General What's in a nickname?

2big2strong_old

I appreciate both of your honesty on my username, but racism was never my intention. Like I said, my best mate had it tattooed accross his chest (from his Junior Kiwi's days) and he passed at my 21st birthday. All the boys often say it out of respect for our brother and when I joined the forum it was the only thing that came to mind.

I'm not black, I'm a mixed breed and probably the same colour as Sonny Bill.

ultimatefan_old

Took a music quiz, came out on top so that's how the username came about. Pretty crap, but ah well

JonB_old

shot man, you could see how it could be seen as a racial statement though.... Or how I could see that.

Stinks about our friend man.

From what I have seen there are not many black people in New Zealand or Aus, I reserve that word for Africans, they are proper black.

2big2strong_old

shot man, you could see how it could be seen as a racial statement though.... Or how I could see that.

Stinks about our friend man.

From what I have seen there are not many black people in New Zealand or Aus, I reserve that word for Africans, they are proper black.

Yeah absolutely, but at the time it honestly didn't even cross my mind.

I never refer to anyone as black, I usually refer to everyone by their race or if I'm joking around I'll say 'darkies' or 'brownies' or 'pakeha'. I'm now glad that I posted the reasons surrounding my user name, I never would of guessed how people would perceive it (ignorance). But now I can see why I had quite a lot of run ins when I first joined the forum, people were probably thinking 'here's another trouble maker that doesn't like white people'.

Like I said, I'm a half cast and my biggest hero in life is my scottish grandfather. I'm proud of my pakeha heritage just as much as my Maori heritage and will often stick up for pakehas when friends or family bring up the us vs them debate. Cheeky darkies...

2big2strong_old

they are proper black.

The blackest people I have ever seen in my life are from an island off the coast of the Soloman Islands. Blacker than any african I've ever seen and I work with a lot of Africans. So black they are purple.

Ronnie_7_old

Haha...that's interesting, I was all but sure it was because you loved Cristiano Ronaldo (as he also wears the number 7 shirt..)

Does he? Haha never thought it would be taken any different than it being my name and number.Thinking outside of the square huh?

JonB_old

The blackest people I have ever seen in my life are from an island off the coast of the Soloman Islands. Blacker than any african I've ever seen and I work with a lot of Africans. So black they are purple.

I saw some kenyans and they were dark skinned, I saw some Tanzanians and they were really dark skinned, then I met Phillip from Uganda and he is purple black, which is as far as I know as black as black can get.

So yeah i know what you mean about purple black ay.

Lego_Man_old

Yeah absolutely, but at the time it honestly didn't even cross my mind.

I never refer to anyone as black, I usually refer to everyone by their race or if I'm joking around I'll say 'darkies' or 'brownies' or 'pakeha'. I'm now glad that I posted the reasons surrounding my user name, I never would of guessed how people would perceive it (ignorance). But now I can see why I had quite a lot of run ins when I first joined the forum, people were probably thinking 'here's another trouble maker that doesn't like white people'.

Like I said, I'm a half cast and my biggest hero in life is my scottish grandfather. I'm proud of my pakeha heritage just as much as my Maori heritage and will often stick up for pakehas when friends or family bring up the us vs them debate. Cheeky darkies...

Haha that is the exact stereotype i got - especially with the avatar of the 2 massive intimidating looking islander guys that you used to have. This thread has offered some insight for sure.

Kav_old

My surname is Kavanagh - an Irish name pronounced Kav-an-ah; hence my nick name which I have had most of my 53 years. Most people, when asking how to spell it, start with Cav (and some continue on with a variety of spellings).

Kav