General Warriors Preseason 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vancent

Vancent

Contributor
I can’t believe we’re a year on and Kearney still hasn’t figured out who he wants in the halves. Seriously?! Would a third year help?

Had he have made his mind up late last year, the eventual halves could have spent a full pre season and late part of the comp last year working together.

Yet a second year on and we’ve continued with swapsies so we enter another season with a pair of halves learning to play together - despite them being at the club together for months!!!

Seems like a solid citizen does Steve - but an NRL Head Coach he is not. He has proven this to us at two clubs with someone else’s roster and his own.

I truly have no hope until he’s gone

Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

I can’t believe we’re a year on and Kearney still hasn’t figured out who he wants in the halves. Seriously?! Would a third year help?

Had he have made his mind up late last year, the eventual halves could have spent a full pre season and late part of the comp last year working together.

Yet a second year on and we’ve continued with swapsies so we enter another season with a pair of halves learning to play together - despite them being at the club together for months!!!

Seems like a solid citizen does Steve - but an NRL Head Coach he is not. He has proven this to us at two clubs with someone else’s roster and his own.

I truly have no hope until he’s gone
It's not only his fault. None of them have stamped their mark and owned it. I'd take a 56 year old Thurston or Cronk over our current guys because they know how to do it. Yes i know I'm talking ess aitch eye tee. But so does our club so I'm good company

#robbiemears

#robbiemears

If anyone feels reassured or has taken any positives from what we've seen over the offseason, then you've got far rosier glasses than I have. A dismal performance in the 9s, followed up by two trial losses - including a decent spanking by a club most likely to finish in the bottom half of the ladder - and none of the so-called emerging stars (Perham, Chanel Harris-Tavita, and co) looked threatening. Anyone remember how lethal a young Konnie was when he burst into first grade? Or Shaun Johnson? They were devastating. I haven't seen much about this new crop that suggests they'll be anything other than very average first graders.

After last year's debacle, what Kearney, George and co. needed more than anything was a pre-season full of wins - from a PR perspective particularly. With Smith and Corvo gone, just two signings - none of note - and apparently a new-found desire to play positive footy, this was the perfect opportunity to showcase the touted 'changes'. I don't know about anyone else, but it looked to me like it was just more of the same. The players didn't look any fitter, the style didn't look any more adventurous, and the positional changes didn't do much to inspire confidence.

Yes, I get that I'm invariably negative about the current state of the club. I wish I wasn't. I've followed the Warriors since 95 and I've been fortunate to have some great connections within the club along the way that have at times filled me with hope, and at others, with despair. But I think until SK is gone, and a wide sweep is made through the coaching team, everything is just window dressing. The flaws start at the top, and no amount of spin can hide the fact that Kearney is a very poor coach, with an equally poor record.

Seriously, how would anyone expect players to buy into the coaching philosophy of someone with a winning record of 35.7%? To put that into context, even the perpetually maligned Paul McGregor wins nearly half of all games he coaches

While Kearney is in charge, I struggle to find any reasons to be optimistic about the direction the club is going down.

JaggedJ

The main difference I saw was more players pushing up alongside the ball.

Unfortunately I never saw a ball carrier looking to pass it which defeats the purpose.

Aside from that very much same old, same old.

Likewise our juniors don't fill me with a ton of confidence. Solid maybe, but game changing players you can often spot a mile away in lower grades. Just not seeing it here, although Katoa has looked decent in limited minutes.

Guys like Perham, Ale, Dune etc I'm patiently waiting without much expectation.

Fonzies Tram Line

Fonzies Tram Line

Unfortunately I never saw a ball carrier looking to pass it which defeats the purpose.

Likewise our juniors don't fill me with a ton of confidence. Solid maybe, but game changing players you can often spot a mile away in lower grades. Just not seeing it here, although Katoa has looked decent in limited minutes.

Turner looks dangerous.

warriors55

warriors55

That's the most disappointing aspect. Players like Hayze were supposed to be the next big thing but for whatever reason aren't kicking on. Is it lack of coaching, talent, opportunity, having to play multiple positions?

I think unfortunately for us a lot of our best players tend to compete for the same positions. We have a lot of strength in some positions and huge weaknesses in others.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
If anyone feels reassured or has taken any positives from what we've seen over the offseason, then you've got far rosier glasses than I have. A dismal performance in the 9s, followed up by two trial losses - including a decent spanking by a club most likely to finish in the bottom half of the ladder - and none of the so-called emerging stars (Perham, Chanel Harris-Tavita, and co) looked threatening. Anyone remember how lethal a young Konnie was when he burst into first grade? Or Shaun Johnson? They were devastating. I haven't seen much about this new crop that suggests they'll be anything other than very average first graders.

After last year's debacle, what Kearney, George and co. needed more than anything was a pre-season full of wins - from a PR perspective particularly. With Smith and Corvo gone, just two signings - none of note - and apparently a new-found desire to play positive footy, this was the perfect opportunity to showcase the touted 'changes'. I don't know about anyone else, but it looked to me like it was just more of the same. The players didn't look any fitter, the style didn't look any more adventurous, and the positional changes didn't do much to inspire confidence.

Yes, I get that I'm invariably negative about the current state of the club. I wish I wasn't. I've followed the Warriors since 95 and I've been fortunate to have some great connections within the club along the way that have at times filled me with hope, and at others, with despair. But I think until SK is gone, and a wide sweep is made through the coaching team, everything is just window dressing. The flaws start at the top, and no amount of spin can hide the fact that Kearney is a very poor coach, with an equally poor record.

Seriously, how would anyone expect players to buy into the coaching philosophy of someone with a winning record of 35.7%? To put that into context, even the perpetually maligned Paul McGregor wins nearly half of all games he coaches

While Kearney is in charge, I struggle to find any reasons to be optimistic about the direction the club is going down.
always love it when people name devastating players, who helped the team achieve - nothing. as an example of why the current batch are no good.

i wish u could see an upside, and maybe im sniffing to many rainbows, but i am happy to discount SKs time before the warriors. So his stats dont look as bad to me. i guess i see it like this, do you rate yourself as you r today or on what u were like 8 years earlier? btw i dont think 42% is great, but its better than average for a warriors coach. They need better, and i still wait to see SK show the game management we all desperately want to see.

So yeah, to many rainbows...
i know

JaggedJ

That's the most disappointing aspect. Players like Hayze were supposed to be the next big thing but for whatever reason aren't kicking on. Is it lack of coaching, talent, opportunity, having to play multiple positions?

I think unfortunately for us a lot of our best players tend to compete for the same positions. We have a lot of strength in some positions and huge weaknesses in others.

I think Hayze probably doesn't know left from right anymore. One week he's a half, then fullback, centre, wing. Not sure how He's supposed to develop when the skills he needs to develop are changing every few weeks.

Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
always love it when people name devastating players, who helped the team achieve - nothing. as an example of why the current batch are no good.

i wish u could see an upside, and maybe im sniffing to many rainbows, but i am happy to discount SKs time before the warriors. So his stats dont look as bad to me. i guess i see it like this, do you rate yourself as you r today or on what u were like 8 years earlier? btw i dont think 42% is great, but its better than average for a warriors coach. They need better, and i still wait to see SK show the game management we all desperately want to see.

So yeah, to many rainbows...
i know
I actually enjoy the positive messages even though I am struggling to find the positives myself and I am now officially a warriors doomsayer. Still wouldnt support anyone else though and if we had sone devastating players coming through at least it would give us naysayers some false hope.

Keep it Up.

Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
I think Hayze probably doesn't know left from right anymore. One week he's a half, then fullback, centre, wing. Not sure how He's supposed to develop when the skills he needs to develop are changing every few weeks.
Wouldnt be the first player we have done that to, under many different coaches I should add. Maybe its the same at every club?

Reactions: Worried2Death
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

Wouldnt be the first player we have done that to, under many different coaches I should add. Maybe its the same at every club?

It's the same at any club when they have an established first grader in the guys preferred position (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in this case). Look at the likes of Melbourne and playing B.Smith as a lock or how many guys they shuffled around from fullback to halfback.

brightman

brightman

My two bobs is Hayze at a young age is already a good enough footy player to shift from one position to another, however to realise his talents he needs miles under the belt in 1st grade and that is why he's pushed all over the backline..

Reactions: Worried2Death

JaggedJ

It's the same at any club when they have an established first grader in the guys preferred position (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in this case). Look at the likes of Melbourne and playing B.Smith as a lock or how many guys they shuffled around from fullback to halfback.

And yet Brandon Smith could be a top 5 hooker tomorrow if he were put there.

Jerome Hughes excels regardless of whether he's in the halves or fullback.

Our guys seem to hit a point where they just flatten out and don't improve. Whether it's poor development or something with the player, so many of our guys continually fail to make the leap to first grade and when they do they're solid at best.

Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Contributor
Incidentally, I heard from a contact a couple of months back that Justin Morgan had been brought into the Warriors set-up directly by Cameron George and is likely the back-up plan should Kearney get flicked early during the 2020 season.
He'd be like a calmer Dan Anderson crossed with Steve Kearney's more articulate brother, can't see see why it wouldnt work. He knows the club inside out, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what he can do.

Last edited:
bruce

bruce

Incidentally, I heard from a contact a couple of months back that Justin Morgan had been brought into the Warriors set-up directly by Cameron George and is likely the back-up plan should Kearney get flicked early during the 2020 season.
If I recall Justin Morgan has been talked about as a potential coach ever since he was playing. I don't know the guy but I suspect he is a good self promoter, as for Boy George, just what can one say?:rolleyes: If he really is the brains behind this outfit heyzeuss spare us, and from the sounds of it...he is.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.