General Warriors Preseason 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwiinkc

It feels like we are getting rid of the wrong people.

We lose Corvo and Smith but keep Kearney and George........
What I don't understand it that both Corvo and Smith were direct appointments of SK and George. They didn't inherit them from a previous regime. This tells me one two things. 1. The environment is as shit as speculated and even people with previous success can't function that well. 2. New owners are starting to pull some strings and shake things up. My worry is SK and "Boy George" will go into full self-preservation mode and the club will be put back a few more years as they sacrifice everyone to take the eyes of them. I have said this in the past, with all the staff turnover the one common denominator is SK. I would suggest his acclaimed "man management" skills do not apply to his staff and the way to take the responsibility of the team's perfromance is to place it on those around him. I reckon the Auxtex boys won't tolerate this much longer, they are too smart and ruthless.

Reactions: 4 users
Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Clusterfuck.
If there isn't much positive news before the season starts I will be just dipping the toe next year. This club ain't worth the time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Mr Brownstone

It feels like we are getting rid of the wrong people.

We lose Corvo and Smith but keep Kearney and George........
Kearney is clearly not safe and my guess is George has been firmly told to stick to his core competency (which doesn’t appear to extend far).

Reactions: 3 users
Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
My worry with these high profile league folk leaving. If it's due to the club being in a complete mess, the further reputational (what's that) damage in the small league bubble will make hiring quality people in the future much much harder.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

Hard work doesn’t always mean effective work. Does running 50 x 100m sprints make you faster? Not at all. It makes you fucked, but it’s doesn’t make you better. There’s a place for hard work, but it needs to be sprinkled with effective work. And corvo wasn’t prepared to change anything. He’s not as good as people make out.

Wind sprints develop VO2 max and help your recovery, also builds mental strength.

Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

Its seems everyone the club hires comes in with promises to turn things around and for varying reasons leave before their changes are put in place. He may have done a lot of work that may bare fruit in a few years but the key question is with the club needing to go in a new direction as the article states will any of his work be continued? Or someone else hired to make similar changes, cycle repeats.

The article also confirmed Cayless leaving a year into a two year contract. At the moment if its a case of the Warriors or Roosters its an easy choice. Sure you have a better chance of being promoted to first grade at the Warriors but the chance of a long tenure is slim. The Roosters current premiers, you will have some decent first grade ready talent to work with and be charged with getting the next lot ready. Also working under Kearney or Robinson.

How much longer will O'Sullivan be here for?

It did seem like the club was in investing in off field experience. Some of it was hired before the sale and as we have speculated to help make it look a more attractive purchase.

Is this new direction a new direction or cost cutting?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

Looks like the new owners are making their mark but if we don’t get results at the start of the year I’ll be out as well.

The clubs imploding with no clear plan. Sick of the one step forward and 2 steps back

Cutting costs to stop the financial losses first so the club itself is solvent. Then maybe target the on field losses?

snake77

snake77

At least we may have a new strength and conditioning coach with the little paragraph at the end about Corvo leaving and being replaced by Craig Twentyman.

Reactions: 1 user

Blindside

Sadly all the staff leaving seem to be Aussies. To be replaced by?
Please don't tell me ex-Warriors.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
POS is the one we don't want to lose. All those minds were good in practice, but could have also lead to a too many Indians type of thing.

I agree with Mr Brownstone that Smith was a dinosaur who outstayed his welcome at his previous clubs. If it is true that Corvo was also being left behind (by not adapting) then shedding these two just puts us in a better position to afford a competent coach when SK inevitably carks it.

In the review article SK provided nothing of any substance at all (but he does play his cards close to his chest). The last line about POS having identified the next talent is encouraging, we just need to get them over the line. Unlike other established targets I think we will be willing to offer contracts that others won't to these young guys, so I think we'll be successful in signing a couple. A risky, but correct tactic for this club I think. Talent-wise I think we see enough of them by the time they are 19/20 these days (especially forwards), it is more the injury and attitude that causes the risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Nah this isn’t true. I know why he was let go,but this isn’t the reason. He fell out with some staff, and hasn’t changed his pre season training routine, like, at all. Ever. The games changed since his time at broncos, yet he hasn’t changed.

Yeah it’s true senior players were concerned about corvo. But I think that’s fair. Training monotony and boredom is very real. It takes a good coach to work hard whilst having fun. And he wasn’t prepared to change, anything. Sorry but my opinion, good riddance. He’s a pretty weird bastard.

Hard work doesn’t always mean effective work. Does running 50 x 100m sprints make you faster? Not at all. It makes you fucked, but it’s doesn’t make you better. There’s a place for hard work, but it needs to be sprinkled with effective work. And corvo wasn’t prepared to change anything. He’s not as good as people make out.
Hold on. Corvo has done the same thing at Broncos, Storm, QLD and Aus league teams. Bellamy has stated that as long as he is coaching in the NRL, Corvo is always welcome to be a part of his team in that role.

What you are saying is that...the players, Kearney, Iro, Stacey, Payten etc have more knowledge about what training methods are suitable for the team then this well credentialed individual? Isn't he the same guy that the club was giving rave reviews to last year?

All this proves are we still love to have our bros in jobs so we can laugh, have it easy and get paid. Always has, always will.

We arent ready for Corvo and yet we dream of having a Bennett, Bellamy etc to coach this mob? Seriously?

#scapegoatforincompetence

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

Swanny

Hold on. Corvo has done the same thing at Broncos, Storm, QLD and Aus league teams. Bellamy has stated that as long as he is coaching in the NRL, Corvo is always welcome to be a part of his team in that role.

What you are saying is that...the players, Kearney, Iro, Stacey, Payten etc have more knowledge about what training methods are suitable for the team then this well credentialed individual? Isn't he the same guy that the club was giving rave reviews to last year?

It may not have just been the players. There was an article a couple of months ago about all the training and medical staff who had left whilst he was there. There were some very well credentialed people from different backgrounds that were lost in his time

warriorsfan92

All this proves are we still love to have our bros in jobs so we can laugh, have it easy and get paid. Always has, always will.

We arent ready for Corvo and yet we dream of having a Bennett, Bellamy etc to coach this mob? Seriously?

Whilst I agree with you, I can understand the other side. Remember I’ve got people from inside & he isn’t as great as people make out.

the Australian and qld campaigns are irrelevant. Nothing physically will be achieved in the 4 day camps let’s be realistic. The goal is to not fuck them up for game day. A little different from a 5 month pre season. Now hear me out. You’re right. What he did with broncos and storm did work. But this was a while ago. His plan hasn’t changed, like, nothing. He doesn’t put in any work to improve it, this worked previously so this is what we’re doing - despite the latest research. Apparently one week he saw an Aussie rules drill and tried it on the group and 5 or 6 suffered a soft tissue injury. He’s not as educated, nor is he as effective as people make out. He’s all about hard work, which I love but it needs to be balanced with evidence and effective prescription.

Nah, not saying that. I’m saying that training should be somewhat enjoyable if you’re going to see any real improvement. Treating the athletes like cattle and having an army like training model doesnt work anymore.

Reactions: 20 users
Status
Not open for further replies.