General Whangerei trial

Spence_old

A bit early for the thread, I know, but I just saw this:

From GrabOne.

$5 for General Admission to the Vodafone Warriors Game on February 18th at Toll Stadium (value $10)

amain.cdn.grabone.com_goimage_440x267_74941198d5acb5207418749f0b665821473e91c5.jpg

Anyone making the trek up (or down)?

Fazz_old

I'm still bitter that the Rei gets a trial and not Rotorua lol. Not trying to be a hater, but surely there are better places (Wellington, Chch, Hamilton, Taupo) to do a trial...

Raurimu Massive_old

Some of the management of the Northland Events Centre/Toll Stadium have worked at Mt Smart previously, hence the connection to score Warriors preseason games up here in the mighty metropolis that is Whangarei.

Hopefully good attendances might be a way of scoring one of those NZ-based "home games" for another NRL team... Tigers would be a good one to approach now, since Adam Blair's a local lad, and the crowd-pulling power of Benji Marshall and obviously the Warriors should guarantee a good attendance.

NRL in Whangarei... dreams are free eh?

Buck777_old

Yep I'm going. Warriors are big up here. Every 2nd person has some kind of warrior or NRL memorabilia clothing article. Almost as popular as bob marley lol

Spence_old

Is that your neck of the woods RM? How big is the stadium?

Yep I'm going. Warriors are big up here. Every 2nd person has some kind of warrior or NRL memorabilia clothing article. Almost as popular as bob marley lol

Your 'hood too?

Spence_old

Sorry, you already mentioned your from Woodhill! My apologies, lots of new names to learn!

Raurimu Massive_old

Yep, I'm up here Spence - live out in Onerahi, near the airport. We managed to get in around 20,000 for the two world cup games we had last year... would get in an easy 25,000 if Sky didn't insist on that godammed big media box on the hillside... it blocks off the view for about a fifth of the ground! Sad that we live in an age where telly takes precedence over going to a game live eh?

I've done a bit of work for Adam Blair's nanna, so I should offer some freebies if she'll get in his ear over bringing the Tiggers here. Tigers-Warriors would sell out easy. :t

Spence_old

Well that's definitely big enough for an NRL game. Is it a nice stadium? I've only ever been Whangerei once, for work.

Raurimu Massive_old

Well that's definitely big enough for an NRL game. Is it a nice stadium? I've only ever been Whangerei once, for work.

Yeah bro it's mean - had a big upgrade over the past few years, but still kept most of the traditional 'Okara Park Hill' for the embankment, so there's a great family atmosphere. That's more important to me than a bunch of eggs getting on the turps and making dicks out of themselves!

Only an hour and a half away from the North Shore, at most a couple of hours for most Aucklanders, so an NRL match would definitely get the crowd they'd need to justify it. Dammit, I feel a campaign coming on - might have to get my freckle into gear and approach the ground management so we can annoy the decision makers till it happens.

Spence_old

It would definitely be cool if more NRL games were played around NZ. Never realised there was such a big following in Whangerei, great stuff! With the Taupo match (vs the Sharks) who approached who Taupo or the Sharks? I remember Peachey having something to do with it... not sure if he was the instigator or simply an ambassador.

vanillabumblebees_old

Good Value! I was about to buy a couple of those tickets for me and my brother because we're heading up for the game, but the coupon needs to be redeemed before gameday :/

one-eyed-warrior_old

Oh sorry didn't see earlier text, I'm from whangas but living in Brisbane .

Ryan_old

Raurimu Ave? The name rings a bell.

I'm also from Whangarei. Lived in the Regent, The Aves and Raumanga before moving to Auckland, and I am now in Brisbane. I also went to Whangarei Primary, Whangarei Intermediate and Whangarei Boys High. Laughs! Not a very interesting naming scheme!

Raurimu Massive_old

Grew up in Morningside myself, moved into the mum-in-law's house in Raurimu Ave 15 years ago. I friggin love Onerahi and can't see myself moving - even if I won $30m on lotto, I'd just want to buy out the houses around ours, maintain a huge vege garden and retire. :br:

Spence_old

I forgot about your sky diving, Ryan. How's that going? You had to stop for a while after the Brisbane floods, right?