General Where are they now? - Warriors Edition

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Can't believe no one has mentioned how bad Michael Crockett was.

I think Robert Mears has been underrated on most people's lists.

A lot of our Aussie signings had a great year to go with some okay ones - Villasanti, McKinnon, Maloney

PJ was fantastic, Price was a monster for us, Campion added huge guts into our pack (considering he was told by doctors to give the game away before he came to us), Luck was the kind of player every team needs, Blake was the kind of player every fan tunes in to watch, Cleary gave us a sense of calm and organisation (did the same as a coach)

Byrne, Murphy, Morgan and Myles were dependable

Bell, Royal and Gatis were pretty mud. Pethybridge was pretty disappointing considering his first season in NRL was very promising.

Oudenryn was like Fish; you just wanted to see him get an opportunity to run in a straight line

Oh & Tookey was just hilarious, on and off the field

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyJ

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Can't believe no one has mentioned how bad Michael Crockett was.

I think Robert Mears has been underrated on most people's lists.

A lot of our Aussie signings had a great year to go with some okay ones - Villasanti, McKinnon, Maloney

PJ was fantastic, Price was a monster for us, Campion added huge guts into our pack (considering he was told by doctors to give the game away before he came to us), Luck was the kind of player every team needs, Blake was the kind of player every fan tunes in to watch, Cleary gave us a sense of calm and organisation (did the same as a coach)

Byrne, Murphy, Morgan and Myles were dependable

Bell, Royal and Gatis were pretty mud. Pethybridge was pretty disappointing considering his first season in NRL was very promising.

Oudenryn was like Fish; you just wanted to see him get an opportunity to run in a straight line

Oh & Tookey was just hilarious, on and off the field

Tookey was the man - how dare you impinge his honour in this way.

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Tookey was the man - how dare you impinge his honour in this way.

I assume you mean ;) at the end of your comment.

The Tooksta was the man, would love it if he came back for the reunion in the final game next year. Him, Okesene, Ali, Witt, Campion and Wade (& no doubt a tonne more) have given me some of my best memories of watching the Warriors

Reactions: Harlz and gREVUS

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
For me worst ever, has to be Andy Platt, and another name that no one else has mentioned and my second most hated ex Warrior, Mark "I'm more interested in going to graduation parties and being a tv celeb" Ellis. I'm more forgiving of less talented players on minor money, but those two turds were on telephone numbers.

Reactions: OMG

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Mark Ellis was only ever taken on as a club mascot, lets be honest. He was all about getting the club ratings up.

Fav Tookey moment watching him run down a winger that had a good 10-15 meter start on him at Mt Smart. For just that moment he was the fastest player in the game. And he got him as well. And i dont think i ever saw him run that hard again ever. Lesson Learned!

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Mark Ellis was only ever taken on as a club mascot, lets be honest. He was all about getting the club ratings up.

Fav Tookey moment watching him run down a winger that had a good 10-15 meter start on him at Mt Smart. For just that moment he was the fastest player in the game. And he got him as well. And i dont think i ever saw him run that hard again ever. Lesson Learned!

My favourite was when he scored a try(cant remember the opponent) after leaping up and taking a bomb

JimmyJ

U20's Player
Aug 23, 2014
Todd Byrne (Mr Speed) Warriors 2005-2007... Position Wing

Now a Freelance Journalist

todd-byrne.jpg
upload_2014-9-4_20-10-39.jpeg

todd byrne
Freelance journalist

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
While we are on best recruits I'd throw in Cleary. He went well as a player and that experience in Auckland helped with bringing him back to add him to the coaching staff which lead to him being promoted to head coach.

Sure his reign has some detractors but he is the only coach we haven't sacked.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
No need for a "Where are they now" for him.;)

I usually am a fan of him as a player and coach. This week he's the prick who could end our season.:mad:

Reactions: gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Cleary bought something the warriors hadnt seen in years when he arrived in NZ - consistency, his kicking ratios were truly a thing to love after years of watching Kevin and Stacey miss from right in front of the sticks

Reactions: Harlz and snake77

JimmyJ

U20's Player
Aug 23, 2014
Hitro Okesene inaugural Warrior

10442770.jpg

Okesene, a starting prop in the Warriors famous first game against the Broncos in March 1995 that the fans really fell for.
He really was a cult hero at the club, the way his hair flew about and with his style of play," legendary Warriors halfback Stacey Jones says. "He was full on but off the field he was a real nice guy."
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10442759/Cult-hero-Hitro-Okesenes-Cumbrian-sunset

Now working in Construction in the UK. Cumbria

Reactions: OMG

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Cleary bought something the warriors hadnt seen in years when he arrived in NZ - consistency, his kicking ratios were truly a thing to love after years of watching Kevin and Stacey miss from right in front of the sticks

I'll never forget Gene Ngamu costing us a game by missing right next to the sticks against the Bulldogs...

Reactions: gREVUS

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Hitro Okesene. Now working in Construction in the UK. Cumbria
10 Hitro Okesene - Living and working in construction in Carlisle, Cumbria, England.
122 Todd Byrne - Freelance journalist in Sydney Link

Updated. Cheers.

Actually got to catch up with Hitro when he was over last week. Still the man!

Keep em coming guys. Will revisit the list during the offseason to keep it up to date...

Reactions: tajhay and JimmyJ

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings