Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
It's the sink or swim development contract for bringing on young middles (think Vete and Lisone as a pair, Papalii, Katoa, Ale) it gives them an incentive to debut but ultimately leaves the club with the benefit of cap and roster control upgrading the more promising later down the track.

Worst case you let them go sign elsewhere if they don't kick on. Best case scenario you get value for money.

It's the plodders that stick around too long that are the gamble. You'd have to be offering value for money if a club kept you around hoping you're a late bloomer.

Sorry Bunty I still love you
The fact they were willing to get rid of the Kepu’s and others the way they did makes me think the ones we have really are the ones we see a bright future for.

Promoting young, inexperienced players is more on judgement, as they have not performed at the level they have been promoted to. Also it will take time for them to do so. The Warriors have previously been poor at developing players but seem to be more on to it now.
Yeah. It seems to be an art form with no way to make certain

Anyone else surprised to see Jacob Laban get upgraded to a Top 30 spot? Was it necessary when he had another year left on a Development deal?
I realise Sifakula is injured but he, Kalani Going & Leka Halasima were all preferred ahead of him for starting roles in the NSW Cup side when everyone was available.
If memory serves he correct, defensively he's not yet at NRL standard
Not surprised at all, had good qualities looks a decent footballer in the few games I seen him in.

Still not too late for Bunty, we could see more offloads next year with Webster wanting everything faster. I think offloads are within him rather than developing footwork.

I'll never say never, but f**k me the love Bunty gets around here does my head in lol.

The blokes played 7 seasons and has had 0 improvement in him for about 5 years. Many players had career years under Webby and imo Bunty went backwards.

Solid, reliable player but we won't win a premiership with him in the 17

I'll never say never, but f**k me the love Bunty gets around here does my head in lol.

The blokes played 7 seasons and has had 0 improvement in him for about 5 years. Many players had career years under Webby and imo Bunty went backwards.

He seems really likable and always puts in. But he just can’t bend the line.

I’m not sure he regressed as much as others just overtook him and mistakes and penalties at vital times didn’t help his cause. Over the years he’s always retained his spot the following season though not really adding much, being dropped might make him and Ale hungrier I’m hoping. Shouldn’t be forgotten what a defensive rock he is.

I really think the Sharks have the best to offer us for AFB in the way of Sydney teams.

BHU, Hunt, Nikora, Tuku, Mulitalo, Kaufusi

Also notice they are releasing a few players, maybe they are clearing some cash. Wonder if he will pay Fitzi a visit.

bort
Jaws
20 minutes ago
#5,642
It’s no so simple as finding a million dollars for AFB either. They want a comparable player coming back their way.

We’re probably one of the better placed clubs to make that happen.

BHU is off after this year, and could be most likely for. Bro was living with him has no moved too. Warriors would just need to make him an acceptable offer to make it work.

Kaufusi wouldn’t be as high value and I think has mostly lived in NSW, but he is mutual option for ‘25 so we could push him their way if they are offering guaranteed contract and extension. Much further from the like for like they are hoping to get even remotely close to.

Either of those two finds a decent amount of the money needed.

Tapuha maybe would go if he felt it was a better opportunity. Currently on Dev with us and pretty deep on our middles list. Frees up basically nothing though so would have to be a package.

Hunt has Māori blood but has never lived there. No obviously reason he’d wanna go unless there was an decent upgrade involved.

Tigers: Hard to imagine Klem going without a very favourable extension to an already healthy contract. Utoikamanu is MO but if he was happy to stay there is a fair argument to just keep him.
Maybe if Papali’i wanted to move back?

Dogs: can’t see who they have they could send. Warriors gave them Curran for nothing already though, Gould has contacts there I guess.
Think Gould just likes lunch on the club credit card.

Dragons: A Molo maybe?

Warriors don’t hold all the cards - he’s forcing his way out either way. But if you can make them a decent offer they have enough negotiating power with his release to send him your way. We could have options to make ourselves where the warriors will release him to.

Love this!!!! Thought we might play this one a bit harder due to the long term deal and being such a high paid player….

Just went back and had a read of this, interesting how long mentions the 3 club situation of Warriors wanting a storm player and storm needing to agree on a dragons player for dragons to land AFB. Likely hypothetical but interesting because dragons have been the team that has been reported to likely land AFB, would love it if there was a hint in there and the storm player was NAS that he uses as an example in the article.

Send AFB to Sharks, trade for BHU and Tapuha, then trade Tapuha and Volkman to Tigers for Ice. 😂🤷‍♂️

BHU
Egan
Marata
Ice
Capewell
Tohu

Bench
CHT/TMM
Walker
Barnett
Ford

Reserves
Jazz, Ale, Bunty and a bunch of promising juniors

Send AFB to Sharks, trade for BHU and Tapuha, then trade Tapuha and Volkman to Tigers for Ice. 😂🤷‍♂️

BHU
Egan
Marata
Ice
Capewell
Tohu

Bench
CHT/TMM
Walker
Barnett
Ford

Reserves
Jazz, Ale, Bunty and a bunch of promising juniors
Thats about as good as Jazz and Bunty are in todays game.

Back