General what do you guy's think?

D Generation X_old

what do you guy's think do you think guttenbeil will resign at the end of this year yea or no he is 30 years old i think he will probably stay about max2 years

Wiki_old

EDIT: Actually I take that back.

I hope he stays for one more year. He is very much part of this club just like Stacey was. Of course not as big as Stacey, but he has been there for the longest now.

I would say keep him for one more year but start to phase Sonny Fai into the mix.

Iafeta_old

My thoughts are well known on this.

Awen is consistently one of our better performers week in, week out. Sometimes he gets drilled backwards, but he also has a habit of rolling over the Ad line and then coming back for more.

The thing is, you deduct $100K off his salary for the loyalty scheme the salary cap has - he's the only player eligible for that. If you pay him $150K, you pay him effectively $50K under the salary cap opening up $100K to spend elsewhere.

PHANTOM MENACE_old

And with the cap going up and and 100k off his contract it mite be good to keep him around

Sinbad_old

In todays paper they have let him talk to other clubs and have stated that they have yet decided whether they are going to offer him anything.

PHANTOM MENACE_old

We mite be actually in the market with the Salary increase and letting Awen and Toopi go and maybe Webb.

After we pay the fine we mite have some left over

Iafeta_old

Mathew Ridge had an interesting column on it, which I fullheartedly agree with.

Inexperienced NRL coaching staff, inexperienced NRL management staff, Guttenbeil in this environment is a key squad leader, just as much importance as Price and Wiki due to the fact he's been HERE and done it HERE for so long.

I'd offer him $150,000, if he doesn't take it - fine, but that way you're committing $50K only to the salary cap for one of your 25 players. Not bad, given the player is more than likely, injury permitting, going to play practically every match.

Iafeta_old

PHANTOM MENACE said:
We mite be actually in the market with the Salary increase and letting Awen and Toopi go and maybe Webb.

After we pay the fine we mite have some left over

I don't think the fine plays a part in the cap issue.

The cap has increased to $4m, from what $3.36m?

So there's $600K to spend, but, you have to counteract that with the fact that the other clubs also have $600K to spend as well.

Toopi is a definite no brainer release as far as I'm concerned, I'd be surprised if they let Webb go unless they got someone like Greenshields or McKinnon as his replacement, and for reasons already explained I'd like to see Awen retained.

The other player who I thought was off contract that is a must retain now is Evarn Tuimavave. His form warrants a new 3 year contract in my book. Martin I'm moving towards letting go, but his form has been solid too. He just doesn't have that explosiveness that we perhaps need out wide.

Sinbad_old

That cap increase is actually in Aussie dollars so it actually gives us more dosh for the spend ! And that brings a question to mind, "what currency rate do they use to determine what our cap is? Is it the rate at the start of the season or the muiddle or the end? Could mean quite a difference in $$$."

sebastian_old

Sign evarn yes but WEBB is MUST. We have to keep him, he is our BEST player, its as simple as that. Never f*cks up, devastating on attack.
Noone else is worth saving, if anythings left over sign gutts for 1 year,

2big2strong_old

Greenshields has already signed with The Titans.

The Warriors cap is determined in AU$. we give players contracts in australian currency and them or their managers convert it. it doesn't alter our cap at any time

Jesbass_old

Iafeta said:
My thoughts are well known on this.

Awen is consistently one of our better performers week in, week out. Sometimes he gets drilled backwards, but he also has a habit of rolling over the Ad line and then coming back for more.

The thing is, you deduct $100K off his salary for the loyalty scheme the salary cap has - he's the only player eligible for that. If you pay him $150K, you pay him effectively $50K under the salary cap opening up $100K to spend elsewhere.