Rumour Warriors Recruitment Discussion and Rumour Mill - 2015 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Read where???
hey Mt Welly
this is where I read it see Highlighted bit.
The Lurker: Warriors plan to snare controversial star
November 20, 2015 7:35am
the-lurker_10vy6so7v3yyz171ssegxgl47q.png
By The Lurker
The Lurker rounds out your week the right way with news of the Warriors eyeing Russell Packer, the 'Michael Jordan of league' heads back to NZ and an NRL club already sounding out coaching options.
MORE: Ask the Lurker - Whispers and rumours | The Final Rev-Up: Has another player been caught in the wrong bedroom? | The Final Rev-Up: Geoff Toovey's big night out
The Warriors are ready to swoop on controversial forward Russell Packer should he be deported back to New Zealand.
Packer is in limbo following his stint in jail for assault last year, with the Australian government considering deporting him to his homeland.
Packer continues to train with the Dragons and is in the best shape of his career after his enforced break from the game.
But there is a real possibility that Packer could be booted out of Australia despite having served his time for the brutal assault in Sydney in 2013.
The tough prop would be a great fit for the Warriors - the club has been in the market for a new front-rower to add to their stocks.
The club has been negotiating with another Kiwi, Roosters prop Sam Moa, but the two organisations have been unable to come to an agreement.
The 26-year-old Packer started his career with the Warriors in 2008 and played over 100 games for the club before falling foul of the law.

Reactions: 1 users
oh no

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...rop-market-watch/story-fn2mcuj6-1227629651608
WARRIORS PROP A WANTED MAN

654364-a897e55c-97b8-11e5-ae4a-149ca2fe24e6.jpg

Charlie Gubb of the Warriors offloads as he goes to ground.Source: Getty Images

Defending premiers North Queensland have their eye on Warriors forward Charlie Gubb.

It’s understood Gubb has been a topic of discussion at the Cowboys, with props Ben Hannant and James Tamou off contract at the end of 2016.

Gubb, who is off-contract in 2016 with an option in favour of the Warriors, made nine appearances in the NRL last season.

But even if the Warriors forgo their option to retain Gubb for 2017, the Cowboys have some stiff competition on their hands in the form of the Wests Tigers.

Jason Taylor also wants to sign the 25-year-old, having been impressed by the impact he made when his team played the Warriors in round 25 last season.

The 107 kilo forward made his NRL debut in 2013 and has played 15 career games to date.

Reactions: 1 users

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Sign Gubb up longterm an Vete both these guys get better each game,
I really hope the Warriors are looking at offering him a further extension ther the extra year option they already have.
He seems to be making the most of the time he has been getting on the field also putting in at training which were it shows this is his passion.

Reactions: 1 user
Sign Gubb up longterm an Vete both these guys get better each game,
tbh, this is the kind of attitude that has screwed the warriors over for the last few years...mateo played well for a couple of weeks, he was signed up for 4yrs...and we still paying for him to play at Manly.....Konrad was signed up in a hurry and now we cant get rid of him...Matagi was explosive in his first year, what did he do in his second?

After 2014 it looked like Gubb was a waste of cap space...At the end of 2015, he's showed that he MAY be first class material...that is all we know of him so far. He's signed till 2016 and we have a one year option on him, so whats the hurry to sign him up for 2018?

Reactions: 19 users
I reckon the club is in a better position to keep guys like gubb without throwing huge money at him. The chance for a premiership is there now. And he gets to work with Jimmy D.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Wouldn't be too keen to lose Gubb, but I think a few posters are getting a bit carried away about locking him in long term based of a couple of decent games.
If he comes out firing and backs up late last years form then by all means weigh it up, rushing in is how we get stuck with the Lousi's of this world.

Reactions: 5 users
Could just be a ploy from other clubs to mention Gubb so the Warriors react and lock him up taking them out of the race of another player coming up on the market...

When did I get so cynical???

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
tbh, this is the kind of attitude that has screwed the warriors over for the last few years...mateo played well for a couple of weeks, he was signed up for 4yrs...and we still paying for him to play at Manly.....Konrad was signed up in a hurry and now we cant get rid of him...Matagi was explosive in his first year, what did he do in his second?

After 2014 it looked like Gubb was a waste of cap space...At the end of 2015, he's showed that he MAY be first class material...that is all we know of him so far. He's signed till 2016 and we have a one year option on him, so whats the hurry to sign him up for 2018?

Agree with this so much just because he had a nice little patch of form end of last year doesn't mean the club should be signing him to long extension based on the fact some other clubs have taken an interest. This is where recruitment has gone wrong in the past with premature contract extensions for players who at best are average.

Don't get me wrong i Like Gubb great defensive workrate and plays hard but I just want to see him take the next step next year and become more consistent over an longer span of games and become an regular 100 metres an game type player before the club offers an long contract extension.

Yeah I don't get the love fest for Gubb at all, wouldn't be in my top 17 to be honest anyway even if I'm going against the grain on that one. He's 25 years old and struggles to get go forward which is pretty important for a prop. People are becoming too obsessed with defence, there are two sides of the ball after all.

Mutts, Jake, Lisone and Vete are all better options both now and moving forward.

Reactions: 2 users
I rate Gubb higher than Lisone by far, but then I rate Ligi Sao higher than Gubb. For me the guy will be dragged around as 18th man all year will get some game time, but not a lot.

Higher than Lisone by far? Interesting, I mean I know he didnt have a great end to the season - like many others in the team - but surely you would agree his upside is significantly higher than Gubbs even if you rate Gubb superior at this point in time?

Reactions: 2 users

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Dont see the club releasing him. Too much value for money.

I like Gubbs style. He doesnt bend the line as well as some of the other props but not all props have to. Plenty of props in the NRL earn their keep making 8 metre runs.

Where I see his role going forward is as a defensive impact player. Come off the bench and smash the shit out of players (legally!). An enforcer in the mould of Richard Villasanti that comes on as the rest of the team is fading and gives them a boost of confidence. Gubb's energy and workrate when he comes on is second to none. There were games this season gone when it looked he was the only one on the field that actually gave a shit.

He's a much better future recruitment option than Jacob Lillyman who is on good coin but seems to be just coasting. You could just about afford Sam Lisone and Charlie Gubb on Bulls rate...

Reactions: 4 users
Higher than Lisone by far? Interesting, I mean I know he didnt have a great end to the season - like many others in the team - but surely you would agree his upside is significantly higher than Gubbs even if you rate Gubb superior at this point in time?
I do concede that Lisone's upside has far greater potential and that has alot to do with his age, but that is also why i rate Gubb higher. Lisone, as a reflection of his age, still has a lot of maturing to do. This is clearly illustrated in comparison to Vete, both debuted together, but Vete has a better head on his shoulders and isn't about that pathetic 'crew' shit. This whole mindset thing with props is why we see the older guard do really well (Thiaday, Lillyman, Matt Scott) they're over the whole 'early 20's party animal' baggage. From what I've gathered talking to the men, that's not either Vete or Gubb's scene and i guess that comes back to the whole professionalism thing and how, especially in props, the pretenders are weeded out from the workmen. I truly see both Vete and Lisone guys having long futures, but I can see Vete being but in the same category as Mutts or Simon by the twilight of his career.

Reactions: 4 users

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Not sure what you mean by this...lillyman is signed till the end of 2017...by the time 2018 season starts he will be 34....is the club even considering any further extensions to his contract? bit dumb if they are aye?
My point is I would have shopped him around for 2016 and given his money to other players coming through. He's done his dash. No longer bends the line as much or plays the ball as quick. Pisses me off seeing him being average for us then playing the game of his career for Queensland. Utter bullshit. Get rid of him...

Reactions: 7 users

Jordan G

I think the fear for Gubb leaving comes from past Warriors teams/administrators who too often took the "be the nice guy" approach as far as releasing players go early so they could find an opportunity to our detriment. I get the feeling we're becoming more of a "what's in it for us" mentality now as far as that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.