Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Match Stats

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT/IT Pos DR H/M K/M AR/M E P

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT/IT Pos DR H/M K/M AR/M E P
Gameday thread for Warriors games. Post your thoughts/discussion/news as the day and game unfolds. Scores/Stats update every 5mins during the game.
worked for me but i couldnt tell anything from that - 2 pixilated for mind

ohh had to check the start it added 2 https- so i deleted all before the www
its his left knee, the one on the right side of the screen as we look at him, the leg with strapping. if you pause at 1min 47-48 you can see the bone poke out at the top of the knee.

Can't view the vid for some reason. Can someone tell me what exactly happened to Ropo in that tackle? Was it a leg and head injury in one shot?
I reckon half the 'smash-dem-bro' highlights this year will come from that game. Some MASSIVE hits indeed!
as suggested by another poster, click on the link and then delete everything before the www in the url line at the top of your screen.

I noticed while watching the game that Ropo's hand went straight to his leg as he was falling. I don't think the head shot actually hurt him that much, but because it happened they got to use a free interchange to sub him off.

Cheers, managed to view it.
Agreed, the shoulder wasn't terrible but may have made some head contact.
Jro looked bloody despondent on the sidelines though - poor bugger.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
ok didnt realise u could change the resolution - yep that looked way bad, still think the tears were about him seeing his season going bye bye not the actual pain which would have been immense. Glad that he got his bonus year signed before that happened, but really dont expect to see him back for many weeks and then only if there is a injury cover required

ok didnt realise u could change the resolution - yep that looked way bad, still think the tears were about him seeing his season going bye bye not the actual pain which would have been immense. Glad that he got his bonus year signed before that happened, but really dont expect to see him back for many weeks and then only if there is a injury cover required
if its just a dislocation he could be back in a month or 2, maybe round 16 or 17. though youd expect fitness would be an issue.

its been a bad year for injuries, reminds me of the start of 2010

Thanks for the link to the highlights, I didn't actually see the knee bone popping up when I watched it live and in the replays they showed but I can see it in that video. I feel for Ropo, you could tell straight away that he was in pain and that it was somewhat serious. The shots of him on the sideline, he was devastated. Hope he's back in a month or two!

im surprised they didnt try to bomb maloney as well. we were lucky at the end of the day, well below par.

I couldn't really disagree anymore with regards to us being lucky. The roosters started off with a lucky try, if that, had possesion galore, yet could only manage 8 points. Once we gained possesion we equaled, then went past them. They got Jerome high, complained like bitches, got really angry about it. Flew out of the blocks in the second half. Mean while, our replacement fullback, got taken off, our 5/8 went to the back. We played with 16 men, belted them twice as hard, gained the lead threw some stunning attack, got another try, were on top hard. Looking like putting a score on them, when Ta'ai got too heated, while in possesion. If Ta'ai stayed cool, we would've won by 16 points, easy. Thats not lucky. Thats playing hard and tough, without a fullback, by pure skill and grit.

In summary, we lost our fullback, and not only gained ascendancy by were on our way to belting them. Until one of our own, cost us our momentum.

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Not sure if this has been raised, but Hurrells defence left a lot to be desired. I counted the first four tackles he attempted he missed. He makes really good reads on the opposition, but he is falling off far too many tackles. It didn't cost us today, but against some better centres (or a bit of luck on their behalf) it could. I was really impressed with his speed for that try - he made that whole edge, plus Mini, look slow.

Not sure if this has been raised, but Hurrells defence left a lot to be desired. I counted the first four tackles he attempted he missed. He makes really good reads on the opposition, but he is falling off far too many tackles. It didn't cost us today, but against some better centres (or a bit of luck on their behalf) it could. I was really impressed with his speed for that try - he made that whole edge, plus Mini, look slow.

Probably why Nielsen is such a good signing for us. Can't remember, if at all, we've ever had an defensive centre. A geniune rock. Who was our last? Brent Tate, would be it i suppose. Anyway, it's easier to accept Hurrell's faults because he's still so raw, and still manages to add something in attack. For a handfull of games, he's going strong in attack, finally got to show his speed today. A passing display is still to be shown, but i know its there. Just needs to learn to hold his own in defense, his attack is already looking mighty.

Lots of things struck me about that game.

For mine it is the most critical Win of the season and has placed us in position to strike for the eight.

My MOM goes to Bluey :

Taking the whole Season in context , the most exciting thing he has achieved with this team is the Introduction of our Junior stars Hurrell / Henry and Lousi and the promotion of Mara to our number 2. Hooker balanced by making Godinet a replacement half and resisting the temptation to do to Godinet what was done last year....shoved into hooker in a show of no faith in Mara.....and less Faith in Godinet as a half option.

Bluey has shown he has balls , he's not a conservative coach , in the early rounds his lack of results was a real shock to the Warriors family ( Fans / players/ management) but credit where it is due , under massive pressure and calls for his head , he has turned around the low Morale of the players , to a four Game solid streak of top four form ( including the Storm loss.....top four teams lose games people )

Last year we went into the finals with one win over a top four side....the year before none. To be fair some of Bluey's risk calls backfire, (Maloney at Fb tonight was a Horror) . Still the way he has us placed this week and the promise of the next sixteen rounds.......means we may see a player like Omar tested as well.

Blueys selections are perturbing to fans , but equally a challenge for opposition coaches to read.

MOM on field performance : Mara by a country mile for mine. As good as Freind is ( i'm a Freind fan ) Mara acheived something Nathan Freind hasn't .....he came in tonight cold....with a massive brief , he delivered on every count....defensively he was out standing ( the attempted stop on Leilua which he actually was robed over / Leilua apparently can score a try with the outside of his forearm .....look at the way his fingers are facing on the replay )
Mara had to play against a dominant forward pack ( lets be honest the MOM was JWH and his mates....taking your Warrior one eye patch off have a think about Big Ben and Jacobs quieter games.....we've seen Manly and the Bulldogs and the Roosters rip us a new one under the same conditions).

Secound on our MOM : Konrad Hurrell , if you still think all he has in his game is a barge over Jnr Sau style then wait till you see the passing game that he will add to the hole running. One of those players who knows how to use a Low center of gravity ...as seen by the Try finishing skill in traffic ( check out that side step ) and i keep saying it....but you just wait till he brings the passing game he showed in the NYC.

Konrad has been playing NRL for FIve minutes....check out the three seasoned players fully entitled to stop him near the line.

Lastly my third MOM goes to Henry Perenara. What a Star he is. The first truly objective Reff the Warriors have played in front of. No favours For us or them , No brain explosions, Authoritative and in command. No favorites .

I had a long and hard laugh at the Irony When Henry called a dropped ball in the play the ball by us and then that twit from Australia said " HENRY HENRY HENRY " and over ruled him in favour of us...claiming a Rooster kicked the ball ...

Isn't that frkn Ironic.....Bring on the Test matches with our Henry as Number one Reff.

Been thinking about this win - it really is a crucial one. And in a number of aspects.

- We won't come up against a bigger more determined pack. And whilst we didn't dominate them, we held our own. And but for IMO a dodgy video ref call for their first try we'd have won by a few more.
- The growth of our ex-NYC'ers is nothing short of phenomenal. Think about it - Mutts, Rusty, Nobby, Elijah, Lousi, Shaun Johnson, Toupo, Godinet, Fish, Henry. How many other NRL teams have that many players they've brought through their own system and who could conceivably all be in the starting line up.
- The ever improvement of Shaun Johnson. Wow this guy is an excitement machine. His first try was unbelievable. In full speed you could hardly see his shuffle but in slo-mo you could and he went through untouched. Then his 2nd! Wow not many players get the better of SKD like
that especially not when they are giving away that much height.
- Manu! I am unashamedly and unreservedly a Manu fan. He made an error or two last night, but that try is exactly what we mean by a Manu only try. He got up over the opposition but then still had work to do to get to the line and still he did it.
- Hurrell. Showed glimpses of what we're in for. His running is awesome. Scored two tries and then rolled up his sleeves and got involved helping out the forwards. Awesome stuff.

Overall really pleased with all aspects other than the few silly penalties which let them back in the game a few times.

- The growth of our ex-NYC'ers is nothing short of phenomenal. Think about it - Mutts, Rusty, Nobby, Elijah, Lousi, Shaun Johnson, Toupo, Godinet, Fish, Henry. How many other NRL teams have that many players they've brought through their own system and who could conceivably all be in the starting line up.

Godinet never went through the NYC. He was discovered by the Warriors while playing in the Vulcans.

Were their forwards dominant? I thought JWH was good and I'm usually a critic of him. He's got the potential but gets caught up in the bluster and intimidation and doesn't normally produce the stats to match. Last night he played a smart game however Big Ben ran for 96 metres from 10 hitups while JWH produced 50m from only 6 hitups. I know JWH's influence for them can't be measured in stats but come on, 50m from JWH and 63m from Kennedy, the two starting props, is rubbish in any coaches book.

He made some really poor defensive reads but Moga was far worse. Both coaches were targeting the most inexperienced players, our one just happens to be a massive attacking threat and Moga isn't the second coming of Israel Folau that the Roosters fans expected him to be.

My MOM goes to Bluey :

Taking the whole Season in context , the most exciting thing he has achieved with this team is the Introduction of our Junior stars Hurrell / Henry and Lousi and the promotion of Mara to our number 2. Hooker balanced by making Godinet a replacement half and resisting the temptation to do to Godinet what was done last year....shoved into hooker in a show of no faith in Mara.....and less Faith in Godinet as a half option.

Bluey has shown he has balls , he's not a conservative coach , in the early rounds his lack of results was a real shock to the Warriors family ( Fans / players/ management) but credit where it is due , under massive pressure and calls for his head , he has turned around the low Morale of the players , to a four Game solid streak of top four form ( including the Storm loss.....top four teams lose games people )

Last year we went into the finals with one win over a top four side....the year before none. To be fair some of Bluey's risk calls backfire, (Maloney at Fb tonight was a Horror) . Still the way he has us placed this week and the promise of the next sixteen rounds.......means we may see a player like Omar tested as well.

Blueys selections are perturbing to fans , but equally a challenge for opposition coaches to read.

I was a huge Bluey fan before his arrival, but now not so much. I can't agree with him having balls.

He introduced Benry to the centres as a "safe" centre option. He was selected because he was seen as a strong defender, and it was hoped he would sure up our edge. To begin with, that couldn't have been further from the truth. Now Benry is fitting in nicely. But, for me, a big part of the reason Bluey persisted with Benry was because he didn't want Inu. Ropo was injured at one stage, and covering for Locke at others, and Hurrell was just seen as being too green and too soft to handle 80 minutes. He didn't have a lot of choices.

Hurrell, apart from game 1, was only used as injury cover when Inu was the only choice, and even then he had been passed over for Krisnan at times. Again, not a sign of genius, but more a selection of neccessity.

And Bluey can't take the credit for introducing Lousi. Ivan debutted Sione and Bluey only turned him into a prop because we couldn't field enough props to start the season. The same thing has happened with Ta'ai. There is no way either Lousi or Ta'ai would be playing if they had remained as second rowers, and the only other choice he had in his full squad to step up as prop would probably be Sione's "little" brother, who is a maybe a bit too lazy and relaxed for prop.

Bluey made his intentions clear at the start of the year regarding hookers. He ranked Brown as second choice with Mara behind him and said that Godinet was NOT a hooker, but was halves cover. I can accept that, but would prefer to have Brown remain in the 2nd row. Bluey had no intention of playing Mara for 80 minutes (with Brown obviously meant to interchange between Mateo and Mara, rather than being shifted to the bench), and my choice would have still been to have Godinet on the bench to interchange with Alehana, thus giving sustained impact and also allowing cover for any (though it has been pointed out to me that injury to backs is too big a what-if to need cover for) injury in the backs.

I know Jimmy wasn't great at FB last night, and that we were lucky the Roosters missed their opportunities to test him, but Bluey had no other choice. The only other option I could see would be moving Tupou to FB with Brown maybe shifting to the wing - a horrible choice, in my mind.

I am hopeful that Bluey will eventually, with a full squad to choose from, make the right choices for the right reasons, and become a real Top 4 coach. Right now, I have my doubts.

Danpatmac

Were their forwards dominant? I thought JWH was good and I'm usually a critic of him. He's got the potential but gets caught up in the bluster and intimidation but doesn't normally produce the stats to match. Last night he played a smart game however Big Ben ran for 96 metres from 10 hitups while JWH produced 50m from only 6 hitups. I know JWH's influence for them can't be measured in stats but come on, 50m from JWH and 63m from Kennedy, the two starting props, is rubbish in any coaches book.

I felt that it was a 55/45 win in the forward battle to the Roosters.
This is based on the speed of the ptb. There was a distinct difference in the pace at which the Roosters ran, moved the ball and came up on D. This combined with their size has given our forwards real headaches in the 2 games we have played them. Packer and Brown were the only 2 of ours who matched them, Matulino wasn't as prominent as previous games.

This should be the end of the 4 forward bench. No cover for FB, given it's importance as a position of influence in both attack and defence, is simply not smart. Maloney did all that could have been asked, but not ideal at all.

As sad as it is to see a man so dejected, and I wouldn't wish injury on them man but, I am of the belief that Ropati's injury will mean that we are able to see my preferred backline in the next period of games. it is harsh but, I don't agree with the club that he is the number 1 centre and this allows better players (imo) to play in both the centres and at fb.

Ukuma Ta'ai is Epalahame Lauaki.

Vatuvei scored a great try and seemed genuinely relieved when he scored, it is good as other elements of his game were not as good. His ball security in playing the ball was unacceptable at times. 2 hands on the ball at all times or else my heart is in my mouth. We were lucky to get away with a few of his and Ta'ai's ptbs.

Billy Tupou is really worring me. I know he has his fans, but he is not doing enough good things for mine. Mediocre at best... I don't want to mediocrity in my wingers. I would prefer Inu. it's just my preference.

Mara looked good and Brown looked good too in the hooking back up role. I'm still stunned we have let him go.

We are now 5 and 5, but i'm still a bit off being totally convinced about this team.

Reactions: Sup42
Billy Tupou is really worring me. I know he has his fans, but he is not doing enough good things for mine. Mediocre at best... I don't want to mediocrity in my wingers. I would prefer Inu. it's just my preference.

Thats why I think it is absolutely imperative that the Warriors sign Omar on next year. He would be my first choice wing and my number 2 fullback. Tupou could step up if Omar, Manu or Locke are injured. I really like Inu and hope he stays on next year, but it is clear the club dislike him and won't use him unless there is no other choice, so we should be realistic.

Reactions: 1 person
Thats why I think it is absolutely imperative that the Warriors sign Omar on next year. He would be my first choice wing and my number 2 fullback. Tupou could step up if Omar, Manu or Locke are injured. I really like Inu and hope he stays on next year, but it is clear the club dislike him and won't use him unless there is no other choice, so we should be realistic.

Yup totally agree, Tupou just doesnt offer enough to be a starting calibre winger in the nrl. Omar and Inu there would be my first choices too.

Yup totally agree, Tupou just doesnt offer enough to be a starting calibre winger in the nrl. Omar and Inu there would be my first choices too.
Omar to the Bunnies is what I'm hearing.

For someone who hasn't played first grade I'm not too sure how he could be a first choice wing or backup FB.

Luckily Bluey confirmed this morning that next week the FB slot is between Locke if fit and the Fish.

Fish has been unlucky this year in that he played in games where we were awful and our forwards got totally owned.

Put him behind the package way they're playing and you see a totally different player.