Bring Them Back To First Grade Next Week?

• Manu Vatuvai

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Konrad Hurrell

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Ben Matulino

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • Bodeen Thompson

Votes: 110 93.2%
  • Albert Vete

Votes: 44 37.3%
  • Sam Lisone

Votes: 13 11.0%

• Total voters

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Player contracts can be difficult to break as they protect both parties but in this instance there is likely to have been breaches to certain clauses around player obligations.

No doubt Hurrells contract will be terminated, his manager has been called in next week so the writing is on the wall there.

Manus interesting with his track record of past breaches, there's a case for him and if the club chose to could effectively terminate his contract too. He's a club legend so the fallout would obviously be huge if they did but it appears he's a negative influence on certain players so management and the board may not have a choice if they're clear about their objectives for moving the culture at the Warriors forward.

The others as far as I'm aware don't have any priors so a termination of contract could end up in litigation given the nature of the offense. (Not sure about Matulino there could be a past indiscretion there somewhere from memory)

I don't think it'll come down to tearing up multiple contracts but I'd expect Konrad to be gone by the end of next week and Manu is on thin ice, he certainly can't complain if Cappy wants to throw him in the forwards or whatever. Any privileges he had as a senior player have no doubt been revoked.

Here's a link to a generic player contract it gives some idea about the kinds of things you'd find within a NRL contract.

www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=99639

It pains me to be writing about this kind of stuff as a Warriors fan and it's particularly hard given some of these player have been true champions in my eyes but the rational part of me knows that in order to move the club forward it'll take some hard decisions and I'm prepared for that.

Last edited:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I've been thinking about this and I came to a similar conclusion. This is a clique trying to cause trouble and out the coach, just like the last times.
Looks like it won't happen this time and good on JD and Cappy! I hope these self important prima donna's get schooled!
Firstly nice username.:D
That's how I read the players involved. They were also some of the worst players on Monday night. Vatuvei can say we don't know the full story and that could be anything from them supporting one of their team maters going through an issue or it is more than likely what you mentioned a group that got together with a similar issue or have an issue with the coach. Probably taking the easy stance that the clubs troubles are all the coaches fault.

Also agree that it's great that Doyle is charge at the moment. Since he arrived he said the club expects a certain level of professionalism his quotes this week match that. Also what we have see from him since he arrived is he does make changes and will look to improve the club. Ok the making changes bit we could argue he is sitting on the coaching situation but this could be due to other issues like sorting out a splintered playing group, or guys he knows are causing issues.

and it all comes back to recruitment. I think we are going to see a lot of changes there.
I sure hope so. The last 10 years or so quite a few sides have gotten out of a rut quickly by getting rid of the dead wood and recruiting in numbers and recruiting the right kind of player.

The key quote from McFadden was we need guys that want to be here and want to put in the work required.

Doyle knows the cap rules well enough. If we have enough funds freed up he should be able to improve the squad. The test will be the whole Aussies not wanting to come to NZ thing. Hopefully he can sell the club well enough.

Reactions: Sup42

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
No doubt Hurrells contract will be terminated, his manager has been called in next week so the writing is on the wall there.

Manus interesting with his track record of past breaches, there's a case for him and if the club chose to could effectively terminate his contract too. He's a club legend so the fallout would obviously be huge if they did but it appears he's a negative influence on certain players so management and the board may not have a choice if they're clear about their objectives for moving the culture at the Warriors forward.

The others as far as I'm aware don't have any priors so a termination of contract could end up in litigation given the nature of the offense. (Not sure about Matulino there could be a past indiscretion there somewhere from memory)

I don't think it'll come down to tearing up multiple contracts but I'd expect Konrad to be gone by the end of next week and Manu is on thin ice, he certainly can't complain if Cappy wants to throw him in the forwards or whatever. Any privileges he had as a senior player have no doubt been revoked.
With the amount of rumours over the last few years I'd assume Hurrell and his manager have wanted out for a while now. Hopefully the club has enough to move him on or at the least tell them he won't be playing first grade again. Hurrell probably wouldn't mind playing out his big contract in reserve grade but his manager would see the impact that would have on his future and want to get him a new deal.

If we could also move Vatuvei on as well it would help with a lot of our issues, professionalism off the field and mistake rates on it. He's nearing the end of his career and his best years are behind him anyway.

phil.kingston

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 15, 2013
If Koni, Manu & Big Ben all go, along with the rumoured Tommy L to the ESL, Lousi (does his contract expire 2016?) we'll have a lot of cash to splash
Do we do that before or after we decide whether or not we want to keep the coach for next year? If Cappy were to leave at the end of the year, would we rather he have a say in who our squad next year should be or the incoming coach?

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015
If St George put one on us today I'd say Cappy is ggooonnee fo'sho, just make sure he takes Lillyman with him, a joke of a prop.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
just make sure he takes Lillyman with him, a joke of a prop.
Why do you say that?

He is averaging 47.9 mins a game. In that time he is making:
113.1 metres a game.
29.9 tackles a game.

Just for comparisons sake...Ben Matulino is averaging 59.6 mins a game. His stats are as follows:
109 metres a game.
30.1 tackles.

Lillyman is making 7.92 metres per hitup.

In comparison:
Matulino - 8.30
Gavet - 7.68
Gubb - 7.59
Vete - 6.67

Lillyman also has one of the better tackling rates amongst our props.

Why the hate for him. Is it because he is Australian (and naturally an easy target), and we automatically take the view that he is a barrier to one of our up and coming props who carry themselves so professionally on and off the field? Is it because he was 18th man for Qld once and people assume that the club is paying an SOO like salary for him? Stats may not tell the full story, but have you seen an opponent stroll straight past him to score this season? How many other forwards at the club can say the same? He might not be setting the world on fire, but how many people in the team are?

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...entally-weak--forensic-psychiatrist-called-in
Here is how sterlo sees it something I have been saying for along time defence wins games.
Something a well known coach from chch told us as kids defense wins game thanks frank for letting us know early in life, looks like our team here is still learning
I'm surprised a nz paper would publish the truth. Great article and is what a lot on here have called for.

The Aussies have a much harder attitude and unfortunately our bunch of pussies fold like a pack of cards when the going gets tough.

Reactions: nzw and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I'm surprised a nz paper would publish the truth. Great article and is what a lot on here have called for.

The Aussies have a much harder attitude and unfortunately our bunch of pussies fold like a pack of cards when the going gets tough.
I can't see how a forensic psychologist is going to help them. If one is weak mentally the best you are going to get is moments of brilliance interspersed with moments of terrible form. Michael Campbell the golfer is a sad example. On his day amazing, absolutely amazing. On his off day as bad as one could get. Nothing against Cambo, I enjoyed watching him as much as anybody but golf is not a team game. In the NRL if you get a few guys off their game the team is toast.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
"A four-time premiership-winning champion halfback at Parramatta, New South Wales and Australia before switching to the commentary box, Sterling is one of the most respected analysts in the game."

Reactions: 6 Again and nzw

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I can't see how a forensic psychologist is going to help them. If one is weak mentally the best you are going to get is moments of brilliance interspersed with moments of terrible form. Michael Campbell the golfer is a sad example. On his day amazing, absolutely amazing. On his off day as bad as one could get. Nothing against Cambo, I enjoyed watching him as much as anybody but golf is not a team game. In the NRL if you get a few guys off their game the team is toast.
My new philosohpy for the Warriors.

If it is broke, fucken fix it.

Toopi is King

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
Otorohanga
what good is cash when no one super star wants to come here.
you have it right on the head as far as I'm concerned. A lot of people are putting comments up about having the potential to be able to buy top line players, forgetting the fact that top players want to play for a club that has a great, (not 50/50) chance of winning the premiership. So while it's good that we may have a bit of money to buy players, we won't get the players we want. Think about it people

Jay2010

Waterboy
Apr 11, 2016
Manu is past his prime anyways, Konrad's form has been out for some time, since shoulder charges have been banned, Ben Matulino's defensive work has gone down, it seems Lisone just wants to fight every game (which would of been fine in the 90's, but it seems you get penalised for brushing past a referee nowadays) so giving aways penalties really don't help the warrior. The club are paying big bucks to these guys to play footy, the fans are paying big bucks to watch these guys play footy. If they are wanting to do the opposite, then why not send them on their way. Save the fans from the heartache they saw against the Storm. However, in saying that, i must still admit that Manu might of been one of the better players in that game.

• Haha
Reactions: Straight up

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
you have it right on the head as far as I'm concerned. A lot of people are putting comments up about having the potential to be able to buy top line players, forgetting the fact that top players want to play for a club that has a great, (not 50/50) chance of winning the premiership. So while it's good that we may have a bit of money to buy players, we won't get the players we want. Think about it people
There is no point holding onto a bunch of losers. They may be good players but if they aren't producing at the Warriors OR they are undermining the management, either way it is reason to move them on. Example, the Raiders with Dugan and Ferguson, those guys were their biggest stars but they pretty much said 'we are the team, we will do what the fuk we like'

Take the money and at least try to get people who give a fuk

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings