General Warriors Salary Cap Discussion

Aah I see my mistake earlier, forgot there's no 19 Jersey which is why I was 1 off.

I thought I read clubs need to name 29 by now? Saw an article the Titans are stuggling as it is unfair to sign players that are not in their long term plans. One year contracts? Their coach also said its hard for the rural clubs like them and Newcastle. Everyone has a poor me recruitment excuse in this competition.

They were supposed to have 29 locked in at the start of the season, but the titans only have 26 or 27 so are in breach but not currently facing any penalties.

Reactions: mt.wellington
They were supposed to have 29 locked in at the start of the season, but the titans only have 26 or 27 so are in breach but not currently facing any penalties.
I was wandering that when I saw the Titans being short 3-4 players as the articles earlier in the year were about how difficult it would be for exiled players to come back. Guys like Carney (before the Cowboys) or Dave Taylor as teams need to name at least 29 players. So there was a bit of room for mid season signings but not a lot.

Think it might have been mentioned on NRL 360 from Paul Kent when talking about the Titans that it was the first year so teams were still getting use to the new system.

Beale will definitely be in the first grade squad. I'm guessing Lawton would be, we should know by next week depending on if Kearney sticks with Cook or goes with Lawton to cover for Luke.

Reactions: fizurg

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
So with Lawton confirmed in the top 30 now. How many spots are left unknown?
Another 3 spots left now. Used have played. Named have been in the 22 man team list but are yet to play...

USED

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitua
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Blake Green
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Adam Blair
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. Tohu Harris
13. Ligi Sao
14. Sam Cook
15. Leivaha Pulu
16. Sam Lisone
17. Bunty Afoa
18. Jazz Tevaga
19. Agnatius Paasi
20. Mason Lino
21. Chris Satae
22. Simon Mannering
23. Anthony Gelling
24. Albert Vete
25. Joseph Vuna

NAMED

26. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
27. Karl Lawton

UNUSED

Blake Ayshford
James Bell
Gerard Beale
Matiu Love-Henry
Zac Santo
Manaia Cherrington
Hayze Perham
King Vuniyawa
Patrick Sipley
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

EXEMPTION

Nathaniel Roache

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I believe the three remaining in the 30 would be Beale, Ashford and Perham (possibly Love-Henry), by the way, Karl Lawton is still listed in unused as well as named.
Edited. Thanks.

I reckon you got the first two right. The trend seems to be that teams don't name a 30th player incase they get a mid-season transfer so I believe that one spot won't be named or used until very late in the season if at all...

Another 3 spots left now. Used have played. Named have been in the 22 man team list but are yet to play...

USED

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitua
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Blake Green
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Adam Blair
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. Tohu Harris
13. Ligi Sao
14. Sam Cook
15. Leivaha Pulu
16. Sam Lisone
17. Bunty Afoa
18. Jazz Tevaga
19. Agnatius Paasi
20. Mason Lino
21. Chris Satae
22. Simon Mannering
23. Anthony Gelling
24. Albert Vete
25. Joseph Vuna

NAMED

26. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
27. Karl Lawton

UNUSED

Blake Ayshford
James Bell
Gerard Beale
Matiu Love-Henry
Zac Santo
Manaia Cherrington
Hayze Perham
King Vuniyawa
Patrick Sipley
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

EXEMPTION

Nathaniel Roache
what does exemption mean

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Updated list...

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitua
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Blake Green
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Adam Blair
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. Tohu Harris
13. Ligi Sao
14. Sam Cook
15. Leivaha Pulu
16. Sam Lisone
17. Bunty Afoa
18. Jazz Tevaga
19. Agnatius Paasi
20. Mason Lino
21. Chris Satae
22. Simon Mannering
23. Anthony Gelling
24. Albert Vete
25. Joseph Vuna
26. Karl Lawton
27. Gerard Beale

NAMED

28. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

UNUSED

Blake Ayshford
James Bell
Matiu Love-Henry
Manaia Cherrington
Hayze Perham
King Vuniyawa
Patrick Sipley
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

EXEMPTION

Nathaniel Roache

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Anyone know if we get a spot freed up with Albert Vete leaving?

Updated list...

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitua
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Blake Green
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Adam Blair
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. Tohu Harris
13. Ligi Sao
14. Sam Cook
15. Leivaha Pulu
16. Sam Lisone
17. Bunty Afoa
18. Jazz Tevaga
19. Agnatius Paasi
20. Mason Lino
21. Chris Satae
22. Simon Mannering
23. Anthony Gelling
24. Albert Vete
25. Joseph Vuna
26. Karl Lawton
27. Gerard Beale

NAMED

28. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
29. Blake Ayshford

UNUSED

James Bell
Matiu Love-Henry
Manaia Cherrington
Hayze Perham
King Vuniyawa
Patrick Sipley
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

EXEMPTION

Nathaniel Roache

Reactions: Sup42 and fizurg

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
i dont know, but you would have to think the warriors would have to as he was one of the 30 and now isnt. Therefor it makes sense that another player can be given his number in the 30.

Reactions: fizurg

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
nope turns out i was wrong based on this article, though there isnt a lot of information out there about this stuff.

"Clubs will be required to contract a minimum of 21 players by November 1 and 29 players by March 1, leaving one spot available up until June 30. The idea is for clubs to persevere with the players on their books, rather than look for a quick fix by trading them unless there are exceptional circumstances."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...system-but-war-continues-20170705-gx5a0m.html

given that Vete played for the warriors he must be contracted on their books. I guess now he is contracted on the Storms books as well? I can't see the NRL saying that moving Vete on is exceptional circumstances, and as the deadline has now passed i would imagine that what they got is what they're stuck with unless there's a serious run of injuries.

Stalefish540

Contributor
Surely Sao must get a run in the team soon, even if it’s off the bench.

I take he is on the outer for some reason. Early season form was promising.
Hes played 4 games, wonder if like Satae he plays 5 and activates a clause for a new contract.

Although in the Samoa game he was fairly underwhelming compared to our other Warriors.

Reactions: fizurg and Sup42
nope turns out i was wrong based on this article, though there isnt a lot of information out there about this stuff.
Not surprised the details aren't clear. My understanding is if clubs have 29 by June 30 and they don't sign someone else they need to add someone from within their current roster. So surely if someone is signed and you go from 29 to 28 players you would expect the club would be able to name 2 extra players.

A few months ago the Titans were quite low on the number they had named. They didn't get in trouble due to it being the first year for this arrangement. I would expect there are a few things to be tidied up.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
My understanding is if clubs have 29 by June 30 and they don't sign someone else they need to add someone from within their current roster. So surely if someone is signed and you go from 29 to 28 players you would expect the club would be able to name 2 extra players.
If being named means you are in the top 30 (28. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, 29. Blake Ayshford) that leaves us one spot. Who of the following list is everyone keen on. My money is on Patrick Sipley with Bunty Afoa and Tohu Harris injured...

UNUSED

James Bell
Matiu Love-Henry
Manaia Cherrington
Hayze Perham
King Vuniyawa
Patrick Sipley
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

Ok, I’m not normally one to buy into conspiracy theory’s but I do have to wonder if there is some type of contractual reason Ligi Sao isn’t being played this year.
The team have made it clear they are in a tight spot salary cap wise next year.
If Sao does have some type of guaranteed contract upgrade for next season based on games played, then it really would explain his disappearance from the playing 17.

If that was the case with sao (not saying it's not) and the clubs made up their mind that he won't feature in first grade again this year, wouldn't they have looked to release him before vete?
What's the point keeping him around?
I'm a fan so I hope that's not the case and he gets a run this week.