General Warriors Travel Thread

Do the Warriors have an unfair travel schedule?

• Absolutely!

• Yeah but they play in an Aussie comp

• Its fair

• Harden up!

Results are only viewable after voting.

up the guts

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 20, 2016
I no longer buy this excuse Because that’s all it is. You either suck it up or change it (which you can’t), anything else is madness. It is what it is, so deal with it.

I look at the positives that can be created. Sure, it’s maybe half a day of training gone, but it’s half a day of team bonding which is essential to any teams success. The flight home is recovery time anyway, so take the necessary steps prior to the plane trip, and include recovery modalities on the flight so recovery is achieved just as it would have been in Auckland.

Leave a day earlier, leave two days earlier, spend a day longer post match, who knows. Work out what works best for the group, and stick to it.

You either change it (which you can’t) or you get used to it and identify positives. Anything else and it’s just another excuse why this team can’t get success, of which I no longer buy into.
Bruisers dont heal at 40 000 meters above sea level .. in fact they intensify

Reactions: Defence and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Bruisers dont heal at 40 000 meters above sea level .. in fact they intensify
True, but they spend most of their travel time on buses and at the airport and they try very hard to get them away from the ground and onto the plane after the game.

Reactions: warriorsfan92

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Back at the 2015 members forum Matt Elliott touched on the travel issue. His biggest gripe as he stated in the OP article was having to clear customs. Warriors 7 hours to get from assembling at Auckland airport to getting to their Sydney hotel. The Cowboys who traveled the furthest in Australia would do the same thing in 3 hours.

Truth is them the breaks. You wanna play in an Australian competition then you just have to harden up and get on with the job. Sure as hell hasn't stopped the Breakers from being extremely successful in their respective Australian comp.

The only gripe I do have is why we have to be the club that travels all the way to Perth every damn year. Not only is the distance a bitch the timezone is 3 hours behind NZ. The 2014 game we played there the game finished at 1am NZST! That's just ridiculous...

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
It drives me nuts when he brings this up. Yes the non Sydney sides have advantages with potentially a bigger junior pool, sponsorship can be debated when you look at how well the Sydney clubs do with TPA's. The Sydney sides do well in recruitment as it isn't that big a deal to change clubs as you can potentially change without moving house, wife or girl friend moving jobs, will your new girl friend move with you?, kids changing schools etc.

I can't recall his conference split but a 16 team competition would ideally be split into two conferences of 8.

Sydney sides.
  1. Bulldogs
  2. Roosters
  3. Sea Eagles
  4. Souths
  5. Eels
  6. Tigers
  7. Sharks
We know have 7 sides so are the Dragons or Panthers going in the Sydney conference or the regional one? When they won the premiership in 1991 it was talked about as the trophy leaving Sydney.

I'd love for the NRL to draft this out and put the Panthers in the regional conference. I bet he'd want to go back to the current situation pretty quickly.

There’s no way Penrith is regional yes it’s in the outer suburbs but it’s “attached”.
As with Dragons well Kogarah is Sydney even Woollongong is barely out of Sydney in fact it’s a shorter drive than manly to Penrith and barely more than Cronulla to manly

Reactions: snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
There’s no way Penrith is regional yes it’s in the outer suburbs but it’s “attached”.
As with Dragons well Kogarah is Sydney even Woollongong is barely out of Sydney in fact it’s a shorter drive than manly to Penrith and barely more than Cronulla to manly
I've seen both sides occasionally listed as out of Sydney but that typically as a Sydney side. Typically the competition is described as having 9 Sydney sides. The main point I don't think Gould has thought his plan too well as even that would be a conference of 9 and another of 7.

The article laying out the amount of travel in actual distance figures is the first time I have seen it listed like that. It would be good if the idea Neil Henry was pushing when he was pushing at the Cowboys around better travel arrangements for the sides doing travel of a certain distance. Sure it would work the other way for the opposition.

The clearing customs would be the main down side along with extra check in times.

Reactions: matiunz

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Don't teams use ice baths after training and games nowadays?
I think the Warriors are determined to catch the first flight available after the game so they get straight into the showers, changed and onto the team bus for the airport.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
The Sydney teams should play more away games each season.

Would even up the travel distances a bit and also boost attendance across the competition.

Reactions: bruce

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
It’s crazy that a team like the Roosters hadn’t left Sydney before the round 9 game in NZ, while in that time the Warriors have played in Perth, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and coming up have away games against all 3 QLD teams and a Denver, USA, test match to boot.

Even competition my arse.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
It’s crazy that a team like the Roosters hadn’t left Sydney before the round 9 game in NZ, while in that time the Warriors have played in Perth, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and coming up have away games against all 3 QLD teams and a Denver, USA, test match to boot.

Even competition my arse.
Sydney teams should only call them away games if the players don't sleep in their own beds after the game.

If you go straight home it's a home game.

Reactions: Worried2Death

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Saw this thread and thought it was about the clubs holidays.

Neil Henry when he was at the Cowboys was pushing the point the Cowboys and Warriors should get business class travel to help combat the extra miles they travel. The same would apply with clubs travelling to Auckland or Townsville.

The NRL clubs are quick to shoot down any point that may give another club an advantage. I then think back to the Panthers wanting to move games to Christchurch, that was ditched after one season as it was too much travel.

The unfair advantage to certain clubs also gets brought up with salary cap dispensation for clubs that struggle to recruit due to location. To me allowing the clubs that travel more upgraded travel arrangements (business class) would be worth doing as these are professional athletes we are talking about. A few of them are a lot bigger than the average person.

Throw in Koru lounge as well to give them access to better food and skip some of the queues. But if they start losing I'll take it off.

Reactions: matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Does LeBron fly cattle class?

I rest my case

Does a player with a net worth est at $400m playing for a $1b+ club with a squad half the size of an NRL team fly cattle class?- unlikely...

Can a club with a couple of $1m players and some on less than $100k playing for a club worth approx $15m that just makes a profit in a comp where most don’t afford to substantially increase their travel costs?

I rest my case

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings