General Where to Next - Toyota Cup

Tintin_old

Great to hear home grown are getting signed.

A lot of under 20 boys will no longer qualify to play in the Toyota Cup next year due to their age. So where are the Warriors going to find replacements. Does anyone know of any young talent that has not been picked up yet who could make the cut?

Viking_old

A lot of under 20 boys will no longer qualify to play in the Toyota Cup next year due to their age. So where are the Warriors going to find replacements. Does anyone know of any young talent that has not been picked up yet who could make the cut?

They have a development squad of top young players that aren't contracted to other NRL clubs, most are 17 or under and train once or twice a week with a few games at the end of the year I think.

Jesbass_old

Not sure on the answer to your question, but welcome to the forum, Rio. Make yourself at home. :)

sxytime_old

One thing you can count on in this beautiful country of ours is there is no shortage of good Rugby League players produced.

The only problem we have now is aussie clubs are going to sign them alot younger :(

Tintin_old

Hypothetically, a young player who has not been picked up by the Development Squad is over the age of 17, playing club football. Do you recon they could get a look in?

Wiki_old

It is my understanding that a good core of the players will be eligible next year. And remember U20 means 20 and under. Sonny Fai played in the team even after his NRL debut (which was a few days after his 20th birthday).

But to answer your question, the next crop of players will come through. But it's a natural progression - not a squad getting replaced every year.

There were a number of players that, while were familiar names in Auckland, weren't big names in terms of New Zealand. The Junior Warriors has introduced us to a lot of new talent this year and I don't expect it to stop after this year.

Viking_old

Hypothetically, a young player who has not been picked up by the Development Squad is over the age of 17, playing club football. Do you recon they could get a look in?

It definately happens, some kids develop later than other or get into the game later and kick on. I don't think Set Sa played any league until after school. Malo Solomona didn't play any rep footy that I know of except the PIRLA Samoan side.

The development squad can only take so many but if the Warriors haven't shown interest in a player by 18 and that player wants to make a go of it then they're best to relocate to Aussie and get into the junior comps there. For instance if a player is the 4th best U18 prop in Auckland and the Warriors don't pick him up it doesn't mean he isn't in the top 20 U18 props in Australasia, if he'd been in Sydney he might make a another clubs development squad.

We had a 16yr old prop who didn't make any rep sides here, relocate to Qld and make rep sides there straight away and I think is now in the Cowboys system. The coaches up there couldn't understand why more Kiwis weren't going up there to trial. What we have in abundance here is big athletic players and judging on the poor form of the Cowboys U20s they could do with a few more Kiwis.