General What's Missing From The Warriors?

jonno

jonno

After listening to Taukeiaho talking about how he improved only after he left South Auckland it's got me wondering...

Is it right to blame South Auckland for our inconsistent performances over the years... Players who come from outside of South Auckland seem to be a lot more consistent than the ones who live just below Mt Smart on the map.

So must the clean out continue until we have 90% of players in FG and NSW cup who have either come from somewhere else (Wellington, Aussie, wherever) or are from South Auckland but have spent a couple of years at another club (Ligi Sao) and have learned how to play footy properly?

The rookie pathway for kids from South Auckland to the Warriors FG side could be U20s, overseas club, back to NZ for reserve grade, first grade...

That makes it a lot harder for them to achieve their goals, as they have to plan on getting picked up by another club, which in turn makes them much better people for the challenge...

Opinions?

Reactions: 1 user

KiwiWarrior

Any success stories from South Auckland? Manu perhaps
I think there is good and bad scenes/cultures in all suburbs cities countries
Seems a little simplistic to me to blame it on South Auckland

Danpatmac

probably more to do with coaching than geography... but culture may play some part

Tezza91

Should go to Canterbury and Waikato get some harty farmers and co. We keep finding the Louis's and the hurrells in Sth Auckland. We should be looking for the mccaws and reads and retalliks and whitelocks and Fitzpatricks and shelfords that's where I reckon we will find them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Selector

Should go to Canterbury and Waikato get some harty farmers and co. We keep finding the Louis's and the hurrells in Sth Auckland. We should be looking for the mccaws and reads and retalliks and whitelocks and Fitzpatricks and shelfords that's where I reckon we will find them.

Kieran Read is from South Auckland.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Hurrell is not from South Auckland and neither was Packer or Laumape, both of whom had well documented discipline problems.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

It's probably more to do with getting them away from their comfort zone. Away from their family and some of their friends and can concentrate on football.

Some guys will flourish at home around their family while other would be better moving on. Figuring who this applies to is the hard thing as usually A - you don't want to move a player on unless you have to maybe due to lack of effort or behavioural issues or B - It's a decision between players on who you keep and who you let go.

While we are using Taukeiaho as an example add C - because your Elliott and err yeah can't explain that one.

I don't think South Auckland is a problem unless the players is hanging around the wrong type of people. You will get that anywhere.

wallacenz

wallacenz

South Auckland is a huge area. Its not a small community where people hang out together, you have Penrose, Mt Wellington, Mangere, Onehunga, Otahuhu, Otara, Manukau, Manurewa, Papakura, Ardmore, Clevedon, Karaka, Pukekohe, Waiuku, Tuakau, and all the sub-suburbs in and around those places, Clendon, Pune, Patumahoe etc etc

brightman

brightman

The rookie pathway for kids from South Auckland to the Warriors FG side could be U20s, overseas club, back to NZ for reserve grade, first grade...
Here it is in a coconutshell Jonno. NZRL doesn't have the development pathways from a young age right through to u20 that ARL do. Much the same as the NZRU and the ARU. Mt Wellington posted an article quoting an ex NZRL selector that spelt it out, Kiwis have better natural talent but lack the development.

jonno

jonno

Here it is in a coconutshell Jonno. NZRL doesn't have the development pathways from a young age right through to u20 that ARL do. Much the same as the NZRU and the ARU. Mt Wellington posted an article quoting an ex NZRL selector that spelt it out, Kiwis have better natural talent but lack the development.
So how is it that our u20s team, full of kids who've come through our vastly inferior junior development system, is able to be the most successful team in that comp?

I don't buy the whole bigger stronger younger than the aussies bs. These kids can play but they don't get motivated to kick on to the highest levels of the sport...

The defence, the 1% off the ball work, the support play. All that stuff seems to be irrelevant.

Maybe taukeiaho is talking about the South Auckland state of mind that he needed to escape before he could begin reaching his potential?

koolkat

koolkat

.most of are talented athletes come out of South Auckland,Michael jones,Jonu Lomu , David Tua,Joseph Parker,Mark Hunt,Val and Steven Adams,SBW.most of the black Sox can't name them all but they are world champions can't be geographical IMO

Last edited:
teetsbei

teetsbei

.most of are talented athletes come out of South Auckland,Michael jones,Jonu Lomu , David Tua,Joseph Parker,Mark Hunt,Val and Steven Adams,SBW.most of the black Sox can't name them all but they are world champions can't be geographical IMO

Both Adams are from Rotaz and steven went to school in wellington

SBW was raised in Mt Albert, Pretty sure he went to Owairaka

Michael Jones is from Tat in West Auckland, went to kelston boys

I knewa couple oif international softball players from my school and they were from central or west aux or outside of auks

koolkat

koolkat

Uh I got Jonu right, so there.i thought it is where you where born not what school you went too

Selector

Both Adams are from Rotaz and steven went to school in wellington

SBW was raised in Mt Albert, Pretty sure he went to Owairaka

Michael Jones is from Tat in West Auckland, went to kelston boys

I knewa couple oif international softball players from my school and they were from central or west aux or outside of auks

Valerie Adams went to Southern Cross Campus in Mangere a suburb in South Auckland.

And last I checked she is a double Olympic champion, Four time world champion and 3 time commonwealth champion.

Last edited:
Sup42

Sup42

Tough place South Auckland.

I escaped in my late twenties.

Keep having reoccurring nightmares that someone will notice me and I get deported back there.

In all seriousness it can be a great place to live and the problems by in large come down to lack of jobs etc.

I don't know what blaming a geographical area is going to achieve ......there are plenty of other tough spots you can spend your formative years in.....some will let their environment influence them.....some will have little or no choice.....but at the end of the day sport is a way out.....a way that needs no excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
snake77

snake77

Keep having reoccurring nightmares that someone will notice me and I get deported back there.
I have the same feeling about my home town in the Bay of Plenty. Hell me and my mates growing up use to joke it must have a magnet cause everyone kept moving back but still complained about the place.

Your last comment is a good one. I think the clubs issues aren't a geographical area.

The kids growing up in South Auckland would get better coaching then I used to in the Bay of Plenty. There is obviously a lot of talent there otherwise all of the NRL clubs wouldn't be heading there to scout talent. It's more the people around the individual. Any location you will get bad influences and a lot of examples of talented people who could have gone far but didn't either due to injury or fell of the rails maybe due to drinking or doing drugs etc. Some people will use those people as motivation while some will still hang out with the bad influences.