Injury 2023 Injury thread

Tohu Harris: Lower back injury, muscle spasms, returned to training, expected return round 1. NRL finals series

Shaun Johnson: Reported Quad (thigh) injury, restricted kicking duties, fit to play.

Jazz Tevanga: High Hamstring strain. Returned to training, return to play unclear, potential to be available for selection at some stage of the finals series.

Last edited:
Take it for what it is but Metcalf’s injury return on NRL.com is showing finals and he’s also edited his instagram post which had previously said that he’s done for the season!

Makes sense that they give him every chance to be fit for finals. Still think they’ll continue to roll with TMM but having Metcalf available if needed would be ideal. We’ll wait and see!
9E76CBE0-CD86-46FF-A44B-74CD6300552C.jpeg

NZ Warriors captain Tohu Harris calms fears over injured back as Penrith Panthers await in playoffs

NZ Warriors captain Tohu Harris is pushing any and all injury concerns to the side, as he prepares to face reigning premiers Penrith Panthers on Saturday.

Harris, 31, has been named to captain the Warriors against Penrith in the second qualifying final, played at BlueBet Stadium, Sydney.

Win, and the Warriors will get a week off to prepare for a preliminary final, while a defeat would see the Kiwi side return home for a semi-final against either Newcastle Knights or Canberra Raiders for the chance to face one of Brisbane Broncos or Melbourne Storm in the NRL grand final.

Harris, though, returns to the Warriors ranks after sitting out of their final regular season fixture, when he was rested as a precaution for a back injury.
Coach Andrew Webster asserted from the start there was no long-term fears over Harris, rather that it was more beneficial to give his captain a week's rest rather than risk aggravating the issue with a flight to Brisbane.

But it wouldn't have been the first time Harris played through injury this year - far from it.

Harris has already played through a medial collateral ligament injury in his knee, admitting he'd have to shoulder the pain for the entirety of the campaign.

And while the back complaint is nowhere near as serious as a knee injury, Harris made a point of the fact he's going to be fine to take to the field against the Panthers, who themselves are looking for a third title in as many years.

"My back's good," Harris assured. "Not having to travel on the weekend did wonders for it. I'm going to be fine.

"[It was] just general soreness or tightness that just built up over a week or two. The staff did a good job of pulling me out of different contact sessions.

"Then missing the game and not having to travel on an aeroplane was massive. Having that extra week has been great.

"Once we get out onto the field, the adrenaline will take care of the rest. It's not going to be a problem at all."

While the Panthers look for a third consecutive crown, though, the Warriors will push for premiership No.1.

This year represents a return to the NRL playoffs for the first time since 2018 when they were coincidentally knocked out by Penrith.

In that time, the Panthers have only gone from strength to strength under coach Ivan Cleary - formerly of the Warriors.

But rather than be intimidated at the thought of facing one of the game's modern-day great sides, Harris couldn't have wished for a better opponent right off the bat.

"Everyone's excited, we have an exciting challenge ahead of us," he continued. "I don't think it can get any better.

"We get to go and play the two-time defending champions at their home ground. We can't wait for it, to be honest.

"It's going to be a tough game, but if we want to win this competition, we have to go through these guys at some point, and we get to have them first up.

"I'm looking forward to it."

We need more information apart from lower leg.

What are we talking here...muscle? tendon? ligament? bone? joint pain?

Lower leg and fifty fifty tells us nothing.
Yeah but do you risk playing him at 50/50 or just sya get it right for next week?

Just tripping that week one of the finals vs Panthers and Volkman is lining up!

It's a win win I guess, no way are we expected to do anything, could be good for Ronnie behind a better pack this week? Hope the whole team is rallying behind him.

And I hope he's cocky enough to take his opportunity.