International New Zealand Kiwis

New Zealand Kiwis
Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 12.52.57 PM.png

Sorry for replying in a different thread, just figured it deserved its own space

Hopefully the current players or Stacey hold some sway.

I feel like Stacey would want the job for himself wouldn't he? especially off the back of how well we went this year

I've said it earlier, but I just don't think having the Kiwis coach doubling as NSW coach will knock the tier-one wall down. I'd love a world where all players are set on whether they want to chase an Origin spot or a Kiwis spot but they usually aren't, and I just don't see Madge approaching a player that can play for both and doing it with his Kiwis cap on

They might not be on the same level as Madge as a coach, but I don't think you can do much better than our only WC-winning captain and the best to ever play for the Kiwis in terms of keeping pride in the jersey as high as it is right now.

Staying with Madge will be one step forward to take two steps back, moving on will be one step back to take two steps forward, in my opinion

Madge to take us to the next World Cup, we may need another assistant coach, to helpout possibly. quite happy with the trajectory he is taking us in. His knowledge of the Origin arena will certainly help us out, going forward.

Why would we try and get rid of Madge the fella that just took NZ to their biggest ever win against Australia and the first time they've been held scoreless, selectors & old players think their bigger than the game joke NZRL is, the way I see it this would probably be a good outcome for Australian & NZ rugby league, they don't really want us playing Origin this could entice Madge to have enough understanding to help these Kiwis come home instead of playing Origin I just hope he doesn't steal our players

After this pacific championships I’m on board with Madge till 2026.

I get where kempy is coming from, what Kearney era did was implement a pathways structure that led to the top job. We saw that with the transistion to kidwell but that move nearly destroyed the brand. If they had managed that process better we may not be in the situation we were in circa 2016-2022.

Getting Madge was kind of correcting that mistake and changing the coaching structure to what it is today.

In saying that. If the NZRL managed it correctly I think 2027 would be the right time to make the transistion back to the Kiwi coach. Madge and the team seem to have unfinished business from 2022. You felt the 30-0 was more about getting revenge as it was winning the comp.

Madge’s record is 2-3 v Kangaroos.
In order for him to be viewed by me as being successful he will need to maintain a 50% winning percentage against the Roos in this World Cup cycle. They may have two more games next year. I think England are touring aus 2025 then its World Cup 2026 so you might meet them in group stage and a semi or final.

We really only have 4-5 more games against aus including the World Cup.

If he can win again next year and a World Cup. He might be considered one of our best ever coaches.

Also credit to him he has kept the island nations in check and in fact dominating them throughout his tenure. That is to be commended for maintaining those standards.

I haven’t seen the level of passion that I saw from this years team for the jersey in a long time. When I see passion like in the final something must be going right in camp.

He’s doing his best work I feel. The team is on a high from a performance perspective.

It’s now up to the NZRL to better promote the team so that we can sell out games.

I believe the bids for the World Cup will be announced tomorrow. Hopefully the NZRL have put their hand up to host. I think a World Cup where men’s women’s and wheelchair completely in NZ will do a lot for the grassroots of the game.

To see us win two world cups at home would be a dream come true.

Why would we try and get rid of Madge the fella that just took NZ to their biggest ever win against Australia and the first time they've been held scoreless, selectors & old players think their bigger than the game joke NZRL is, the way I see it this would probably be a good outcome for Australian & NZ rugby league, they don't really want us playing Origin this could entice Madge to have enough understanding to help these Kiwis come home instead of playing Origin I just hope he doesn't steal our players
3rd time held scoreless
85 18-0
05 24-0
23 30-0

Not a massive issue this year has proven that. NSW don't have anywhere near as many eligible Kiwis as the Maroons. It would be an issue if he went after Leota or JFH. What is more likely to happen is him pushing for a change to allow Tier 1 nations to play Origin. Even if Origin players could play for the Kiwis would it really make that much difference to the quality of our squad, we blew Toa away who were stacked with Origin players.

I have concerns him coaching both. What hat does Madge put on when a player comes about who's eligible for both NSW & NZ? Does he put on his blues hat & convince him to defect to origin or his NZ hat & tell him to stick with his country of birth?
My exact feelings on this. I'm concerned he'll start poaching potential kiwis for NSW.

I cannot see in any way shape or form how he can do both roles.

My thinking has nothing to do with player eligibility and Madge nudging potential Kiwis into NSW colours.

Mine is simply practicality - how can he assess players for both teams at the same time? It is common knowledge a method of selection is to attend a game and watch a player only for long periods, 20mins or more, maybe a whole half, intently watching individual players.

He simply cannot execute that for both teams.

The only way it could work is that he just isn't the kiwis coach until post Origin, after that he can direct his whole focus to the Kiwis but before that time of the year he just won't be able to.

I guess the big question is, do the Kiwis suffer under that arrangement?

What would he be doing with the Kiwis during Origin anyway, if it was that necessary to have him with the Kiwis during the Origin, series why not appoint an assistant. It is not like the Kiwi coaching job doesn't start after the NRL or if they decide to have a mid season test which is highly unlikely.

Simple solution, put a kiwis team and a pacific island's team in origin. Then players can play where their heart is. Strayans wouldn't like it tho as the pinnacle of league would not be this bullcrap narrative of NSW versus QLD (QLD'er to NSW'er - "I hate you, you dirty cockroach, but I'll see you at practice at Manly on Monday, mate"), but being smashed by Kiwis...

Back