General Whangerei trial

2big2strong_old

139216990.jpg

So Destructive....

SMAC19_old

just got back...1hr 40min to glenfield..phew..not bad

1st how come the beers were only $5.50 & Albany WAS $8..WTF

in the vulcans-juniors game the vulcans were totally in control..dominated over the whole park, although quite a few last year 20's are now vulcans so read what u will...thought they looked to have a heap of running options in the halves 2 last year..ws only Pita & daylight last year..now quite a few steepers...ol rusty bristow was back..like the mongrel the kid has...overall team looked very strong

main game stand outs for me

Hurrell..demolition man, f*k how much size has he put on..damn thighs make Beatrice Faumuina blush..bumping off,breaking through, running over top,carrying 2-3 defenders..only injury will stop this kid

Carlos T..thought he Played really well, organizing & yelling plays through out to..deceptively strong for a slim jim...think Godinet could learn off Carlos how to organize a game

J-Ro..looks to be back..his speed looked good, very powerful with ball in hand ..set up 2 tries..his D was good too

Louis B..mr energizer bunny..ran over a few guys...always backing up

Penehe..went aright..never saw him stretch out though

Mara took the gaps round marker when there..got caught out a few times being slow to marker..thats his main job so that was only blemish for him

Mutts & Packer wore down the smaller opposition

Locke was solid as...interesting 2nd half when Fish went to fulback..Locke stayed on in the ctrs..him & fish ran off each other,their combined speed breaks ripped the D apart..sign of things to come?

Tai,Taukihehoe,Ikahifo did their job..i think Sam Lousi will be in vulcans for sure..unless he learns to run on to the ball & stop receiving it stationary his impact will be minimal..Inu was solid...man how long does he take to take the kicks..xmas comin bro!

was only a club team but enjoyable game to watch...2 weeks to go

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAC19_old

^haha..all the cuzzies out..jeez dunno how many people around me thought the vulcans were the u20 team...over heard bloke next to me..see that was Shaun Johnson that scored..stay off that stuff bro!

blain91_old

Thanks for the update SMAC, man I cant wait to see Hurrell unleashed. I think he will start off in the Vulcans, and McClennen will say force yourself into the team too see what hes got in him.

Fazz_old

Sounds about right. Who else have we got? Lol. His trial forms been alright from what i've read on here too. Hopefully he's up to facing the Manly pack too.

d13_old

Cheers for all the feedback,almost feel as though I was their for real & no injuries to come from the match which is great news

SMAC19_old

Sounds about right. Who else have we got? Lol. His trial forms been alright from what i've read on here too. Hopefully he's up to facing the Manly pack too.

i hope so too...sure his 1st touch 2day was a drop ball

been around for few years now...his & ukuma 's time 2 stand up

cant be apprentice's 4 life

krs_64_old

i hope so too...sure his 1st touch 2day was a drop ball

been around for few years now...his & ukuma 's time 2 stand up

cant be apprentice's 4 life

Oh another who made the jump :) Just curious how did Locke and Fish score their tries ? and who do you reckon had the better game from the back ?

LoganBear_old

Hurrell's a late scratch from the game with sickness/injury. Shouldn't be anything too serious. Henry to center, Inu to wing.

Ropo gets the (c).

Hurrell played awesome for a guy who wasn't supposed to be there! I assume this is why the numbers were jumbled. What if anything was wrong with him?

Raurimu Massive_old

What a friggin great day out for the family! Gates opened at 2.30, and when we pulled up at 2.40 there were already people and cars all over the place. We've been going to rugby matches at Okara Park for years and years, and it's not often you get a crowd like this. Apparently, a crowd of 9000 compared to a normal rugby crowd of 5000, so a big victory for League on the basis of the crowd alone.

The juniors... more than happy to see them get spanked by the Vulcans, especially after the draw with Otahuhu the other week. Reminds them that they're still boys, and they're not going into the season with the inflated egos they'd have if they just steamrolled some skinny kids from the back of Woollamaloo. The Vulcans looked pretty impressive though, running some great lines and cutting back on angles to create gaps. Consider that some of the fringe players for the Warriors will be lining up for the Vulcans, and they're looking to have one hell of a season.

The Seniors were always going to post a cricket score against cellar-dwellers from the QLD Cup, so the only questions for me were individual player progress, team unity and whether they were going to keep up the intensity.

One of the highlights for me was seeing Ropo back, and the great way he combined with, and guided, such an inexperienced player as Hurrell. Pure magic there. Ropati was favouring the knee by the end of the game, and I half-pie expected him to come off, but yeah nah yeah... he played on. His experience really showed through, and he brought out the best in Hurrell, who was nothing short of incredible. His hit ups always proved fruitful - I think his relative shortness works in his favour as he can't get bent back as easily as some 6'4" giant.

Compare that to Manu being held high in a tackle by three players then panicking and attempting a stupid offload on tackle one. Hurrell's always had massive upper body strength, and I doubt he's had a neck since he was 13, but the kid's thighs are now like those of an Olympic speed skater, and he has enthusiasm to burn. He will be feared by anyone with a brain, even an Australian.

Great play by the rest of the team: some great combinations amongst the backs, regardless of the positions they ended up in. The support for offloads was there constantly, forwards going straight and hard (Big Ben looks FAST, and Packer didn't appear hampered by those foot problems of last year) and there was some intelligent control by the halves.

Actually, it would be that control and working to a plan that impressed as much as anything - one of Penehe's tries was purely down to the execution of a well-rehearsed move. Both he and Benry looked to have packed on a fair amount of muscle in the offseason, which indicates a positive level of commitment. These guys all seem to realise that NONE of them are on a free ride in the team. No injury concerns either, which is great.

The only player who seemed like he would struggle in first grade at the moment was Lousi, but to be fair he was playing front row and he just seems to be too lanky at the moment - needs to learn to lower his centre of gravity going into tackles, but that's a flaw in many a tall players' game. Basically he's just to work on technique.

Great atmosphere, great games... I'm going to pester the stadium management to work with the Warriors and the Tigers to get a Tigers 'home game' up here. Adam Blair's a Northland lad, so I'll do whatever I can to get in his ear over the concept. With the added attraction of the Warriors and Benji Marshall, it's sure to be a sellout. Have to be some attractive $$ for the clubs there eh?

SMAC19_old

Oh another who made the jump :) Just curious how did Locke and Fish score their tries ? and who do you reckon had the better game from the back ?

Locke was safe under the ball...made yards on every return..ran down their winger who had quite a start with a copy book tackle
Fish's acceleration when hittin the gaps at the right time leaves defender clutching air...was an even performance from both at the back but when on together Locke's deft passes to fish running off him:sp:

Marshthedarsh_old

Haha, latest photo TVNZ could find of Matulino was from early 2009... Terrible.