General Wellington NRL side: Hope for for NU?

Viking_old

I can't see a dual city team working or getting a licence in the first place.
Here's the pro's and cons as I see them.

Wellington Pros:
-Good supporter base, could draw a lot more fans from Manawatu and Taranaki.
-Sports mad city, a bit like Melbourne in that they get behind every sport.
-Flaky, underperforming rugby team.
-Not that much further than Auckland for travelling Aussie teams.
-They might guide Weepu back to the light.
-The Cake Tin! Great stadium, well located and seats around 25,000 right? An ideal size for league.

Wellington Cons:
-The freak'n weather! It's hard enough to lure Aussies over to Auckland, Wellington's weather is 10 times worse.
-Sharing a small city and the Cake Tin with 2 other professional sports teams could be a stretch.
-Politicians, the place is full of them!

Canterbury Pros:
-Fairly good supporter base, could draw a bit of support from out of town. West Coasters are some of the most passionate league fans I've ever met and of course there's NU coming up from the ru.
-A rugby culture of success, if linked to the Crusaders, there would be all sorts of cross code benefits to be had, not to mention good finances.
-Only an extra hour or so commute for traveling Aussie teams.
-Fairly consistent weather, probably close to Melbourne in winter from my experience.
-My favourite one: A Christchurch based NRL team would do no end of good for league in the South Island and as a national sport.

Christchurch Cons:
-Jade stadium could be too big for league games if they're getting sub 10000 crowds, but probably no different then Telstra is in normal club games.
-Getting Australian players to relocate could be even harder than Wellington.
-As a few locals have mentioned above, a fickle fan base if the Crusaders are anything to go by. A town that's used to supporting a successful team in the Crusaders might be indifferent if the league team starts to struggle. It could've just be a problem with rugby in general though.
-Boy racers and skinheads, the place is full of them!

JonB_old

Your comparing, support for an NRL based franchise, to an Amateur club team. There's a huge difference!! Playing a professional Rugby League game at (say for instance) Jade Stadium, is in no way the same as watching a game at Lesley park, or a bartercard match at the Show grounds.

I played for the Hornby panthers as a kid, and also for Riccarton knights in 2003 when we won the the championship for the 1st time in 70yrs. Now, no-one else but the people who played for and supported that club, really gave a shit about the significance of it all!! and barely 1000 people turned out, to watch Grand Final, against Linwood.

But there's a really good reason for that. No-one wants to watch a bunch of nobody's running around (with the exception for Logan Edwards and Aaron Whittaker, and Vince Whare, who also played for the team), when they could be doing something else. But put a Canterbury team in with already known stars against the likes of Warriors, Broncos, Storm, Parra, etc...and literally thousands would turn up!!!!(obviously, you never went to any of the tigers games there, or kiwis vs eng, "Go to the game this year Warr vs Roos".....it's almost worth it, just to watch you eat your own words.

Sorry I wasn't intending to use club GF as a comparison to NRL matches, it should of been a new sentences, what I was trying to say was that I had a rough idea of what league looks like in Christchurch and there is simply not enough people to support an NRL franchise.

kngkbra_old

Sorry I wasn't intending to use club GF as a comparison to NRL matches, it should of been a new sentences, what I was trying to say was that I had a rough idea of what league looks like in Christchurch and there is simply not enough people to support an NRL franchise.

Point taken, JonB.

Ive played with and against alot of bloody good players in Christchurch. For most its a classic case of "shows alot of potential, but does nothing with it". For alot of guys Auzzie seems too far away, to chase the dream. Or for that matter, Auckland, as they haven't really opened the door to alot of cantab talent over the years, (maybe thats just my perception). But having said that, Aranui Academy was in alliance with Broncos and Storm.

Thats also my point though! Auzzies takin kiwi talent to create more depth, because theres nothing here to keep them. Now don't get me wrong Auzzie is a great place for alot of people, and it probably would generate a more exciting life for those players, compared to what would have been (playin club games). But what New Zealand has to realise is that just like New Zealand Music alah - Tiki Tane, Anika Moa, Runga sisters, Scribe, Feelers etc, League is just as good in the south, as it is in the North.

Yes Auckland teams and other Nth Island teams, are generally alot bigger than us. But size aint everything, thats not what the cantab games based around. Which is why we are the 2nd most successful team, behind Mt Albert.

The only thing that holds us back is, not population, but underestimation.

An NRL Season runs, twice as long as a Super 14 season, so alot of rugby fans would branch off to league after that, if they weren't already doubling up, and I think you would find, that if it did happen, alot of oldskool leaguies would come out of the woodworks, No doubt!!

Having said all that....I would be just about as happy getting a team in Wellington!!..... after all that's, where im living at the moment.

kngkbra_old

That all said i'll see you at jade for the Roosters match :)

Yeah, its good to see league back in chc, I hope it continues. I'll be lookin for a $1 ticket off grabaseat (coz im in welly), but i'll be there 4sho :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

Will this seasons game v the chooks be an indication?

Northern_Union

Jon, will you be at the game? Could be a good chance to hook up at a pub before the game.

JonB_old

Will this seasons game v the chooks be an indication?

I would say it would be an indication of what a one off game looks like in chch....

Yeah Id say I will be there ay, and yeah that'd be cool. I like pints.

whenever I cut through Timaru I look for dudes with courreir van's that look like Steve's....

Northern_Union

Is that you and your boy racer mates that come through looking to rough up the locals?:)
Look for a Ford PBT van.

Jesbass_old

I would say it would be an indication of what a one off game looks like in chch....

Got it in one, Jon. I wish it wasn't, but that's exactly what it is.

What round is that match, by the way?

Northern_Union

Got it in one, Jon. I wish it wasn't, but that's exactly what it is.

Short of a crystall ball there is no other way gauging what sort of support a CHCH club would get.
We know the club seen is strongish and we know Canterbury has a strong history in the game.
Over the last 5 to 6 years every NRL or test match has attracted around 18,000 to 20,000 per match.....18,000 odd thousand in an absolute down pour that even kept me from traveling 3 years ago.

Jonny, whats a good pub thats close to the ground?

Jesbass_old

Short of a crystall ball there is no other way gauging what sort of support a CHCH club would get.
We know the club seen is strongish and we know Canterbury has a strong history in the game.
Over the last 5 to 6 years every NRL or test match has attracted around 18,000 to 20,000 per match.....18,000 odd thousand in an absolute down pour that even kept me from traveling 3 years ago.

Completely agree that we won't know until (and unless) it happens. And as noted earlier, big crowds at a one off match every now and again is a better indication than poor crowds at a one off match every now and again.

JonB_old

there is a robbies that is right by the ground, not sure if it is still open.... otherwise there are a few in Phillipston that would be a bit of an adventure, might want to bring a knife with you, as a precaution....

But seriously I will do some scouting a bit before.

mrblonde_old

I wonder what side of this argument Mr E Watson would fall on? Given that the Warriors rely so much on the "New Zealand" side of things - ie "a nation of 4 Million Warriors" etc. You'd need to obviously dump the "New Zealand" label but the marketing gurus would probably say "you can't go back to being the Auckland Warriors because of the negative reminders of what happened last time". Right... So then you annoy the heck out of those Warriors fans amongst us who like the Warriors because they're not Auckland but won't follow the Christchurch Dry Nor Easterlies or the Wellington Cyclones because they live in Auckland/Australia/wherever.
Given Mr E Watson has made such a big thing about the Warriors being New Zealand (PM Helen Clark being a supporter, etc), would he welcome a second NRL team from here?

Northern_Union

Nothern Warriors?
North Island Warriors?

Southern Orcas?
South Island Orcas?

LordGnome_old

Northern Warriors, Central Orcas, Southern Inbreds (couldn't think of a suitable nickname for Christchurch?)