General Warriors Season 2014 Discussion

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Now that the team is going better, need things to complain about.

You’ll all be pleased to know the Mt Smart Joker was live and in person at the cake tin, you probably saw him on TV, but just in case you missed it he was on the pitch in warriors shorts and jersey with ultimate warrior style tassels on his arms and legs (what meta commentary is this on true warrior fandom Mt Wellington?) trying to get the crowd hyped.

I think Vodafone, rather than the club, is to blame for this one, he was involved with the pre game Jay Reeve wank fest, I used to think he was harmless enough, taking his seat in the crowd, but it’s really tacky having him as an official part of the events.

Watching the replay Voss is really getting on my nerves this year, I need a break from him I think, where’s Warren Smith and Ben Ikin when you need them. He’s pointing out a lot of flaws in the warriors but not in the opposition, and what I used to hear as enthusiasm is now sounding false. I don’t want Ray Hadley / Wally Lewis style blind sycophant warrior commentary, but if we are stuck with him for every game from here on out, then it’d be good if he toned it down a bit.

Inruin

Contributor
Now that the team is going better, need things to complain about.

You’ll all be pleased to know the Mt Smart Joker was live and in person at the cake tin, you probably saw him on TV, but just in case you missed it he was on the pitch in warriors shorts and jersey with ultimate warrior style tassels on his arms and legs (what meta commentary is this on true warrior fandom Mt Wellington?) trying to get the crowd hyped.

I think Vodafone, rather than the club, is to blame for this one, he was involved with the pre game Jay Reeve wank fest, I used to think he was harmless enough, taking his seat in the crowd, but it’s really tacky having him as an official part of the events.

Watching the replay Voss is really getting on my nerves this year, I need a break from him I think, where’s Warren Smith and Ben Ikin when you need them. He’s pointing out a lot of flaws in the warriors but not in the opposition, and what I used to hear as enthusiasm is now sounding false. I don’t want Ray Hadley / Wally Lewis style blind sycophant warrior commentary, but if we are stuck with him for every game from here on out, then it’d be good if he toned it down a bit.
need a Monty Betham comments man rather than the very Mad dog Halligan

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
Here's something to complain about.

Shaun as kicker - now, I know those first two try conversions weren't exactly easy and maybe nobody in the Warriors would have nailed them but: Do we have an alternative? I'd feel bad enough seeing the Warriors failing to make the finals again without having to consider that it's due to their points differential being 6 worse than the Cowboys and thinking back to four-five relatively simple conversions Shaun missed.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Here's something to complain about.

Shaun as kicker - now, I know those first two try conversions weren't exactly easy and maybe nobody in the Warriors would have nailed them but: Do we have an alternative? I'd feel bad enough seeing the Warriors failing to make the finals again without having to consider that it's due to their points differential being 6 worse than the Cowboys and thinking back to four-five relatively simple conversions Shaun missed.

True, he was nailing them at the world cup and now hes at like 60%, he's getting a lot of practice from the right sideline, you wouldn't be too confident in him from there with the game on the line. Townsend's the other option, he's kicked at 66% for his NRL career, not exaclty El Masri accuracy.

Come on guys the wind was swirling at the cake tin. I'd say it again the Tigers backs were out for much longer for practicing before the game, and the Warriors backs only came out with about 15 minutes to go until Kick off. I was wondering don't they want to warm up. They rushed their warm up. So therefore I don't think Johnson could get an accurate reading on the wind until late in the game.

If they had been out at basically the same time as the Tigers backs then yes I would complain about his kicking. But they weren't.

SJs goal kicking will be fine, he got off to a horror start last year then got hot and kicked 19 of his next 20, ended up kicking 67 of 89 (75%) and turned an awful start into a respectable season.

Has had a tough start to this season for goal kicking weather, with the cyclone at the Dragons game and now Wellington (lowest % goals made of all grounds in the super rugby competition). Looks to be striking the ball cleanly to me, will be fine.

Interesting to note that the two, so called easybeats that toweled us in our first two games are placed 3rd and 4th on the points table.
When the draw was announced we were given the benefit of playing only one game against the so called top teams (unlike last year) as it was considered unfair to cop the same treatment two years in a row.
However the new rules seem to have changed things around and a few of last years cellar dwellers have exploited the new rules well and now head the race whereas Roosters are nowhere to be seen.
Funny old game isn't it? Tinker with the rules and some smart Elec will come along and throw all your stats out the window.

Couldn't agree more.

The new Rules , well more the way the Refs are trying to implement them ( they're all over the place with them to be fair especially the quick tap ) suits attacking teams that play the game fast.

The Dragons are fast around the ruck, they'll be top eight in September Injury wiling, the Tigers are fast up front and have speed in their spine , they'll be top eight this year injury willing.

The Broncos have excellent line speed....offensive defence and scramble that's getting them through games against teams with better attack....their fitness is what's keeping them up there for lack of better attack.
Our forwards went ok V the Drags and Eels , the problem ( apart from Carlos ) was slowing their roll on down.

The Warriors....along with everyone else are going to struggle against those Mobile sides under the new rules they're the teams to watch.

The player that's keeping us hanging in their is Johnson, the In goal repeat sets neutralises the gap between us and the new breed. Hurrell adds to that with his power running, positive outcome in the ruck.

There is ground we need to make up on the others :

We need to be fitter, we need to be matching or bettering the fittest team in the NRL ( Broncos / Manly / Dragons ).

Line speed has been a weakness for us in the past , people need to get up to Bukuya's level of fitness, that's where he is an asset pushing our players at training to work with some intensity for long periods.

TL will help a lot , another player capable of high intensity minutes , the new game style is moving beyond the Nathan Friend brave eighty minute tackle tackle players , you need the fastest ruck options money can buy.

Adding in people Like Laumape to boost the roll on would close the gap between us and the Eels / Dragons ( there is a gap , the Eels loss over the Roosters was an anomaly , they stormed back against Manly )

We will need to be super fit to catch up with the level of intensity the Broncos play in defence.

We need offensive ball runners with Quick speed off the mark over short distances ( Laumape ) , at the Moment when we have the ball , we are carrying Dane Nielson , that can't continue, next season.

The Eels are 100 % better this year because they're looking dangerous on both edges. We gotta recruit players that move up fast , run fast from dummy half , and keep it going for eighty minutes.....that rules out Dane.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more.

The new Rules , well more the way the Refs are trying to implement them ( they're all over the place with them to be fair especially the quick tap ) suits attacking teams that play the game fast.

The Dragons are fast around the ruck, they'll be top eight in September Injury wiling, the Tigers are fast up front and have speed in their spine , they'll be top eight this year injury willing.

The Broncos have excellent line speed....offensive defence and scramble that's getting them through games against teams with better attack....their fitness is what's keeping them up there for lack of better attack.
Our forwards went ok V the Drags and Eels , the problem ( apart from Carlos ) was slowing their roll on down.

The Warriors....along with everyone else are going to struggle against those Mobile sides under the new rules they're the teams to watch.

The player that's keeping us hanging in their is Johnson, the In goal repeat sets neutralises the gap between us and the new breed. Hurrell adds to that with his power running, positive outcome in the ruck.

There is ground we need to make up on the others :

We need to be fitter, we need to be matching or bettering the fittest team in the NRL ( Broncos / Manly / Dragons ).

Line speed has been a weakness for us in the past , people need to get up to Bukuya's level of fitness, that's where he is an asset pushing our players at training to work with some intensity for long periods.

TL will help a lot , another player capable of high intensity minutes , the new game style is moving beyond the Nathan Friend brave eighty minute tackle tackle players , you need the fastest ruck options money can buy.

Adding in people Like Laumape to boost the roll on would close the gap between us and the Eels / Dragons ( there is a gap , the Eels loss over the Roosters was an anomaly , they stormed back against Manly )

We will need to be super fit to catch up with the level of intensity the Broncos play in defence.

We need offensive ball runners with Quick speed off over short distances ( Laumape ) , at the Moment when we have the ball , we are carrying Dane Nielson , that can't continue, next season.

The Eels are 100 % better this year because they're looking dangerous on both edges. We gotta recruit players that move up fast , run fast from dummy half , and keep it going for eighty minutes.....that rules out Dane.
Great summation as always there Sup, unfortunately I do not have a private secretary to type up those awesome long posts that you are famous for.;)

Reactions: Sup42