Rumour Warriors Recruitment Discussion and Rumour Mill - 2015 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Powell and Ryan Sutton.

RidingPie RidingPie PaulCharnock Wigan Warrior Wigan Warrior Kittwazzer Kittwazzer Leedslion007 Leedslion007 can you guys fill us in on these two? Hearing these are the two Poms we are talking to and we have actually signed them for 4 years. Ryan is the young promising prop and Sam Powell is a hooker. Meant to be here this year.

As for Matthew Lodge he isnt coming...
They have resigned for the Wigan Warriors, not us;

Warriors tie down duo

Wigan Warriors youngsters Sam Powell and Ryan Sutton have signed new contracts to remain with the Super League club.

The duo have both signed four-year deals to remain at the DW Stadium for the foreseeable future and give the Warriors a huge boost ahead of the start of the new campaign next month.

The 22-year-old Powell, who can play either half-back or hooker, became something of a regular in the Warriors side towards the end of the campaign, making 22 appearances that included starting the Grand Final defeat to St Helens in October.

Prop Sutton, who is three years younger than Powell, made his debut for the club during the Easter Monday victory over Bradford and went on to make nine league appearances throughout the rest of the campaign.

The duo were both heavily linked with a move to the NRL prior to signing their new deals and Warriors director Kris Radlinski for one was delighted to fend off the competition from the Southern Hemisphere.

He said: "We are absolutely delighted to have Sam and Ryan agree new four-year deals with the club. We have had to fend off very serious interest from clubs in Australia for both of these players which shows how highly rated they are."

The 2013 Super League winners will be hoping to use the news that the duo are to remain in Lancashire to inspire them to the victory when their 2015 campaign kicks off away at Widnes on February 5.

https://www.eatsleepsport.com/rugby-league/warriors-tie-down-duo-1877201.html#.VNbjOhZ95uY

old man was telling me that it was fox sports news trent merrin saying he hopes to have a deal done by the end of the week. the report was saying to penrith

am trying to find an accompanying article

Reactions: mt.wellington
Sam Powell and Ryan Sutton.

RidingPie PaulCharnock Wigan Warrior Kittwazzer Leedslion007 can you guys fill us in on these two? Hearing these are the two Poms we are talking to and we have actually signed them for 4 years. Ryan is the young promising prop and Sam Powell is a hooker. Meant to be here this year.

As for Matthew Lodge he isnt coming...

*Edit Wrong Warriors it seems. They both just signed for Wigan...

https://www.eatsleepsport.com/rugby-league/warriors-tie-down-duo-1877201.html#.VNbjOhZ95uY

Yeah both signed 4 year deals, still they are both very young and a few years getting hardened up in the super league won't hurt. Seems the standard for British front rowers exceeds what Aus/NZ is producing at the moment.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Uh ... what? I'm guessing you are one of those "Well, he hasn't scored 20 tries, must be a dud" types.

Benry was invaluable last year at filling in holes all over the park when we inevitably had a mid game injury. Some of his defensive efforts and 1% plays were excellent. I'm not saying he's going to win us a game singlehandedly, but he's a very handy player. Probably this generations Lance Hohaia, in that he can cover just about anything (centre, 5/8th, hooker, second row, lock) to an acceptable or better level.

Yes good at filling holes but not as good as the guy he was subbing for. I get the concept of a super sub, but i dont think Benry is there. This is the guy that they once talked about as the next captain of the Warriors. Hes good but not at the desirability level of Konni or Manu. An ok to good signing not a must have. Definitely looking more like a journeyman more and more

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
It would be nice if every single possible signing hope didn't come crashing down around us...

Seems as if any actual signing to the club has been kept very tight, which makes this thread solely about disappointment

Oh well, our hopes are pinned on you Matulino and co

• Haha
Reactions: The Stache and Nahz
Yes good at filling holes but not as good as the guy he was subbing for. I get the concept of a super sub, but i dont think Benry is there. This is the guy that they once talked about as the next captain of the Warriors. Hes good but not at the desirability level of Konni or Manu. An ok to good signing not a must have. Definitely looking more like a journeyman more and more

Well obviously he's not going to be as good as the guy he's filling in for. If he was, he'd likely be the first choice option in that position. I'm not saying he's a Hurrell 2.0 or anything, that would be ridiculous (and awesome). What I am saying is that every team needs a versatile guy that's going to hold things together when somebody goes down hurt. With the fragile nature of our backs, a forward that can slot in there is invaluable. It means that even if nobody gets hurt (seemingly a rarity for us) then he isn't a waste of a bench spot as Kata or Tui could be.

Don't mistake this as me saying Benry is the best player at the club. He's not. Not at all. I just think he's a decent player and can see why the club wants him to stick around.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Well obviously he's not going to be as good as the guy he's filling in for. If he was, he'd likely be the first choice option in that position. I'm not saying he's a Hurrell 2.0 or anything, that would be ridiculous (and awesome). What I am saying is that every team needs a versatile guy that's going to hold things together when somebody goes down hurt. With the fragile nature of our backs, a forward that can slot in there is invaluable. It means that even if nobody gets hurt (seemingly a rarity for us) then he isn't a waste of a bench spot as Kata or Tui could be.

Don't mistake this as me saying Benry is the best player at the club. He's not. Not at all. I just think he's a decent player and can see why the club wants him to stick around.

Fair point i see what your getting at, i guess i just want a perfect world where the warriors look to the NSW Cup team as the guys that can jump in and fill any vacant spots, rather than a nearly good enough player. For me a decent player is a nice to have, but i would prefer every position filled with Awesome players.

Has Foran given an indication when he'll make an announcement?

He's not coming to NZ but I want to see where that leaves other recruitment options for positions we need

tajhay

🏉
Has Foran given an indication when he'll make an announcement?
All he has stated is that he will make up his mind prior to the start of the season. With reports that Manly have made their final offers you would think that the decision is imminent. The longer it takes, it possibly gives more weight to the fact that he may be looking to go elsewhere.

Reactions: teetsbei

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Just found this about Merrin.
Fight for Merrin
Trent Merrin is fast becoming one of the most sought-after forwards in the NRL for 2016.
The Panthers have joined the Roosters and Warriors in the hunt for the burly Dragons forward as his price continues to rise.
But I’m hearing a club closer to home shape as the sneaky favourites - Cronulla.
The Sharks can offer something money can’t buy and the Panthers and Warriors can’t promise - waves for his girlfriend, surfing champ Sally Fitzgibbons.

The Roosters, however, can compete, with the likes of Bronte, Bondi and Tamarama on their doorsteps.

Just found this about Merrin.
Fight for Merrin
Trent Merrin is fast becoming one of the most sought-after forwards in the NRL for 2016.
The Panthers have joined the Roosters and Warriors in the hunt for the burly Dragons forward as his price continues to rise.
But I’m hearing a club closer to home shape as the sneaky favourites - Cronulla.
The Sharks can offer something money can’t buy and the Panthers and Warriors can’t promise - waves for his girlfriend, surfing champ Sally Fitzgibbons.

The Roosters, however, can compete, with the likes of Bronte, Bondi and Tamarama on their doorsteps.

Well, that's it then. Merrin's not coming because apparently there are no surf beaches in Auckland. :(

Jordan G

Mate, having recently turned down a better job in a different city. I can tell you that his professional surfer girlfriend will be high on his list of considerations...

Of course she would be, but that's not what I said.

If he comes, she's probably doesn't. That's a big consideration. Whether NZ has better surf than the Shire or Bondi won't be a factor big enough to sway her, and as a result, him.

In any case it's a moot point because he wants to stay in Sydney regardless of what she does. I doubt we get a single Merrin, an attached one = no chance.

Reactions: ToiletDuck
Well, that's it then. Merrin's not coming because apparently there are no surf beaches in Auckland. :(

whats wrong with PT Chev or Mission Bay?

after reading this recently,it would be fair to say all the rumours,hype & rumours in regards to any new flash signings in 2015 for the Warriors can be put to rest...i hope im wrong but it was a great rollercoaster ride in here tho wasnt it ha!~kind of like a big sky-rocket firework that was meant to go BOOOOOOM but fizzled

"There have been rumours that the Warriors could add more players to their squad for this season, with Manly centre Steve Matai the player mentioned the most, but McFadden ruled out Matai or anyone else coming and said they're sorted for 2015.

"I wouldn't think there will be anyone coming to the club this year," he said.

Last edited:
Moving from the Dragons to the Sharks would be the less disruptive for him. The Sharks already have a pretty good pack, like the Dragons it's their backline they have been concentrating their recruitment on. They have some big names it will be interesting if they can compete with the money Merrin is supposedly after.

Even if we are up there on the money side we know the Roosters will be able to fiddle the numbers and compete with us.

Our best bet would be a big deal along with a third party agreement and then try and swing a Bendon and TV deal for his girl friend. Even then it probably be hard to compete what she has in Sydney. If he is the guy the club feels they need then even with these obstacles best to press ahead and try and make things as attractive as we can and accommodate his girl friend where possible.

Moving from the Dragons to the Sharks would be the less disruptive for him. The Sharks already have a pretty good pack, like the Dragons it's their backline they have been concentrating their recruitment on. They have some big names it will be interesting if they can compete with the money Merrin is supposedly after.

Even if we are up there on the money side we know the Roosters will be able to fiddle the numbers and compete with us.

Our best bet would be a big deal along with a third party agreement and then try and swing a Bendon and TV deal for his girl friend. Even then it probably be hard to compete what she has in Sydney. If he is the guy the club feels they need then even with these obstacles best to press ahead and try and make things as attractive as we can and accommodate his girl friend where possible.

sure Gal will be in Merrins ear 24/7

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Don't want to kick-off a whole lot of posts re players we should sign but aren't linked to, however thought this rated a mention re Jason Taumalolo, given he's Auckland born and raised and has his heart with the Kiwis. I was disappointed we haven't thrown our hat in the ring, as he is the exact type of player missing from our forward pack. If we can go after Merrin for overs, I'm not sure why we're not also going after JT3, especially hearing the Cowboys aren't prepared to extend themselves to retain him...

"Taumalolo last weekend spotted in the Shire meeting with Cronulla as the Sharks join the likes of the Sydney Roosters in circling the off contract 21-year-old. The Cowboys remain confident they will retain Taumalolo and gave permission for his trip to meet clubs in Sydney last weekend, but won’t enter into a bidding war to pay overs for a lock forward."

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...215104247?nk=2ed34f97cd24f5bb4166a5f8740612c8

Don't want to kick-off a whole lot of posts re players we should sign but aren't linked to, however thought this rated a mention re Jason Taumalolo, given he's Auckland born and raised and has his heart with the Kiwis. I was disappointed we haven't thrown our hat in the ring, as he is the exact type of player missing from our forward pack. If we can go after Merrin for overs, I'm not sure why we're not also going after JT3, especially hearing the Cowboys aren't prepared to extend themselves to retain him...

"Taumalolo last weekend spotted in the Shire meeting with Cronulla as the Sharks join the likes of the Sydney Roosters in circling the off contract 21-year-old. The Cowboys remain confident they will retain Taumalolo and gave permission for his trip to meet clubs in Sydney last weekend, but won’t enter into a bidding war to pay overs for a lock forward."

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...215104247?nk=2ed34f97cd24f5bb4166a5f8740612c8

Have been saying this for a while should be chasing this guy over Foran hes a game changer in the forward pack adds something to our forwards that we dont have.

Status
Not open for further replies.