General Where has it gone wrong for the Warriors?

Matrix_old

Good article our forwards have turned into cream puffs !!!! The days of the huge Warriors forward pack seem to now be over we got rolled by the Titans forward pack what a disgrace !!!!

Jesbass_old

Great article, and he raises good points. It's nice to see that he, unlike some folk, isn't blaming our season on Misseur Jones.

sebastian_old

Quote" giavirtae - posted Aug 10 02:19 pm
This team ( warriors) were decimated right back at the beginning of the season when it was announced Stacey Jones was making a return. The confidence and the building the team had done throughout the end of last season culminating in a RLWC win was basically destroyed for the sake of a returning warrior who ( lets be honest ) was far past his best. Why they took a winning formula and threw it out the window is beyond me but what you are seeing is a result for such an action. '" Quote

I took note of this guys post who had posted at the end of that article & have put my own twist on it. After Nathen Fien won a RLWC as a halfback & himself & Michael Witt beat Melbourne in Melbourne In a Sudden Death Semi-Final last season both had great end of years, Nathen's went even longer but as soon as Stacey Jones was nudged out of reirement by Ivan & was signed this was an automatic backwards step to the enth degree & the shotgun blast to a already shaky Pre-Season. It was a terrible message to Fien & Witt that they we're not wanted after their 2008 efforts. Nathen Fien is now flying at the Dragons albiet with a highly compitent coach & will probabally be wearing a Premiership Ring after winning the Minor-Premiership to add to his 2008 RLWC winning ring. Michael Witt who has on the other hand vanished into the night isn't going to party like Fien but the point is these guys did a great job during the last half of last season & we're heading the Warriors North. My point Is If you/Ivan were going to throw them away, you/Ivan had better make sure the person you/Ivan were replacing them with would do a better job & kept the team heading North. Signing a retired star was like it or not an insult to what Fien & Witt had done for us last season. And Stacey Jones or not, he was always going to be a gamble, & boy did we lose the lot. The mistake though should not be put on Stacey's shoulders but Cleary's who threw Fien & Witt away, (who would've won the premiership If It wasn't for a red hot Manly in 2008) who should shoulder the blame.

Last edited by a moderator:

fitzy_old

great article. It's been something I have been going on about in threads on this site for months and months. How can any halves combo look anywhere near half decent when the forward pack is full of softies who, when the going gets tough go missing. For me this season has been highlighted (or low lighted) by the ineffectiveness of our forward pack. In the main IMO, they have been disgraceful.

DanKokoro_old

Yes.. this article is all well and good. Our forwards have been very poor recently. But what about the FIRST half of the season when our forwards were ripping it up!?! (Seriously...) We had awesome go forward and our problem wasn't getting within the opposition 20, it was scoring tries. Our attacking sets consisted of 5 wasted plays atleast 2 of which were inneffective inside balls to luck or lillyman, and then a bomb to manu. Chances of something good coming out of it.. about 15% including repeat sets and I still think that's being generous. Jones as first receiver is orchestrating all of these plays.. While I agree it's not all Jones' fault.. to say it's all the forwards fault is just as wrong

Fazz_old

Recruitment. Seriously that's where the season was lost. If we had simply retained the players on our books from last year (plus some of the juniors who were let go) instead of signing steaming piles of **** like Lillyman and Kemp and bring back Jones (ehich was probably always going to fail in hindsight)

Spence_old

Recruitment. Seriously that's where the season was lost. If we had simply retained the players on our books from last year (plus some of the juniors who were let go) instead of signing steaming piles of **** like Lillyman and Kemp and bring back Jones (ehich was probably always going to fail in hindsight)

We got Kemp for next to nothing, so how does signing a cheap winger force out some of our young forwards? I'm assuming they are who you are referring too, unless you are annoyed we released shortland.

Also, that "steaming pile of ****" Lillyman came off the bench and ran more metres than both our starting props together. Everyone commented on Ta'ai having a great game... Lillyman was on for 17 or so mins less than him and ran 20 more metres than him. I'm not trying to support Lillyman, as such, I would also much rather keep our young 20s players, but I don't know if one could call Lillyman and "steaming pile of ****" at the moment.

Fazz_old

Fair call Lillyman has played well the past month. I'm gunna bite the bullet on that one.

I just have an extreme bias against him because we could easily have used his money to keep Rapira who would be doing just as well imo. Also he might be giving Sam a kick up the arse and get him running a bit faster.

Kemp was just an offhand comment. He was fairly low risk.
I spoze we did unearth Louis Brown and Tai'ai this year so it could be worse. Can't imagine how angry Broncos fans are about their r&r

Northern_Union

Anyone here Mark Geyer today on the radio? He says that the season can be and has to be layed at the feet of Ivan Cleary. He also said that Cleary has made such a mess of the season that he needs to fall on his sword.

Fazz_old

He also said the warriors deserved to be kicked out the year we made the top 4...Absolute dribbler! In saying that even a blind squirril finds a nut every now and then...

gREVUS_old

I wonder if the whole thing comes down to a simple question - how can you release players from a team that can get you to the finals and look like they will build even stronger in the off season and then replace them with players who are untried, retired or experiemental at best.

Was there a salary cap issue? Were any of these players asking to be released? Because Hindsight is 20/20 and boy did he get it wrong.

fitzy_old

I said on another thread, how much influence does John Hart have in all this coming and going of players? I imagine it's quite a bit. Although Ivan can carry SOME of the blame, people seem to be saying it's ALL down to him. How much is he being pushed from behind to release some of these players? Possibly against his better judgement. Questions that hopefully some one out there will be able to enlighten me on.

Lego_Man_old

Yes.. this article is all well and good. Our forwards have been very poor recently. But what about the FIRST half of the season when our forwards were ripping it up!?! (Seriously...) We had awesome go forward and our problem wasn't getting within the opposition 20, it was scoring tries.

Yep, ive been talking about this for ages. Theyve probably just given up now knowing that no matter what they do, we cant penetrate the tryline anyway.

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah the forwards have been sh!t of late, no doubt. However I wouldn't back Jones to produce behind the best forward pack in the comp...what would he do with the go forward? Have a little extra time to get his bomb pin point?

The thing that annoys me about these articles, is that there is so much generic cliche BS written. This guy, when referring to Jones, simply states that "he hasn't been in the best form of his life – there's no player in the world who can produce the best every week, every season". What the hell does this mean? I could apply this statement to virtually every player in the NRL at some point this season. It's so vague...I have no idea why these writers can't just talk about specific 5th tackle options that they see, or specific deficiencies in a players game.

Lego_Man_old

Yeah the forwards have been sh!t of late, no doubt. However I wouldn't back Jones to produce behind the best forward pack in the comp...what would he do with the go forward? Have a little extra time to get his bomb pin point?

The thing that annoys me about these articles, is that there is so much generic cliche BS written. This guy, when referring to Jones, simply states that "he hasn't been in the best form of his life – there's no player in the world who can produce the best every week, every season". What the hell does this mean? I could apply this statement to virtually every player in the NRL at some point this season. It's so vague...I have no idea why these writers can't just talk about specific 5th tackle options that they see, or specific deficiencies in a players game.

Maybe Skinny_Ravs wrote that part of the article?

But yeah wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I think me, you and Iafeta should collaborate and write the league articles for the Herald.

Kabba_old

We got Kemp for next to nothing, so how does signing a cheap winger force out some of our young forwards? I'm assuming they are who you are referring too, unless you are annoyed we released shortland.

How much did the Warriors get Kemp for?