General Was the Warriors win really a good thing?

teariki_old

I'm glad the Warriors finally broke the losing streak, but in the long term was it in reality a bad thing? Another loss would have meant the play-offs would have been almost out of reach and maybe we could have seen some re-structuring of the team and introduction of local talent.

As it is, this win keeps alive the hope of a play-off spot and Cleary will almost certainly keep playing the same players instead of giving promising local talent a chance in the remainder of the season.

Skinny_Ravs82

I don't think that is the case at all. If thee locals aren't impressing those who count then they obviusly aren't quite up the standards that those people feel are needed to be playing as first graders (don't quote me on this, I'm assuming it here).

At the same time; I also believe players are more keen to play for team that wins, rather then for a team that loses. I know where you are coming from but the way I see it, why would you wanna introduce a couple of young guys into a team with really low morale? I don't think they'd feel too comfortable. Sure they haven't been part of the losing figure so they probably see it differently but I think introducing players into a losing team isn't always a good thing. I might be wrong there too mind you.

There is also the consideration of injury. If by some ridiculosly crappy luck something striked down our main guys then that's when fishing outside comes into focus.

Lastly, I think we're still a bit off thinking of finals football. Mid-July to end of July may see to that.

EnterFien_old

I'm glad the Warriors finally broke the losing streak, but in the long term was it in reality a bad thing? Another loss would have meant the play-offs would have been almost out of reach and maybe we could have seen some re-structuring of the team and introduction of local talent.

As it is, this win keeps alive the hope of a play-off spot and Cleary will almost certainly keep playing the same players instead of giving promising local talent a chance in the remainder of the season.

Considering I would rather see our team in the playoff as opposed to seeing the team re-structured, i think it is a good thing.

What alot of people are failing to see imo is that the Auckland Lions are struggling in the Premier League. That team has most of up-and-coming junior in the side. IMO only Cleary and the coaching staff will know when they are ready to step up.

WarriorDiva_old

Considering I would rather see our team in the playoff as opposed to seeing the team re-structured, i think it is a good thing.

What alot of people are failing to see imo is that the Auckland Lions are struggling in the Premier League. That team has most of up-and-coming junior in the side. IMO only Cleary and the coaching staff will know when they are ready to step up.

i agree i hope i'm watching semi-final footy that features the warriors

JonB_old

I think it is pretty simple win = good lose = bad.

I see what you mean though.

Long term v short term.

I still think winning is best.

sebastian_old

If the Warriors keep winning what's the point of changing the team. If the Lions were going great i'd see your point but unfortunatly there not. Yesterday we looked good, we earnt' the win, we had the ref against us, pentaltys 5-10, had a fair try dissalowed, botched a certin try, looked dangerous on attack & most inportantly we played smart with calm heads.
Just enjoy the win bro.

Skinny_Ravs82

Don't change a winning team as they say, however if the situation calls for it then sometimes you do.

Jesbass_old

If the Warriors keep winning what's the point of changing the team. If the Lions were going great i'd see your point but unfortunatly there not. Yesterday we looked good, we earnt' the win, we had the ref against us, pentaltys 5-10, had a fair try dissalowed, botched a certin try, looked dangerous on attack & most inportantly we played smart with calm heads.
Just enjoy the win bro.

I agree, seb, apart from the "had a fair try disallowed" comment. I was amazed the video ref took so many looks at it. It looked like a no try from the first replay, in my eyes.

Mone_old

I agree with you, people try to make a point that the Lions arent going well why there isnt anyone worth bringing through, they dont however point out the PL league table.
Bulldogs
Dragons
Eels
Panthers
Knights

Now young players coming through in 1st grade (apart from a couple of eels) are from the lower ranked PL teams and have been sucesses in top flight football.

Swanley_old

2 points is better than none.

we are still 1 wins and points difference from the eight anyway.

Top 8 for will still be a struggle.

Skinny_Ravs82

2 points out of the top 8 actually...shows the value of winning games that's for sure.