Recruitment Warriors Recruitment and Rumour Mill - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
JD works quietly. He is like a crocodile, you know he is after somebody when he has them.
You are right about JD. Something is about to change because it's undesirable to keep Gibbes if he's keen to go. Also heard Lolohea has asked for a release again. Could be some changes about to happen.

You are right about JD. Something is about to change because it's undesirable to keep Gibbes if he's keen to go. Also heard Lolohea has asked for a release again. Could be some changes about to happen.
To me, this is an insult to SK, who hasn't even decided on his 17 yet as it's early into pre-season.

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
NRL: Warriors remain option for Broncos forward Alex Glenn
2:25 PM Thursday Dec 15, 2016

Brisbane NRL back-rower Alex Glenn faces some tough decisions about where his playing future lies and is keeping all options open - including a return home to Auckland to join the Warriors.

Glenn is one of more than a dozen in-demand Broncos coming off contract next season, and although eager to remain in Brisbane he realises the club faces a battle to retain all of their big name players.

The 28-year-old is recovering from a shoulder reconstruction that ruled him out of contention for the Kiwis Four Nations campaign and is eyeing a strong return next year to help secure what looms as the most important contract of his career.

"There's over 10 of us and it's going to be hard to keep us all," Glenn explained at the NRL Auckland Nines jersey reveal in Sydney last week.

"But we all have a point to prove and we all want to make sure that we have a big year in 2017.

"That was my main focus, hence why I got the surgery done. I wanted to make sure I was 100 per cent come round one and I'm ready to go for a big year."

Glenn has previously knocked back big offers from the Gold Coast and Newcastle to stay at the club he debuted for in 2009 and is keen to complete a decade of service in Broncos colours.

The former Northcote junior denied speculation that ex-Brisbane assistant coach and new Warriors mentor Stephen Kearney had tried to entice him across the Tasman but refused to rule out making a shock return to New Zealand.

"It was quite a surprise when I heard the rumours and there's been no talks with Stephen Kearney about going to the Warriors," he said.

"But I'm going to keep all doors and options open for myself and my family but that's out of my control. What I can control is playing consistent football and the rest will take care of itself. But who knows where the future lies?

"Auckland, that's where I grew up, that's where I started playing football and obviously I'd get to catch up with more of my family if I was playing back there.

"I'm not going to rule it out. I'm not going to be saying that I don't want to go back to New Zealand.

"Time will see and where I stand and where contracts lie up and where I'll be putting that signature."

Glenn believes the Warriors are destined for big things under Kearney and was sorry to see his former Kiwis coach leave the Broncos after four years.

"It was a massive loss for us having Mooks leave and he's just going to be great for the Warriors.

"We've all seen what he did for our Kiwi team and the success he brought us, so I can only expect great things for the Warriors.

"Mooks is a great guy and he's developed into one of the greatest coaches."

Glenn's immediate concern is getting back to full fitness and ready for the pre-season, with the Nines and the Broncos World Club Series excursion to England added incentives ahead of the NRL season.

"I had a fractured AC for half of the season and obviously it's in our nature to carry on playing and not let your teammates down.

"There was a floating bone in my shoulder that needed to be removed and my AC joint was sticking up here so they had to pull that down and screw it in.

"It was a pretty big process and everything went smoothly. I got the screw removed two weeks ago and my range is back to full and I am just trying to develop that strength back into it.

"I want to try and get some trial games under my belt before the season kicks off. And we're going over to England as well so it would be good to get over there.

"I've just got make sure I'm doing all of the one-percenters. I'm not going into it too hard and I guess time will tell."

Read more by David Skipwith Email David Skipwith - NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11764700

From the Herald this morning.

This is the thing that scares me to most about Foran all along. "He only wanted a one-year deal so he can come back to Sydney to be close to his family and benefit from any rise in the salary cap,"

That gives me the shits. We take him on for one year, sort him out and help with his recovery and boom, salary cap rise and off to a Sydney club we go.
I don't mind as long as he delivers me a premiership before he goes back.

Reactions: Defence
No doubt glenn, nikorima, kahu and blair will get targeted by kearney at some point, none of them deserve extras to come home, only offer them market value would rather play stars stars money, no stars money for journeymen.

It will be interesting to see if Kearney does target players who have played for the Kiwis under him. Off that list i would only be interested in Kahu and Glenn at the right price. Blair's style of play wouldn't work at the Warriors. I am a fan of Kodi Nikorima I just don't see where he would fit in and get minutes enough minutes. I hope he targets Whare from the panthers who is available after the 2017 season.

People are only keen on Whare if he comes real cheap right? I can't see any sense in signing him for a hefty amount. Injury prone and he isn't really a genuine try scorer. Kata is a beast - try scoring average is way better & can defend. Just needs to work on his draw and pass but he's only what 21? He'll be fine.

Hoping the club go down the route of using either Fusitua or LoLo at 3 and just signing a cheap backup. We need more expensive players elsewhere...

People are only keen on Whare if he comes real cheap right? I can't see any sense in signing him for a hefty amount. Injury prone and he isn't really a genuine try scorer. Kata is a beast - try scoring average is way better & can defend. Just needs to work on his draw and pass but he's only what 21? He'll be fine.

Hoping the club go down the route of using either Fusitua or LoLo at 3 and just signing a cheap backup. We need more expensive players elsewhere...

You're right about him being injury prone, but the reason he's not a try scorer is that he's too busy setting them up. Trust me, we'd get value for money out of him if he could stay on the field. Whare is also a much better defender than Lolohea. My preference is developing Fusitua into a centre though. Then if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck buggers off, moving him to fullback eventually. Tui can figure out how to tackle in NSW Cup, until then he doesn't enter my calculations tbh

To be honest i think the whole Whare is injury prone message is over exaggerated. Yes he has been mostly injured for the last two years, but before that he was never injured. Least we forget that hes being playing in the NRL since 2010 serious injuries are bound to occur when you play in the NRL for that long. The guy is still only 26 he has at least another 5-6 years of elite football ahead of him. He is the best defensive centre in the game and his offence is seriously underrated.

To be honest i think the whole Whare is injury prone message is over exaggerated. Yes he has been mostly injured for the last two years, but before that he was never injured. Least we forget that hes being playing in the NRL since 2010 serious injuries are bound to occur when you play in the NRL for that long. The guy is still only 26 he has at least another 5-6 years of elite football ahead of him. He is the best defensive centre in the game and his offense is seriously underrated.

Agree on all points.

I'd go one further even; when healthy he's the best centre in the game. Put Fusitua outstide Whare and watch the best outside back pairing in the Warriors' history develop and dominate the NRL.

Agree on all points.

I'd go one further even; when healthy he's the best centre in the game. Put Fusitua outstide Whare and watch the best outside back pairing in the Warriors' history develop and dominate the NRL.

This, if he was Australian the Aussie media would jizz over all themselves about how he is one of the best players in the NRL. Look at how many times he's shut down GI when playing for the Kiwis. He'd rectify one of the Warriors major weakness there edge defence. Heck you'd probably have people posting on this forum saying how much Vatuvei's defence has improved if he had Whare playing alongside him.

I don't mind as long as he delivers me a premiership before he goes back.
That's my argument against Foran being here. This should be a time when Lolo or Ata are vying for the 6 position. Instead, both guys are/were upset at Foran coming, and it delays their competition. Now if Foran was looking to stay more long term, different story. At best, we make the finals with Foran, but reasonably we make the 8. Is that worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.