General Warriors selection vs Vulcans

Viking_old

It was a tough game with the Warriors winning 28-14. Half time score was 6-6. I think it finished off being 6 tries to 3 with 2 conversions apiece.

Vince Mellars came into the Vulcans team this week after a year with Canterbury rugby and as a result my boy didn't get on to the field. It was quite a tight game, I think it was 18-14 going into the last quarter and the Vulcans chose to stay with their first string players, only fielding 18 players in total whereas the Warriors ran at least 25.

Witt was the standout again, kicking a 40-20 in blustery conditions, scoring a smart try and was just in control. Strangely though, he missed 4 out of 6 conversions and at least 2 that he missed were sitters. I don't think the Warriors would've won without him today.

Royal was busy and would offload in heavy traffic, it was very hard for the Vulcans to stop him even when tackling in numbers. If he can do that in 1st grade, the support runners will have a field day. Hame was his usual self and hard to contain, but he tried to start a fight in the first quarter which was strange cos he was joking around with the Vulcans boys before the game! Go figure.

The 1st grade players all featured in the match and the inclusion of Malo in the last quarter put it out of reach for the Vulcans. The 20s didn't stand out except there was one who was absolutely huge and out of shape, so much so that I thought he must be part of the support staff before I saw him in a playing jersey. He has to be 130kgs at least, he looks like a fatter version of Packer!

2big2strong_old

It was a tough game with the Warriors winning 28-14. Half time score was 6-6. I think it finished off being 6 tries to 3 with 2 conversions apiece.

Vince Mellars came into the Vulcans team this week after a year with Canterbury rugby and as a result my boy didn't get on to the field. It was quite a tight game, I think it was 18-14 going into the last quarter and the Vulcans chose to stay with their first string players, only fielding 18 players in total whereas the Warriors ran at least 25.

Witt was the standout again, kicking a 40-20 in blustery conditions, scoring a smart try and was just in control. Strangely though, he missed 4 out of 6 conversions and at least 2 that he missed were sitters. I don't think the Warriors would've won without him today.

Royal was busy and would offload in heavy traffic, it was very hard for the Vulcans to stop him even when tackling in numbers. If he can do that in 1st grade, the support runners will have a field day. Hame was his usual self and hard to contain, but he tried to start a fight in the first quarter which was strange cos he was joking around with the Vulcans boys before the game! Go figure.

The 1st grade players all featured in the match and the inclusion of Malo in the last quarter put it out of reach for the Vulcans. The 20s didn't stand out except there was one who was absolutely huge and out of shape, so much so that I thought he must be part of the support staff before I saw him in a playing jersey. He has to be 130kgs at least, he looks like a fatter version of Packer!

Wow, awesome Viking, thanks for the update!

So was Royal the standout? Did he appear out of shape or anything like that?

Witt sounds like he's really playing for a spot in the 1st grade side which can only be good. It'll mean that Fien and Moon have to play to the best of their ability each week just to keep their spots.

feijoa_old

cheers for the update

lol @ hame you can only imagine the mischief hes gonna get up to over there

Tajhay_old

news report says that witt wasnt even chosen in the halves for this game...was slated to play fullback. sad how far he has fallen and cant blame him for trying to get out of the club.

Viking_old

news report says that witt wasnt even chosen in the halves for this game...was slated to play fullback. sad how far he has fallen and cant blame him for trying to get out of the club.

Nah he played 6 for the Warriors selection whereas that report had him playing fullback for the Vulcans, wrong team and wrong position. It was probably from Jessup who went to Mt Smart no 2. today and wondered where everyone else was. The Vulcans wouldn't do that to him anyway and the Warriors can't dictate to the Vulcans what position they put players in, they're completely separate clubs that work together.

Viking_old

Wow, awesome Viking, thanks for the update!

So was Royal the standout? Did he appear out of shape or anything like that?

Witt sounds like he's really playing for a spot in the 1st grade side which can only be good. It'll mean that Fien and Moon have to play to the best of their ability each week just to keep their spots.

Royal was a standout in the Warriors forwards, looked in good shape but not as big as I thought he would be. He has more of a second rowers build. He put in good minutes. McDade was making better metres though.

Heard Witt talking to someone and it sounded like he wasn't in the loop with what the club wanted with him and Hame also said something to the same effect. It seems there's a bit of distance between players and management which I think is a good thing but it seems impersonal too. I'd say Witt's resigned to the fact he's got to go, he was in good spirits and put a big effort in considering he didn't have much to play for and risked injuring himself before he signs elsewhere. He was much better than Johns.

I'd love to know who the big bopper was, he's not in the 20s profile pictures on action sports and not a player I'd seen before.

2big2strong_old

A Vodafone Warriors selection comprising NRL and NYC squad members today beat the Auckland Vulcans 28-14 in a trial match at Walter Massey Park in Mangere.

The combined side was made up of players who didn't travel to Lismore for tonight's NRL and NYC trials.

Scoring twice for the Vodafone Warriors was 39-game NRL utility Patrick Ah Van while former Vodafone Warrior Vince Mellars also had a double for the Vulcans, who were using the match to prepare for their campaign in this year's New South Wales Cup competition.

Despite appalling weather, a crowd of about 800 still turned out to watch the trial.

Match details:
At Walter Massey Park, Mangere
Vodafone Warriors Selection 28 (Patrick Ah Van, Michael Witt, Epalahame Lauaki, Lewis Brown, Sebastine Ikihihifo tries; Michael Witt conversion).
Auckland Vulcans 14 (Vince Mellars 2, Pita Godinet tries; Pita Godinet conversion).
Halftime: 6-6.
Referee: Leon Williamson.

www.warriors.co.nz

First off. Who the hell is Ikihihifo?

Secondly. Sorry to see Vince's Rugby career didn't take off. But at the same time, what a talent to be playing in the Vulcans!. I really rate Vince, he's not the flashiest player but he is one of the safest players I've seen under a high ball and a great finisher. I was thinking the other day that we're covered for depth in every position except centre. We've got Tate, Ropati, Kirk and Ah Van. None of our 20's centres from last year really stood up, Mannering could play there but I'd rather not mess with him, but Mellars is an NRL quality centre/Wing that would fall under match payments if he was called upon in the future. Can't wait for the development of James Te Pou. Sounds like he's the best centre coming through the ranks, can you confirm Viking? Or tell of any classy centres coming through?

Viking_old

Sebastine Ikihihifo would be 17 or 18yr old Otahuhu boy from the development squad I'm guessing. They've used a number of development squad boys in the trials but there's been about 20 contracted NYC players that haven't taken the field this year. It's a bit odd because they aren't injured that I know of. Perhaps they're short in some positions.

Vince is bloody huge, a pretty cool guy and made a point of getting to know all the players. He was dangerous but a little rusty, he scored two tries but other opportunities went begging with his timing a bit off. He was starting to towel up Sam Limu-Franklin so the Warriors stuck on a skinny white winger who did a better job of trying to contain Vince.

James is one of the better attackers but his D and upper body strength would need work at this level. Ben Henry is the better centre of the two and he's been playing at a higher level for longer. They were both the centres for JK U16s in 07 but Ben made the NZ Maori U18s in the same year and also won the Seniors A's (men's level below prems) Auckland title with his church team, the Bay Roskill "God Squad".

Kurt Kara, Suitonga, Rusty and Bill are all older and better players ATM. There's also Sam Lousi who is 6'5, somewhere between 105-110kgs and plays 2nd row but also has the speed and ball skills to play centre and is still 17. His dad said to me that Sam would be happy just to get 1 game this year, the competition for spots is that strong but I reckon once he gets a game he'll become a permanent fixture. He might need a shoulder reco soon unfortunately. I think James has had the most press because of the Parramatta connection and I don't think he's turned 17 yet so there's plenty of potential, he should've stayed with Parra and played SG Ball IMO.

2big2strong_old

Thanks for the insight Viking! That Sam Limu Franklin sounds like he's big for nothing. I heard him called a Manu clone but I'll have to wait and see in a couple weeks. Rusty Bristow has all the skills but he's far too overweight and slow. Last year against the titans Jordan Rapana, the titans wing, made a break down the sideline Bristow started chasing but Mataupu Poching left Rusty in his dust. Took Rusty the rest of the half to get back to the kick off.

Spence_old

Aparently he was a bit of a wonder kid a while ago. Hopefully he loses that weight. He has a cool enough name to play first grade.

warriors_ballboy_CEO_old

Rusty was an outstanding player for Otahuhu College in the 2006 Auckland Secondary school competition, Busted through tackles with easy, and hade a great offload & fend.

Viking_old

Thanks for the insight Viking! That Sam Limu Franklin sounds like he's big for nothing. I heard him called a Manu clone but I'll have to wait and see in a couple weeks. Rusty Bristow has all the skills but he's far too overweight and slow. Last year against the titans Jordan Rapana, the titans wing, made a break down the sideline Bristow started chasing but Mataupu Poching left Rusty in his dust. Took Rusty the rest of the half to get back to the kick off.

Sam LF made one run that showed he has wheels and there's no shame in getting dusted by Vince Mellars. The kid has thighs like tree trunks and he's keen on defence which shows character, it's just the two times I've seen him play now he's been off the pace. His left knee is heavily strapped so he might be easing back in to match fitness, who knows. He's basically a 2nd row\prop that has some speed so the usual Kiwi tactic is to stick him out on the wing. I don't know that he'll be pushing Bill or Thomas out of a wing spot so unless he can cover at centre or in the forwards, I doubt he'll be a first pick NYC player. I was going to say that the Warriors don't usually contract BFNs then I remembered George Leupepe from last year. Here's hoping he develops into something special, he's putting the effort in, just lacks the polish.

One attribute Rusty has that isn't in abundance here is mongrel. He's not particularly big even for a back so he makes up for it with aggression, a bit like Matai. I'd take an overweight but talented player who hates losing over a musclebound showpony any day.

2big2strong_old

Oh, there's no doubting Rusty Bristow is a fine player, I just think he's too slow for the backs. I actually think he could develop into a world class backrower in a short, stumpy, Trevor "Axe" Gillmeister mould. He must've held the record for most tackle breaks last year, was throwing them off.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Nafe Seluini goes this year. I thought he was amazing last year but then he got hooked! Don't know the reasons, could've been an injury or attitude but he was like a pocket dynamo!