General Warriors Sponsorship Thread

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
DB Bitter was never one of the biggest selling brands in NZ, at it's best it was number three selling brand in Auckland (behind LR and XG), and probably 6/7th in NZ. The point of the sponsorship was to give the brand visibility outside of Auckland - where it generally sold less than Double Brown (now there's a brew lol), and combat Lion Red's huge market share.

The Warriors provided an opportunity that DB couldn't afford not to take; as there were no realistic alternatives - hence they paid overs.

So in essence, you could say DB Bitter was the Blake Green of NZ beers; though probably less successful :p
Mount Wellington took this off topic so here goes.

One of the top 7 brands in the country will do me as a top selling beer.

I know the club I was at used to sell it by the bucket load. The local sports organisation got sponsored by NZ Breweries and told all the clubs to start selling Lion Red...or else. The local chairman told our bar manager to start pushing Lion Red and got told to fuck off as he stocked what the drinkers wanted.

So they then started working around the club members each week smooth talking them. Within a season hardly an DB Bitter was being sold, end of story.

NZ had the worst beer in the western world IMO. Heyzeuss knows what the English immigrants thought when they got here. No wonder they started moaning. To me an English free house is heaven on earth. Thankfully pioneers like Terry McCashin started brewing with skill and pride.

The two big breweries had the market sown up and even used to deliver the swill in tankers FFS.

One point of difference between Lion and DB way back was that DB which was started by the German family of Joseph Khutze (name changed to Coutts after WWI) had a different method of brewing compared to Lion. Didn't make any difference to me.

The English might have the worst food in the world but they have the best bitter beer. Rant over.

Reaction score

Kfisher6

Waterboy
Reaction score
Mount Wellington took this off topic so here goes.

The two big breweries had the market sown up and even used to deliver the swill in tankers FFS.

One point of difference between Lion and DB way back was that DB which was started by the German family of Joseph Khutze (name changed to Coutts after WWI) had a different method of brewing compared to Lion. Didn't make any difference to me.

The English might have the worst food in the world but they have the best bitter beer. Rant over.
Solid rant - and yes; NZ beer was shite. I worked for both of the big breweries... I reckon Billy Coutts got sick of spelling Kuhtze to your average Kiwi; but that was a bit before my time lol - from memory the difference in brewing was from Morton Coutts (son of) pioneered continuous brewing... which was just shite via different chemistry.

Imported beers were relatively expensive, and the distribution and retail channels (on and off premise) were controlled almost exclusively by Lion/DB. The choice you got as a consumer was often dictated by where you lived.

Anyway, blergh... I'm off to find some fish and chips and a cold lager (neither Export Gold nor Steinlager lol).

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I reckon Billy Coutts got sick of spelling Kuhtze to your average Kiwi;
It was more the anti German thing from WWI, even the royal family changed their name from Battenburg to Mountbatten. Also Lion Breweries was originally started by a German Jew Louis Ehrenfried. Germans know a bit about brewing beer. It was Ehrenfried's nephew Arthur Myers who took over the firm and was still in the family until his grandson Doug sold out to the Japanese in the 1990s.
Imported beers were relatively expensive, and the distribution and retail channels (on and off premise) were controlled almost exclusively by Lion/DB. The choice you got as a consumer was often dictated by where you lived.
True.

It was an entirely different market. Local product was heavily protected and the six o'clock closing meant that drinking beer was a glorified swill before closing time, nobody had the time to taste it properly. Then if you were still thirsty you bought a flagon to take home and drank it flat.
Also because of that the hotel chains controlled the market, and like you say it wasn't so much what you liked it was where you drank.

Unfortunately with the changes in the marketplace it led to a situation where the management of a desperate brewery became the senior management for a fledgling and vulnerable league club. Very sad.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
man im glad i used to drink Heineken back in the day. I was lucky to get it from a friend at deep freeze operations in CHCH, where the Yanks imported it and supplied it to their men. Price was awesome as well. I remember it as a dollar a can, when we had to pay for it. However i have drunk all the others and i can honestly attest that they are all crap. But Steinlager was the crappiest.

Oh and it may be ageing tastebuds but locally brewed Heiny isnt a patch on the imported stuff.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Have to disagree with the Lion Red quote Bruce! Yes DB was always rubbish, but whenever I get back to Auckland that Lion Red ON TAP (draught) still tops/ or is as good as any beer I have had in Aussie or around the world... Mothers Milk my friend!

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah. I remember DB only become prominent during its Warriors association. Other than that it was an also-ran. Steinlager had it's time during its All Black phase. But has always been up there even overseas, particularly UK. Lion was always top 3. Their 'red-blooded mate' campaign was particularly successful during the late 80s/90s. Then the advertising police kinda evened things up for everyone. As well as social conscience.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
man im glad i used to drink Heineken back in the day. I was lucky to get it from a friend at deep freeze operations in CHCH, where the Yanks imported it and supplied it to their men. Price was awesome as well. I remember it as a dollar a can, when we had to pay for it. However i have drunk all the others and i can honestly attest that they are all crap. But Steinlager was the crappiest.

Oh and it may be ageing tastebuds but locally brewed Heiny isnt a patch on the imported stuff.
None of the licensed stuff is the same, who is going to give away the proper recipe?

Back in the day when all imported beer was really expensive I had access to whatever was going, contacts in the trade like;). A really nice lager was Carlsberg, absolutely beautiful drop. You can buy it now in the bargain bins, brewed in South Auckland, absolute shite.

Steinlager was originally to be called Steinecken but Heinecken took them to task over it. The DB version was DB Export, quite a drinkable drop, the Coutts were quite proud of that lager. When Heinecken bought them it went out the door fast.

Strange thing, guy at the bottle shop told me last week the favourite lager these days is Corona from Mexico, sells by the bucket load. The drinkers put slices of lime in the glass FFS:eek:.

I guess the key thing is Corona didn't have to sponsor any rugby or league team.

Reaction score
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Strange thing, guy at the bottle shop told me last week the favourite lager these days is Corona from Mexico, sells by the bucket load. The drinkers put slices of lime in the glass FFS:eek:.

I guess the key thing is Corona didn't have to sponsor any rugby or league team.

Fun fact :

The reason why they started to put a slice of lemon or lime in bottles of Corona was to keep the flies out of your beer.

;)

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there were prototype jerseys or advertising material made with alternative sponsors over the years?

Would love to have seen a 1995 jersey with Mobil1 or Lion Red on the front.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
A nation of gastronomes nowadays Bruce. Terrestrial TV schedules are clogged with cooking and baking programmes now that sport has gone to satellite and cable

Reaction score

Kfisher6

Waterboy
Reaction score
All this talk is making me nostalgic... I remember when I was inducted into mainstream brewery B (a few years after working several years with mainstream brewery A and having an "allergy" to brewery B's beers) we had a tasting at the end and had to pick what two very different beers were; one was darker, bland, manky, and ponged a bit - I picked what it was... the other was to this day THE best beer I've ever had... smooth, fresh, flavoursome, clear, absolutely bluddy beautiful.

Turns out they were the same (mass produced mainstream) beer but one was brand spanking fresh, packaged the day before, and the other was a month old. I knew that beer didn't age well (the lighter the beer the quicker it ages), but I never appreciated the difference - it was absolutely massive.

Never buy old beer (unless it's really, really, really, cheap).

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
All this talk is making me nostalgic... I remember when I was inducted into mainstream brewery B (a few years after working several years with mainstream brewery A and having an "allergy" to brewery B's beers) we had a tasting at the end and had to pick what two very different beers were; one was darker, bland, manky, and ponged a bit - I picked what it was... the other was to this day THE best beer I've ever had... smooth, fresh, flavoursome, clear, absolutely bluddy beautiful.

Turns out they were the same (mass produced mainstream) beer but one was brand spanking fresh, packaged the day before, and the other was a month old. I knew that beer didn't age well (the lighter the beer the quicker it ages), but I never appreciated the difference - it was absolutely massive.

Never buy old beer (unless it's really, really, really, cheap).
How often and well the lines are cleaned makes a difference as well.
A nation of gastronomes nowadays Bruce.
My French friends disagree, take a compliment when it is due brother;):D, IMO there is no such thing as a bad British Bitter, just that some are better than others, a bit like single malt Scotch, which the French claim their finest cognac is almost as good as:rolleyes:.

You wouldn't believe the drinking culture in NZ before 1970. Crap beer delivered in tankers the size of petrol tankers to booze barns the size of concert halls, with car parks to match. The pubs closed at 6pm turning everybody out onto the street rolling from drinking like there was no tomorrow, then they changed the law to 10 pm closing so the swill went on from 6 to 10 pm and everybody got into their cars pissed and drove home. Bloody true, no wonder the English immigrants used to complain.

I will never forget my first experience in an English free house. I couldn't believe the class, and the choice of beers.

Having said that some of the craft beers coming out of the boutique breweries, especially in the South Island are very good as well. The trouble is they are very expensive when you can buy a can of something like Old Speckled Hen from around $5 in a supermarket.

Times have changed, but people still drink Lion Red and DB apparently.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there were prototype jerseys or advertising material made with alternative sponsors over the years?

Would love to have seen a 1995 jersey with Mobil1 or Lion Red on the front.
Mobil sponsored a nationwide tour of the clubs reserve grade in 1994. Never seen Lion Red as a major sponsor apart from the Auckland City Vulcans who played in the 1994 Lion Red Cup and were basically the Warriors reserve grade. Even then the main sponsor was Cardinal Networks if I remember it correctly with two Lion Red badges on the front of either shoulder. Only other exception I can think of apart from DB Bitter and Vodafone is Coca-Cola sponsoring the Colts team of 1997-1998...

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
i thought Vodafone might rethnk sponsorship of warriors now they are sponsoring the ABs, they have been pretty loyal thus far though ya gotta admit.
I still drink DB bitter when I can get it, it' tastes crapbut worth it cause it pisses off my mates - LOYAL TO THE BITTER END

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
i thought Vodafone might rethnk sponsorship of warriors now they are sponsoring the ABs, they have been pretty loyal thus far though ya gotta admit.
I still drink DB bitter when I can get it, it' tastes crapbut worth it cause it pisses off my mates - LOYAL TO THE BITTER END
Vodafone will never give up sponsoring the Warriors as long as Telstra sponsor the NRL. Vodafone will never be allowed to sponsor an Aussie club!

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Just to try get us all back on topic CCC have re-signed as the Warriors official supplier for another 4 years...
Not surprising with the amount of jerseys they are selling. A no brainer from their point of view to keep the association going. Hopefully the results turn around to ensure all of the other sponsors stay on board or new companies want to come on board.

To go back to the off topic debate on our old beer sponsors. One new years when I was to young to buy my own all I could get was some DB Bitter off my old man (cheeky bugger said all I deserved was his cheap stuff:oops:). I had it in the back of my mates car for about 3-4 days in the middle of summer. Then my friends took up most of the space in the fridge so I predominantly drank warm beer. It was bloody terrible and I also got it a right state. To this day I haven't touched DB Bitter:yuck: and there is no way I'll touch anything that hasn't been cooling off in the fridge for hours.

Reaction score
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just to try get us all back on topic CCC have re-signed as the Warriors official supplier for another 4 years...
Awesome news. :)

One thing I want to ask you is it officially for four years ? I'm only asking because recently I've read online that starting in 2020, NRL will be looking to streamline all their team jerseys to just one sporting company as way for them further strengthen their profit margins and increase their future earnings, similar to business model they have in the NFL where currently Nike supplies all 32 teams with gear and equipment. If it is official then it must mean what I read recently online is wrong ...

:(

Last edited:
Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome news. :)

One thing I want to ask you is it officially for four years ? I'm only asking because recently I've read online that starting in 2020, NRL will be looking to streamline all their team jerseys to just one sporting company as way for them further strengthen their profit margins and increase their future earnings, similar to business model they have in NFL where currently Reebox supplies all 32 teams with gear and equipment. If it is official then it must mean what I read recently online is wrong ...

:(
I had heard something similar about an NRL having a competition wide jersey sponsor like NHL with Addidas, NBA Nike etc.
Looks like that’s out the window with ccc deal

Top Bottom