General Warriors Put On Notice

There's probably been a newspaper sports columnist write something similar about Australian rugby union - "The players aren't forged in a furnace, like the young Kiwis are".

Rattue is correct, but that's not the Warriors' fault, just the way union is in our schools in a way league has never been (let's not turn this into yet another league v union debate, 'kay?). Fact.

But I also think one major problem is the Warriors fell in love with the U20s too much. I know Rattue was in Ackland's corner last year in the Ackland v Elliott situation, wonder if he'll make a comment about the U20s at some stage...

Reactions: 1 user
Reading the Chris Rattue article in todays Herald I have to wonder if he gets his stories from this forum?

If Konrad Hurrell is the Warriors' saviour then quick, get me out of here.

Hurrell is a human bulldozer, especially when there is a table of food about. He represents what is wrong with the Warriors - a player of immense strength and potential who won't give everything for the cause.

Just like halfback Shaun Johnson, Hurrell could be a superstar who brings a title to Mt Smart Stadium. Or is that Eden Park? Just like Johnson, he won't. They don't have enough heart and desperation for the league trenches.

Hurrell is off the reserve grade naughty chair and in the first grade travelling squad for Saturday night's clash against the Cowboys in Townsville, having turned up to work this year 10kg overweight. That's an incredible effort - maybe he was mainlining doughnuts.

It's a long flight to Townsville, a journey full of snacks. It's hot in Townsville. This is not a good recipe for Hurrell's return.
If he does play, Hurrell will power over for a try with a pack of Cowboys on his back and sweat pouring down his brow. He'll make a few tackles then plant hands on knees. Then he'll turn to stone as Johnathan Thurston aims fit and fast runners his way.

Johnson, who plays in a central control position, is an even bigger problem who is turning into a club killer. He got too many accolades too soon. He is too talented to drop, not strong enough to lead. People will still be talking about Johnson's potential when he is 28.
From now on, the Warriors must look beyond the obvious no matter how tempting the goodies appear to be. If a player has extreme skills, he needs a fierce determination as well. Okay, this is only one angle in a sea of theories about this dud of a club, one which was originally touted as the next Brisbane-style force. For years, there have been calls for more tough Australians in the mix.

For years it's been a matter of honour to resist and point out the pea-hearted Aussies who've added to the woes. A lot of us would love to hear a few louder ticks from Feleti Mateo's direction.

But the majority of the Warriors' tough footballers with a nous for the game, who have set the tone, have been Australians or New Zealanders who learned their trade across the ditch. Price, Campion, Luck, Wiki ... the search must go on.

There is a fatal flaw in our home-based development system. The players aren't forged in a furnace, like the young Aussies are. Unfortunately, stout Simon Mannering-types are exceptions to the rule.

The Warriors might go the whole hog, and be an Aussie franchise abroad with strong Auckland benefits. They need to find the next Paul Gallen, and they ain't going to find him here.

Maybe frustration is taking over, leading to cliches. These are the words I never wanted to write - the Warriors need more tough Aussies.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11222636

This a TOP, TOP POST. So accurate, and I SO enjoyed it.

Of course, there is a lot to respond to, and I will.
But my immediate reaction, which I wanted to say.........GREAT POST.

Akkerz

Contributor
That article says it all really. Regardless of threats , bribes & time in the naughty corner, the Warriors will continue to fail as long as that "senior playing group" is involved.
I don't want the coach replaced - not saying ME is a good coach, because I don't think he is - I just want those players who have dictated the outcome of the past few seasons to be given demotion, release from their contract or a good kick in the arse . We all know who the culprits are so time for the Club to take meaningful action. No more player power.

Reactions: 9 users
That article says it all really. Regardless of threats , bribes & time in the naughty corner, the Warriors will continue to fail as long as that "senior playing group" is involved.
I don't want the coach replaced - not saying ME is a good coach, because I don't think he is - I just want those players who have dictated the outcome of the past few seasons to be given demotion, release from their contract or a good kick in the arse . We all know who the culprits are so time for the Club to take meaningful action. No more player power.

I've clicked the 'Like'.......but I do know that in this day and age, it's not so easy !!
I'm a great believer in "Payment by Results"........but I don't really think it can be done today.
You should be able to stop Hurrell eating the pies though.
Sew his lips together.

Inruin

Contributor
I seem to remember when Bennett was at the Broncos they had a pay for win type deal. Got something like $2000 for a win and $1 for a loss. seemed to work quite well back then.

I seem to remember when Bennett was at the Broncos they had a pay for win type deal. Got something like $2000 for a win and $1 for a loss. seemed to work quite well back then.

You're kidding me !! For Real ???
My god, I'd go for that with this bunch. And Elliott. I didn't think it was possible.
But still on a decent basic, I suppose.

It worked well because the players were then getting topped up with houses and cars through "the thoroughbreds" lol.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Rattue might be correct on this occasion, but he writes so much bollocks that it's like the boy who cried wolf.

Reactions: 5 users
At one point a few years ago weren't some posts from here turning up almost word for word in journalists stories. So many local journalists are too lazy to even get names or results right so I have little doubt people here ghost write a few newspaper articles.

Reactions: 3 users
Speaking of Twitter, has anyone noticed if the players have been missing from Twitter this week, or if they are too naive to realise they are pissing us all off?

It wasn't because the boys were relaxed in the broncos game and their natural game came out. It was because the opposition ie broncos took the game for what it was - a trial game. The outcome and the score have little to zero significance to everyone but us...... ironic how the broncos are up 2-0 while we are 0-2. We need to get our priorities sorted.

I don't want to see the boys "happy", smiling and laughing like they did in the Panthers game last year. Never again. I want to see them with mongrel, anger and pumped for every game. Not a bunch of pay check collectors who spend more time on their twitter account then they do perfecting their trade.

get angry boys!

I was at the Airport after the 9s with the Bronco's...on the same plane......(Air New Zealand asked me to move seats from Premium Economy for the Bronco's, I said piss off!!!) anyways I was yakking with a few of them and they were quite outspoken about the fact they didn't want to go back to Dunedin for a trial and that the Warriors should come to Brisbane. Andrew McCullogh was the most out spoken......I said oh well I guess you have to do what your employers tell you to do. Maybe that gives you a bit of an insight into the mindset of the Broncos and a bit of reflection on the score line.

Reactions: 2 users
I was at the Airport after the 9s with the Bronco's...on the same plane......(Air New Zealand asked me to move seats from Premium Economy for the Bronco's, I said piss off!!!) anyways I was yakking with a few of them and they were quite outspoken about the fact they didn't want to go back to Dunedin for a trial and that the Warriors should come to Brisbane. Andrew McCullogh was the most out spoken......I said oh well I guess you have to do what your employers tell you to do. Maybe that gives you a bit of an insight into the mindset of the Broncos and a bit of reflection on the score line.

Don't blame the Broncos...Dunedin is a dump,,,Its a shame that stadium is down there and not up north

Don't blame the Broncos...Dunedin is a dump,,,Its a shame that stadium is down there and not up north

Hahahahahaha....I wasn't but was trying to put a bit of perspective into that result & the start of the season......easy to carve a side with no desire to be there but can't compete against teams that turn up.

KPWarrior

Contributor
Doesn't matter what their mindset was, the Dunedin game only benefited one team and it sure the hell wasn't us!

Reactions: 1 users
Hurrell has paid his dews, hopefully learnt his lesson.
If he gets an opportunity, I hope he takes it.
Unless Elliot plans on weaning him back in.

The longer we dis the brother.
The more the opposition in the NRL are saying THANK YOU for not playing him.

We have a game breaker on our bench this week end, hope he gets on and shows us what we have been missing.

Reactions: 2 users