General Warriors Vs Broncos (Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really disagree with any of that. The additional top 17 picks you list it is more a case of juggling the pieces especially for props and second rowers.

If there is less wrestling this year and less 3-4 man tackles hopefully Rapira and Matagi's hard running means we get a lot of tackles where they land on their chest and we get a lot of quick play the balls.

Towards the end of last year I was quite looking forward to us rolling out a back row of 11: Mateo 12: Bakuya 13: Mannering and would have liked to have seen Sam Lousi in the mix as well so we get some more size. I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Matulino moving back to the back row even if it is just to start the game; judging by Elliott's comments for the Wigan game where it was due to a lack of second rowers being available it doesn't look like this is being considered long term.

I'm looking forward to this trial; the smaller squad means we should see something more resembling our top line up for a while and then the guys actually pushing for inclusion coming on to impress.

Hopefully we don't need to have cover for our right side defense falling to pieces again this year; if Hurrell is still out of condition we still may need some cover on the bench to start the season.

Regardless which one of Lousi and Matulino play back row, we gain forward pack size.
Imagine playing both of them at 11 and 12 for one game. The Australians keep going on about the size of our forward pack; lets give them a forward pack of midget smashers one week.

I can't really disagree with any of that. The additional top 17 picks you list it is more a case of juggling the pieces especially for props and second rowers.

If there is less wrestling this year and less 3-4 man tackles hopefully Rapira and Matagi's hard running means we get a lot of tackles where they land on their chest and we get a lot of quick play the balls.

Towards the end of last year I was quite looking forward to us rolling out a back row of 11: Mateo 12: Bakuya 13: Mannering and would have liked to have seen Sam Lousi in the mix as well so we get some more size. I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Matulino moving back to the back row even if it is just to start the game; judging by Elliott's comments for the Wigan game where it was due to a lack of second rowers being available it doesn't look like this is being considered long term.

I'm looking forward to this trial; the smaller squad means we should see something more resembling our top line up for a while and then the guys actually pushing for inclusion coming on to impress.

Hopefully we don't need to have cover for our right side defense falling to pieces again this year; if Hurrell is still out of condition we still may need some cover on the bench to start the season.

Imagine playing both of them at 11 and 12 for one game. The Australians keep going on about the size of our forward pack; lets give them a forward pack of midget smashers one week.

Yeah, watching the 13 who run out this weekend and who plays the most minutes in a given position should hint strongly at our final line up for Round 1.

I missed the Elliot comments on Matulino, bit of a pity but with Lousi looking large and destructive I'm feeling a bit better about our second row options. Thinking about it; Lousi is more of a fringe runner out of the two so if we had to select one to be a prop Matulino is honestly the better choice in my opinion. After seeing Lousi at the Nines I was less concerned about the Big Ben swap. I'm certain they will both be in the team, so we have an instant size and impact upgrade.

Add Bukuya > Taylor to this, plus the real possibility of a 4 genuine forward bench including Palavi or Gubb and suddenly we look pretty stocky. Gubb looked strong and aggressive in the Nines, while Palavi impressed me at lock with his dominant tackling and offload ability. I feel either of these dudes would rock it in first grade.

Laumape is still the head-bender for me. I just don't see why he's apparently not being considered for the centre spot... unless Elliot knows Nielsen will be fine for Round One and genuinely just wants to observe Kata and Ropati for future reference... not as potential starters for the first game. So yeah, that would make sense to me since Fish appears to have the wing tied up - and rightfully so (there ya go ShaunJohnson7 ShaunJohnson7 I said something positive).

Either way, we will have a bigger and harder running, more dominant tackling front + second row combination so I am happy-ish!

Last edited:
We're going to have to adjust to Sam Tomkins style of play.

To get the most out of that player.

People were critical of him not taking the Line on in that Nines day two display he was focused on shifting the ball wide early.

As other have pointed out that nearly set up a couple or three Tries.

I have to admit I was scratching my head a little about why he switched to a distributor and seemed to stop running at the line.

I think I've got this one worked out.

If you look at how Wigan play they shift the Ball to the Edge quickly.

Tomkins is a key / the key player in that matrix.

They did it in Hamilton without him so it's Wigans structure.

They went early to the right edge , nothing fancy , just lots of ball movement and players in motion on the edge running block plays.

Where we have to get on board is the next bit. They go away from that edge and exploit the gaps on the opposite side of the field after probing one corner of the park they score in the opposite side.

That is why Tomkins was playing distributor on the left.....he is expecting that when he shifted right Johnson and the Right edge would have the ball to the right wing in a few deft passes.

That's not how we play.

We don't use both sides of the park well.

How do we get there ?

We need a few guys who can move the ball as well as the Wigan spine. We've got Tomkins playing true Fullback next week most likely and that solves a lot of it.

Tomkins is meant to have other people in front of him shifting those early balls to the edges.

Manu is a most important piece of that jigsaw. We could reliably expect that if he had of received those early balls on his edge which were one on one Wing plays that he would A) score B) get to his feet with a pile of tacklers on him and the Ball will shift from someone other than Tomkins at dummy half to Tomkins.

That early ball distribution Wigan favor is going to be a real weapon for us with thirteen men in the team.....a ball playing hooker like TL and a straight passer like Townsend.

While it will be exciting to see Sam run at the line and put people away with those crazy flat passes and cut out balls.....we should learn to use that Wigan tactic of using the width of the park with Wingers in one on one running plays as frequently as Warriors are used to wide running back rowers and centers doing all of that suff ( drawing players and long ball shifts from that ruck to the other side ).

Keep using thirteen men. none of this Wings for Try's every time or Kick returns.

Well the Wigan structures are in for a big test this weekend.

We don't use both sides of the park well.
We have historically been a predominantly left sided team; the last two years the right side has started dominating. It will be interesting to see if we can balance that out more this year; Tomkins chiming into the line to either Hurrell or Fisiiahi on the right or giving Manu space on the left.

It will be interesting to see how the addition of Tomkins affects the team in terms of confidence and how we move the ball.

Well the Wigan structures are in for a big test this weekend.

We have historically been a predominantly left sided team; the last two years the right side has started dominating. It will be interesting to see if we can balance that out more this year; Tomkins chiming into the line to either Hurrell or Fis'iahi on the right or giving Manu space on the left.

It will be interesting to see how the addition of Tomkins affects the team in terms of confidence and how we move the ball.
The world club challenge sees the UK teams go better than NRL fans expect.
Baring in mind the count is 12 - 9 in the UK's favor , a Wigan win would hardly be an upset.
The storm were impressive last year when they dicked the ESL champs.

What i see for Wigan is that the Roosters will be rusty and Wigan never get rusty.

They play in game one the way they play in round 26.

Pretty much agree Tomkins is there to lift us and play the ball to both edges evenly. How long that will take I'm not sure but it is coming.

The world club challenge sees the UK teams go better than NRL fans expect.
Baring in mind the count is 12 - 9 in the UK's favor , a Wigan win would hardly be an upset.
The storm were impressive last year when they dicked the ESL champs.

What i see for Wigan is that the Roosters will be rusty and Wigan never get rusty.

They play in game one the way they play in round 26.

Pretty much agree Tomkins is there to lift us and play the ball to both edges evenly. How long that will take I'm not sure but it is coming.
The last 14 World club challenge games have all been in England, plus the Superleague sides have usually had a round or two of their competition as warm up. I have Sydney by 20 in this one.

Reactions: OMG and Sup42
Anyone know if the broncos went home or are they floating around NZ?
I would be surprised if they are still here and we haven't heard from them.

If so it is a wasted promotional opportunity. Especially after the massive Broncos chant they got at Eden Park....they and the Sharks should keep shaking the Non Warriors and banwagon Warriors League tree.....those two clubs walked away from the Nines with their merchandise sold out and throngs of neutrals happy with their commitment to the comp / the crowd etc.

Some money to be made in playing one of their home games here you would think.

The last 14 World club challenge games have all been in England, plus the Superleague sides have usually had a round or two of their competition as warm up. I have Sydney by 20 in this one.
Yes It will be interesting to see if the hit out in Hamilton will help Wigans prep.

Some teams pump the Warriors like that and turn a season deficit into a serious charge for the finals....maybe our lucky factor will rub off on them too.

i get the feeling with big Sam he is going to have a very injury plagued career

f%$k i hope not, also waiting for the big man to show what he has got but have been waiting for sometime.
Surgeon was very happy with Siones Op and the treatment team thought he would be back as good as ever ( can't reveal how I know that , trust me it's fact )
They mighta just been unlucky....Sione is a quick healer. Sam has every chance.

I would be surprised if they are still here and we haven't heard from them.

If so it is a wasted promotional opportunity. Especially after the massive Broncos chant they got at Eden Park....they and the Sharks should keep shaking the Non Warriors and banwagon Warriors League tree.....those two clubs walked away from the Nines with their merchandise sold out and throngs of neutrals happy with their commitment to the comp / the crowd etc.

Some money to be made in playing one of their home games here you would think.

Yes It will be interesting to see if the hit out in Hamilton will help Wigans prep.

Some teams pump the Warriors like that and turn a season deficit into a serious charge for the finals....maybe our lucky factor will rub off on them too.

Surgeon was very happy with Siones Op and the treatment team thought he would be back as good as ever ( can't reveal how I know that , trust me it's fact )
They mighta just been unlucky....Sione is a quick healer. Sam has every chance.

thats great news, im looking forward to the big man playing !!!!

Glad the game's televised. Wigan game was a bit meh - and missed watching this one last year as I was at the cricket.
Did you see a replay ?
Todd Lowrie was the star of the game.
Probably why the Broncs jumped at the chance to sign him. Interesting thing happens when other teams play well against yours...their forums tend to rate Shaun Johnson as someone who can walk on water....not too far behind is Kevin Locke.....Broncos fans ( well some at least ) can't understand why we swapped the electric Locke for someone else.
If you didn't see the game at all it was a cracker and played at NRL intensity the whole way thru.

Then we bent over for the Eels round one.

Weird club this....we need a couple more teams to hate on like Brissy and the Storm....tis why we need a secound NRL franchise in NZ....the Warriors would beat them up irrespective of how good they are.

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
I tried to link the Video from this sites RSS feed Nines players on deck for trial.....
Well worth checking out for this thread.

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/NRL-TRIAL-Nines-stars-on-deck/90659

Vodafone Warriors captain Simon Mannering (pictured) and NRL Nines stars Shaun Johnson and Sam Tomkins will have their only NRL trial of the season when they face the Brisbane Broncos at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin on Sunday (3.00pm kick-off). Photo: Photosport

Mannering (27), nearing the club’s record for most NRL appearances as captain, has been kept out of action until now following a gruelling 2013 schedule with both the Vodafone Warriors and the Kiwis.

Johnson and Tomkins sat out last week’s Gold Coast and Wigan trials to prepare for the Nines. They excelled in the club’s run to the semi-finals with Johnson capturing the tournament’s MVP award after scoring four five-point bonus tries.

Also included in the 22-man squad named by head coach Matt Elliott are another 11 of the club’s Eden Park Nines players along with 100 games-plus NRL veterans Jerome Ropati, Ben Matulino, Sam Rapira, Jacob Lillyman, Nathan Friend and Feleti Mateo.

As well as Tomkins fellow new signings Jayson Bukuya and Chad Townsend will also line up. Townsend had his first outing for the club in last Wednesday while this will be Bukuya’s first NRL trial for the Vodafone Warriors.

BUY TICKETS FOR VODAFONE WARRIORS v BRONCOS

“We always said we would field our best side available and we’re doing that,” said Elliott.

“There’s plenty of quality in this squad, not least the players we had at the Nines who all did a terrific job representing the club at Eden Park.

“People in the Otago and Southland areas should really make a real effort to get along to this game. It’s a great opportunity to see two exceptional talents in Shaun and Sam not to mention the rest of the players we’ll be bringing with us.

“Shaun’s a known quantity and, while we were well aware we were getting someone special with Sam, the New Zealand public saw for themselves last weekend why we’re so excited to have him at the Vodafone Warriors.”

Elliott said he was tempted to play try-scoring record holder Manu Vatuvei but has opted to continue to prepare him for the opening-round encounter with the Parramatta Eels on March 09.

Apart from Johnson and Tomkins, the other Nines players being used are Bukuya, Suaia Matagi (also named in the team of the tournament at the Nines), exciting standoff-halfback Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Glen Fisiiahi, Konrad Hurrell, Charlie Gubb, Dominique Peyroux, Carlos Tuimavave, Solomone Kata and David Fusitua.

In the historic first match between the two clubs in Dunedin last year the Vodafone Warriors won 16-10 against a strong Broncos line-up.

The squad for the trial is: Jayson Bukuya, Glen Fisiiahi, Nathan Friend, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Jacob Lillyman, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Simon Mannering (captain), Suaia Matagi, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, John Palavi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Sam Tomkins, Chad Townsend, Carlos Tuimavave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sup42

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Anyone know if foxtel is playing this game? Saw "nrl trial at" 1pm on sun on the guide, hoping its this game!

Inruin

Contributor
1. Tomkins
2. Fisiiahi
3. Ropati
4. Hurrell
5. Fusitua
6. Johnson
7. Townsend
8. Rapira
9. Friend
10. Matagi
11. Mateo
12. Bukuya
13. Mannering

14. Matulino
15. Lillyman
16. Gubb
17. Lousi
18. Peroux
19. Tuimavave
20. Palavi
21. Lolohea
22. Kata

Elliott was on the Nrl Summertime pre season program just before nines started on Saturday. Was happy with the new signings and said that Townsend would probably start at 7 for the Broncos trial. Not sure if whether having the 7 or 6 on the back matters anymore. Certainly if we are having our halves playing on different sides of the field. Wondering if Elliott is leaving the general running of the team up to CT. Shaun Johnson not having to worry about feeding scrums, organizing the team and general field kicking would leave him free to scheme with Tomkins and be more able to look for and exploit weaknesses in the opposition. I hope this is the case and it works out like I hope it will.

Reactions: Sup42 and surfin
Elliott was on the Nrl Summertime pre season program just before nines started on Saturday. Was happy with the new signings and said that Townsend would probably start at 7 for the Broncos trial. Not sure if whether having the 7 or 6 on the back matters anymore. Certainly if we are having our halves playing on different sides of the field. Wondering if Elliott is leaving the general running of the team up to CT. Shaun Johnson not having to worry about feeding scrums, organizing the team and general field kicking would leave him free to scheme with Tomkins and be more able to look for and exploit weaknesses in the opposition. I hope this is the case and it works out like I hope it will.

If that's true, Townsend at 7, I'd love to Johnson playing 5/8 if they're playing as more traditional halves with the 7 passing to the 6. I think we've just about all of us been calling for Johnson to play two off the ruck, just to see what he could do with that little more space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.