Gameday < 2021 Warriors Trial Games 2018

All games pre 2021

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Do you value your life?
LOL for sure but you never feel more alive than when you're about to die.

If I did go I would contact the club and basically piggy back off them. Same fights, hotel etc. Security will be red alert levels with an NRL team in town. I don't think it will too bad but will need to be smart.

Just a thought anyway and truth is I'll probably too broke recovering from the silly season to be able to afford it...

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
If I did go I would contact the club and basically piggy back off them. Same fights, hotel etc.
After reading what goes on there you still seem. Same fights as the players, you keen to get stuck into the locals as well.o_O I'd hope the players would only get stuck into them on the field.;)

Hopefully with how keen they are on league they would beef up the security like you mentioned. Mind you reading some of the previous post the security doesn't seem too hot.

If they want more sides to go there they will need to make sure there are no incidents.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Honestly anyone thinking of going you should be fine, just stay smart. Don't wear watches or carry cameras or anything that draws attention. You are generally fine walking during the day but I still wouldn't recommend it if you don't know the area They have shopping malls etc like any city in the world, Vision City or The Waterfront next to the yacht club, but there will probably be nothing there you couldn't buy cheaper here, there are enough restaurants and clubs etc to get meals. Probably the only things there you could buy that are different are bilums (a string bag), or local carvings etc and who doesn't need a koteka? Seen below.

upload_2017-12-10_16-5-19.jpeg
upload_2017-12-10_16-3-27.jpeg

Just remember no matter how they spin it this is basically a third world country that has some luxuries for the well paid expat population and although many are friendly there are plenty of people that will grab what they can if the opportunity presents itself and causing injury doing that isn't a problem. Extreme poverty, and a psyche of violence insures that.
PNG's biggest problem for promoting tourism is Port Moresby, and the two best examples I have of that is when my mate asked a flight attendant what Moresby was like when he landed the first time her answer was, I don't know, the airlines insurance doesn't cover us if we get off the plane and my experience, waiting for my bag the first time talking to a Kiwi guy next to me when he asked me how long I'd been working there, when I said first trip, his "good luck. I hope you enjoy it" between his uncontrolled laughter kind of hinted of what was to come.

The Graham Osbourne that PNG Kiwi mentions owns the Ela Beach Hotel which would be a perfect place to stay, has a good restaurant, great pizzas etc and was managed by an ex Waikato rugby player when I was there but I'm buggared if I can remember his name. Osbourne did own a few other restaurants and catering contracts around the place.

Last edited:

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
LOL for sure but you never feel more alive than when you're about to die.

If I did go I would contact the club and basically piggy back off them. Same fights, hotel etc. Security will be red alert levels with an NRL team in town. I don't think it will too bad but will need to be smart.

Just a thought anyway and truth is I'll probably too broke recovering from the silly season to be able to afford it...

Try and stay out of the fights, they will have a bigger bush knife than you.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Does anyone remember a documentary that followed the kiwis tour of png in the late 80s I think it was?
I used to have it on VHS and watched it over and over- there was Brent Todd, freeman, Daryl Williams etc.
Always wanted to go to png since then.
I've heard it's pretty wild. If they're rating rio as worse that doesn't sound too bad tho?
All the advice PNG Kiwi and surfin surfin have given seems pretty sound.
There's some cheap airfares there too- hmmm how can I spin this to the misses...

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Yeah nah, we dont need a forum topic trying to work out which of you guys were involved in the warriors fans version of this.
https://news.vice.com/article/three...sex-acts-on-each-other-at-canadian-owned-mine
Its bad enough our team does this to us without us having to do it to each other.

My old man used to go there as a merchant seaman and he reckons you get back to the ship before dark or you are fair game.

Reactions: Worried2Death

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Does anyone remember a documentary that followed the kiwis tour of png in the late 80s I think it was?
I used to have it on VHS and watched it over and over- there was Brent Todd, freeman, Daryl Williams etc.
Always wanted to go to png since then.
I've heard it's pretty wild. If they're rating rio as worse that doesn't sound too bad tho?
All the advice PNG Kiwi and surfin surfin have given seems pretty sound.
There's some cheap airfares there too- hmmm how can I spin this to the misses...
Was it in PNG that the Kiwis for the first only time not perform the haka for fear of inciting the natives???

• Haha
Reactions: OMG and Johnnyray

WarriorBall

I remember some lads I worked with telling me when they were blasting at OK Tedi (a Gold/Copper mine) in PNG hundreds of natives would gather just outside the exclusion zone on the day of the blast, straight after they fired the shot they’d storm the blast site hunting for whatever they could find in the few minutes they had before security got there and began letting rounds off as they scarpered back into the jungle.

It’s the Wild West up there and none of our guys went anywhere outside the mine without security from what I hear but things are a lot more civilised in Port Moresby.

I reckon that trial game would be the experience of a lifetime.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Was it in PNG that the Kiwis for the first only time not perform the haka for fear of inciting the natives???

Haha I'm not sure bro- sounds about right tho- they're crazy farkers.
Mind u- watching their home games at the World Cup it didn't look as loose as it was back in the day.
When we lost to them in the 80s the ref later said something along the lines of- he realized his only chance of getting out alive was if png won.

Reactions: Sup42 and Johnnyray

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014

I think it was. LOL !

Didn't they also have this thing if the opposition team was ahead at half time they would all throw snakes, spiders and scorpions in the opposition dressing room for revenge ? Didn't they do that twice to Kiwis and once to Kangaroos ? I could be wrong about this but cool isn't there some famous story of when Great Britain toured PNG in late 1970s, the locals tried to get a goat drunk once and smuggled it inside their hotel room, but instead of attacking them it just sat in hallway and shit everywhere ? I'm sure I saw it in Rugby League Week once ...

:bag:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
That 80's New Zealand side that lost to the Kumuls was set up.

There was no crowd control.

Spears were literally thrown onto the ground.

Those were the days tho....the Kiwis bounced back straight away by taking on Queensland in the very next game.

Kevin Iro....the true beast was a teenager on debut that no one had ever heard of.

Iro shredded Queensland apart which of course was his trademark.

That team defeated the Kangaroos in their very next game...which just goes to to show how out of the ordinary the loss to PNG was for that place and time.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings