Rumour Warriors Recruitment Discussion and Rumour Mill - 2015 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is I would have shopped him around for 2016 and given his money to other players coming through. He's done his dash. No longer bends the line as much or plays the ball as quick. Pisses me off seeing him being average for us then playing the game of his career for Queensland. Utter bullshit. Get rid of him...
Players lift for SOO, same as they do for the kiwis...thats understandable..and they are one off (or three off) which makes it easier to lift. Sustaining that for a year is probably not possible. And remember, it wasnt like he always killed it in SOO and was poor for us....hes had some pretty ordinary games for QLD too, which is why he wasnt a regular pick until this year.

Shop him around to get another accomplished NRL first grader, I would go along with that (although, to be fair, he did have a very good season by his standards.) But distribute his salary for up and coming players...no way. We hardly have any experience in our props. Gubb's got 12 games under his belt. Lisone started well but faded out completely as the year progressed. Vete looked consistent, but hes yet to pass the second year syndrome yet. In such a situation, losing the experience of Lillyman would be a disaster Id reckon.

Reactions: 13 users

Jordan G

Lillyman may be winding down, but I would like to see some consistency up front from some of the others on both sides of the ball before cutting him loose.

However, if there's any truth to the Sam Moa rumour for 2017 (don't see it happening 2016) then yeah, no brainer swap really.

Reactions: 1 user
Vete looked consistent, but hes yet to pass the second year syndrome yet. In such a situation, losing the experience of Lillyman would be a disaster Id reckon.
Vete mentioned how Morgan and Cappy pulled him aside and really told him that he needs to lift his game to prevent exactly this because the second year loses its novelty value. I'm excited to see how this pans out.

Reactions: 7 users
tbh, this is the kind of attitude that has screwed the warriors over for the last few years...mateo played well for a couple of weeks, he was signed up for 4yrs...and we still paying for him to play at Manly.....Konrad was signed up in a hurry and now we cant get rid of him...Matagi was explosive in his first year, what did he do in his second?

After 2014 it looked like Gubb was a waste of cap space...At the end of 2015, he's showed that he MAY be first class material...that is all we know of him so far. He's signed till 2016 and we have a one year option on him, so whats the hurry to sign him up for 2018?

I understand your frustration at some of our signings ,
Mateo was brought in with much fanfare and talked up , But we had a very
structured team back then , Who knows how it would have worked better coaches
etc...
Hurrell we got an we all want him to be great, But I don't think he's played many
games with an experienced center beside him , I could be wrong,
I think that's got a lot to do with his learning curve .But if he does get
it damn well play some good footy
Lousi got his contract a while ago , For a while he was working full time doing his
mechanic apprenticeship As well as training , and is a hell of a good guy, From what iv heard,
An you can understand the club going for a kid with his head screwed on

My point is each of these are separate cases with their
own merits an pitfalls but they have nothing to do with
identifying talent an keeping it ,

Now Vete gets better each game an if we keep him he will
end up one of the first names picked every week ,
Gubb adds a point of difference, He's got the ability to change
the tempo of a game, But he's only going to get better , So
lock them up longterm while they are cheap.

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Interesting how things turn out, Hoppa for Lafai is crazy, I'd keep Lafai all day, Hoppa to Dogs would have Abbey behind Morris and Hoppa for FB.

Abbey is going to realise that he'll always have competition wherever he goes and he'll have to win a spot, interesting test of character.

Reactions: 2 users

x6AnRkL.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Feel sorry for Wright, after Jim Doyle's hard liner comments he's gotta figure they don't have a first grade goal for him in mind.

He seems like a tryer, and as such its good having him on board. A few of the imports must have the same dilemma, I hope they prove as keen to play as Wright did.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I understand your frustration at some of our signings ,
Mateo was brought in with much fanfare and talked up , But we had a very
structured team back then , Who knows how it would have worked better coaches
etc...
Hurrell we got an we all want him to be great, But I don't think he's played many
games with an experienced center beside him , I could be wrong,
I think that's got a lot to do with his learning curve .But if he does get
it damn well play some good footy
Lousi got his contract a while ago , For a while he was working full time doing his
mechanic apprenticeship As well as training , and is a hell of a good guy, From what iv heard,
An you can understand the club going for a kid with his head screwed on

My point is each of these are separate cases with their
own merits an pitfalls but they have nothing to do with
identifying talent an keeping it ,

Now Vete gets better each game an if we keep him he will
end up one of the first names picked every week ,
Gubb adds a point of difference, He's got the ability to change
the tempo of a game, But he's only going to get better , So
lock them up longterm while they are cheap.
sorry stopped reading when i read that Hurrell needs and experienced centre beside him...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Never Thought I'd see Jono Wright and "Star" in the same sentence...
just remember there's many types of star; dwarf star, fading star, black hole, midget star, ghost star, etc etc... Im sure they were referring to one of those.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Reality suggests Jono Wright will not be in our top 17 for next year (either at centre/wing, or on the bench). However, at the start of this year, many of us probably would have said the same thing, and how many games did he end up playing?

If he ends up playing - he'll try his utmost and do his best (which hasn't always been the way). If he ends up spending 2016 in NSW Cup, that's fine as he's a cheap as chips depth player with a tonne of experience, and some of what he knows might rub off on the youngsters.

If he ends up going to the NFL (and honestly, I don't see why they'd want him, or that he'd get a contract) - good on him and I wish him the best of luck.

Anyone have any thoughts as to where he'd play in NFL?

In terms of next season - realistically I think he'd be behind Hurrell/Kata/Lolohea/Ayshford/Henry in terms of filling in at centre, and behind Manu/Lolohea/Maumalo/Fusitua for a wing spot, and I don't know where he sits relative to the newcomers to the squad (Wells etc).

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.