General Warriors vs Titans Trial 2014

It is true that this was just a trial match, but maybe we should try to do better in our trials so we are ready to go by round 1. Has it occurred to anyone that the reason the Warriors start slow is because they have a horrible preparation, including bad trial results which may delay the right mindset by round 1. We need to get everything right by round 1- the combinations, the completion rate, the nrl mindset, etc. I find that too often, the trial mindset of it doesn't matter so lets not try in this trial extends to the first few weeks of the competition. It is these poor starts to the season that limit our potential to 8th at best.

It is true that this was just a trial match, but maybe we should try to do better in our trials so we are ready to go by round 1. Has it occurred to anyone that the reason the Warriors start slow is because they have a horrible preparation, including bad trial results which may delay the right mindset by round 1. We need to get everything right by round 1- the combinations, the completion rate, the nrl mindset, etc. I find that too often, the trial mindset of it doesn't matter so lets not try in this trial extends to the first few weeks of the competition. It is these poor starts to the season that limit our potential to 8th at best.
I agree with this post nine times out of ten.
The Difference is this year is we have three things on the go in one week during trial week one.

No one plays three in one well. Not even mid season if you look at the heavily represented Origin Clubs.

This was a mish mash team as Elliot promised , he said this run was just going to be a hit out with Gap fillers for fitness and the one we don't give a stuff about ( NRL Hyperbole laid thin like Elliots ' least important trial ' means we don't give a toss in terms of the score board )

The Wigan game will be very very interesting , because they are such a well drilled club , outstanding structures and discipline by in large , a real pre season trial test , Forget their last Game V the Giants , they will be very hard to beat in Hamilton imo.

Warriors V Warriors will see our Strong forwards go up against their Lean not so huge very well drilled Storm like Pack.....perfect test of whether people like Rapira and Lillyman have the play direct thing sorted pre season.

If you read between the lines of the many astute reads on todays game we got some new Blood in the Juniors who could be something. If nothing else the Warriors continue to produce the Johnson like freaks in Lolohea

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

The last year we won all three trails was 2009. Now, obviously, you have to factor in Sonny Fai's death and the effect that had on players and coaches so I accept this comparison isn't particularly fair but: We didn't go anywhere near the finals.

For me, of course I'd like the Warriors to be firing from the get go - Rd 1 - and keep on carrying on. But I know keeping on that level of performance is going to take it's toll and things will start to fall off at some stage so: I'd rather the Warriors entered the finals having had to scramble to some degree - winning 5 out of the last 7, say - then being cruising along in the Top 4 until the beginning of July and suddenly it all starts to fall off and we manage to make Top 8 on other teams' failures rather than our successes.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong and it was 2012. Same rules apply, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42
I reckon yesterday's results showed us a lot one that their is huge depth in the club they fielded a reserve grade side against team that was almost full strength and held their own. The years we have done well we've always had strong depth. Warriors were missing like 15 top line players. I honestly thought the titans would beat them by more but they didn't

Pretty sure we won all games in 2012 we all know how that season went, atleast we beat the eels in round 2 that year.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
VERY VERY AVERAGE - NOBODY apart from Tui Lolohea put their hand up, Both of Loloheas try were directly from Titans knock on mistakes and he just had vision and speed to pick them up and skate away. But these trys were not from structured attack. Lets put this into perspective, if the Warriors did not get these 2 fortunate trys then we loss 38 -6
We can take note that it was clearly obvious the Titans took this trial way more seriously than the Warriors, it was literally musical cheers out their for the warriors, you couldnt keep up with the players coming and going, the last quater their was not one player who would be a starter for the warriors out on the field. Also their were several unknown players out there also who I assume must be signed vulcan players. I went to the toilet before the game and saw Tevita Latu there, I thought he must be here to check out the game obviously, next thing he is running out on the field in a Warriors jersey.
Lumape looks like he ate way to much at christmas, I would be surpised if he has still got his speed, way more bulkier than last year, while looking stronger and harder to put down he seemed to have no speed into punching the line.
The team did not look coached, they had no attacking structure. GRADE O for ORDINARY
nobody put their hand up for RD1 accept Lolohea
I read lousi looked mean, id disagree. He did exactly what a first grade prop should and nothing more. Papailli looked massive as did Vete and they got attention but expected more from them. They would only appeal on physical presence

Think your being overly harsh. Game plan, really!? How the hell they going to set one when there was 30 players out there and most had never played together before? Bare in mind that for some of these kids this is the highest level of footy they have ever played. The oldest person was Dominique Peyroux at 25. Most experienced was Konrad Hurrell with 37 games! Even the whole Warriors team of 30 players combined didn't have the experience of Anthony Minichiello who has played 237 games.

I saw enough yesterday to be excited about some of these lads futures. Tuimoala had two good tries but to suggest he was the only one that put his hand up is bullshit and insulting to a lot of the other boys out there.

Sione Lousi had a great game. Real captains knock and my Warriors MoM. Sure he did his job in terms of hitting it up but he did so with speed and strength and made an impact at the line every time. Best part of his game was what he was doing off the ball. He had an amazing defensive workload and high work rate. Was barking out orders and communicating well. What was most impressive is that thats his first game since doing his ACL against the same team almost a year to the date. He's going to be a great addition to the Nines and should get a call up to the 1st grade team. If he continues playing like he did yesterday we would all be impressed.

Laumape has definitely bulked up. He's been told to so he can last a season in the brutal environment of the NRL.

Laumape, Konrad and Fish still ran the ball back hard. Was good to see again. Glen Fisiiahi ran it back from the kick return with the same gusto he did for the Tongan mid year test against Samoa. It'll be treat to watch at the Nines. Not sure why but Laurie Daly seemed to hesitate to take on the line or pass to his wing. Chipped it 2 out of the 3 times I saw him get the ball. He's looking really fit though.

The next generation graduates all look the goods. Players like Papali'i, Fusitua and Vete hit the ball up well but at times they overplayed their hand trying to offload. Give them a year or two in the Reserve Grade and they will be well on the way to an NRL debut. Those like Agnatius Paasi who have already been playing NSW Cup had a definite edge on the NYC boys.

Thought the boys played well while the bulk of the team was the Nines players but towards the end it was the U20's plus some Fox players playing the Titans. Easy fodder for the Titans but a great experience for the young guys coming through the ranks. At one stage after a try late in the 3rd quarter it was Charlie Gubb laying down the law and settling the boys down. He was the only player on the field at the time with any NRL experience and thats only one game!

Biggest disappointment was the shocking ball security of almost all of them. It didn't help their cause at all. One good thing to come of it was the amount of extra defence they had to do. That was what I was most interested in seeing. I didn't care much for tries, breaks, offloads, etc. I wanted to see how these kids would handle tackling Anthony Minichiello, Luke Douglas, Brad Tighe, Kalifi Fai Fai Loa, Ben Ridge, Maurice Blair or Ryan James. I was interested in how they would scramble, their communication or structure on defence. For my 5 cents I thought they did exceedingly well. The vast majority went in with a high ball and all hold and held their ground. For beasts like Papalii and Vete it looked like they had it covered. Thought the one on one defence of Tui and Lino was good. They faded all in areas of the game late in the last quarter.

All the extra defensive training the Warriors are pushing through looks to paying off. Early days but I hope thats shows when it really counts.

It was hard at times to tell who was who. Faitala-Mariner, Metia, and Kata were often hard to make out. Didn't help that they were chucking on players that weren't even on the team list.

Maybe my view of the game is tainted too much by my rose tinted half full approach but thats how I saw it. The future looks bright for a lot of these youngsters and the Warriors stable looks in great health. Lets hope they progress nicely from NYC to Reserve Grade to NRL...

Sione Lousi had a great game. Real captains knock and my Warriors MoM. Sure he did his job in terms of hitting it up but he did so with speed and strength and made an impact at the line every time. Best part of his game was what he was doing off the ball. He had an amazing defensive workload and high work rate. Was barking out orders and communicating well. What was most impressive is that thats his first game since doing his ACL against the same team almost a year to the date. He's going to be a great addition to the Nines and should get a call up to the 1st grade team. If he continues playing like he did yesterday we would all be impressed.
This is good to hear. We had four regular first grade props this year with Matagi debuting at fitting in. Sione had a really good year in 2012 and in my opnion really looked like he had gotten comfortable playing first grade with the more regular game time as previously he was used as injury cover for a week or two. If he's been training the house down like people have posted previously; if he doesn't impress enough for round 1 or the incumbents get first crack they better perform as we have a 5th prop waiting. He should get game time as Rapira and Lillyman get injured often and Matagi being only his second year will be up and down.

The report on Gubb was good to hear as well; hopefully more talk on his on field exploits instead of what he tweets; unless it's about winning of course.;)

It sounds like this trial served it's purpose; give some of the fringe first graders a run and see where the youngsters are at in their development. Each one from now will be a step up; Wigan are preparing for an important so should be treating the game as being important.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
My first trial game. Never knew how dirty these local teams are. Do they feel like big men cheap shoting under 20s?
Hahahaha thats the local game for ya. Real down and dirty grubby shit.

Every NYC and Reserve Grader should be made to play 2 games for their club to remember just how grubs play. Those NYC players and those on the fringe should get used to it if they want to play in their prems team as is being wanted by Jones and crew...

I was at the game too and must admit that there were a few standouts. Lolohea is going to be a star of the future- do not let this kid go Warriors Please! Ikahihifo was solid too, could develop into another ET- solid, reliable customer who tackles well, might lack the size factor like ET did but will develop into a reliable defensive player which we need now that ET is gone.

As for the halves, I must say that Mason Lino really improved in my eyes. I never really saw him as one with much potential at the club, but his kicking game was solid and he has a certain structure to his game that is very welcoming in stark contrast to Shaun Johnson. His goal kicking is leagues ahead of Shaun Johnson in my opinion, though my only concern is his incredibly small stature, which will be tough for him in defense, though this is already a problem with Shaun Johnson and his high mistackle rate. Still I believe Lino deserves a shot if our halves get injured, and should serve competition with Townsend, Johnson and Leuluai. He should defs be in the Vulcans at the very least, though he may have played a few games there already, I don't know.

My biggest disappointment was Laumape. He had a few shockers under the high air, though I was far away so I may have mistaken him for Hurrell. He's normally reliable under the high ball last season, so this might have been the case. Either way, I'd like to see him shift to the centres, he made some good runs but I don't think he touched the ball enough.

Nice write-up MTW - especially since there was bugger all footage of it. It's good to have some perspective especially knowing there were so many players outside of the FG squad on show.

Even the whole Warriors team of 30 players combined didn't have the experience of Anthony Minichiello who has played 237 games.

But, I think you mean 'Mark' right? Unless the Count has jumped ship from the Roosters very recently :D

Various reports of Laumape struggling under the high ball. He is a centre through and through in my opinion, because he simply does not want to know about the high ball. I know that a lot of this stuff can be coached and he will improve with experience and confidence, but he really does not want to know about it. The ANZAC game last year he was on the wing, every time a bomb went up that should have been his, he bailed and pointed to Locke. That was one of the best games I have ever seen Locke play, he was everywhere covering the back that night, but he still got slagged off when Waqa scored a crucial try because the ball bounced. It was Laumapes ball for sure.

I echo everyone's thoughts about yesterday's game and for me. One thing that stood out for me was our ability to get front foot ruck ball particularly in the first half. We weren't dominated in the tackle and that allowed a number of quick play the balls. I hate Klein as a ref, and he may have been right yesterday but I just hate him. Annoyed me the whole game.

What I found interesting was the rule interpretation about lifting / bending a players knee in the tackle. I thought it was after a tackle had been completed you couldn't do it, but Klein was calling while they were standing in a slow forward moving "held". They were also severe on any arms near the head or neck. In one instance, a Titan fell into a Warriors arm the brushed the back of his neck and that was penalised. I thought that was harsh.

I could be wrong, but that confused me the most from where I was sitting without a replay.

The match was a positive for the club and for league fans. Finally, the season is back!

Reactions: Est95

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
I saw some positive signs from our boys but hell the titan's were chiming in all over the place.

Iron Lion

Yeah never seen the big bloke before - not a league junior.
Might be a rugby junior - he was a giant.

With Baldwinson, Tonks,
Lisone has NRL written all over him too
Taylor still eliglbe for 20s.

NYC is filled with a super strong forward pack - but rather than a few stars plenty of them actually potential to kick on.

Found the Kid - Your right from Rugby

Tui Katoa 198cm 118kg from online reports - Here is a video of him