General Warriors Season 2014 Discussion

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11221390

Apologies on the lack of formatting - copy and paste from the article...

Star recruit Sam Tomkins has joined the Herald. The England fullback will write a fortnightly column, starting today.

There's no doubt my introduction to the NRL has been tough.

I knew it was going to be like that coming into the season from both a personal and team point of view.

The NRL is a tough competition and you need to be at your best every week, and we haven't been able to do that over the last fortnight.

For some reason, we haven't played to the same structures we have practised during the week.
I'm not happy with my form yet. Nobody is playing their best in round one or two and, like the rest of the team, I have things to work on and I'm going to get better.

Pressure is not an issue. I have been asked about that a million times since I signed with the Warriors but I'm concentrating on doing my job for this group, nothing else.

No amount of external pressure is going to bother me.

We are a very tight group and are going to get better. It's a long season. We haven't started as well as we should have but it's a challenge and I'm someone who enjoys a challenge.

It was one of the reasons I signed with the Warriors.
Everybody wants to be in a team that is evolving and growing.

If you go into a side that's already at the very top, you are jumping into a team that is already very successful. Hopefully I can help make a difference.

By the start of last year, I had decided I wanted to leave Wigan and play in the NRL.

The first thing I needed to do was try to negotiate a way of getting out of my contract with Wigan. That was the tough bit. It was a club I enjoyed playing at but I wanted a change.

Once that was resolved, my agent went out to speak to a few clubs and discovered a few were interested. From there, it was a case of choosing where I thought I was best suited and the Warriors came out on top of that.

There are a lot of similarities between Wigan and the Warriors. They are both family-oriented clubs with masses of talent. The Warriors have bags of potential that hasn't been turned into success.
That was the feeling I had when I first came into the Wigan team.

Some things needed changing and we went from being a semifinal team to the top.

I'm really enjoying living in Auckland and it's been better than I expected, apart from the first couple of results. It's a brilliant place. When I told people I was going to New Zealand, many asked why I wasn't going to Australia. It was usually Aussies with their typical Australia-is-the-best-place-in-the-world attitude.

I have been in situations like this before when we have lost the first two games of the season. It's not ideal but these aren't games that are going to cost us silverware. We are going to get better.

Reactions: 4 users
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11221390

Apologies on the lack of formatting - copy and paste from the article...

Star recruit Sam Tomkins has joined the Herald. The England fullback will write a fortnightly column, starting today.

There's no doubt my introduction to the NRL has been tough.

I knew it was going to be like that coming into the season from both a personal and team point of view.

The NRL is a tough competition and you need to be at your best every week, and we haven't been able to do that over the last fortnight.

For some reason, we haven't played to the same structures we have practised during the week
I'm not happy with my form yet. Nobody is playing their best in round one or two and, like the rest of the team, I have things to work on and I'm going to get better.

Pressure is not an issue. I have been asked about that a million times since I signed with the Warriors but I'm concentrating on doing my job for this group, nothing else.

No amount of external pressure is going to bother me.

We are a very tight group and are going to get better. It's a long season. We haven't started as well as we should have but it's a challenge and I'm someone who enjoys a challenge.

It was one of the reasons I signed with the Warriors.

Loving what he is saying about the Warriors and how they are
Everybody wants to be in a team that is evolving and growing.

If you go into a side that's already at the very top, you are jumping into a team that is already very successful. Hopefully I can help make a difference.

By the start of last year, I had decided I wanted to leave Wigan and play in the NRL.

The first thing I needed to do was try to negotiate a way of getting out of my contract with Wigan. That was the tough bit. It was a club I enjoyed playing at but I wanted a change.

Once that was resolved, my agent went out to speak to a few clubs and discovered a few were interested. From there, it was a case of choosing where I thought I was best suited and the Warriors came out on top of that.

There are a lot of similarities between Wigan and the Warriors. They are both family-oriented clubs with masses of talent. The Warriors have bags of potential that hasn't been turned into success.
That was the feeling I had when I first came into the Wigan team.

Some things needed changing and we went from being a semifinal team to the top.

I'm really enjoying living in Auckland and it's been better than I expected, apart from the first couple of results. It's a brilliant place. When I told people I was going to New Zealand, many asked why I wasn't going to Australia. It was usually Aussies with their typical Australia-is-the-best-place-in-the-world attitude.

I have been in situations like this before when we have lost the first two games of the season. It's not ideal but these aren't games that are going to cost us silverware. We are going to get better.

Loving what he is saying about the Warriors and how they are not sticking to what they practice (blame the Captain) but feels they will soon click.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome news:

"Voss joins Fox

FOOTY commentator Andrew Voss is joining the Fox Sports commentary team to call the Warriors’ away games this season.

The deal was done following a request from Sky TV in New Zealand to get continuity in their broadcasts.

Voss has been calling their home games in Auckland since his controversial departure from Channel Nine two years ago. Fox Sports has not announced the signing because of their concern at the reaction from Nine."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/w...tion-to-bulldogs/story-fndujljl-1226862022179

Definitely my favorite caller.

10003968_738763036168092_1116471218_n.jpg
How did we get away with using 2 balls in the Eden Park game?

Well that was a season changing win.

Seriously getting on with a top eight chase by week three is a new position for us, come on you bastards, don't let the Tigers take the path to the finals from you.

Come on Warriors Puhlease......take us to two from two......hit that form gear it's coming......

Lousi could be that forward we are looking for. Upped his game last night , scored a crucial Try , Big man in the gap close to the line, safe hands , try time.

Bet him and the seagulls at Mt Smart are relieved there will be no giant Mofo wearing nothing but a mop on his head running across the Hallowed turf seasons end.

Awesome news:
"Voss joins Fox
FOOTY commentator Andrew Voss is joining the Fox Sports commentary team to call the Warriors’ away games this season.
The deal was done following a request from Sky TV in New Zealand to get continuity in their broadcasts.
Voss has been calling their home games in Auckland since his controversial departure from Channel Nine two years ago. Fox Sports has not announced the signing because of their concern at the reaction from Nine."
Although it's good to hear what the other commentators say about our team even with how generic it could be "Big Warriors getting tired" etc. I'm all for this move he provides a lot of enthusiasm and does criticise the Warriors when the play crap. He's to good a caller to be only calling one TV game every two weeks.

I know there were issues at Channel 9 cause he made some comments about Ray Warrens' statue but he's a much better commentator then Hadley. The Roast and the second Friday night game haven't been the same since Voss left.

Seen threads on League Unlimited with a lot of Aussies saying they miss Voss or how good a commentator he is. Good for us kiwis if Sky look after him and keep him happy.

Reactions: 2 users

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I like a bit of variety in warrior commentating too, vossy is good, but he can be a bit hyper and rambling. He is very good on analysing tries going upstairs, unlike the two last night.

Who weren't too bad, they gave the warriors some credit for playing well, when they could have slagged off the cows for being below par.

Would we have the option of changing commentary options like when we make our rare Channel 9 appearances?

I usually try and change commentary tracks if possible for test matches and any rare Channel 9 games we play at home where there is the usual NZ commentary and the Channel 9 guys who we do not hear them discussing our players very often.

Reactions: 1 user
Have to agree with the other posts.

Part of the fun of listening to Fox and Nine without Vossy is hearing the bias turn to a reluctant chorus of Warriorness.

For Example Gary Belcher has been one of the worst , this year at half time he has gone out of his way to sound unbiased of the Warriors ( Eels game he praises their commitment and defence , a week later he does the same , and turns a one eighty on his call re Fishes Try " The Video ref got it right , that ball clearly came off fisiahi's knee )

40/20 tonight ( great show now days with Awen lead commentary backed up by a relaxed Monty and Richie ) watching Sam Lousi in the Gym he looks bigger and stronger than the last pic posted on here of him....he looked snall to me in the last tweet.... ( dayum that boy is gaining mass while injured ).

Locke was saying he and Sam had a spar lol Sam gave Locke what for.......If Sam is getting bigger , and Sione continues to come on this year , we could have our own brown Burgi.

I know there has been a lot of false Lousi dawns around here , but Sam is looking like a genuine physical monster , that's a start , put him in the ring with Manu.

Last edited:
He sounded pissed off that he was injured after playing the end of last season and sounds hungry to get on the field; good signs so hopefully he plays with some aggression when he gets back and monsters some people.

If Sam comes on we may not need to recruit size for our forward pack we could just promote internally.

The new gym equipment gets more impressive each time they show it. I know someone who was offered their old gear to fit out a gym; the only thing work anything was the dumbbells as the rest of the stuff is ancient.

He sounded pissed off that he was injured after playing the end of last season and sounds hungry to get on the field; good signs so hopefully he plays with some aggression when he gets back and monsters some people.

If Sam comes on we may not need to recruit size for our forward pack we could just promote internally.

The new gym equipment gets more impressive each time they show it. I know someone who was offered their old gear to fit out a gym; the only thing work anything was the dumbbells as the rest of the stuff is ancient.

Yeah my mate and I were watching that segment with envy haha. Looks like paradise!

When you look at who isn't in the team we should be confident. Off the top of the head, Locke, Fusitua, Laumape, Kata, Lolohea, Gubb, Louisi, Ikahahifo, Henry, Waetford and Hurrell is only just back.

Injuries, or lack of them affect a team big time, look at Souths. A slow start but the team seems to be building and Townsville was important not for the win, but how they won. A lot of guts and determination. Mistakes can be eliminated, but the drive has to be there. This week will show whether they are on track.

Besides not hearing what the other commentators think about us another bad thing with Voss commentating on all of our games is the colour commentator that goes with him. I'm not sure if I could handle Halligan every week. It would be cool if they had a rotation of colour commentators for our away games as well.

Inruin

Contributor
Besides not hearing what the other commentators think about us another bad thing with Voss commentating on all of our games is the colour commentator that goes with him. I'm not sure if I could handle Halligan every week. It would be cool if they had a rotation of colour commentators for our away games as well.
I actually quite enjoyed Monty Betham's commentary the other week.

40/20 tonight ( great show now days with Awen lead commentary backed up by a relaxed Monty and Richie ) watching Sam Lousi in the Gym he looks bigger and stronger than the last pic posted on here of him....he looked snall to me in the last tweet.... ( dayum that boy is gaining mass while injured ).

Locke was saying he and Sam had a spar lol Sam gave Locke what for.......If Sam is getting bigger , and Sione continues to come on this year , we could have our own brown Burgi.

I know there has been a lot of false Lousi dawns around here , but Sam is looking like a genuine physical monster , that's a start , put him in the ring with Manu.

No McIvor on 40/20 is the best news ever - such a muppet!

Nathan Freinds prime has passed.

What's left is an excellent player defensively and a player who stands out because he is consistent in an inconsistent team.

I'm not really looking for an argument from people who love Friend , I respect him as much as any other fan. Just stating it how it is.

When he was at his peak '( that was in his youth in a Titans Jumper btw ) he was a running threat and much admired for his ticker in D , I remember fearing friend when we played the Titans.

You couldn't fairly argue that he is that player feared by other teams now.

Gordon Tallis's recent comments that Friend clocks up high tackles because teams target him is not a new idea. Mark Geyer a long time ago accused ex Kiwi and Melbourne Storm hooker Richard Swain of exactly the same.

Swain topped the tackle count for the entire NRL , he had the record for minutes played , and consecutive minutes.

Wayne Bennett tried Swain in the Bronco's top team......he stuck out like a sore thumb , because the last thing they needed was someone to make tackles for other people. Simply put they could make their own tackles, they had a well balanced side.

That was the end of the tackling hooker.

So why the Warrior love affair with players who have high tackling rates ?

The answer is obvious because in any given Warriors team you will have the Manu's ,Hurrells , Johnson's , Maloneys , Mateos......horrible defenders.

Throw in there forwards who are prone to give away penalties and drop balls , and create a defensive sieve with coaches getting clever around one more weak tackler ( Carlos )

You're in trouble really , and the rest of your roster will have to be made up of baby sitters , real serious baby sitters , players who will be called on to make double the tackling of their counterparts in other NRL teams.

We shouldn't be aiming at plug fillers like Friend longer term. That habit needs to be broken at the source. ( Big picture is we need to go to the ESL till this current development crop can only make first grade by proving themselves are defenders / set the bench mark for the next Manu /Johnson / Hurrell there ).

Johnson so far is the most improved defender of our flakey list, It's not some short term change either , he improved last year....and is really bringing it now.

That leaves Hurrell and Manu.

Does anyone else think they are telling Manu to come in off his wing now ? and try to cut the ball off ?

Watching the Cows I saw them all slap Manu on the back for coming in on Tate......Tomkins Townsend and I forget who else ( probably Mannering race across to defend Manu's Wing in his absence ).

That actually makes sense to me. Manu is a big problem, one on one he's probably beaten on the edge anyway , might as well come in and tackle / disrupt the passing and make a bunch of other players slide that might actually get to the corner to cover.

You have to have a gumbyies like Neilson unless you're prepared to find consistent replacement players that don't need Neilson / Friend / Ropati / Mannering baby sitters.

If Hurrell has this weight issue permanently , two years in a row his mind / body reality is he snorts pies like others have booze battles.....there has to be change....

there is no way he is a center right now , for all my wishful thinking ( he will make it back in a month or two ) he's Sam Moa ( except Sam Moa doesn't have to sit down on the Grass and Watch when he's shot ).

Konrad really could have done with two years in a row of un interupted growth as a center ( defensively......I'm thrilled he can bowl people over....but the weight problem has retarded any hope of seeing if he can have a steady progression as an edge defender for two years in a Row now ) .

Put it this way. If Hurrell doesn't show up ready to play center in 2015 his days as a back are over. The Warriors couldn't carry that up down selection guess work for next year as well....that would be three years of Hurrell messing with our chance to finally build a defensive edge ( one has to to have good understanding.....right now we got two poor edges....but I have a hope for the right , with or without Konrad).

Hurrell is by no means a right off , his future may just lie in the forwards ( not where I want it , for the sake of the team 2015 will have to be cut off for him as a back at some point if you want to win this competition ).

That right edge without Hurrell is improving defensively.

Most people remember the Winterstein Try and fairly don't see a lot of hope for that edge ( It looked like Fish got bowled out of the Way and Ropati slips over , otherwise that side has a pretty sound night ).

Just on that Winterstien try.....re watched it ten times + to try to understand where it went wrong.

The front on shot gives you a whole other understanding.

Fish places himself well , in front of Winterstien , at normal speed it looks like he gets bumped off. Not so , Ropati flying across actually blows fish out of the way which is why they both go down ( unlucky , Ropati hurts Fish too )

Bukuya races across ( good effort three Warriors making a play for the Wing in the corner )

No one is ball watching on that right edge , Fish / Ropati and Bukuya look committed to each other and it's unfortunate it unraveled the way it did.

Fish drops that bomb of course, that will come right , he's ok under the high ball generally.

Ropati won't be here next year. Kata / Laumape really need to push Hurrell for that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
When he was at his peak '( that was in his youth in a Titans Jumper btw ) he was a running threat and much admired for his ticker in D , I remember fearing friend when we played the Titans.
Besides his defensive work rate and remember he would have been paired with Luck at the time if he wasn't injured for the majority of the time, the main reason I was so keen on his recruitment was the plays he would do from dummy half. Whenever we would play the Titans he would cause us all sorts of trouble around the ruck with bringing guys inside etc. We haven't seen much of that, nor have we seen much dynamic running from dummy half over the years. Bluey stuck up for him in one Radio Sport interview that he doesn't need to run he guides us around the field; the next couple of weeks he's running a lot more.

Recruiting him after the grand final appearance had me excited as he could take some of the organising off Johnson as hookers were becoming even more important to getting teams around the park.

He's been solid and consistent since he's been here but not as dynamic as what we are used to out of dummy half. Besides Robbie Mears and PJ Marsh we have been used to having two dummy halves and it works well for the Warriors. Elliott was quoted that it was hard last year to get Friend off the field to get Godinet (at the start of last year he was one of our few attacking threats) on well if he does that with an experienced player like Leuluai he may find himself offside with the coach and in NSW Cup.

I'd like to see us use two dummy halves and it would be interesting to see how Friends game changes when his workload decreases.