General Warriors Season 2014 Discussion

With the pre-season/off season finishing, almost, I'd thought we can end those threads and start the Main Season 2014 Discussion Thread. Lets get it on.

Just wondering anyones thoughts on whether we should be worried about the eels?? they ambushed us last year and looked to have some young exciting talent at the nines. Im thinking we should be able to take care of them fairly smartly though.

A good start is critical this year and the draw is in our favour. Smoking the eels will give us a nines like crowd at the garden of Eden where we can put st George to the sword...then confidence will reign amongst players and fans as Matty gets nothing but love on this site all the way to the GF...or not.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering anyones thoughts on whether we should be worried about the eels?? they ambushed us last year and looked to have some young exciting talent at the nines. Im thinking we should be able to take care of them fairly smartly though.
The Eels will be rubbish this year, but that has no bearing on how we will perform which is, as always, all that matters.

Reactions: 1 user
A good start is critical this year and the draw is in our favour. Smoking the eels will give us a nines like crowd at the garden of Eden where we can put st George to the sword...then confidence will reign amongst players and fans as Matty gets nothing but love on this site all the way to the GF...or not.
Amen to that. Starting well and being consistent a must this year. Should b a top 5 side if we have sorted our defence and stay injury free.

A lot being said about the dge defence with one of the main problems being communication and direction. Surely that is why they have recruited Tomkins and Townsend for their on field direction as well as their playing talent. I expect a lot more assertiveness this year in defence than previous, shuffle shuffle mumble mumble, sorry bro.

If they have the structure in place, and the communication going, then it shouldn't be an issue who of Carlos, Konnie or Ngani are the centres. Ropati is a valid bench option for his utlity value and ability to play hooker.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah the edge defence is a real worry stil in my mind. If Hurrell starts getting caught out again then it could be a long season. You are dead right. Assertiveness is a major key to get right. Need a lot more chatter this year.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
The Eels will be rubbish this year, but that has no bearing on how we will perform which is, as always, all that matters.
They were rubbish last year as well but that didnt stop them belting us. Can you believe they only won 5 games last year! Cant believe one of them was against us...

Reactions: 1 user
We can discuss how good we were against Brisbane or how bad they were but we won't know until we see how the Broncos go against the Bulldogs on Friday and if we perform on Sunday away from home. From now on shit gets real.

The main thing we need is that attacking structure against the broncos to be the standard each week. We had options on both sides of the park and were able to move the ball quickly from one side to the other. We had plans of what we wanted to do with the ball instead of "winging it".

Defensively hopefully the addition of Tomkins and Townsend help with our lack of talk. Hopefully the players are fitter and can keep their concentration levels up as physically they can match it on Defence most of our issues are decision making issues.

Hopefully with our draw we are not playing catch up like most other years. We have a lot more games against the perceived weaker teams this year. I don't want to hear casual sports fans when they hear the result that "The Warriors lose to the crap teams and perform and beat the top teams".

With our draw we need to steam roll the poor teams and keep our for and against up. Against the top teams we need to know we are going to get a performance where we are competitive.

I wasn't on this site at the start of last season but things have definitely picked up around here this week. Like every team in the comp there is a lot to look forward to; I think we can be quietly confident things are working in our favour that we can turn to lean years around.

On Sterlo the only two to pick the Warriors in the top eight this year was Matty Johns and Brandy Alexander.

Johnson and Tongkins look good'

The rest of the panel joked " Good Luck "

that's good for us. These pricks wont know what hit em.

Reactions: 5 users
Surprising that Johns is picking us. He was belting us the entire 2012 season, from preseason til finish. For some reason, him jumping on the Warriors bandwagon makes me feel a slight more optimistic. Brady usually hates us as well and says we're going to fail. Probably the best two blokes to have backing us, as little as these things mean.

Reactions: 4 users
Reputations may count for little if the competition for places in the Warriors side continues once the season gets underway.

Four days out from their opening game, coach Matt Elliott says everything about their build up has been different to last year and he feels miles better about where they are.

Elliott says players like Manu Vatuvei deserves a little bit of slack, but there are others gunning for his place.

He says someone like John Palavi demanded to be included.

"I had no choice, I had no choice but to pick him. Not because it was just my choice but also because players came and said he's got to be in the team.

"So, pretty fair endorsement."

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/league/...-palavi-demanded-to-be-included-says-elliott/

Having players say Palavi has to be in the team is good for John but otherwise rings alarm bells.

How does that work ?

Coach we want player blah blah coz he is cool.

On Sterlo the only two to pick the Warriors in the top eight this year was Matty Johns and Brandy Alexander.

Johnson and Tongkins look good'

The rest of the panel joked " Good Luck "

that's good for us. These pricks wont know what hit em.

the kunts will start fellating their own, Mateo and Lillyman near origin time. and have a good laugh replaying videos of any mistakes our polynesian boys make.

Having players say Palavi has to be in the team is good for John but otherwise rings alarm bells.

How does that work ?

Coach we want player blah blah coz he is cool.
When someone is a good fit and gives the right vibes then the senior players know and must help the coach.
I like this as it shows the culture is changing.

When someone is a good fit and gives the right vibes then the senior players know and must help the coach.
I like this as it shows the culture is changing.
I dunno bro , I'm real interested in seeing Palavi do well, but it seems a very fine line having an environment where players think they pick the team on any level.....even if it is for all the right reasons.

You know if players think their Jersey is special , and they understand they have the coach to thank for it each week....it's another step yet again to have some sway in the selection process.

If you have that illusion....then the reverse ( where players don't like someone really good ) becomes ugly.

I dunno bro , I'm real interested in seeing Palavi do well, but it seems a very fine line having an environment where players think they pick the team on any level.....even if it is for all the right reasons.

You know if players think their Jersey is special , and they understand they have the coach to thank for it each week....it's another step yet again to have some sway in the selection process.

If you have that illusion....then the reverse ( where players don't like someone really good ) becomes ugly.

I doubt the players pick the team, however every smart boss does allow input from many places, as for people within the group disliking each other that can be a part of every workplace, after all sometimes people just don't like each other, how that affects things again comes down to a boss and their management of it. Hopefully ME proves to be a smart boss.

I doubt the players pick the team, however every smart boss does allow input from many places, as for people within the group disliking each other that can be a part of every workplace, after all sometimes people just don't like each other, how that affects things again comes down to a boss and their management of it. Hopefully ME proves to be a smart boss.
Good point you and Freddie make
I guess I'm a bit jaded.
A positive is having the endorsement of your team mates puts some confidence in your stride and some respsonsibility to pay back the .................faith

Good point you and Freddie make
I guess I'm a bit jaded.
A positive is having the endorsement of your team mates puts some confidence in your stride and some respsonsibility to pay back the .................faith

Yeah that's where I think the player input is a good thing, it puts some responsibility back on the player being endorsed by his mates not to let them down.