NRL NRL Round 1, 2024 Discussion

Love to see it
IMG_8599.jpeg

Hard to make judgments based on rd 1 but I really do think the broncs will miss Kurt Cape-Wah this year. Whilst his work never shows up in the stats, his experience is clearly something the broncs will be missing in a team otherwise filled with raw youth. They were clearly missing that cool head to get them back into the grind when it mattered last night.

I sincerely think so.
  • Renoylds did not look great yesterday.
  • Cobbo looked terrible
  • Haas didn’t look as dominant
  • Pikura is made of glass
  • They lost too much experience
And most importantly
  • Walsh hasn’t leant a fucking thing. All he cares about is the highlight reel and still refuse to do the hard yards on attack or defence.
That’s the feeling I get with the Broncos also.

They just looked like a rag tag bunch of former and current decent players that were put together at the last minute.

Still hard to tell with only one round in but they just didn’t look great at all…..but from first impressions they ain’t gonna threaten a premiership this year and that’s awesome to ponder.

Haas looked like he felt he was in the wrong team and the type of player that needs all hands on deck to perform at his best, Reynolds is an old hat now and he’s well aware of how team dynamics plays a massive role in how successful a team is….or isn’t.

My guess is that their team culture is kaka and it showed and your only as good as the players around you.

Cmon over Haas, you know we’ve got it going on here…..play for a real team going places.

Walsh ain’t gonna enjoy a long career, he’s mercurial & talented but prefers to feed his ego at the expense of his team.

Hard to make judgments based on rd 1 but I really do think the broncs will miss Kurt Cape-Wah this year. Whilst his work never shows up in the stats, his experience is clearly something the broncs will be missing in a team otherwise filled with raw youth. They were clearly missing that cool head to get them back into the grind when it mattered last night.

Yeah I definitely agree. A few years ago they won the wooden spoon, and then the Nek year they were sailing until they had a few injuries mid year and ended up missing the 8. For me, a lot of that came down to experience and while the young fullas could turn it on on their day, the week in week out grind seemed too much for such a young team.

I think they'll slide this year, not heaps, but I've got them coming 7th- 5th this year

That’s the feeling I get with the Broncos also.

They just looked like a rag tag bunch of former and current decent players that were put together at the last minute.

Still hard to tell with only one round in but they just didn’t look great at all…..but from first impressions they ain’t gonna threaten a premiership this year and that’s awesome to ponder.

Haas looked like he felt he was in the wrong team and the type of player that needs all hands on deck to perform at his best, Reynolds is an old hat now and he’s well aware of how team dynamics plays a massive role in how successful a team is….or isn’t.

My guess is that their team culture is kaka and it showed and your only as good as the players around you.

Cmon over Haas, you know we’ve got it going on here…..play for a real team going places.

Walsh ain’t gonna enjoy a long career, he’s mercurial & talented but prefers to feed his ego at the expense of his team.
I saw it a bit differently. I think a lot of teams would have capitulated under the pressure the Roosters put them under. I expected a blowout after the Manu try. But they came back a bit.

That said, I definitely see Broncos as weaker this year. It's hard to top last year. All that brilliant youth in one team, but without Flegler and Capewell, someone has to step up alongside Haas. I also don't know if Haas can repeat last year's effort. Would be pretty tough.

Young players have enthusiasm, but a few losses can drag them down.

If they do enough to make top 5 anything can happen. But I can't see a weaker Broncos beating out a stronger Manly, Roosters, Warriors and a cannier Storm and Penrith.

The president of the San Francisco 49ers has made the stunning revelation that he is considering buying a stake in an NRL club – possibly making it Australia’s version of Wrexham AFC, the lower division football club owned by Ryan Reynolds.

Apart from heading one of world sport’s iconic brands, Al Guido is also chairman and chief executive of Elevate Sports Ventures, a leading sports consultancy.

He was the main speaker at the NRL’s Business and Sport conference the day before the historic season-opening double-header at Allegiant Stadium.

In a wide-ranging interview later in that day, Guido backed the NRL’s push into the US – but said it should consider opening the season at Levi’s Stadium outside of San Francisco, warning ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys against keeping matches solely in Vegas.

His most surprising remarks, however, were about buying an NRL club.

Last July, the 49ers’ investment arm took ownership of famous English football team Leeds United.

“I don’t want to comment as to what’s ongoing at the Niners,” Guido said. “But we like to be thought of as multi-sport ownership. And again, it’s not a new concept. Fenway Sports Group has bought multiple franchises.

“We will look at anything that has a passionate fan base because, to us, it starts with people coming through the gates and supporting it. The reality is you have a pretty good commercial opportunity [in the NRL].

Asked specifically if he would consider buying an NRL club, Guido replied: “Would we take a look? Absolutely.”

When it was suggested he should make Russell Crowe at South Sydney an offer he couldn’t refuse, Guido smiled: “He can refuse.”

With record annual grants that easily outstretch the salary cap, it takes a lot of spending for NRL clubs to no longer finish the year in the black.

When Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court bought a 75 per cent stake in the club in 2005, they paid only $3 million for it. Last year, it was valued at $45 million.

Now, 10 of the 17 clubs are either privately or part-privately owned.

Guido sees a possible synergy with an NRL club similar to that of Wrexham AFC, which Reynolds and fellow actor and businessman Robert McElhenney bought in 2020. An ensuing Netflix docuseries gave the club global exposure.

“If you look at what Ryan Reynolds and the team have done with Wrexham,” he said. “People love live sports. It’s always been strong. Some argued when live sports came back online post COVID that it was the COVID bounce. And I don’t think it was, I think what COVID did is it didn’t necessarily change anything. It accelerated everything.”

Guido acknowledged that the NRL’s push into the US, mostly to ride the wave of sports betting that’s swept across the country since it was legalised in several states, was very ambitious – but not foolhardy.

He recalls some NFL team owners being against the NFL’s successful push into overseas markets by playing matches in London, Germany, Brazil and other countries.

“I think the NRL is on to something, but I will tell them and I will tell all the fans – it’s gonna take time,” Guido said. “I mean, the NFL … they call it the biggest, biggest league in the world. It took a long time for our international strategy to really pay off in those markets. I mean, we’re 10 years into an international strategy.

“Rugby league is one where NFL fans will add it on. It’s an add-on. Americans love other sports. I would say there’s an interest in the physicality, right?”

I've got a question about people mentioning the NRL wants a slice of the betting market. By that do you mean the extra viewership or do betting companies have to give a percentage back to the sport they're putting wagers on for? Never knew that but I guess it would make sense.

Walsh just giving up. No fucking heart
Do you think its lack of heart or just young and dumb, lacking in maturity? Does seem like a bit of a sook when things get tough or go against him.

The play where Walsh dropped the bomb and then rushed out of the line on the next play putting a shoulder in to the back of the halfback when the ball had gone was such a nothing play. Can't imagine a fullback like CNK doing that. He would have been back in position, working hard across field to cover his try line.

Do you think its lack of heart or just young and dumb, lacking in maturity? Does seem like a bit of a sook when things get tough or go against him.

The play where Walsh dropped the bomb and then rushed out of the line on the next play putting a shoulder in to the back of the halfback when the ball had gone was such a nothing play. Can't imagine a fullback like CNK doing that. He would have been back in position, working hard across field to cover his try line.
Even when Walsh gets tackled hard you can see him mouthing off having a sook.

The old saying.
" Young dumb and full of cum " springs to mind.
Has a lot of growing up to experience yet.

Back