General Warriors sign another Bronco

• Thread starter warriors_ballboy_CEO_old
  • Start date

Skinny_Ravs82

Well wow..all I can say. thought we wouldn't hear it for another day or two...awesome as.

Skinny_Ravs82

Actually is this official yet? Coz none of the other sites I visited even has this article listed

Kid-Dynamite_old

Actually is this official yet? Coz none of the other sites I visited even has this article listed

Yea it's official, there's articles all over the web now!

I'm just not sure about this signing!
The fact of the matter is Joel Moon is still young and if he is going to play in the halves then I would of rather we developed our own youngster.
i.e Isaac John, Daniel O'Regan or even Kevin Locke!

He might turn out to be an excellent player, and I really hope so for the clubs sake, but why are we signing young players from other clubs when we have very capable ones at our own!?!?
Are we just signing for the sake of it, can someone tell me the reason why we have signed Moon and what more he has to offer than our youngsters we already have?

HE can cover the halves and centres so he's another player who will add depth to our squad and create competition for spots which is good!

So that's Shortland and Crockett replaced for Kemp and Moon!
When you look at it that way it's a couple of good signings I guess! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Warrioraholic_old

Bring on 09, I think we will be a disiplined well oiled machine nxt season. Cant wait. And people were saying nobody of any class will come to NZ, but we now have some big name signings at the club

Fazz_old

Sorry to burst your bubble but neither Kemp nor Moon are "big" names really.
Now I believe in positivity and all but considering the quality of our juniors these last 3 signings have been pretty dumb (unless Moon ends up playing (well) in th halves) since we have Backrowers (Fai, Big Ben, Luck, Mannering, Feka) Wingers (Manu, Kirk, Solomona, Tupou, Matthews) and Centres (J Ro, Tate, Bristow, Leger, plus more) That being said if these guys are on fairly low salaries then they're good depth signings and the relatively small amount of NRL experience they have will come in handy. So to will that Broncos winning attitude culture.

attila_the_gorilla

https://www.stuff.co.nz/4592536a10713.html

Moon rises as sun sets on top Warriors picks
By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 22 June 2008

Bronco Joel Moon – the player earmarked to solve the Warriors playmaking woes – is the club’s fourth choice halfback-in-waiting.

Sunday News can reveal three other potential replacements for halfback flop Grant Rovelli turned the club down flat.

Cronulla star Brett Kimmorley, rising Newcastle talent Luke Walsh and former Bronco Casey McGuire – now shining in the Super League with French outfit Catalans Dragons – all passed on the opportunity to play in Auckland.

McGuire, a former team-mate of Warriors star Brent Tate at Brisbane – got as far as talking numbers with club management before opting to re-sign with the Dragons for two more years.

"I seriously thought about signing with the Warriors and moving to New Zealand," he told Sunday News.

"It took me quite a while to decide what to do but I sat down with my family and made the decision to stay in France.

"I think the idea was to sign me to play in the halves. I’m not sure whether I was going to be halfback or standoff."

Kimmorley, meanwhile, who has now signed a deal with the Bulldogs, knocked the Warriors back because he wanted to stay in Australia, as did Walsh.

News the three players snubbed the Warriors when they came knocking does not surprise Sunday News' league analyst Matthew Ridge.

"You are always going to struggle to attract top players to your club when you have a rookie coach and a team that's underperforming," said Ridge.

"The Warriors are going to struggle next year again because they haven't been able to sign marquee players."

Moon has played predominantly in the centres for the Broncos but wants to take on a playmaking role at the Warriors next year.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said he was excited about Moon's talent but refused to say whether Rovelli is now on the outer at Mt Smart Stadium.

"Moon will have every opportunity to play in the halves," Scurrah said. "Grant's still playing and this is only a sign of our desire to strengthen the squad and add competition to all spots."

Meanwhile, Castleford boss Richard Wright has admitted his club is in the hunt for departing Warriors legend Wairangi Koopu.

"We are still looking at him with a view to next year," Wright said.

Another departing Warrior, Logan Swann, is yet to receive a Super League offer but Sunday News understands his agent, Frank Endacott, is in the UK talking to clubs.

warriors_ballboy_CEO_old

Warriors are still officially looking for another half, They brought Moon as a utility player. Witt & Ravs are proabably on the outer now.

Management need to take a serious look at themselves if they are thinking of cutting lose Witt. In todays game Goal Kicking is a must (E.G. Sharks game) we need to have a goal kicker that can kick them 90% and that is Witt.

Releasing him is taking two steps back.

Brent Kimmorely (his wife didnt want to move to NZ) , Casey Mcguire, Peter Walsh & one other all turned down contracts with the warriors.

attila_the_gorilla

I can`t believe they would buy someone for `utility`, certainly not for long term utility role.

MiXmasterreece_old

im surprised reading some of the articles in the papers todays claiming we are looking to offload rovelli and witt.

Witt needs to be given a chance playing inside an inform/talented halfback.

Iafeta_old

He's not being bought as a utility. He's bought to play halfback or five eighth. Clearly he's the best option available, Head is resigning with Wests, Kimmorley and Walsh wouldn't come (Kimmorley I don't think would be worth it anyhow), so the next best available was Moon. He's a left footer, and was an Australian schoolboys star. Craig Bellamy was desperate to get him last year and threw big $ at him, eventually so were the Broncos in getting him to resign.

He hasn't quite taken off yet in first grade, but he's getting better. He wasn't too bad on Friday night. Karmichael Hunt didn't really come up to ball play or help with the kicking duties till 30 minutes in, it was all Moon. Much like Denan Kemp, he's a player who will go further. Witt will go to 7, Moon to 6. He's a similar type of direct player as say Dan O'Regan, but with a more developed kicking game than Dan. Both Dan and Isaac have a few issues to work over, but I think the Warriors would probably look at releasing Fien, Rovelli and Hohaia at the end 0f 2009, guys who haven't performed to expectation despite promise, and this will open up the opportunities for John, O'Regan and Pawley and hopefully by then they've tightened up the little things they need to. O'Regan really hasn't demonstrated a kicking game of any note yet, and Ise needs to work on his consistency, got all the skills just needs to tighten up kicking direction. Great prospect though. Kevin Locke is signed till 2011, so this signing does not affect him.

Fazz_old

I'm not worried about Locke leaving, I remember hearing he didn't expect to play first grade for a few more years, he's just a kid so he'll do nothing but improve. I'd say he'll take over fullback when Wadeo's next contract ends (end of 2011?)

Esoj_old

interesting signing. I guess we take what we can get almost at this stage for next year. moon can cover the centres if needed and does have some vaulable first grade experience. competition in the halves is also good for next year and also allows fien and henderson to return to their normal interchanging roles.

Skinny_Ravs82

Well I hope SOME people paied attention to the article that WBB posted because that says alot in the fitrst few sentcnes. We did look, and did look hard but we were knocked back. So hello? We can't always get what we want.

Chief_old

We can't always get what we want.

yeah but that doesnt mean you just take what is there. They are just doing the typical warriors thing again.
When we get knocked back by notable players then why not look at our young players like we should be. Not just think "oh well we will take whats available - our 4th choice player - and hope like hell he plays well." Why not take a punt on a young player instead. Less money, more motivation coming from a young player looking to prove himself. I mean we all read the forum and watch the U20 and vulcans and know we have some talent in new zealand. Why not use it instead of letting other NRL teams nuture it.

Cant say im too impressed with all the signings really. A workhorse with none of the flair that used to make the warriors better than the rest. A wing that replaces a few wings we already have. Yeah he looks good but how can you look bad playing with the team the broncos have. What will he bring to our team.

Wiki_old

You mean till last month?

No. He is 20. He doesn't turn 21 still May next year.

He can play.

The fact of the matter is Joel Moon is still young and if he is going to play in the halves then I would of rather we developed our own youngster.
i.e Isaac John, Daniel O'Regan or even Kevin Locke!

Kevin Locke is a fullback - period. I don't want any makeshift halves.

Daniel O'Regan is not a five eighth. He has shown little in his time at 6 for the Juniors to suggest he is the answer to our problems. Granted the team has performed with him and John in there but I think that has more to do with John picking up his game more than O'Regan being the savior.

O'Regan is just a better balanced player for John to feed off.

O'Regan is a 13.

Isaac John IS a half back and with every game he is getting better. Let him continue to develop and we may see some definite signs of promise.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Interesting read in the Courier Mail today. Talking about Moon rejecting the Dragons to sign with the Warriors, his manager had this to say.

"The guarantee of the no.6 jersey at the Warriors was the clincher for Joel."

"Wayne wanted Joel to join him at Saints but the offer from the Warriors was too good to refuse."

This far out from the start of the 2009 season there's no gaurantees, but I'd be very happy to see him at five eight. Question is, who plays halfback? Will John be ready for the start of 2009?

Kid-Dynamite_old

This far out from the start of the 2009 season there's no gaurantees, but I'd be very happy to see him at five eight. Question is, who plays halfback? Will John be ready for the start of 2009?
6 Moon
7 Witt

6 Moon
7 Rovelli

6 Moon
7 John

6 Moon
7 Fien

Take your pick :)