Rumour Warriors Recruitment Discussion and Rumour Mill - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
750K for Merrin might be overs, but honestly, not by that much - not in today's salary cap climate.

The one thing thing the Warriors need more than anything, is a consistent metre eater (and indeed someone than can keep the play alive) - Merrin brings this.

I guarantee you that if we'd had more forwards consistently gaining 100 meters, game after game, we'd have made the finals last year... We all saw some of the numbers our props were putting up, they were at times abysmal and gave Shaun Johnson and ST no platform to work off... I don't care how much we offer Merrin (and indeed we seem to have some coin to throw around) - if he helps us make the finals, it'll be worth it.

Wahat could be presented to Merrin.
1. We have the space in the Salary Cap to pay you overs (I suppose). A 3 year deal which will mean you will be 28 and still marketable at the end of contract
2. The Warriors are on the rise, it will happen without you, however, we believe you will help it happen faster.
3. Although no longer based in Sydney you will be there close to every second week with the advantage of not having to watch over your back for the Sydney gutter press all the time.
4. Your exposure to Rep selectors for Origin and Kangaroos will be enhanced by being with the Warriors. Like Foran and DCE marketing can promote the propping team of you (NSW), Jacob Lillyman (QLD) & Ben Matulino (NZ). Never mind on field success.
5. We can give Sally a kick arse Bendon contract from Uncle Eric. She travels internationally all the time anyway so a second base of Auckland is sensible. Especially as NZ has a big surfing fraternity that will further enhance commercial opportunity.
6. As a fellow Australian Rep player we will pay for Steve Price to go to you to discuss the pros and cons of playing in NZ.

If we can afford Merrin we should have a crack at signing him...

Him in our pack fills the last major gap in our team and gives us a real shot at the title...
Not quite the last crack.

I think we still need 1 more prop, and definitely need to find a hooker who is unquestionable.

Its tiring thinking about whether Friend will have to keep making 50 tackles and trying to distribute, or if Leuluai will smuther Johnson and if he is capable of 80 minutes, or whether Havili will ever crack it, or if Benry can fill in on a regular basis to give Leuluai or Havili a rest, or whether Kata should be developed into a dummy half, or if Roache can be brought up, or if there is something in Lolohea that could be developed in that direction, or if Manu should be moved into hooker;), or ............................. (oh, my head!!!)

We need a hooker who we all know without question is the strongest distributor we have, and can tackle dominantly, and can do the job (whether for 80 minutes, or with help from a benchie).

After that, I want to see us find an assistant coach/personal trainer/motivational psychologist-type person to develop the minds of our younger stars into attacking and defending destruction machines who only want to know winning, and will never give up without loosing a limb.

Don't why your hating on Michael Witt, in the first season 2007 he had over 90% GK and over 150 points to his name. I'd say that was better than most in the NRL
Well if that's what you want out of your halves maybe we should throw the 5/8's jersey Darryl Halligans way this year. He might even match michael witts career tally of 2 try assists if we give him a couple of seasons.
I actually reckon his commentary would improve if he was commentating while playing, couldn't get much worse anyway

No player in history has ever got us a premiership. Not even the god Stacey.

And no one player will ever get any club a premiership, they may help to get you close come finals time, but if the skill/effort isn't there in the majority of the squad it's not going to happen. The Warriors seem to often have the skill but after 20 years of this ride who can honestly say we always have the effort? We need players that will chase a runaway knowing they aren't quick enough to catch them even if it just means holding the try out wide or they have a Nathan Merritt moment and lose the ball while they admire themselves on the big screen. Spend the money where it needs to be spent.

Well if that's what you want out of your halves maybe we should throw the 5/8's jersey Darryl Halligans way this year. He might even match michael witts career tally of 2 try assists if we give him a couple of seasons.
I actually reckon his commentary would improve if he was commentating while playing, couldn't get much worse anyway

Just saying at least he did something unlike some of the rush buy horror stories of recent years..
Neilson, Seymour, Stacey's return...

Reactions: Kalcod and Defence
Fish - unfortunate, but for me it's a bit of a no brainer sadly.

Matagi - No surprise either. His charges are nice, but defensively he's just not where he needs to be and can't play long minutes

Laumape - A little surprised by this one. He came into first grade and has hardly put a foot wrong since. Hasn't excelled as much as I'd like to see, so it must be a case of paying too much for not enough return. Either that or we intend to make a play at Matai with Kata rated higher (or as Mt W has already said, Lolohea is seen as a long term centre rather than half)

Rapira - Yeah no surprise. Can't stay on the field and struggles to produce his best when there

Faitala-Mariner - Another slight surprise, only because he's such a young player (first year out of NYC this year) it's a bit early to make a definitive call IMO. The thing that stands out about him is the NYC final we lost to Penrith. He was the only forward who got over the top of him and during the second half he was playing a lone hand. I can't see him costing so much that he's not worth keeping around, but if he finds an offer elsewhere best of luck to him.
Yeah. Agree with all your comments. Ngani is a shock. He has progressed well-better than I expected. But Doyle's actions seem to echo my gut feelings about all those players over the past 2 years. From the first season I saw Ngani in NYC I thought he was better at the basics than 99% of young guys. Same with Fusitua actually. But I felt his attack was not going to get much better and he might become a journeyman. His height limits him also. He is vulnerable if a decent jumper competes with him in the air. That said he looks like a good learner and deserves a chance to prove he can overcome his weaknesses.

RFM I had high hopes for. Fish also. What a shame but understandable. Looks like we are not going to hang on to mediocrity any more. You have a couple of seasons to prove yourself or move on. That's professionalism.

More evidence we are moving in the right direction. Matagi and Rapira aren't what we need. We need more big boys up front who can bend the line and not take backward steps. Good for the NYC boys to learn early that just being one of the Bros with potential is not enough any more.

Mutts only agreed to 2 years. A sign neither party is sure about the other. Watch that space..

Kata and Havili are the ones that intrigue me. What does Doyle think of them? Kata looked good in 9's but for mine he and Havili have the wrong physiques for their positions.

Lolohea and Hurrell could be the Poly version of Gasnier/Cooper. Or maybe Meninga /Daley.

$750k for Merrin would probably be one of the more sane figures I've heard relative to actual ability of late. Honestly I would take him at around $750k 10x out of 10 over Foran for $1m+.

A few of us on this forum have likened Merrin's potential to Corey Parker and the reality is that he could hit that potential in the coming season. His work rate is already at an elite level and he has an attacking component to his game that is also well above average. If someone has the time to compare his stats to other forwards then I think he would struggle to be topped in the entire comp.

Also if it wasn't for NSW's obsession with ball hogs Gallen and Bird then I think Merrin would be far more established at Origin level already.

For mine, the biggest plus in Ngani's game is his combo with Manu, particularly in defence. Ngani just knows what Manu is going to do, and compensates. I personally think it is the best Manu combo ever.

Ngani is also my favourite centre. I believe he will be around a lot longer than Konrad because he has smarts. Konrad's body will give in eventually. I just hope Ngani is ours long-term.
But Konnie will do more in 3 seasons than Ngani will in 10. Ngani is another journeyman.

There seems to be a lot of envy on here about the possibility of Merrin getting a big contract... If we could get Merrin for 300k would anyone be objecting?

And looking at last seasons stats, we do need him...

Rapira averaged 42 mins a game for 83 meters.
Matagi averaged 35 mins a game for 82 meters.
Mutts averaged 54 mins a game for 95 meters.

Only Lillyman did the business averaging 46 mins a game for 118 meters.

Mutts was claiming an injury cloud, after his poor diet, after losing his best mate Rusty.... after.... after..... after......

Of our other big men...

Lousie averaged 35 mins a game for 55 meters
Ikahihifo averaged 45 mins a game for 70 meters
Gubb is average at best.
Lisone looks good but is still unproven. Is he going to step up and hit 150 meters in a game straight away?
Vete was awesome in the U20's but hasn't really kicked on at all playing against men.

We can't be leaving the meters game up to our edge forwards and our outside backs and expect to win this comp...

If we truly want to win this comp I say sign him up.

Making metres up the middle is Vatuveis job though..

Seriously though, attack wasn't the Warriors problem last year because Manu and Konrad are such a handful. Need to get out of the danger zone?, its not the forwards hitting it up, its normally Manu.

The Warriors need to sort out the defence but it always seems like when the defence is going well the attack sucks and vise versa, like all the gas is used doing one thing or the other. Manu last year was about the only guy who hammered it up on attack and came in and hit hard on defence, he had a great year last year.

Edit: so I'd have to say yes to Merrin if he is going to improve the defence and take the pressure off the outside backs on attack

Its tiring thinking about whether Friend will have to keep making 50 tackles and trying to distribute, or if Leuluai will smuther Johnson and if he is capable of 80 minutes, or whether Havili will ever crack it, or if Benry can fill in on a regular basis to give Leuluai or Havili a rest, or whether Kata should be developed into a dummy half, or if Roache can be brought up, or if there is something in Lolohea that could be developed in that direction, or if Manu should be moved into hooker;), or ............................. (oh, my head!!!)

We need a hooker who we all know without question is the strongest distributor we have, and can tackle dominantly, and can do the job (whether for 80 minutes, or with help from a benchie).
Leuluai, Havili and Henry all played against the Kangroos and didn't look out of place at all. We were competitive in those games. I think the problem isn't with hooker it's more a problem of chain of command in our spine...

This year either Leuluai or Chad needs to step up and become the leader of our spine, so that Shaun Johnson and Tomkins can float around and work their magic... or we need Foran...

I think for this reason we went better without Leuluai playing... Chad, the former captain of the Aussie U20's, is maybe more respected as our spine leader... Strange I know but that's what it looked like to me....

Maybe we just need to trade Leuluai out...

Seriously though, attack wasn't the Warriors problem last year because Manu and Konrad are such a handful. Need to get out of the danger zone?, its not the forwards hitting it up, its normally Manu.

The Warriors need to sort out the defence but it always seems like when the defence is going well the attack sucks and vise versa, like all the gas is used doing one thing or the other. Manu last year was about the only guy who hammered it up on attack and came in and hit hard on defence, he had a great year last year.
We need to move Manu to the middle and leave him on the wing at the same time... How's that cloning technology coming along?

Reactions: Afakasi247
I'm with you. He's a good player but he's not worth that money. 750k is money thee x factor game winning players receive. Not a prop. Even james Graham isn't worth 750k and that's sayin something because he's the best prop going round.

Um no actually the 'x factor players' are all going to be starting to make 1 million plus in the coming years. Anywhere between 500-750 will be for very good representative level forwards. Percentage of the cap wise 750 is barely much more than what we were paying guys like Price/Wiki/Tate etc

Problem is, we shouldn't be relying on our outside backs to do the hit-ups from our own half - that's why we need barnstorming front rowers whose only job is to take the big charges.

Not to say that these players can't help out every now-and-again, but Manu constantly bringing the ball up while our props only rack up 70-80m per game isn't good enough, and it isn't a structure which should continue. That's why signing a player of the caliber of Merrin, a origin-level forward who can charge the ball up, and play with high effort and aggression, week-in and week-out is what the Warriors forward pack needs to set the tone. Sends a message to players like Matagi, Rapira and even Mutts - meritocracy will not be tolerated under this new regime.

His price may be of concern, but I think bringing in a "marquee" forward will do much more for this team than spending over a million on Foran.

Reactions: ramps and jonno

Jordan G

Yeah. Agree with all your comments. Ngani is a shock. He has progressed well-better than I expected. But Doyle's actions seem to echo my gut feelings about all those players over the past 2 years. From the first season I saw Ngani in NYC I thought he was better at the basics than 99% of young guys. Same with Fusitua actually. But I felt his attack was not going to get much better and he might become a journeyman. His height limits him also. He is vulnerable if a decent jumper competes with him in the air. That said he looks like a good learner and deserves a chance to prove he can overcome his weaknesses.

RFM I had high hopes for. Fish also. What a shame but understandable. Looks like we are not going to hang on to mediocrity any more. You have a couple of seasons to prove yourself or move on. That's professionalism.

More evidence we are moving in the right direction. Matagi and Rapira aren't what we need. We need more big boys up front who can bend the line and not take backward steps. Good for the NYC boys to learn early that just being one of the Bros with potential is not enough any more.

Mutts only agreed to 2 years. A sign neither party is sure about the other. Watch that space..

Kata and Havili are the ones that intrigue me. What does Doyle think of them? Kata looked good in 9's but for mine he and Havili have the wrong physiques for their positions.

Lolohea and Hurrell could be the Poly version of Gasnier/Cooper. Or maybe Meninga /Daley.

Agree with that. We always have so many potential juniors coming through that players need to either step up or move aside. If you don't have the extra couple of percent you won't last.

Kata/Havili I would also like to know where their long term futures are viewed.

I don't think there's much to Mutts in regards to the two year contract. These days players need to be signed up well before their current contract ends, it's the nature of the beast. Signing a 2 year extension means we have him for the next 3 seasons which is a pretty standard length of time for any deal.

Reactions: ToiletDuck
Matulino will be a long serving player next year, so you could put that $200k towards Merrin's signature in reality. Helped us hold on to Mannering last season I'm assuming too.

Easily worth it.

Reactions: jonno
Status
Not open for further replies.