General Warriors Vs Broncos (Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors v Broncos trial squad: Jayson Bukuya, Glen Fisiiahi, Nathan Friend, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Jacob Lillyman, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Simon Mannering (captain), Suaia Matagi, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, John Palavi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Sam Tomkins, Chad Townsend, Carlos Tuimavave.

Just up on the Warriors website, noteable ommissions:

Dane Nielsen
Ngani Laumape
Albert Vete
Sebastine Ikahihifo
Steve Waetford
Siliva Havilli

Probable Injury ommissions:

Kevin Locke
Thomas Leuleuai
Ben Henry
Sam Lousi
Manu Vatuvei

Last edited:
Nielsen (just realised I've been spelling that wrong the whole time) must be injured??? I imagine it would be the same with Ngani too? Manu we know is still recovering. Surprised Vete isn't there.

So, from that squad:

Jayson Bukuya, Glen Fisiiahi, Nathan Friend, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell , Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Jacob Lillyman, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Simon Mannering (captain), Suaia Matagi, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, John Palavi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Sam Tomkins, Chad Townsend, Carlos Tuimavave.

1. Tomkins
2. Fisiiahi
3. Ropati / Kata
4. Hurrell
5. Fusitua
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Rapira
9. Friend
10. Matagi
11. Matulino
12. Bukuya
13. Mannering

14. Mateo
15. Lillyman
16. Gubb
17. Lousi
18. Peroux
19. Tuimavave
20. Palavi
21. Lolohea

Last edited:
kevin locke, mateo and neilsen were all sitting in front of me at the 9s in the upper west stand during the semi. They all looked pretty fit and healthy, but who knows what is happening with their fitness.

Main thing is our two Marquee players are fit to play.

The rest will be pretty dam handy as well.

Points of interest for me.

Tomkins and Chownsend fitting into the defensive work....settling in....every new player takes a few games . Lowrie was getting slighted on here for missing tackles in the first quarter of the season , Nielson had a few issues....then those boys settled.

Ben Matulino being used in the Secound Row.....if that happens we're going to knock some people around....the Nines forwards drove a few players back....without Taylor and Benry plus Peroux types we could smack some heads this year.

Lousi was fine in the Nines , people have to remember too that he is a relative noob to NRL footy and fatigue will be a big factor....he soaked up a lot of hits on day one...ran a lot = not so effective day two.

Kata and Lolohea are sitting in the cab rank where Hurrell and Low mappy sat last year.

Not to be rushed into Fg ideally......a few games throughout the year would suffice.

There are a lot of ours hanging on the edge of having a break out Fg season.

The Depth and competition for spots Elliot was after. The only odd name on that list is Jerome Ropati. He's a bit like including Fittler in your nines squad.

Main thing is our two Marquee players are fit to play.

The rest will be pretty dam handy as well.

Points of interest for me.

Tomkins and Chownsend fitting into the defensive work....settling in....every new player takes a few games . Lowrie was getting slighted on here for missing tackles in the first quarter of the season , Nielson had a few issues....then those boys settled.

Ben Matulino being used in the Secound Row.....if that happens we're going to knock some people around....the Nines forwards drove a few players back....without Taylor and Benry plus Peroux types we could smack some heads this year.

Lousi was fine in the Nines , people have to remember too that he is a relative noob to NRL footy and fatigue will be a big factor....he soaked up a lot of hits on day one...ran a lot = not so effective day two.

Kata and Lolohea are sitting in the cab rank where Hurrell and Low mappy sat last year.

Not to be rushed into Fg ideally......a few games throughout the year would suffice.

There are a lot of ours hanging on the edge of having a break out Fg season.

The Depth and competition for spots Elliot was after. The only odd name on that list is Jerome Ropati. He's a bit like including Fittler in your nines squad.

Haha I was going to say something similar... what do they want to see from Ropati that they dont already know? Was pretty funny in that Wigan game when someone broke the line and offloaded to him, he got caught so fast from behind, looked like one of those videos on youtube where people jump onto a moving treadmill. Expect to see him start on the wing for an injured Vatuvei round one. ;)

Couple of things.

I am gutted for Laumape. I honestly believe he bolongs there ahead of Konrad, unless he is injured or Konrad is being allowed one shot to take it back.

And I am gutted for us. I remember this time last year, I was gobsmacked that the name Jerome Ropati was listed in the squad list. I really thought it was a piss-take when I saw it last year, and I still do. I am going to have to bring out my "Slopati" chant again this year it would seem.

I have just realised that this is my third game in 12 months and in all 3 games I have had to watch JRo. Dunedin, Gold Coast, Dunedin. Who the F@#$ is doing this to me!!!

Couple of things.

I am gutted for Laumape. I honestly believe he bolongs there ahead of Konrad, unless he is injured or Konrad is being allowed one shot to take it back.

And I am gutted for us. I remember this time last year, I was gobsmacked that the name Jerome Ropati was listed in the squad list. I really thought it was a piss-take when I saw it last year, and I still do. I am going to have to bring out my "Slopati" chant again this year it would seem.

I have just realised that this is my third game in 12 months and in all 3 games I have had to watch JRo. Dunedin, Gold Coast, Dunedin. Who the F@#$ is doing this to me!!!
Ambo
Sterious
God

In that order.

Ah Well Nig lets hope Slopati tackles really well , runs straight and hardish , makes few mistakes. that would be enough.

Ropo might be there to rest Tomkins if we get a good lead on early that would make sense.

He's a bit like including Fittler in your nines squad.
Judging by the effect of the knee injuries and the way he was run down in the Wigan game and Fittlers intercept. I'd probably take Fittler in a foot race at the moment.

A bit sad to say considering Ropati's career is still going and the positions he would most likely play.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
Ambo
Sterious
God

In that order.

Ah Well Nig lets hope Slopati tackles really well , runs straight and hardish , makes few mistakes. that would be enough.

Ropo might be there to rest Tomkins if we get a good lead on early that would make sense.
Nope, Tomkins will be injury cover for JRo at fullback this season. Sam will have to bide his time in NSW Cup until Ropo is ready to give up his spot.

I can see it already. This will be the year of the Sam V Jerome debate.

Looking forward to this weekend; enjoyed the Dunedin trial last year. Hell even thinking of saving $25 and skipping the UFC this weekend. My wife hates the NRL season cause I hardly want to leave Auckland or get fidgety when we go out wanting to be back by a certain time. At least now I can point to the savings by not buying ppv's:)

We are supposed to be seeing close to our top line up this weekend. Our spine is pretty much set due to a who's left standing our of the most experienced guys. I'm looking forward to see how the spine of Tomkins, Townsend, Johnson and Friend direct us around the field. How does adding Townsend affect our last tackle options?

I'd like to see a dummy half option on the bench for round 1. Friend is getting on and I know he is extremely fit but I don't want him flogged with TL out. If he gets injured and looking at his last few years he will at some point we need someone ready if our two best options are out or if we are lucky TL will be back by then.

Will we see Matulino out wider again? If it is not something Elliott is thinking of hopefully he gives it another go so he can squeeze in Gubb and Lousi to give them a chance to impress.

Reactions: Sup42
Nope, Tomkins will be injury cover for JRo at fullback this season. Sam will have to bide his time in NSW Cup until Ropo is ready to give up his spot.

I can see it already. This will be the year of the Sam V Jerome debate.
I realise you are being cynical in a humorous sense....but Fullback number two plays Wing

Tomkins played wing in the Nines

1. Ropati
2. Tomkins
3.Fish
4. Hurrell

and so forth.

The new Elijah Taylor coach gets clever shuffle

Somebody asked above and yes, Dane is carrying a leg injury.
Henry out with knee soreness.
Vatuvei carrying a thigh niggle.

I expect all the above to be ready for round one, though after Henry's long absence perhaps he should start in the Nsw cup warriors.

Leuluai and Locke still tba as far as their returns from injury go - unlikely for the early rounds at least.

https://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11204996

Last edited:
Reactions: Spence and gREVUS
Warriors v Broncos trial squad:
Jayson Bukuya, Glen Fisiiahi, Nathan Friend, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Jacob Lillyman, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Simon Mannering (captain), Suaia Matagi, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, John Palavi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Sam Tomkins, Chad Townsend, Carlos Tuimavave.

Just up on the Warriors website, noteable omissions:

Dane Nielsen
Ngani Laumape
Albert Vete
Sebastine Ikahihifo
Steve Waetford
Siliva Havilli

Probable Injury omissions:

Kevin Locke
Thomas Leuleuai
Ben Henry
Sam Lousi
Manu Vatuvei

Taking into account our injuries and Elliot's comment:
"It's a selection trial for a large number of our squad..."

Definite positional picks for Round One:

1 - Sam Tomkins 2 - Glen Fisiiahi 3 - Konrad Hurrell 4 - TBA 5 - Manu Vatuvei
6 - Chad Townsend 7 - Shaun Johnson
8 - Sam Rapira 9 - Nathan Friend 10 - Suaia Matagi
11 - TBA 12 - TBA 13 - TBA
Bench TBA

Definite additional top 17 picks:

Simon Mannering, Feleti Mateo, Ben Matulino, Sione Lousi, Jayson Bukuya, Jacob Lillyman

From that lot, I expect:

11 - Simon Mannering / Jayson Bukuya 12 - Ben Matulino 13 - Jayson Bukuya / Simon Mannering
14 - Feleti Mateo (second row) 15 - Sione Lousi (front / second row) 16 - Jacob Lillyman (front row)

Trialling for a realistic spot:

Jerome Ropati, Dominique Peyroux and Solomone Kata in competition for the 4 jersey if Nielsen is not ready for Round 1. Laumape clearly seen as a winger or he'd be playing this trial. Peyroux shouldn't make our top 17 but Elliot may consider him a possible stop-gap in the centres; I hope not.

John Palavi and Charlie Gubb battling for the final bench spot. They were great in the Wigan and Nines games, respectively. This may have some bearing on what position Matulino ends up playing.

Trialling for a long odds bench spot:

David Fusitua, Tuimoala Lolohea, Carlos Tuimavave. I don't see Elliot leaving out a valuable forward for a young (unpredictable) x-factor bench player when we already have the Sam and Shaun show. Lolohea may demand selection, but I'm not expecting it.
  • Bukuya or Palavi will start at 13 I reckon. I think Palavi is more likely to play than Gubb.
  • Hopefully Nielsen is fine for Round One.
  • Sebastine still too fruity, Havili not quite ready or necessary.
  • I'm thinking Laumape is very unlucky, or carrying a knock.
  • Henry I expect to come into the team after a few rounds. He isn't a star we need to rush back, as we have a lot of quality second rowers.
  • I think Vatuvei is the only injured player who will be ready for Round One, plus Nielsen maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.