Recruitment Warriors Recruitment Discussion 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key thing I see with Matagi, and where he's come from to get his NRL contract, is that to achieve what he has, he's had fight to get there. He's had to face up to his failings in a more desperate manner than most members of the team, and found an inner strength that appears to be lacking in many other players. That fighting attitude is what is setting him apart from the bulk of our squad at the moment.

Plenty of the players we criticise the most lately don't even have to fight for their place in the team, let alone fight personal demons to the extent Matagi has had to.

Reactions: 5 users
Key thing I see with Matagi, and where he's come from to get his NRL contract, is that to achieve what he has, he's had fight to get there. He's had to face up to his failings in a more desperate manner than most members of the team, and found an inner strength that appears to be lacking in many other players. That fighting attitude is what is setting him apart from the bulk of our squad at the moment.

Plenty of the players we criticise the most lately don't even have to fight for their place in the team, let alone fight personal demons to the extent Matagi has had to.
His story is the most legendary I've heard in a long time. It puts most peoples stories to shame... Mine included...

Reactions: 1 user
I like him a lot

Is he the real deal ? probably , will be certain by end of next year i he is still around and we see how he plays in Adversity ( hard I'm sure ) still.....I would like to see what happens when a fit Russel Packer replaces him , what will Suia do......

I like him a lot

Is he the real deal ? probably , will be certain by end of next year i he is still around and we see how he plays in Adversity ( hard I'm sure ) still.....I would like to see what happens when a fit Russel Packer replaces him , what will Suia do......
I'm just making shit up about him now, but I reckon Matagi will stand up and applaud the Package, if Rusty can gain his spot back, and then get back to work on his own self-improvement in reserve grade.

I did have a giggle with Eddiots comments regarding his defence not being NRL standard, what a load of shit, his defence has been solid in every game, putting up some good numbers per minute in most of them and highlighted by his running. Eddiot is just looking an excuse for not seeing the obvious and not playing him regularly until recently, I did like Gubbs game but it shouldn't have been at the expense of Matagi. Early days yet.
.I'm wondering if Mutts and Jake are carrying injuries, strange stats from the game, because at the time I was a bit disappointed in them but there stats surprised me, for one part because they are a lot higher than it seemed at the time and both out performed Matagi statistically.

His story is the most legendary I've heard in a long time. It puts most peoples stories to shame... Mine included...
Bro from what I've gathered, there are quite a few of us here with stories that would put the average person to shame. Some of us have dragged ourselves up from some pretty low places. Would be good to be able to put the stories all together to send to the team as a way of saying "This is what some of your fans have had to do just to get to a stage in life where they can pay money to watch too many of you play like you don't give a shit. So give a shit."

Reactions: 5 users
Bro from what I've gathered, there are quite a few of us here with stories that would put the average person to shame. Some of us have dragged ourselves up from some pretty low places. Would be good to be able to put the stories all together to send to the team as a way of saying "This is what some of your fans have had to do just to get to a stage in life where they can pay money to watch too many of you play like you don't give a shit. So give a shit."
I like this quote.

“The Quality Of A Person’s Life Is In Direct Proportion To Their Commitment To Excellence, Regardless Of Their Chosen Field Of Endeavor.”
Vincent T. Lombardi

Right now some Warriors forwards are highly committed to mediocrity...

“The Quality Of A Person’s Life Is In Direct Proportion To Their Commitment To Excellence, Regardless Of Their Chosen Field Of Endeavor.” Vincent T. Lombardi

This is what some of your fans have had to do just to get to a stage in life where they can pay money to watch too many of you play like you don't give a shit. So give a shit."
Someone needs to break into their gym and put these on the wall; strength and conditioning coaches really get into that sort of thing.;)

Someone needs to break into their gym and put these on the wall; strength and conditioning coaches really get into that sort of thing.;)
I think the first quote (by Lombardi) will inspire them, but the second, which wasn't mine by the way, will be toxic for them (as it will make them feel guilty when we want them to be getting fired up, and pissed off with their last three games)....

"Guilt is like Herpes, it's a gift that keeps on giving." Edd

Why can't we have both Package an Matagi in 2014 ?
Matagi can be a straight replacement for ET in #13.

Start Lowrie and have MATAGI come in around 50min mark and just run muthafucking havoc at the defence left and right.
Bullocking BULLish runs at tired defenders like a steaming fuckin train.

Reactions: 3 users
Who makes the forward pack next year, if everyone is fit?

Certains;

Mannering
Mateo
Matulino
Lillyman
Rapira
Bukuya

Then fighting it out;

Matagi
Henry
Packer
Lousi
Lousi
Gubb
Friend (For a bench spot?)
Lowrie
Vete
Englishmen No 1
Englishmen No 2
Bhana
Ikahahifo
Peyroux

Jesus Christ, enough depth? Love it, there will be plenty of battles within the squad.

I know it suits the current (and not unjustified) Gubb and Matagi love-fest to think otherwise, but if our entire squad is fit, Packer will definitely be in the "Certains".

If he can have a good off season and not become the maori George Rose, he should be. So much talent and potential, very rarely has he delivered on that yet.

If he can have a good off season and not become the maori George Rose, he should be. So much talent and potential, very rarely has he delivered on that yet.

Packer certainly hasn't reached his potential yet! But yeah I don't see him being knocked out of the pecking order this soon, despite Matagi's strong beginnings. Only injury is keeping Russ out of his jersey.

I believe I am correct in thinking Matagi and Gubb are only on second-tier contracts.

As with others, my personal hope is Matagi to bully his way into a permanent role, with either him or one of the smaller props being moved to the second row / lock.

IMHO Matagi looks a great backrower or even lock great speed good hands not just a basher ..yeah packer back would be great

Disclaimer: I'm not actually comparing Matagi to Ta'ai as they are totally different players, just giving my opinion on why Ukuma didn't work out here.
Ta'ai was playing the minutes expected of him as a physical bench forward, and was a fan favourite until last season when he was played out of position and suddenly wasn't as effective, then copped a few injuries etc. Then all the knives came out.
I actually remember a number of comments about his good training ethic, so I certainly don't think he let himself down there. Feel free to disagree with me, but I am just going by what I heard and saw at the time. OT anyway.

Yeah well Matagi could play 80 in the lower grades but the NRL is totally different level of intensity. Everybody's a prime athlete (except Rose ha) and there aren't as many soft tacklers to run at. You get fucked up every contact. But Matagi has already improved substantially since his debut, getting 40 minutes of quality time versus the Panthers. Needs to improve his defensive workrate but that will come with time. He doesn't miss many tackles.

he used to turn massively over weight over the holiday period.
You could notice that - as he became less effective....then took at least half the season to get into shape.

Matagi is a beast - and doesnt shirk the workload on the field.
Just needs to get match fitness up - how to manage his intensity etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1377073242][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who makes the forward pack next year, if everyone is fit?

Certains;

Mannering
Mateo
Matulino
Lillyman
Rapira
Bukuya

Then fighting it out;

Matagi
Henry
Packer
Lousi
Lousi
Gubb
Friend (For a bench spot?)
Lowrie
Vete
Englishmen No 1
Englishmen No 2
Bhana
Ikahahifo
Peyroux

Jesus Christ, enough depth? Love it, there will be plenty of battles within the squad.

Leuluai must be a cert in the 6 or 9.
Where are all the haters a few months back.

Bukuya and Matagi to bring the punch.
Henry provides back and centre cover.

I like both the Lousi's - I reckon a good off-season both could be handy.
Sam would of established as a first grader - I used to hate on the bloke.
But he has shown glimpses for vulcans.

Status
Not open for further replies.