General Which player is headed for the Vulcans?

Who needs time in the Vulcans?

• Locke

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Fisiiahi

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Hurrell

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nielsen

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Manu

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Laumape

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Ropati

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Peyroux

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Leuluai

• Johnson

• Mannering

• Lillyman

• Rapira

• Matulino

• Lousi

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Mateo

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Henry

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Lowrie

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Matagi

• Friend

• Gubb

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters
Injury cover that won't drag the team down..

If hes retained on the long service payments and isn't blockin development, question is what is he taking away.
Hang on! You just told me that was bollocks. I clearly stated that if he is on long service pay only and is Vulcans depth I can accept that. That is not much different to what you said.

Whenever he plays first grade he will be blocking development. We have plenty of centres available. I would have him below Neilson, Konrad, Laumape, Peyroux, Benry, and even Mannering or Carlos (worst case), and I'm sure I have missed a few others. If they are all out and we have no-one left in the NSW Cup or Juniors, then by all means bring him in. But unless that happens, don't bring him anywhere near first grade.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
I don't get that. He is a very reliable, 3rd or 4th prop. Made 18th man for Queensland, has experience. I can't see why people don't want him in the team?
size, we have 3 props about 6ft 105kg (rapira, lillyman and matagi) then we have matulino, much taller but the same weight. imo our props dont dominate bigger packs because they lack size. we have a small back row aswell which doesnt help.

edit: just looked at bakuyas vital stats, hes small too, possibly the smallest forward at cronulla.
fifita, ross, gibbs, lewis, gallen, heightington, tagatese, green.. that is a monster pack with depth

Last edited:

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Hang on! You just told me that was bollocks. I clearly stated that if he is on long service pay only and is Vulcans depth I can accept that. That is not much different to what you said.

Whenever he plays first grade he will be blocking development. We have plenty of centres available. I would have him below Neilson, Konrad, Laumape, Peyroux, Benry, and even Mannering or Carlos (worst case), and I'm sure I have missed a few others. If they are all out and we have no-one left in the NSW Cup or Juniors, then by all means bring him in. But unless that happens, don't bring him anywhere near first grade.
Manners, Laumape, Kon all starters, Neilson, benry injured so Ropati stepped up, dont see what's wrong with that.

Dont see Peyroux or Nielsen as an upgrade on Ropo.[DOUBLEPOST=1380862052][/DOUBLEPOST]Also you said you don't want him near first grade, me I just want what is best for the team.

Reactions: fanrrior
Manners, Laumape, Kon all starters, Neilson, benry injured so Ropati stepped up, dont see what's wrong with that.

Dont see Peyroux or Nielsen as an upgrade on Ropo.[DOUBLEPOST=1380862052][/DOUBLEPOST]Also you said you don't want him near first grade, me I just want what is best for the team.
Me too, but as I said, I don't think he is best. I would still rate him the bottom of the barrel. Simply his lack of speed, penchant for injury and lack of defensive prowess leaves me wanting.

Adam Blair is an interesting story.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...for-another-club/story-fni3gpz1-1226714290424

Wikipedia:
Blair was signed by the
Wests Tigers on a four-year deal beginning in 2012, reportedly receiving A$500,000 a year. Blair played in 23 games for the season, missing one game through suspension. However, with an average of 3 missed tackles a game and low yardage achieved with the ball, Blair was described as one of, "the biggest flops of 2012." Despite the criticism, coach Mick Potter praised his communication and leadership skills during the off-season.

In 2013, Blair was the only Wests Tigers player to play in every game. However, by round ten his poor form saw the Daily Telegraph asking, "Is Wests Tigers' Adam Blair the NRL's worst signing ever?" From the next game he was moved into the front row, where he stayed for the rest of the season. Blair said, "Everyone knows what I can bring and how I can play. I'm just not doing that enough for the team at the moment and for the people that want to see me do better for the team."

With that attitude I'd be sticking him in the Vulcans for sure...

tajhay

🏉
Adam Blair is an interesting story.

With that attitude I'd be sticking him in the Vulcans for sure...
I dont think its his attitude, he is being upfront and acknowledging that he hasn't performed for the team, and lived up to peoples expectations of him.

Regardless, its a moot point as he is not a warriors contracted player, and cannot play for the Vulcans.

i don't think manu will make a good backrower, he knows how to score tries on the wing, plus hes been up against small guys most of his career, put him in the middle at 28 years old and hes gonna have very little impact,

i dont think theres any chance of manu moving positions based on these facts, he might go to nsw cup if he underperforms but i doubt that will happen
I never looked at it like that, you have a good point to.
He runs into big traffic when he backs up his FB or giving his forwards a rest, can handle running into the big boppers being one himself and can make them back up to. Thats why he is met in 2-3s
Capable of putting on the big shots front on, it will just be his durability defensively, making 10-30 more tackles than he is used to making.
If big Dell and T-Rex can do it. I would support big Manu, if given an opportunity.

I never looked at it like that, you have a good point to.
He runs into big traffic when he backs up his FB or giving his forwards a rest, can handle running into the big boppers being one himself and can make them back up to. Thats why he is met in 2-3s
Capable of putting on the big shots front on, it will just be his durability defensively, making 10-30 more tackles than he is used to making.
If big Dell and T-Rex can do it. I would support big Manu, if given an opportunity.

yeah he does make good runs to start off the set but thats when the defence is still trying to get into position and its only once every few sets, where as a forward will be running at a strong defensive line once or twice a set.

his defense is also a liability, not used to making so many tackles, hes a very different player to T-Rex and some other good second rowers

good in the air, good with space infront of him, good one on one, why mess with a good thing?

I dont think its his attitude, he is being upfront and acknowledging that he hasn't performed for the team, and lived up to peoples expectations of him.

Regardless, its a moot point as he is not a warriors contracted player, and cannot play for the Vulcans.
It's a bit of a tangent I know. I guess he'd be going to the Vulcans in the metaphorical sense....

And as for his attitude, every one knows how good he can play except him.... He's forgotten.... Ha Ha... And needs a stint in the Vulcans to remember.... Along with a hefty pay cut...

I went for people I would like to spend some Vulcans time as opposed to who I think Will.

Johnson : Long kicking practice just for a couple of weeks , no more than a Month ideally, for mine that should see him stay out of the Vulcans for the rest of he's career as long as he keeps trying those kicks in FG. I would also have him come back wearing the 6 Jersey purely to do with the culture of the club because he is a stand off wearing a halfbacks jumper on a halfback fantasy as opposed to sensible numbering for the teams sake

Manu: As long as it takes to get him in condition for another position

Locke : Wing refresher course , play himself V laumape for that Left Wing......or train him at center and again give him all the time he needs to crack it , possibly Laumape on the left wing in that case.

How did I know you would choose Shaun Johnson? ;)

I'm gonna put it out there.....I choose Ropo!!!!

Reactions: Sup42

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
My Warriors squad...

1 SAM TOMKINS
2 GLEN FISIIAHI
3 DANE NIELSEN
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 KEVIN LOCKE
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 THOMAS LEULUAI

10 SUAIA MATAGI
11 FELETI MATEO
12 SIMON MANNERING
13 TODD LOWRIE

14 BEN MATULINO
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 JAYSON BUKUYA
17 BEN HENRY

My Vulcans team...

1. DAVID FUSITUA
2. VILIAMI LOLOHEA
3. DOMINIQUE PEYROUX
4. JEROME ROPATI
5. NGANI LAUMAPE
6. CHAD TOWNSEND
7. PITA GODINET
8. SIONE LOUSI
9. SILIVA HAVILI
10. CHARLIE GUBB
11. SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
12. JOHN PALAVI
13. DAVID BHANA

14. SAM LOUSI
15. RAYMOND FAITALA-MARINER
16. ALBERT VETE
17. CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
18. TANGI ROPATI

Heaps of possible inclusions including switching around the first 17...

FULLBACK. TANGI ROPATI, STEVE WAETFORD, JAMES BLACKWELL
WING. TANGI ROPATI, STEVE WAETFORD, ATELEA NAFETALAI
CENTRE. AGNATIUS PAASI, ATELEA NAFETALAI, STEVE WAETFORD
HALVES. TUIMOALA LOLOHEA, STEVE WAETFORD, TANGI ROPATI, MASON LINO, AARON NOOTAI
PROPS. NATHANIEL PETERU, JAMES TAYLOR, DANIEL PALAVI, PATRICK SIPLEY, HERMAN RETZLAFF,
HOOKER. ALEHANA MARA, AARON NOOTAI
2ND ROW. PATRICK SIPLEY, SIONE FEAO, MURRAY ITI, ROMAN HIFO,
LOCK. MURRAY ITI

Sure Ive missed some big names but thats a good start anyway. Team and depth looks strong...

Last edited:
yeah he does make good runs to start off the set but thats when the defence is still trying to get into position and its only once every few sets, where as a forward will be running at a strong defensive line once or twice a set.

his defense is also a liability, not used to making so many tackles, hes a very different player to T-Rex and some other good second rowers

good in the air, good with space infront of him, good one on one, why mess with a good thing?
Manu would take more runs in a set than the Warriors forwards. We normally see 4 backs hit ups before a forward gets involved.

Reactions: smc
Manu would take more runs in a set than the Warriors forwards. We normally see 4 backs hit ups before a forward gets involved.

ridiculous, manu's place is on the wing, thats where he's strongest, move manu in and where are we gonna score tries? konrad doing it all himself? if manu played 2nd row he wouldnt be as good as bukuya, benry, mannering or even mateo so whats the point?

ridiculous, manu's place is on the wing, thats where he's strongest, move manu in and where are we gonna score tries? konrad doing it all himself? if manu played 2nd row he wouldnt be as good as bukuya, benry, mannering or even mateo so whats the point?
You have totally missed my point. I am strongly against Manu moving positions.

You tried to brush Manu's hit ups off as simply having space in broken play from one kick return every few sets, while our forwards are making multiple hit ups every set. Have a closer look at the season we just saw. Our backs were doing the majority of our runs. We would be lucky to see 2 forwards take a hit up each set. Manu also comes in to take prop runs when needed. He is one of our strongest forwards, even though he is playing on the wing, but this is exactly where he needs to remain.

You have totally missed my point. I am strongly against Manu moving positions.

You tried to brush Manu's hit ups off as simply having space in broken play from one kick return every few sets, while our forwards are making multiple hit ups every set. Have a closer look at the season we just saw. Our backs were doing the majority of our runs. We would be lucky to see 2 forwards take a hit up each set. Manu also comes in to take prop runs when needed. He is one of our strongest forwards, even though he is playing on the wing, but this is exactly where he needs to remain.

okay I see what you mean but surely our club cant be that bad as to have our backs take more hitups then forwards? I think its more like the backs start off the set and the forwards take it from there, but you are right saying manu takes a hitup in the middle of the set when the forwards are tired. so i guess this ties back in to our forwards needing to be more dominant.

Reactions: Weno
okay I see what you mean but surely our club cant be that bad as to have our backs take more hitups then forwards? I think its more like the backs start off the set and the forwards take it from there, but you are right saying manu takes a hitup in the middle of the set when the forwards are tired. so i guess this ties back in to our forwards needing to be more dominant.
Our club really is that bad, that our forwards are not doing their fair share. You watch any 20 metre restart, where our forwards were already back, and not needing to ruch to get back, and you will still see 4 of our backs taking the hit ups. It is something that has irritated me for a few years. Our forwards should not be tiring as quickly as it seems, because they are only doing defence, and very rarely taking a limp run. Other teams forwards are able to do both.

Reactions: Weno

Inruin

Contributor
so when Manu was out injured did we score no tries? As for his metres he gains Laumpae ran for over 100m when he replaced Manu. I get the feeling there are a lot of false realities out there. If Manu goes to Vulcans/second row who will score the tries? make the hit ups? make the metres? the answer is who ever replaces him....not we can't move manu.

Reactions: gREVUS
so when Manu was out injured did we score no tries? As for his metres he gains Laumpae ran for over 100m when he replaced Manu. I get the feeling there are a lot of false realities out there. If Manu goes to Vulcans/second row who will score the tries? make the hit ups? make the metres? the answer is who ever replaces him....not we can't move manu.
manu could play prop, he plays that role atm from the back, 6ft 2 and 115kg, hes bigger than all our current props.. and wiki is there to show him how its done

not convinced manu would be able to handle the workrate, can you really guarantee he'll be better for the team in the forwards? will he even make the squad with all the forwards we have? not saying he won't but seems like a risk.

will he be better then bukuya? or matagi? I think we'd be losing a lot of experience on the edge and not gaining a lot at all of he moved