw any while in a Warriors jersey. He has achieved nothing while here, and is even a waste as a Vulcan. I looked forward to seeing him and Sam take the field, but am over that idea. Sam can go too, if he can't produce a full season.

I am living in hope that a new coach will inspire Billy to lift above the mediocre and have a genuine good season, instead of his imaginary good season of 2012.

Apart from the above, I think the whole Bluey experiment should be treated as a coaching gamble that failed epically. The players should get another chance to show what they have.

Pita Godinet - I think he's a great talent way under utilised and would go well for another NRL club or an ESL club only contracted to the end of this season so he could move on

Ben Henry - Alot has been made of his defensive abilities workrate and enthusiasm but I feel he lacks true menace and killer instinct I want to see more from him he does have the ability to improve just more genuine bad ass attitude enough of the smiling pat people on the head bs or he can be let go.

Elijah Taylor - Just doesn't do enough in my opinion I know he's made the Kiwis and all but he still lacks the accuracy of say an Alex Glenn type player and very rarely stands out in a match I want to see more improvement or he could find himself playing second fiddle to Lowrie after waiting all that time as Luck's apprentice. Taylor was mentioned as a possible Storm player no doubt he would thrive in that system I just think we have too many backrowers alike and he fits in that category Mannering,Lowrie,Henry,Taylor,Ikahihifo,Palavi etc.

Billy Tupou - Don't rate Tupou as NRL quality he's just a weekly easy target for the opposition ,awkward, uncoordinated, always caught out of position because he has no spacial awareness too many weaknesses and negatives and not enough positives, would probably end up a good ESL player for Salford or Hull KR haha.

Sione Lousi - Just too soft one good game each season just doesn't cut it for me! for someone his size he has no vigour in his game or impact off the bench I've seen him have an exceptional game against a rugged Dogs pack one day but apart from that he's done nothing just a massive waste of size, find some anger and controlled discipline or find employment elsewhere I say.

Steve Rapira - This club has bided their time long enough and stood by this guy through his injury problems now it's time he repaid them back just too much wasted game time could have purchased others while he's been injured he needs to deliver big time

Sam Rapira - No disrespect to Sammy he is one of our true gladiators but he's another battered soldier becasue of his kamikaze playing style his body is getting decimated each year and because it's the most physical of positions his body is no longer coping as it was in his youth. If another serious long term injury occurs the club may have to look at letting him go especially with a prop like Matthew Scott coming on the open market, Matt Scott would do a consistent job week in week out.

Russell Packer - Some of his jersey grabbing and sickening lazy ass attitude towards the end of last season had me fuming! no doubt when he's in form and trudging out the huge metres he's at his best you know Russell's at his worst when he's letting his mouth do the talking, enough talk and more walk Russell your better then what you've shown.

I disagree. I think the U20s is a good comp, just not the only comp we need. I don't feel NSW Cup is right either. I would like to see both a genuine reserve grade in conjunction with U20s.

I disagree with virtually all of the players mentioned by the first poster.

In my opinion, the only people who should be concerned right now would be Steve Raps, Ropo and perhaps Billy T.

I don't believe any of the 2011 U20s mentioned have been given enough time to decide whether they are ready or not. The way Bluey used the entire team was a joke, so how could any of these young guys be expected to perform to top level. Sam Lousi, Carlos and Ikahihifo all showed genuine ability that just needs coaching to turn to top quality.

Sam Lousi will never be a "crash over everyone" type of player. I see him as being something along the lines of Mateo - an offload wizard who will stand in every tackle and draw 3 or 4 defenders every time. Just like Mateo, it will always be difficult to get good minutes out of him.

I think Carlos actually showed up Johnson in his few games. I always considered Carlos a bit flighty in U20s, but he showed real maturity while playing an unfamiliar (though not totally) role in first grade. Johnson was the disappointment. He faded in and out of games constantly while Carlos gave his all in a shambolic squad. I believe Carlos will be an important part of the team within a year or 2.

Sione Lousi, while not a true first grader is very good prop depth and is a far better option than Ukuma was. I was not a big fan of Sione prior to this season, but when he stepped in at prop this year, he showed a lot more than he has ever done in the past.

Ropo, as was said by someone earlier, is only standing in the way of developing players who will be far better players than he ever was. Regardless of injury, I hope he steps aside this year.

Steve Rapira is nothing but a myth. Everyone talks about the mongrel he brings to the team. I never saw any while in a Warriors jersey. He has achieved nothing while here, and is even a waste as a Vulcan. I looked forward to seeing him and Sam take the field, but am over that idea. Sam can go too, if he can't produce a full season.

I am living in hope that a new coach will inspire Billy to lift above the mediocre and have a genuine good season, instead of his imaginary good season of 2012.

Apart from the above, I think the whole Bluey experiment should be treated as a coaching gamble that failed epically. The players should get another chance to show what they have.
great post
I agree with having a genuine reserve grade comp. would like to see the NYC used more as a third grade personally.

in regards to Sioni Lousi - would love to see him develop a really quick play the ball. i think he'd be great coming off the bench for impact. keep his role in the team simple. miss no tackles. every hit up he does he just needs to concentrate on getting up and getting the quick play the ball and getting the opposition on the back foot. hes got some size so could attract a few players.,

I am a ropo fan boy. as someone said earlier i hope the club offers him a role in either the coaching dept or in an off field role somewhere. I think he is a great ambassador for the warriors.

Sam lousi is fairly raw. With good coaching i think this kid could be a huge asset in the mold of t-rex. he has the potential to be very destructive

Ill go on a limb here and say 2012 and bluey could be the best thing to happen to us long term. it exposed alot of weaknesses within our club. It def left really bitter taste in my mouth that we arent as good as we thought or what was made out. not to mention all the sports science and coaching team that has been implemented this year.

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Wow, this was a thread that should've been put to bed before it began. To have a crack at Tuimavave and Vatuvei is laughable at best, one stepped up and shone in a hiding to nothing situation with an inexperienced stand in Coach, the other gets a start on the back of his history alone. Short memories these 'fans', very short memories. My advice, last year was what is was, suck it up and spend your energy supporting the boys rather than throwing darts, or go join the Eels brigade, you'll fit right in. Cheers.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
The reason the Oz teams have good youngsters is they don't have a love affair with the Under 20's comp. Anyone half decent gets pushed to reserve grade

Agreed. Aside from props on the wing, this was another gripe I had with the whole setup over the past couple of years. The gulf between U20's and first grade is massive, yet guys like Carlos, Benry etc play season after season in the U20's. That's great for the U20's, but surely at some point their development begins to plateau. If you've got a talented 17 year old that you have pegged as a future first grader, why have him spend 2 or 3 years in the same competition? Give them a season, then have them up playing against men, not teenage boys. The club at last appears to be addressing this, with a couple of admissions that perhaps the U20's should not be an automatic launching pad into the first grade side.

Wow, this was a thread that should've been put to bed before it began. To have a crack at Tuimavave and Vatuvei is laughable at best, one stepped up and shone in a hiding to nothing situation with an inexperienced stand in Coach, the other gets a start on the back of his history alone. Short memories these 'fans', very short memories. My advice, last year was what is was, suck it up and spend your energy supporting the boys rather than throwing darts, or go join the Eels brigade, you'll fit right in. Cheers.
Since you didn't quote anyone I'm just gonna assume you are referring to most of the posters in this thread. If you were 'talking' to just person in particular, then please disregard this post. I won't speak for everyone, but I genuinely believe that releasing certain players would be good for both parties.

Unless we are absolutely decimated by injuries, I can't see how keeping both Benry and Taylor would benefit the Warriors or the two players. They can both do better elsewhere and it would be a waste of their talent and dedication to training if they were just used as depth, waiting in the Vulcans for an injury.

Rapira jnr isn't doing so well here. When we got him back from the cowboys, only to be used as depth, their fans were livid that we had squandered his potential(exaggeration alert). This leads me to believe he might go well elsewhere.

Whilst I like Tupou, you don't see players of his (current) calibre in Champion teams. I'd only rehire him if he drastically improves or we can't find anyone better.

As for Carlos, I would absolutely hate to see him in a different team. If we don't resign him, I will cry a little.

I'll admit I'm a Vatuvei "hater" who believes he is no longer at the NRL standard. I am fully aware of what he has done for the club but, like you say, that's history.
To paraphrase Two-Face from the Dark Knight movie (the one with Joker), "You either retire a great player or play long enough to see yourself become mud". Vatuvei, at least in my eyes, has entered the mud phase.

Danpatmac

Since you didn't quote anyone I'm just gonna assume you are referring to most of the posters in this thread. If you were 'talking' to just person in particular, then please disregard this post. I won't speak for everyone, but I genuinely believe that releasing certain players would be good for both parties.

Unless we are absolutely decimated by injuries, I can't see how keeping both Benry and Taylor would benefit the Warriors or the two players. They can both do better elsewhere and it would be a waste of their talent and dedication to training if they were just used as depth, waiting in the Vulcans for an injury.

Rapira jnr isn't doing so well here. When we got him back from the cowboys, only to be used as depth, their fans were livid that we had squandered his potential(exaggeration alert). This leads me to believe he might go well elsewhere.

Whilst I like Tupou, you don't see players of his (current) calibre in Champion teams. I'd only rehire him if he drastically improves or we can't find anyone better.

As for Carlos, I would absolutely hate to see him in a different team. If we don't resign him, I will cry a little.

I'll admit I'm a Vatuvei "hater" who believes he is no longer at the NRL standard. I am fully aware of what he has done for the club but, like you say, that's history.
To paraphrase Two-Face from the Dark Knight movie (the one with Joker), "You either retire a great player or play long enough to see yourself become mud". Vatuvei, at least in my eyes, has entered the mud phase.

Tupou aspires to reach the heights of the mud phase... the mud phase would be a career high for Billy.
I think he is sub-mud.

Tupou aspires to reach the heights of the mud phase... the mud phase would be a career high for Billy.
I think he is sub-mud.
Wouldn't sub-mud mean not as muddy as normal mud?

Still... the fact we are talking about which winger is more mud says a lot about our sad situation.

Danpatmac

Wouldn't sub-mud mean not as muddy as normal mud?

Still... the fact we are talking about which winger is more mud says a lot about our sad situation.

Yes he is sub-mud, meaning beneath mud.

Bedrock or clay.

Worse.

Garbage.