General Watch Sonny Fai.

Wiki_old

For those of you eager to see how Sonny Fai goes, he is playing his comeback match on Monday night.

It is Maori TV's live game.

Woohoo. Back in action. We could see him debut any time now :)

STRIDER_old

I watched him play a couple of weeks ago and while his game time was limited I was inspired by the way he looks and plays on the field.

I reckon the Warriors have got this countrys best up and coming player signed up in Sonny Fai. He's a real big boy as well looks simular to Tony Puletua's Build and has athletic ability galore. Can easily do the stuff Ali used to and I reckon more.

Wiki_old

STRIDER said:
I watched him play a couple of weeks ago and while his game time was limited I was inspired by the way he looks and plays on the field.

I reckon the Warriors have got this countrys best up and coming player signed up in Sonny Fai. He's a real big boy as well looks simular to Tony Puletua's Build and has athletic ability galore. Can easily do the stuff Ali used to and I reckon more.

Is this not his comeback match?

Damn, maybe I'm mistaken. My bad.

But at least everyone can watch him :p

Cleary will surely play him this year. If Awen doesn't perform at some stage down the line maybe he will give Fai a run? Lets hope so. He has dropped Toddy for poor form so lets hope he gives Fai a run if his selection is warranted.

Cleary has already followed through on most of what he said. He said the young guys would get a run. That surely has been the case with Mannering, Taulapapa, and Ah Van getting a run.

Now were just waiting on Fai and Rapira!

Bulldog_old

yeah I watched him play a few weeks ago as well against Central Lions...he didnt really impress me given all the big wraps, but to be fair, he was coming back from injury, so maybe he'll do better tonight.

Wiki_old

Hmm. He was lost in action sometimes.

He almost seemed lazy to me. He hit it up a thousand times but he didn't make a serious impact all the time. He looks like he has a defenite Sonny Bill offload in him and he is big and strong.

I'm sure the huge wraps are well deserved and maybe he will start showing some form soon.

He almost scored a try. According to the ref it was forward but it was at most square. His tackling was pretty solid - nothing spectacular but didn't let anything in.

Hopefully he starts getting more aggressive and we could see him lining up with the Warriors soon.

STRIDER_old

Dont worry Wiki, im sure Sonny Fai will come on leaps and bounds soon. He certainly does have a mean off load. And he can create opportunities. I personaly dont think he is a meat and potatos type of forward who just charge it up all though he can also do this effectively. I rate him more of a genuine line breaker on the fringes. Why he may look slighty lazy remember he is only 17 and starting to realise the type of lines and angles he needs to run. His postional play is very similar to that of ALi Lauiititi.

And remember he truely is still learning the back row trade. at such a young age he is going to be targeted by the local players who know he is a warriors squad member. I am certain he will find his feet. He is an instinct player

Thats my observation. Give him time, he's going to be a good one !!!

Wiki_old

No worries bro ;)

Nah, I'm not doubting him at all. And only 17? Geeeeze. I just had huge wraps so I was expecting him to tear the house down ;) but then again, the conditions didn't warrant that.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong at all and he was effective out there! I just expected a bit more from him. But I can't be critical at all, he has just come back from injury and was in his what ...2nd game?

He is above all the player I would like to see introduced to first grade this year.

STRIDER_old

By the way how did Roman Hifo play in the game ?. He is another Warriors development squad member. Who also spent time at the NRL Roosters.

I havent watched the tape of the game yet. Wondering what he offered. I have mixed views of him. im not convinced yet.

Wiki_old

To be honest I have heard the name, but I wasn't looking out for him in the game.

I don't remember his name being mentioned once, but I could be wrong ...

I knew he was a squad member so I would have thought if I heard his name I would've clicked.

Bulldog_old

Roman Hifo played off the bench...didnt have a chance to show much...I'm kinda wondering how these young Warriors future "stars" are not really showing up much in the Bartercard...are they saving themselves, is it the level of the competition, or have people overrated them? I cant imagine any of these guys footing it in an NRL game...I've seen the guys who have progressed to the first grade like Taulapapa, Tuimavave, Ah Van, and now Rapira, and they have played consistently well in Bartercard (from the games I've watched), but to be quite honest, I havent been impressed much by Sonny Fai or even George Tuakura. I've heard nothing but huge wraps about these guys, especially Fai.

STRIDER_old

To be fair Rapira has been good this season and last year was sensational. Taulapapa has been another standout for Marist Ritchmond, he definetly earnt his signing to the Warriors. Tuimavave has been more a junior player who showed much promise. I still really dont feel he's kicked on to where he was heading....... in the david solomona mould. Tuakura has been a force for awhile especially over in the QLD cup, he's dropped alot of weight since being back and perhaps a little of his dominace in pressence. I guess we will have to wait and see if he does get a chance. Sonny Fai has got real ability, I certainly believe he will be a huge star................... hopefully the warriors atmoshpere doesnt stuff him

JonB_old

Anyone see the number 15 for the bulls, big island guy. He had heaps of leg strength he didn't do a hell of alot but when he got the ball he made alot of metres and he was alot faster than most of the forwards out there.
It was his debut game aswell.

Fobin_Hood_old

STRIDER said:
To be fair Rapira has been good this season and last year was sensational. Taulapapa has been another standout for Marist Ritchmond, he definetly earnt his signing to the Warriors. Tuimavave has been more a junior player who showed much promise. I still really dont feel he's kicked on to where he was heading....... in the david solomona mould. Tuakura has been a force for awhile especially over in the QLD cup, he's dropped alot of weight since being back and perhaps a little of his dominace in pressence. I guess we will have to wait and see if he does get a chance. Sonny Fai has got real ability, I certainly believe he will be a huge star................... hopefully the warriors atmoshpere doesnt stuff him

Somehow I dont think Fai will live upto the hype. Hes 18, has had ankle surgery...shoulder reconstruction..and has had trouble with his knee for sometime. Thats definately a downside for him as hes only just 18 a few months ago. Hes a great athlete and is very strong for a young lad.

Hes relied purely on his physical tools to get by in the junior grades but the NRL's a big step from the old NJC competition. Hes not as smart of a player as people make him out to be...a no brainer in my opinion.

L N_old

Fobin_Hood said:
STRIDER said:
Hes relied purely on his physical tools to get by in the junior grades but the NRL's a big step from the old NJC competition. Hes not as smart of a player as people make him out to be

totally agree with you there fobin

though naturally gifted
needs the time to enhance and nututre that

age grade is one thing
the big show is total separate entity altogether

though he has the potential
as with others in the development side
he needs some where to work at his trade
and not to expect to make the impact intially on his 1st up call

in batercard junior elite players are targeted
its how they handle that competitive pressure
that sures them up for the next step