General Wellington NRL side: Hope for for NU?

Northern_Union

PNG are putting together a pretty good proposal. Last i heard Mal Maninga was pushing there case.

insulinboi_old

PNG is a bit to dangerous I feel. Plus they are less developed in comparisson to somewhere like Fiji.
But a Pacific team based in any of the islands, would be great. They could take a couple of home games to Tonga, Samoa etc.

Northern_Union

Soccer doesn't seem to mind playing in dangerous country's. In PNG you 8 million fanatical league follows.
Fiji is an obvious choice though but there domestic comp needs to grow some.

insulinboi_old

I suppose it doesn't really matter it's based, as long as it's under the umbrella of the "pacific" so all the pacific nations can follow and benefit from it.

A Pacific team in the NRL and a west coast USA team in the super league would do wonder for the game internationally.

2big2strong_old

In South Africa, the armed forces don't need to fire automatic machine guns into the air to disperse the crowds after each game.

Northern_Union

In PNG security contractors don't need to go into cities to free entire buildings that have been taken hostage because the police are afraid to enter these areas.

Jesbass_old

And sleep time is where I'm a Viking!

ralphnose.jpg

kingkole_old

if the NRL is serious about becoming a real financialy viable comp-then they should look to expand to wellington or cant/christchurch as suggested.i think the NRL is getting to the point where teams should look at becoming privately owned franchises like NFL that if a team is struggling in certain area example crowds or financial viability then the owner can make a decision to relocate the team.

kngkbra_old

the roosters have a game against the warriors at ami stad, later this year, and every league game, they've had, since the tigers played there, has been a success, including 19000+ crowd that was recently there for the phoenix. Sydney were getting some pretty piss poor crowds last year for their games, and obviously see christchurch as a draw card, because of crowd attendance, even if they got 17000, this would still be a large crowd, as alot of the teams, cant even get that on a great day. So if they transferred that support into a christchurch based team, merged with the crusaders, then they would not been seen as a threat to canterbury rugby, but more as an expansion of their already successful product brand. The crusaders finances are huge, if they merged with someone else this would be great for new zealand league. I for one (excuse the pun), would love to back a 2nd kiwi team, and think that would be the best direction to go, better set up!! sorry wellington (even though im living there at the moment). After all we did win the world cup, surely the 2nd teams a gimme!!

Northern_Union

the roosters have a game against the warriors at ami stad, later this year, and every league game, they've had, since the tigers played there, has been a success, including 19000+ crowd that was recently there for the phoenix. Sydney were getting some pretty piss poor crowds last year for their games, and obviously see christchurch as a draw card, because of crowd attendance, even if they got 17000, this would still be a large crowd, as alot of the teams, cant even get that on a great day. So if they transferred that support into a christchurch based team, merged with the crusaders, then they would not been seen as a threat to canterbury rugby, but more as an expansion of their already successful product brand. The crusaders finances are huge, if they merged with someone else this would be great for new zealand league. I for one (excuse the pun), would love to back a 2nd kiwi team, and think that would be the best direction to go, better set up!! sorry wellington (even though im living there at the moment). After all we did win the world cup, surely the 2nd teams a gimme!!

I like the way you think and i'd back a Cantab team also.:thumb:

Jesbass_old

I always get worried when people cite crowds for one-off matches as a method of gauging what the regular crowds might be for 12 or more home matches, especially if that team under performs.

Still, they offer a tiny glimpse - certainly, if the crowds were bad even for one-off Kiwi matches, then it'd be a write off.

I agree with Christchurch getting the nod, assuming the crowds hold up, but that's a question that can only be done with proper research on the ground. It's advantages over Wellington are:
- Far enough away from Auckland to draw plenty from the deep south.
- Passionate fans when they need to be, with people probably travelling from the likes of Greymouth to get to big games.
- Sets up a North -v- South mentality for Warriors/Christchurch team matches.
- Both cities have S14 teams, but unlike Wellington, Christchurch doesn't have its secondary fans being saturated with sport courtesy of the Phoenix.

As long as the crowds turned up, (which is really just a polite way of saying as long as it was financially viable), then I'd love for it to happen. Not sure how realistic it is, though.

kingkole_old

its a sorry fact but australians need to realise that rugby league as a brand needs to expand and the only way to do that is to look outside the traditional boarders. I agree that wellington/cant are all viable options a pacific island team would be great but only if its a combination side made of the PI nations,I agree that cantnb-do get fantastic crowds always have-if I had a suggestion instead of a wellington side why not a central zone team representing not only wellington but pami/tara/hawksbay logisticsly it could work have your NRL team play a few games out of these regions have your premier league and 20s play all their games out these regions have your profile players doing coaching clinics out of the local schools, by having a regional based side your opening your self up to a larger sponsorship base,and because you have more then one team unlike the hurricanes these regions will see regular fixtures

JonB_old

I do not think a Canterbury team would work ay, Canterbury is twice as stron in rugby than it is in league, if not more if you look at the club scene and the crusaders crowds are average to poor.
Our population here is approximately 350-400,000 thousand, similar to Wellington I guess but the total population of Canterbury and the Canterbury region does not match the greater wellington region in timers of population.
Between the size of Canterbury, the lack of popularity of the game and direct competition of a similar, more popular product in the crusader I do not think that a league team would be sustainable in Christchurch.

It would be cool though.

kingkole_old

cantb- does have a traditional R/L supporter base again i still think the better idea would be to look at a regional system as i suggested earlier.

JonB_old

I didn't say that it didn't have support, i live in this city, hell I have had beers in the 'Hornby Rugby League club' hallowed ground in NZRL, i have seen Rl finals, there is simply not enough people for this to be sustainable.

kngkbra_old

I didn't say that it didn't have support, i live in this city, hell I have had beers in the 'Hornby Rugby League club' hallowed ground in NZRL, i have seen Rl finals, there is simply not enough people for this to be sustainable.

Your comparing, support for an NRL based franchise, to an Amateur club team. There's a huge difference!! Playing a professional Rugby League game at (say for instance) Jade Stadium, is in no way the same as watching a game at Lesley park, or a bartercard match at the Show grounds.

I played for the Hornby panthers as a kid, and also for Riccarton knights in 2003 when we won the the championship for the 1st time in 70yrs. Now, no-one else but the people who played for and supported that club, really gave a shit about the significance of it all!! and barely 1000 people turned out, to watch Grand Final, against Linwood.

But there's a really good reason for that. No-one wants to watch a bunch of nobody's running around (with the exception for Logan Edwards and Aaron Whittaker, and Vince Whare, who also played for the team), when they could be doing something else. But put a Canterbury team in with already known stars against the likes of Warriors, Broncos, Storm, Parra, etc...and literally thousands would turn up!!!!(obviously, you never went to any of the tigers games there, or kiwis vs eng, "Go to the game this year Warr vs Roos".....it's almost worth it, just to watch you eat your own words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Your comparing, support for an NRL based franchise, to an Amateur club team. There's a huge difference!! Playing a professional Rugby League game at (say for instance) Jade Stadium, is in no way the same as watching a game at Lesley park, or a bartercard match at the Show grounds.

I played for the Hornby panthers as a kid, and also for Riccarton knights in 2003 when we won the the championship for the 1st time in 70yrs. Now, no-one else but the people who played for and supported that club, really gave a *** about the significance of it all!! and barely 1000 people turned out, to watch Grand Final, against Linwood.

But there's a really good reason for that. No-one wants to watch a bunch of nobody's running around (with the exception for Logan Edwards and Aaron Whittaker, and Vince Whare, who also played for the team), when they could be doing something else. But put a Canterbury team in with already known stars against the likes of Warriors, Broncos, Storm, Parra, etc...and literally thousands would turn up!!!!(obviously, you never went to any of the tigers games there, or kiwis vs eng, "Go to the game this year Warr vs Roos".....it's almost worth it, just to watch you eat your own words.

I think the reality is about halfway between your two examples, but if the NRL does put a team into Christchurch, I hope you're right.

Northern_Union

I played for the Hornby panthers as a kid, and also for Riccarton knights in 2003 when we won the the championship for the 1st time in 70yrs. Now, no-one else but the people who played for and supported that club, really gave a shit about the significance of it all!! and barely 1000 people turned out, to watch Grand Final, against Linwood.

I like your thinking brother and i also believe that an NRL team could be sustained in Christchurch. The thing is though that when this teams hits a bad patch i think the bedrock support could drop to 4500/5000 paying fans which is bad (though the Warriors have seen crowds this bad over the years) from a high of around 20,000.
That all said i'll see you at jade for the Roosters match :)
Oh and i was at the GB v Kiwis test as well with a few mates and the wife...the pommy fans were great, we had a few laughs with them.

Jesbass_old

I like your thinking brother and i also believe that an NRL team could be sustained in Christchurch. The thing is though that when this teams hits a bad patch i think the bedrock support could drop to 4500/5000 paying fans which is bad (though the Warriors have seen crowds this bad over the years) from a high of around 20,000.
That all said i'll see you at jade for the Roosters match :)
Oh and i was at the GB v Kiwis test as well with a few mates and the wife...the pommy fans were great, we had a few laughs with them.

Therein lies my concern. The Canterbury fans know how to support a dominant team with a winning legacy, but how would it stretch for a different code with a comparatively small following if they start to lose games?

Also, just out of curiosity, how would their location impact their travel times? I'm guessing that Auckland to Christchurch is a 90 minute flight? How long would the flights to Townsville be?