General Whangerei trial

Raurimu Massive_old

Thanks for the update RM - how did Fish and Locke go?

They were sweet mate - some real blinding turns of pace and combined well with other players. A couple of times Fish looked to be covered but put on a quick blast of speed to go clear, and Locke looked hungry. A relatively minor thing in the scope of the game, but one of the standout plays from Locke for me was calling for a high ball that the winger was coming over to cover - took the catch at pace and made good ground on the back of it, but the communication was outstanding.

Raurimu Massive_old

Only 5000 crowd...thats pathetic

They should play the pre season games in hamilton or rotorua, or even wellywood

Mate I'd be amazed if the crowd figure was that low. Definitely closer to 9,000 for mine. This was a big crowd to see a Warriors second string team play a bunch on nobodies - the North Harbour game was against another NRL team and only drew around 10,000 in a city of a million, and the Blues vs Hurricanes game up here a couple of weeks ago only drew around 8,000 for a match featuring All Blacks.

All you whingers - go find another parade to rain on, this was a bloody good event. For everyone moaning there's no preseason match in your town, get in the ear of your town's stadium managers, and hope they can convince Warriors management that you'll pull a big enough crowd to cover the extra costs associated with travelling there. Bet it won't happen.

fanrrior_old

Mate I'd be amazed if the crowd figure was that low. Definitely closer to 9,000 for mine. This was a big crowd to see a Warriors second string team play a bunch on nobodies - the North Harbour game was against another NRL team and only drew around 10,000 in a city of a million, and the Blues vs Hurricanes game up here a couple of weeks ago only drew around 8,000 for a match featuring All Blacks.

All you whingers - go find another parade to rain on, this was a bloody good event. For everyone moaning there's no preseason match in your town, get in the ear of your town's stadium managers, and hope they can convince Warriors management that you'll pull a big enough crowd to cover the extra costs associated with travelling there. Bet it won't happen.

I'm in Chch so I doubt that would be happening any time soon.

Raurimu Massive_old

Just seen a figure of 6000 mentioned as well - 5, 6, 9... you'd think they could a more accurate number eh? I'll be gutted if it was as low as 6000.

Big Gee_old

Just seen a figure of 6000 mentioned as well - 5, 6, 9... you'd think they could a more accurate number eh? I'll be gutted if it was as low as 6000.

Maybe 6000 tickets were prepurchased or paid by eftpos/credit card and the other 3000 ticket sales were in cash :cl . Now there are a few bags of cash around to top up players contract negotiations later this year .

mr frank white_old

like i said, reporting crowd numbers for anything be it a protest, or a sporting event is always heavily influenced by bias...

surfin_old

I always get a laugh in the local papers over here,( Coromandel) whenever there is a protest group doing something often no reporter is sent and the stories "facts" are done by one of the group and make a statement like " over 100 people turned out" but then they also submit a photo of the group present and rarely do the numbers match up. Of course 50 of them might be camera shy.

2big2strong_old

Ok, here's a tiny bit of footage from the Whangarei trial that was posted by the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles...

Not much but all that there is ATM as far as I'm aware.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-T64-oBs20&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Beeteejay_old

Hurrell was hugely distructive with the ball in hand. Would be hard to leave him out in round 1 on that performance. Wasn't tested defensively against a weaker opposition however.

Great to see J'ro get through about 75 mins work. Hopefully he came through it ok. Some touches of class in his performance.

Interesting to see Locke playing in the halves in the second half.

Good to see Packer get through plenty of work, ahead of round 1.