General Warriors Salary Cap Discussion

Fonzie

Fonzie

Contributor
If we have $450k or something like that spare in our cap. If there was a certain mega prop would be expecting around $900k per year. If we got him on a mid season swap we would be likely to only pay the remainder of his contract? So $450kish. I could handle picking up a disgruntled mega prop for the second half of the season for half price.

And then used some of SJs money to keep that prop in 2020 (hopefully still keeping Shaun Johnson though!)

Reactions: fizurg and bruce
rugged

rugged

People talking about Luke's and manners cash need to remember we have made a string of upgrades

Though you would think Gavets cash mudy be available. Unless we were going to be over for 2019

Reactions: tajhay

WarriorBall

Surely must have Gavets money to spend?

Brian Smith mentioned today they could potentially go back to market as players become available once the coaching merry go round is finalised.

He mentioned they feel they have adequate cover for Gavet but it does sound like they’re keeping some powder dry to have a dip later on.

Sammyw11

Brian Smith mentioned today they could potentially go back to market as players become available once the coaching merry go round is finalised.

He mentioned they feel they have adequate cover for Gavet but it does sound like they’re keeping some powder dry to have a dip later on.

this is exactly what i took out of Smiths interview too

Reactions: Inruin
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
No one has every actually heard of a front loaded contract either. I think it’s forum myth more than anything.
Only ever heard of back ended contracts which we may very well be clearing room to pay for.

I have no doubt that clubs may front end a little to use up free cap. Have to remember the salary cap is a use it or lose it thing. You can't save half your cap for 5 years then splurge on the NRL Dream Team. You also have to remember that 90% of your cap must be used on player contracts with the remainder free for support staff or structures.

To me the money we had from Simon Mannering has been spent. All the rest of our departures were low end players who have been replaced. As for James Gavet's salary, $450K is a mid-range contract these days that we will spend on a like player or two fringe 1st graders...

love4thegame

love4thegame

I had a theory we have alot more cap issues than has been made public (big surprise) - it runs back to when we had foran, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, johnson , luke blair harris green etc with some contracts being back ended . By the time you do some jnr upgrades on the way through we are well and truly stretched from the last 2-3 yrs of spend... which is why I see a young half perhaps taking a no7 shirt

Reactions: Off The Bench
fizurg

fizurg

I wonder if the naming of the top 30 will eventually end up with the players contract values being known too.

Diesel

Diesel

If it’s from Ali’s NRL rumours on Facebook , most people (and rightly so) talk about the Roosters, but it’s Manly & Sharks are peoples guesses

Reactions: bruce
snake77

snake77

Is this rumour just general overspending or cheating the cap?

There is usually a few teams that go over the cap due to guys getting upgrades due to making rep squads or calling up more players than anticipated. We are under the new squad naming system now so the second one may not be as relevant.

If the Sharks get done again for salary cap issues. I'd assume it's from information covered from the current investigation that has found issues with different years.

Manly have been a mess the last few years so wouldn't be surprised.

If it's the Roosters. Everyone has always wanted them to get done. That would be a big scalp.

We seemed to have cap issues. Management have said the cap was tight. Since then Gavet and Johnson have gone and the talk has been about that being alleviated.

I'm not concerned with the recruitment for 2018. Most clubs and players had deals expiring around the time of the new broadcast deal so they could work with the new salary cap.