General Warriors Pre Season Games 2009

Jesbass_old

Warriors light up Waikato

01/12/2008 9:50 AM

Sportal

The rebirth of Stacey Jones and the first sighting of three new signings are on the menu in the Warriors' pre-season opener against the Melbourne Storm at Waikato Stadium.
After announcing his shock comeback to a club he so faithfully served in 238 matches from 1995 to 2005, Jones will attempt to prove his worth in the Thursday night warm-up clash on February 12.
The Hamilton crowd will also witness former Broncos Denan Kemp, Joel Moon along with Cowboys recruit Jacob Lillyman pulling on a Warriors jersey for the first time.
Kemp, a noted speedster, is certain to take a starting wing spot for the 2009 NRL season, State of Origin representative Lillyman is a strong option in the second row while Moon has a tough job in jostling for a position in the halves.
As many as 14 players from the Kiwis and Kangaroos' World Cup squads will be able to be called upon, along with victorious Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney in his role as Storm assistant.
The Warriors have Lance Hohaia, Manu Vatuvei, Jerome Ropati, Simon Mannering, Nathan Fien, Evarn Tuimavave and Sam Rapira from the Kiwis while also including Kangaroos players Steve Price and Brent Tate.
The Storm have no shortage of international stars themselves in Kiwis forwards Sika Manu and Adam Blair, while they also boast three Kangaroos in captain Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Greg Inglis.
Another point of interest comes in former Warriors favourite Wairangi Koopu's return to New Zealand in Melbourne colours. The back-rower was unwanted by the Warriors past 2008 after 159 NRL appearances for the club and was subsequently snapped up by the Storm on a one-year deal.
Both teams are committed to bringing their full squads for the fixture.

Source: https://sportal.co.nz/League-news-display/warriors-light-up-waikato-61336

Skinny_Ravs82

What do ya reckon about Pricey and Tatey even playing that one? Considering the injuries they recently picked up?

Kaiaua krusher_old

The Kiwi Warriors are all on holiday and don't have to report for training until 5 Jan, although I think they have a full squad get together in December.

Jesbass_old

The Kiwi Warriors are all on holiday and don't have to report for training until 5 Jan, although I think they have a full squad get together in December.

How odd. I've got an email saying that some of the boys are already training, and the World Cup guys are expected in about a week from now.

Jesbass_old

Haven't heard anything as of yet, KD, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Of course, it's probably best for you South Islanders to email Dan Burton directly - if he has enough requests, I'm sure they'll look into it. Probably not for 2009, but maybe for 2010.

Skinny_Ravs82

Yep best to ask them and let them know the concerns/thoughts of fans outside of Auckland ;)

ONETRIBECHIEF_old

Any news on a Warriors pre-season game in Christchurch??? :pray:

well it looked like the warriors went to the councils to see if they wanted to host a pre season game and it looks like waikato had the most enthusiasm behind it, this is going from the comments made Hamilton City Councillor and chairperson of the community and environment committee Daphne Bell in the article to announce the game

Kid-Dynamite_old

well it looked like the warriors went to the councils to see if they wanted to host a pre season game and it looks like waikato had the most enthusiasm behind it, this is going from the comments made Hamilton City Councillor and chairperson of the community and environment committee Daphne Bell in the article to announce the game

Yea, that'd be about right!

We're only concerned about the bloody Crusaders down here now!

daj3_old

Yeah, for once... we used to get the Parramatta v warriors game here, but the council fluffed around and didn't do enough to keep it. It averaged a bigger attendance than the chiefs or waikato games, but it wasn't worthwhile apparently?

Well, I'll be there for sure.

Jesbass_old

You've got the V8s, too. I think I'll be visiting Hamilton a few times this year! :D

Skinny_Ravs82

We only got one beig played by the Storm here against the Knights and that's it!

Kaiaua krusher_old

JB, the Kiwi boys don't go back until the 5th. Fieney is in Aussie, Simon in Raro, about the only 3 Kiwis at home are Lance, Jerome and Manu.

2big2strong_old

I will be at the Warriors vs Storm trial in Hamilton on Feb 12th. I can't wait, I'll be at Stacey's first game back and the first time the new strip will be worn in anger.

I'm staying in Tokoroa that week so I'll be taking the rental car up. Who else is gonna be there?