General Warriors Season 2014 Discussion

Dallin Watene Zelezniak is also coming through. Panthers fans are stoking on him already. Ironically, it reminds me of how we were all screaming for Locke to come into first grade.

Reactions: 1 user

Jordan G

Dallin Watene Zelezniak is also coming through. Panthers fans are stoking on him already. Ironically, it reminds me of how we were all screaming for Locke to come into first grade.

So he'll be a winger who won't actually play fullback until all other options are decimated by injuries?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler

But Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has his head screwed on bigtime. Good kid from a really humble family. The only concern is whether he takes time off to do a mission. Gould is a huge fan and apparently offered him a 10 year contract???

I just thought about Dallin Watene-Zelezniak too. In my opinion he will develop into a better player than Locke. Lockey hasn't really kicked on sadly. Penrith got a heap young fast elusive backs coming through. I'd save the money I was prepared to spend on Locke and invest in them.

Inruin

Contributor
Locke won't be going anywhere this year IMO. wouldn't surprise me to see him go off to the dogs, raiders or cowboys after that though

Zelezniak
But Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has his head screwed on bigtime. Good kid from a really humble family. The only concern is whether he takes time off to do a mission. Gould is a huge fan and apparently offered him a 10 year contract???

There was also this article last year. He may not kick on, but if he does we're looking pretty good for a fullback in the future between Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Hoffman, Locke and even Beale.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9055786/Australian-whiz-kid-on-the-radar-of-Kiwis-coach

Penrith teenager Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is in demand to pledge his allegiance to New Zealand after he was sought out by Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney for a patriotic-charged meeting two weeks ago.

The fact Kearney, and his right-hand man Tony Iro, had monitored the fullback's form in the NRL's under-20 competition confirmed suggestions Watene-Zelezniak, who has only just become eligible for the Panthers' first grade team by turning 18, is highly rated among the code's most promising junior players.

It has also heightened expectations he could be blooded in first grade before the season's end although Penrith have second-tier salary cap problems which may prevent him even being eligible.

Last year his manager Tyran Smith, a former Kiwis international, predicted the teenager of New Zealand and Polish ancestry was blessed with the traits to be the next William Hopoate. Since then others had tried to find their own comparisons.

His Patrician Brothers' Blacktown High School coach Peter Ross declared last month that Watene-Zelezniak was the best teenager he'd seen play rugby league since Brad Fittler and added he also resembled the former Canberra Raiders fullback Brett Mullins.

Smith said Kearney and Iro had successfully stirred the whiz-kid's sense of "belonging" to New Zealand during their lengthy meeting in Sydney. "Dallin met with Steve Kearney and Tony Iro because they want him to align himself to New Zealand," Smith said.

"People have said he might miss out on a lot by not playing State of Origin but, sometimes, when it comes from within you can't put a price on it.

"It was a good meeting because it allowed Dallin to realise his options, and that he was wanted by the Kiwis after he played for NSW and was picked for the upcoming Australian Schoolboys tour of New Zealand. They've allowed for him to make what will eventually be an educated decision."

Watene-Zelezniak, who has averaged 200 metres per National Youth Competition game, has shown enough for insiders to expect he would eventually shunt Penrith's boom rookie Matt Moylan from the club's No 1 jersey and into the halves.

The emerging Penrith star wasn't the only Australian-based player of Kiwi heritage on Kearney's radar. Smith said it was clear Kearney and Iro had a long list of talented young rookies they were keen to conscript. "When Dallin was approached it was clear they'd identified players eligible for New Zealand who are in the Australian system," Smith said.

"Dallin was born in New Zealand and his family came over here when he was young but Steve and Tony made it clear they considered him a player of exceptional talent." Sun-Herald

- © Fairfax NZ News

Go The Mighty Warriors

Attachments

• DSC_0584.JPG
    DSC_0584.JPG
    748.4 KB · Views: 2
Sweet first up game, here's an article:

Eels slip past Warriors

They were good, they were bad and often quite ugly and, in the end, disappointing.

They have historically not coped well with increased expectations - the Warriors were being talked about pre-season as at least playoff contenders and possibly even top-four material after their 48-4 demolition of Brisbane a fortnight ago - and were inexplicably flat and disjointed tonight.

They couldn't cope with the Eels' aggression and will need to improve their attitude and execution against the Dragons next weekend at Eden Park.

Tonight's loss continues a poor sequence in opening games of the season.

The last time they won their opening match was against the Eels in 2009, and they have won only two first-round matches in the last 12 years.

It's still far too early to make judgements on this side, and there is enough quality to turn things around, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

The Eels will be better than the past two seasons, when they collected the wooden spoon, but they still aren't expected to threaten the top eight and the Warriors have talked repeatedly about wanting to start this season well.

They have put an accent on defence but were dreadfully inept in their opening 20 minutes as they conceded three tries and it put them on the back foot from the outset.

Their right edge was a huge issue last season and it didn't start well but the left edge was also badly exposed as most of Parramatta's tries came down the flanks.

Their defence stiffened - it needed to - for a time and they were in the game at halftime as they trailed by 14-12. An eight-point try helped - Carlos Tuimavave copped a suspected broken nose in the act of scoring, giving Shaun Johnson a penalty from in front of the posts immediately after landing the conversion.

But the Eels took control in the second half as Semi Radradra and Vai Toutai both snared hat-tricks. Radradra's came very simply as he was the beneficiary of spilled bombs from Glen Fisiiahi and then Sam Tomkins.

There had been so much anticipation around Tomkins' debut and he won't look back fondly on this match. He will play a huge role in their gameplan this season, and few fullbacks play in the line as much as Tomkins, and showed some slick handling to lay on a couple of tries but also had some nervy moments and was easily beaten when trying to defend one try.

Supporting the Warriors has been a rollercoaster ride and, on the evidence of this match, it won't be any different in 2014.

Eels 36 (Semi Radradra 3, Vai Toutai 3, Jarryd Hayne tries; Corey Norman 2 gls, Joseph Paulo 2 gls) Warriors 16 (Glen Fisiiahi, Carlos Tuimavave, Manu Vatuvei tries; Shaun Johnson 2 gls). HT: 14-12.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11216825

On Live Sport Robbie Rakete said to Chad, you played in the 9's.
He did not play in the 9's. Come on get your fact straight before an interview.
I'm not surprised our sports journalists getting their facts wrong. It's usually quite funny how the players ignore the incorrect fact and carry on answering the question.

The debate at the moment with the All Blacks not performing in Super Rugby people bring up the NRL players needing to perform week in week out (well Warriors being the exception:(). Mark Richardson's argument on Radio Sport was that all of the NRL players start the pre-season at the same time compared to the union players who come back and different times due to the end of year tests.

Didn't the Warriors start the pre-season with only 6 players?

The Union guys have a long season and at the end of the year and play more of a variety of opponents due to union being played in more countries. But the league guys are usually in England playing tests at a similar time and probably finish at a similar time due to when the NRL and Super League seasons finish. Last year the World Cup finished a week after the All Blacks last test.

Mark Richardson brought this up again with Nathan Friend who ignored the union part and compared when our players came back against the other NRL clubs. Probably the best way to deal with it.

I'm not surprised our sports journalists getting their facts wrong. It's usually quite funny how the players ignore the incorrect fact and carry on answering the question.

The debate at the moment with the All Blacks not performing in Super Rugby people bring up the NRL players needing to perform week in week out (well Warriors being the exception:(). Mark Richardson's argument on Radio Sport was that all of the NRL players start the pre-season at the same time compared to the union players who come back and different times due to the end of year tests.

Didn't the Warriors start the pre-season with only 6 players?

The Union guys have a long season and at the end of the year and play more of a variety of opponents due to union being played in more countries. But the league guys are usually in England playing tests at a similar time and probably finish at a similar time due to when the NRL and Super League seasons finish. Last year the World Cup finished a week after the All Blacks last test.

Mark Richardson brought this up again with Nathan Friend who ignored the union part and compared when our players came back against the other NRL clubs. Probably the best way to deal with it.
Robbie Rakete isnt a sports journalist, hes a tv presenter (used to do kids shows) that got a job on the radio as a dj.

* post moved from wrong thread*

I think a lot of what's happened with our team is multi layered and you could spend a day picking it apart.

I don't think it's uncorrectable this year. I would Like some of the competition for spots intensified in the Forwards in the same way it has been with the Fullback position.

There are two competitions , the NRL and ESL with opportunities for astute signings , and we've seen our club try to go for Fensom so there is a will in our management to look externally. I'll spare people the ESL plug , other than to say they have a lot of good aggressive players, in their top forward packs, and on the international stage, no one could question that they hold their own against the rest.

There is a will and a gate way opened since Tomkins came here on an early release to go out and get someone good . experienced , highly rated, from the same competition tomorrow....as ramraider posted , there are also lots of rejigs for fowards between Australian clubs coming up.
We have two fullbacks not playing fullback in a competition full of decent forwards and short on Fullbacks. This year we are in a stronger position to do something about that imbalance.
We saw in the Eels game our pack Mentally dominated , out competed, but it didn't end there....the 'out enthused' problem pervaded across the park.
Not everyone was mentally off in that game.
Sam Rapira showed up to play. He sent the first runner from the field , our tails looked up...our boys looked fired up.....Carlos leaks like a sieve......the whole team is sprinting back to recover fifty meters of lost ground.
Our forwards try to run straight.....the Eels Markers can see Friend passing without taking a step and offering variation.....they race out and cut down the Warriors forwards on the advantage line......one of those suicide straight runs saw Matulino chopped down hard around the legs, he wasn't running like a poof.....the tackler bounced off.....but as he fell his mate had time to finish Matulino off.

In the modern game , I don't care how big your forwards are.....if their hookers delivery from Dummy half is readable , they'll get Murdered by fired up teams.
The secound time the Eels have the ball , they go at Carlos and score at the other end of the field , heads drop , lungs are burning , deep seated post Warriors traumatic stress disorder kicks in....we have to rely on people like Mannering and Vatuvei to play like looneys to hang in there. It gets worse when those men drop balls and Afro man drops his balls.

Before we write our team off , lets pray Leuluai offers variation at the ruck for our forwards to run off lets hope when we have centers who can tackle and form partnerships with wingers....that we will see the forwards just getting on with their jobs.
I like the way Charlie Gub plays, he looks the goods. There are people with big question marks over their heads , Gub should be pushing them out of the team.
Lastly, Friend is an admirable player, Godinet comes on....different hooker......variation at dummy half.....the go forward has the illusion of speeding up ( really they are running at Marker defenders in two minds ) the Warriors start winning periods and momentum in games.
Feleti is another kettle of fish..... Looks like Sonny Bill in the preseason, plays like an Eel in round one. Lets hope he has that out of his system. If I were his coach.....I'd be tempted to say....keep that up and you won't be here to attend the next Eel reunion as a Warrior.

The best thing about this year is we get another go at the Tigers / Eels / Dragons / type sides......if we fail to beat them at least one out of two, then the Owners will be out on a buying spree in the offseason ( New Coach , New playing roster they would have no other choice ).

Reactions: 3 users
Not 100% sure where to post this one:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11219499

New Warriors recruit Sam Tomkins will provide exclusive content for the New Zealand Herald in the upcoming months, giving readers a unique insight into his life as a professional sports person, a newcomer to New Zealand, and as a Vodafone Warrior.
Tomkins has been signed on as a brand ambassador for the Herald with the media company extending its sponsorship with the club until the end of the 2016 NRL season.
In a joint announcement APN NZ CEO Martin Simons and Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said they were excited about continuing a partnership which began in 2006.
Simons said he was thrilled with the Herald's on-going position as major sponsor and official media partner, adding the relationship continued to offer great value to the Herald and its readers.
"Renewing our sponsorship is the natural progression for our long and proud relationship with the club," he said.

"Going forward we are focused on providing our readers with even better access to content and experiences with the team".
Tomkins will front the New Zealand Herald's new marketing campaign showcasing the key benefit of the relationship: "The Herald gets you closer."
Tomkins said he was really excited about working with the New Zealand Herald to give an insight into the world of professional rugby league.
"I hope to bring the readers closer to the players and the team and help us to get closer to Vodafone Warriors members and fans."
Simons said the Warriors' heavy involvement in the community and their work and commitment on and off the field made them the perfect partner organisation.
Scurrah said the Vodafone Warriors looked forward to working with the Herald to further enhance their relationship.
"It's terrific that we've been able to extend our partnership with APN through the New Zealand Herald, the Herald on Sunday and its digital properties," he said.
"Between us we have some exciting plans and concepts as we work together to further develop and maximise the value of our association.
"There are enormous benefits in what is an extremely important sponsorship area for both partners."

I was wondering when something like this was going to happen - Tomkins had quite a few major media commitments in the UK - his own TV series, newspaper columns, etc - and no doubt he was going to be looking (or indeed offered) to do that kind of work, over here. Great for the club all-round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Danpatmac

I wonder if that means they will put more effort into getting their facts right?

Reactions: 3 users