• Fale Consortium

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Again just follow up on rumours I heard a couple of weeks ago that Eric Watson is set to sell club, I was incredibly lucky enough to be in corporate box today with one of people I first heard rumour from and what I was able to get from them is that story they told me still hasn't change. They still believe Jim Doyle along with group of four or five other people is set to buy club. Again that doesn't mean what media is reporting is wrong, they're still prepared to be completely wrong about this, it's just none of them think that Paul Davys and his business partner Peter Brown has $7 Million needed buy club which again, apparently, according to them is amount Eric Watson is asking for NZ Warriors. Again like everything I've said concerning this rumour, please remember to take it for what it is. I'm not claiming that what I am telling you is true, I'm just telling you the things I've heard as I believe that people who are as emotionally invested in NZ Warriors as I am have right to know everything they can surrounding the future of this club. Whether this means I'm correct or not I guess we're going to find out eventually. Again according to them we should hopefully know something by end of this season if not sooner ... :bag:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Could be a good opportunity to ditch sk....
I know we promised u two years Steve but the new owners want to go in a new direction- looking to bring in their own people yadda yadda- so ya know..... you're just not part the process.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Again just follow up on rumours I heard a couple of weeks ago that Eric Watson is set to sell club, I was incredibly lucky enough to be in corporate box today with one of people I first heard rumour from and what I was able to get from them is that story they told me still hasn't change. They still believe Jim Doyle along with group of four or five other people is set to buy club. Again that doesn't mean what media is reporting is wrong, they're still prepared to be completely wrong about this, it's just none of them think that Paul Davys and his business partner Peter Brown has $7 Million needed buy club which again, apparently, according to them is amount Eric Watson is asking for NZ Warriors.
Watson isn't the type of guy to give anything away for less than what he thinks it is worth, unless it was totally stuffed and beyond repair. You only have to check his business record to see that.

The longer this goes on the less value the club will have.

Interesting to see in Dale Budge's report that Doyle is not involved in the Davys/Brown offer. He is a minority shareholder so is heavily exposed if anybody was to buy Watson's share. I am not 100% sure but I think Watson could sell his share and the new owners would not be obliged to offer anything to Doyle, merely leave him as a minority shareholder and even sack him as CEO.

That would leave not only Doyle, but any staff he has employed in limbo right now. That might explain things after the Perth trip and why Kearney seems under pressure, like he has never been since he got the job.

I cannot understand why Davys has gone public right now, maybe it is just in response to the press, maybe he is trying to put pressure on Watson, because no matter what Watson is under pressure right now anyway.

As a fan I don't like the look of this at all. The best case scenario is that there are two parties bidding for the club, both able to turn it around.

Right now I don't see that and it seems a lot of players and agents see it the same way.

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Watson isn't the type of guy to give anything away for less than what he thinks it is worth, unless it was totally stuffed and beyond repair. You only have to check his business record to see that.

The longer this goes on the less value the club will have.

Interesting to see in Dale Budge's report that Doyle is not involved in the Davys/Brown offer. He is a minority shareholder so is heavily exposed if anybody was to buy Watson's share. I am not 100% sure but I think Watson could sell his share and the new owners would not be obliged to offer anything to Doyle, merely leave him as a minority shareholder and even sack him as CEO.

That would leave not only Doyle, but any staff he has employed in limbo right now. That might explain things after the Perth trip and why Kearney seems under pressure, like he has never been since he got the job.

I cannot understand why Davys has gone public right now, maybe it is just in response to the press, maybe he is trying to put pressure on Watson, because no matter what Watson is under pressure right now anyway.

As a fan I don't like the look of this at all. The best case scenario is that there are two parties bidding for the club, both able to turn it around.

Right now I don't see that and it seems a lot of players and agents see it the same way.
Seems to me that you're reading far too much into it.
Looks like EW is prepared to sell, likely to a consortium that may or may not have JD as part of it. I really hope that he is, but perhaps hat's not meant to be. We could certainly do with some new blood and energy. Cannot be any worse.

The sooner there's an announcement the better for all.
One of the reports said end of season, another said by end of week. Perhaps it's already agreed but remains conditional upon the NRL to agree to the transfer of ownership.

The only way is up.

A separate but related new owner topic ...I can see Isaac heading to ESL as part of a 'still on contract' cleanout.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Members should have a stake in how the club is run this time.
Assuming most on here would become shareholders, just imagine the AGMs.:eek:
Perhaps it's already agreed but remains conditional upon the NRL to agree to the transfer of ownership.

The only way is up.
Going from what has been published and posted.
Watson has categorically denied any deal is done.
Davys said he and Watson were still working on some issues, Doyle's share seems to be part of that.
Johnnyray has heard Doyle is working on a deal of his own. Doyle's history of working quietly would support that possibility.
We have all been here before and up is not the only way.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a good tIme to drop the New Zealand name, this isn't the national team, it's a team from NZ.
My understanding from way back was that when the Auckland Rugby League bailed out the NZRL took over. That is where the name and colour change came from.

Reaction score

demco

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
maybe it is Dean Lonergan and partners

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe it is Dean Lonergan and partners
Is he mates with Doyle? Honest question. He probably wouldn't have the readies on his own though.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Please not duco,that would do it for me finished
Duco are divorced, just arguing over the settlement. Apparently Lonergan's share would be significant but not enough to buy the Warriors. I would not mind him being in a syndicate. He sure fought very hard for the right things on the original board, and lost, but he has some experience and league nouse that somebody like JD could use.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a good tIme to drop the New Zealand name, this isn't the national team, it's a team from NZ.
I'm happy for Auckland to claim them now

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/league/kiwi-entrepreneur-confirms-intent-solely-purchase-warriors-if-had-my-way-wouldve-been-done-now

Davys confirmed to 1 NEWS a deal is close to being completely agreed on and should be finalised by the end of the week.

"If I had it my way, it would have been done by now," he said.

Davys co-directs ChoiceKids, a childcare company situated in Auckland, along with rugby league player agent Peter Brown, who was originally reported to be one of two new investors in the club.

Managing director Jim Doyle was also among the names believed to be possible new owners as he already has a 10 per cent share in the club which he purchased last year.

However, Davys told 1 NEWS he intends to own "100 per cent" of the shares of the club.

Kiwi millionaire Eric Watson has owned the club for the past 17 years after he bought the team in 2000.

-------

This Paul Davys guy looks quite young. Anyone know much about him? Seems to be close with Peter Brown as co director of ChoiceKids (https://choicekids.co.nz/about). Only real positive i can see from the sale is that the owner will be living in NZ and be able to make decisions right there and then. Not sold on the idea that his right hand man(on ChoiceKids) has so many Warriors players on his books...ChoiceKids even registered Peter Browns player agency website. Really hard to find any info on this Davys fellow...very seldom do you find anyone in business with 0 LinkedIn contacts.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
I thought you would be over the moon that Eric Watson is going???

I think the answer to your question is contained in the paragraph before it.

Davies is likely going public to put pressure on Jim Doyle, not Eric Watson. Jim has to give up his stake for the sale to go through on Davies terms but because Watson doesnt own 91% no one can force Doyle to sell if he doesnt want to. The job limbo thing would be a concern for him.

Jim probably bought no less than 10% knowing full well what that meant. His 10% is actually worth more per share than Watson's...

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I remember sitting in the smoko room with about 20 carpenters on the job when we were building the movie theatre complex at Centreplace in Hamilton, 25 plus years ago, we all had a thing for Suzie, everyone of us, even though as far as I can remember, no one had kids, we all knew who she was. Must have been those fluro sweat shirts.

As for a sale of the club, hard to go past the fact that the most successful times at the club were when Watson took over, everything was reset and no one was allowed to just expect the status quo, if you didn't want to meet the new standard, leave. I remember thinking, how can we cope if we lose guys like Big Joe and Mears. Turned out we coped pretty well, till everyone got comfortable again.
Took my eldest to Auckland Zoo when he was little..
We randomly bumped into Suzie.

The little fullah got a photo of Suzie cuddling him.

Lucky little bugger.

As for the sale of the club.....Im interested to see who gets fired 1st if the ownership changes.

Equally interested in who gets hired.

Reaction score
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Please not duco,that would do it for me finished
An A-grade Cunt could be exactly what we need, god bless him.

I'll tell you why, brother...

...and to be uber-relevant I'll use the strategic logic of the Greens in the current election game, whereby Meyt Turei - who we should immediately sign as a prop coz she seems to have more balls than Bam Libone, (Metiria Turei - Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards, Current Club: *claims to be unemployed; ) - can convince herself that people will buy any old irrational emotive bullshit, and some voters inevitably will.

#IStandWithColinCraig

#FamilyValuesButYouCanHaveAnAffairWithYourSecretary

The critical difference here is that Lonergan is not a "silent owner" ...can you see Deano tolerating the unbelievably amateurish bullshit that seems to epitomise this club? His ego alone projects the elusive mythical culture of success against all odds, logic and reason.

Sure he made a name for himself by getting knocked out and refusing to acknowledge he was unconscious. But at this stage, let's face it; that applies to everyone still on this forum : punch-drunk brain-damaged masochistic idiots. Every single one of us. Edit: (except the Mods)

Dean Lonergan is the ultimate living, walking, bullshitting embodiment of the stereotypical Warriors fan. Therefore he's the perfect new owner of the club.

tl;dr: If the Suzy Cato dream falls through, Lonergan gets my vote for the reasons stated above.

#PartyVoteDean

Last edited:
Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought you would be over the moon that Eric Watson is going???
Absolutely I am with Chris Rattue 100% on this one. I only fear the unknown, a bit like when Saddam Hussein was toppled.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11903413
Chris Rattue: Warriors owner Eric Watson mastered how not to run a footy club
Eric Watson will leave any new Warriors' owner with a wonderful blueprint, in how not to run a footy club.

Watson is apparently ready to sell to businessman Paul Davys, and any shift in the right direction can't come soon enough.

From his remote control overseas to the club's fascination with grandiose distractions, and of course the endless years of major under-achievement and waning public interest, Watson's ownership has left one heck of a mess to clear up.

Watson got the Warriors for a song and turned a potential hit into a lead balloon.

Maybe Watson tried hard but got it wrong. But it's very difficult to find anything good to say about his 17 years of ownership, apart from the odd inspired moment such as the club finding a bloke like Simon Mannering.

The scary large "honours" board of first graders in the Warriors foyer says it all. How could the golden dreams of 1995 have gone so horribly wrong?

So up step a new saviour. Businessman Davys says he is at the fine detail stage of buying the Warriors from Watson.

The NRL payout to clubs trumps the salary cap so this is a game of expertise, not football-style spending, and Watson never got close to finding a sustainable formula.

The Warriors weren't much chop at the point Watson took a stake around 2001, and they haven't been much chop since.

The nadir was a flirtation with setting up professional rugby union teams around 2004, with revelations the club would be delighted to abandon league as its primary purpose.
What emerged was a betrayal and a reason why, even all these years, I find it hard to have a charitable word to say about Watson's ownership.

Even the good times weren't that good, two grand final appearances providing only short-lived joy.

The first visit to the big show was achieved in the erratic days when "Mad" Mick Watson was CEO, and that ended in tears including the weird departure of coach Daniel Anderson.

The era which led to the 2011 grand final appearance under coach Ivan Cleary appeared to be more cohesive.

Cleary had found a brilliant mentor in John Hart, a Warriors director, and along with assistant coach and super-scout John Ackland, they drove the side to eventual success while circumventing Wayne Scurrah, a chief executive the trio had little faith in.

It has been downhill since, the club even rejecting Cleary's return this season in favour of Steve Kearney, a noble character with a short and shocking record as an NRL head coach.

Cracks have always been there. There was Eric Watson's embarrassing fall out with his Warriors co-owner Owen Glenn about five minutes into their relationship, the expensive courting of little English failure Sam Tomkins, the Kieran Foran shambles, and the extraordinary sight of star signing Issac Luke turning up to his opening trial game looking like he'd been mainlining icecream.

Oh that's right: there was also a salary cap scandal, CEO Watson became distracted by boxing, the club failed to sign brilliant youngsters such as Sonny Bill Williams and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and on and on and on.

One big worry is the way the club has alienated the budding stars from Auckland and around the country.

What has been Watson's interest in owning the club?

He stated yesterday: "I'm in no rush [to sell] and I'm keen to do what's best for the club."

He's got a chance here to show that his heart is indeed in the right place.

Okay, on to a positive note.

Davys told Dale Budge, the NZME league writer who broke the change-of-ownership story: "I have a huge passion for rugby league and see the ownership of the Warriors as both a privilege and a duty of care to the game in New Zealand. The Warriors is not just a business, it's the heart and soul of rugby league in this country."

Great words. Good luck.

I think the answer to your question is contained in the paragraph before it.

Davies is likely going public to put pressure on Jim Doyle, not Eric Watson. Jim has to give up his stake for the sale to go through on Davies terms but because Watson doesnt own 91% no one can force Doyle to sell if he doesnt want to. The job limbo thing would be a concern for him.
That makes sense although the bottom line is that Doyle is a minority shareholder in an outfit people are not interested in buying. His shares might be worth nothing.
As for the sale of the club.....Im interested to see who gets fired 1st if the ownership changes.
The new owner intends to work in the business apparently so probably Doyle's position.
Kearney is employed by Watson so he could be next.
Then those guys who got on the sauce in Newcastle.
Adam Blair hasn't been signed yet either.

Top Bottom