Recruitment Warriors Recruitment and Rumour Mill - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know his parents. He is well established in Brissy. Owns a couple houses and business interests there. This is a pay-rise ploy ie Steve Matai...

He can't even crack the starting 13, so good the broncos second row is.. Gillett Thaiday and Maguire/Arrow, I can understand that but a kiwis player, and experienced one at that that still cannot crack the starting 13 - perhaps he has grown impatient.

Reactions: boneless

bruce

Contributor
He can't even crack the starting 13, so good the broncos second row is.. Gillett Thaiday and Maguire/Arrow, I can understand that but a kiwis player, and experienced one at that that still cannot crack the starting 13 - perhaps he has grown impatient.
or maybe the Broncos have some depth...for some reason;)

Reactions: tajhay and Gizzyfan
People are only keen on Whare if he comes real cheap right? I can't see any sense in signing him for a hefty amount. Injury prone and he isn't really a genuine try scorer. Kata is a beast - try scoring average is way better & can defend. Just needs to work on his draw and pass but he's only what 21? He'll be fine.

Hoping the club go down the route of using either Fusitua or LoLo at 3 and just signing a cheap backup. We need more expensive players elsewhere...
Why are you high on try scoring centres? You do know kata is robbing his winger of tries hence why he is scoring more than he should? and I love kata.

A centre should be rated on how he sets up his outside. I agree Whare shouldn't be bought on a high price due to injury. But he's great because he does the things a centre should and can do them to a very high level.

Reactions: bruce and MurrayTD
Why are you high on try scoring centres? You do know kata is robbing his winger of tries hence why he is scoring more than he should? and I love kata.

A centre should be rated on how he sets up his outside. I agree Whare shouldn't be bought on a high price due to injury. But he's great because he does the things a centre should and can do them to a very high level.

I like centres who can find the line fairly consistently. We have two of them right now in Kata and Fusitua. Plus Fusitua has a great pass and they can both defend fairly well.

I never said that Whare couldn't do the things you describe, I just said he's not much of a try scorer (which is true), and that I'd only want to see him come to the club on the cheap.

For me, it depends where Fusitua ends up. If he's on the wing, then sure I'd welcome Whare. If Fusitua plays at 3 this year and dominates, then no I don't want to see a high profile centre signing for 2018.

I like centres who can find the line fairly consistently. We have two of them right now in Kata and Fusitua. Plus Fusitua has a great pass and they can both defend fairly well.

I never said that Whare couldn't do the things you describe, I just said he's not much of a try scorer (which is true), and that I'd only want to see him come to the club on the cheap.

For me, it depends where Fusitua ends up. If he's on the wing, then sure I'd welcome Whare. If Fusitua plays at 3 this year and dominates, then no I don't want to see a high profile centre signing for 2018.
I too hope Fusitua can win out the starting centre spot over ayshford. What do you think is the amount of nrl games it takes a player to become a quality centre? Fusitua would need 2 years solid without chopping and changing to become a star I reckon and he can do it.

I too hope Fusitua can win out the starting centre spot over ayshford. What do you think is the amount of nrl games it takes a player to become a quality centre? Fusitua would need 2 years solid without chopping and changing to become a star I reckon and he can do it.

I think if Fusitua plays the full 2017 season at centre, he will be well on his way to becoming a top player in that position.

I understand we're still lacking in the right wing position. Fusitua is great there too and I know people want to see him there (I'm kind of torn on it TBH) , with the club signing a new centre, but I just think the full extent of his talents are wasted on the wing. I'd like to see him be the long term 3. That's just me though.

TBH we're lacking in both wing positions. Really wish Kearney would give us an inkling into where Fusitua and LoLo will be playing.

Last edited:
Yup that's how rumours get made up... i mean...started.
And over blown. All it takes is for a Kiwi to come home to see some family and get spotted at the airport or somewhere in Auckland and suddenly he's been measured up for a Warriors jersey and a locker sorted out for him.

It is even getting to the point when guys come here to tour our facilities I'd still try and not get too excited until we start hearing more details or we get the Doyle treatment where it is announced and done.

Reactions: Jaka
It was definitely one of them
Yip George is in Queenstown with his new wife... even had a fergburger and loved it.
IMG_1117.jpg

Some lower grade signings for those interested

Albert Talakai has signed with the Warriors for 3 years 2017-2019. Some information about him below.
Turangawaewae U15 Open
Wing / Centre
2016 Waicoa Bay U15 Representative
2015 Waikato & Waikato Maori U15 Representative

Antonio Aufai will be a part of the Warriors development squad for 2017 some information about him below.
Otahuhu U16 Open
Prop / Lock
2016 Auckland South U16 Representative
2015 Counties Manukau U15 Representative

Diaz Tiaha will be a Warriors academy player for the next 2 years 2017-2018. Some information about him below
Mangere East U15 Open
Prop / Second Row / Lock
2016 Counties Manukau U15 Training Squad
2015 Counties Manukau RuLA U14 Representative
2014 Auckland Maori U13 Representative

SamTaunga has joined the Warriors development academy squad. Some information about him below
Otahuhu RLC U15 Open
Stand Off
2016 Counties Manukau Reuben Wiki Tournament Representative
2015 Akl South Representative U14
2014 Akl South Representative U13
2014 Tonga U13 Representative

An article form the Herald about the rumuors regarding Charlie Gubb and Albert Vete. Interesting quotes from Tony Iro about any potential new signings for 2017.

"Potentially we're still looking for another outside back but not a high-profile (player). Our cap is pretty tight."

The club has little room to move under the salary cap but is on the look-out for a value-for-money outside-back signing.

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11770770

Last edited:
Some lower grade signings for those interested

Albert Talakai has signed with the Warriors for 3 years 2017-2019. Some information about him below.
Turangawaewae U15 Open
Wing / Centre
2016 Waicoa Bay U15 Representative
2015 Waikato & Waikato Maori U15 Representative

Antonio Aufai will be a part of the Warriors development squad for 2017 some information about him below.
Otahuhu U16 Open
Prop / Lock
2016 Auckland South U16 Representative
2015 Counties Manukau U15 Representative

Diaz Tiaha will be a Warriors academy player for the next 2 years 2017-2018. Some information about him below
Mangere East U15 Open
Prop / Second Row / Lock
2016 Counties Manukau U15 Training Squad
2015 Counties Manukau RuLA U14 Representative
2014 Auckland Maori U13 Representative

SamTaunga has joined the Warriors development academy squad. Some information about him below
Otahuhu RLC U15 Open
Stand Off
2016 Counties Manukau Reuben Wiki Tournament Representative
2015 Akl South Representative U14
2014 Akl South Representative U13
2014 Tonga U13 Representative
I have heard that liam hampson a hooker from keebra park is over here as well will probably play 20s at some stage. I dont think hes a kiwi so if he goes well hopefully he sticks around.Heres a video of keebra this year hes the number 9.

Reactions: tajhay
An article form the Herald about the rumuors regarding Charlie Gubb and Albert Vete. Interesting quotes from Tony Iro about any potential new signings for 2017.

"Potentially we're still looking for another outside back but not a high-profile (player). Our cap is pretty tight."

The club has little room to move under the salary cap but is on the look-out for a value-for-money outside-back signing.

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11770770
henare wells ???

Weird. They have Allwood, Ayshford, Nikol-Klokstad and Pauga who can play in the outside backs yet they're after another cheapie? Admittedly, Pauga is green but he's almost 21. He'll be in the mix soon surely. They mustn't have rated Wells at all.

Reactions: bruce
Status
Not open for further replies.