General Warriors Vs Broncos (Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brave team with Kodi Nokorima at Six.....that would be like us naming Lolohea in the starting line up....that part will be good to watch / assess how the young man goes.
He ran well in the Nines / didn't look so flash on D , which is about where our Marquees Tomkins and Johnson sat on the balance ledger. Still Our Xffactor x2 out configures theirs with Hoffman at the back instead of Barbar ( very interesting with the rumblings about Hoffman refusing to step down form the Number one ).

We'll see. Perhaps that's why Kearney 'punished' Hoffman at the World cup.....his non selection in that sleeping pill doped up side was an enigma.

Hoffman would be useful in a Warriors Jersey were he prepared to play Wing / Center......he could be special A ++.

I think they are hating on Hoffman these days in the fashion of Ropo here, shame really.

I was looking forward to Barbar V Tomkins....instead we will see the NZ Fullback who should have been V the England Fullback who was....not too shabby.

was reading that Hoffman has asked to be released from the broncos multiple times 2 join the dogs but broncos wont release him.

Reactions: Sup42
Brave team with Kodi Nokorima at Six.....that would be like us naming Lolohea in the starting line up....that part will be good to watch / assess how the young man goes.

Brave indeed, he looked even smaller than Ben Barba on the field at the Nines.

I've got to say, as Broncos line ups go, it really has very little fear factor for me. If their top line is similar to that for the rest of the year (obviously they have players like Hodges and Barba to come in) I reckon they could struggle again.

Brave team with Kodi Nokorima at Six.....that would be like us naming Lolohea in the starting line up
They ran out of choices, was meant to be Kahu or Strasser take over the throne but Kahu is often injured and best suited at centre whilst Strasser was poor in the trials. Nokorima put his hand up at nines, and if he goes okay this weekend will be the first of many to steal an NRL starting spot as a result of the nines. Who knows, with Nielsen and Laumape not fronting this weekend (injury?) Solomone Kata might do the same...

Brave indeed, he looked even smaller than Ben Barba on the field at the Nines.

I've got to say, as Broncos line ups go, it really has very little fear factor for me. If their top line is similar to that for the rest of the year (obviously they have players like Hodges and Barba to come in) I reckon they could struggle again.
Yea they lift for us though I spose. Some epic 10 - 12 score lines in the last couple of years ( or thereabouts ). Then there was the catch up win at Mt Smart with Hurrell stealing victory in the last minutes.
They must be pretty desperate after Wallace to have some spark in the halves.
We on the other hand have Lolohea who we don't have to throw in there and hope...pretty good position to be in. Todd Lowrie will play well you would think.

Yow Yeh in the extended squad is a revelation , after snapping his leg in half it will be an amazing story if he can make it back....I hope he does.

Yea they lift for us though I spose. Some epic 10 - 12 score lines in the last couple of years ( or thereabouts ). Then there was the catch up win at Mt Smart with Hurrell stealing victory in the last minutes.
They must be pretty desperate after Wallace to have some spark in the halves.
We on the other hand have Lolohea who we don't have to throw in there and hope...pretty good position to be in. Todd Lowrie will play well you would think.

Yow Yeh in the extended squad is a revelation , after snapping his leg in half it will be an amazing story if he can make it back....I hope he does.

Just, when you compare this Broncos side, with Broncos sides of the past, to me at least it does not stack up well. That backline leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
Just, when you compare this Broncos side, with Broncos sides of the past, to me at least it does not stack up well. That backline leaves a lot to be desired.
Yep a bit plain Jane these days aye. You wonder what could have been had they been able to keep Bennett happy ( still he did it all up there and there aint much you can offer someone in the way of challenges with that C.V.......Bronco's resurrection ? Benny returns....

Elliott was on the Nrl Summertime pre season program just before nines started on Saturday. Was happy with the new signings and said that Townsend would probably start at 7 for the Broncos trial. Not sure if whether having the 7 or 6 on the back matters anymore. Certainly if we are having our halves playing on different sides of the field. Wondering if Elliott is leaving the general running of the team up to CT. Shaun Johnson not having to worry about feeding scrums, organizing the team and general field kicking would leave him free to scheme with Tomkins and be more able to look for and exploit weaknesses in the opposition. I hope this is the case and it works out like I hope it will.
It probably doesn't matter what Jumper number they wear if the coach is going to stick them wherever he chooses at the end of the day , but if this is true I'm over the moon about it.
I have always suspected that Johnson has clung to the number seven even though he has stand off written all over him because it's his favorite position and his Idols Andrew Johns and Stacey Jone's number.
He is from the era where halves ruled the world and stand offs like Fittler were lesser beings ( not in my opinion , just how it rolled ).
I might be wrong but the saying if it walks like a duck....quacks like a duck.........Johnson is the runner , he is not the link you want between Forwards and backs , he's wasted distributing the ball all day and isn't the best player at that role.
It was weird when a true number seven in Leuluai came to our club with all those years of playing that fundamental distribution role and they stuck a number six on the back of his Jersey ( that more than anything fed my theory about Johnson wagging the dog ).

Even though in reality Johnson played Stand off in a seven Jumper and Leuluai in a six in real terms......it doesn't bode well for kids and people new to the game trying to get their heads around the fundamentals of a rugby league team if Johnson wears the wrong number / if that is what has been happening out there...sure looks like it to me.

He was a halfback in the NYC I know I know

Fire away :facepalm:

How seriously do we take the result in this game ?

Last year we rolled out our Number ones and played it like an NRL match , not so much a trial game....more of a dress rehearsal.

Then we fall flat a Week later to the miserable Eels.

What do we want from out Top forwards ? Long minutes ? fitness builder ? or save some juice for the following week and use Gub + Lousi + Peroux mercilessly?

Last year we rolled out our Number ones and played it like an NRL match , not so much a trial game....more of a dress rehearsal.

What do we want from out Top forwards ? Long minutes ? fitness builder ? or save some juice for the following week and use Gub + Lousi + Peroux mercilessly?

I am not worried about the result. But it should be close either way, as we have named a strong team. This should not be a game for experiments; it should be about solidifying combinations and making decisions regarding bench spots. Therefore, I expect big minutes from the likes of Gubb, Lousi etc. Peyroux is not threatening anybody's jersey imho so he should be used only for resting Mannering. Similarly Fusitua and Tuimavave - there to rest big names and get a bit of a run.
I really want Palavi given big minutes, as I see him as a possible lock in FG

I'd prefer to get some decent minutes out of a lot of our top guys. Trials are a bit of the weird time as players get interchanged more then they would normally and more players are used; then you go into the season where the results matter and with less interchanges your game time increases.

For the top forwards it's a case of giving them enough game time so we are comfortable with their match fitness; then we need enough to give Gubb, Lousi and a few others time to see where they are at in terms of pushing for first grade.

We have a new spine so I'd like to see them given good game time to see how they direct us around the field and how well they interact. Once the coaching staff are happy with what they see then cycle them out for some of the fringe players.

Just can't wait. Being one of the best couch coaches in the game, I want the game to finish and I am very clear in the 17 I would pick. It would be awesome to be not sure in a few positions but hopefully that uncertainty is all about who to miss out and not who to put in. I hope our forward pack can build on the Wigan match and the back line improve from their 9s experience. If they can marry the two areas up I think we could be a huge threat this season. I am confident about our defensive structure and work in the tackle although curious about being beaten on the outside. That centre-wing defensive decision making is what i want exploited on Sunday by the Broncos.

Huge trial for:
Gubb, Bukuya, Kata, Tuimavave

I think the key thing to look for in a trial like this are points in patches. That for me is what wins and loses close NRL games, of which most are. The Warriors have been notorious recently for letting in 3 tries in 10 minutes and then trying to fight back.

Good fundamentals, set completions following points (scored and conceded) and intensity in defence are what I will be looking for.

Yep a bit plain Jane these days aye. You wonder what could have been had they been able to keep Bennett happy ( still he did it all up there and there aint much you can offer someone in the way of challenges with that C.V.......Bronco's resurrection ? Benny returns....
Geez bro, plain Jane, at some stage you would think they would be at full strength,
Barba,Yow Yeh,Hodges,Reed,Hoffman and there's a bit to like about there 2nd stringers Mills, Vidot, Maranta, Copley and Kahu.
Oates has rep future written all over him, they have some mean depth in the backs and the pack is awesome, Thaiday at 13 is hugely interesting..
Nikorima is very good, whether or not they can get a decent combo going with Hunt is the big question for me, it's been the biggest problem for them the last few seasons, but the young halves have plenty of experience around them, to me they remind me of Manly a couple of years ago, if this team fires and aren't too injury hampered they will go top 4 IMO..

Geez bro, plain Jane, at some stage you would think they would be at full strength,
Barba,Yow Yeh,Hodges,Reed,Hoffman and there's a bit to like about there 2nd stringers Mills, Vidot, Maranta, Copley and Kahu.
Oates has rep future written all over him, they have some mean depth in the backs and the pack is awesome, Thaiday at 13 is hugely interesting..
Nikorima is very good, whether or not they can get a decent combo going with Hunt is the big question for me, it's been the biggest problem for them the last few seasons, but the young halves have plenty of experience around them, to me they remind me of Manly a couple of years ago, if this team fires and aren't too injury hampered they will go top 4 IMO..

I hope they do , I like the Broncs. Their nines Lot looked way small across the Park.

The plain Jane comment was compared to the Wayne Bennett Rosters.

Talk is Yow Yee has a long ways to come back.....no ones really sure if he will physically fully recover......I hope he does....amazing he has even returned to footy in any capacity.

Nikorima isn't a very good defender , but otherwise he's exciting.

Don't know what's happening with Vidot.....didn't make the trial team......he's a bit of a head case so far from a sure thing.

Thaiday has some good skills for a fellow with his motor , I know the Bronco's fans get upset every time he is wasted at Prop.

Hodges is a bit Like Jerome Ropati these days ( will he won't he last five minutes )

Maranta seems fairly despised for being a very plain player over there.

Reactions: OMG
Status
Not open for further replies.