Rumour Warriors Player Split Rumour 2016

The really sad part for Fans is that the guys responsible for this are earning in one week what this poor old pensioner earns in a year.
Do they have no sense of pride or are they content to just play poorly every week and wait until their contract expires in a few years time?

There is no doubt in my mind that the perpetrator of this has departed but has left his rotting mess behind.
When us fans that were at the St George game saw the commitment from the team as a whole I thought that maybe Cappy would have realised where the cancer was, sadly this was not the case and as soon as the cancerous portion was back in the team the rot set in again.

Unfortunately for us the previous management put those huge salaries and three year contracts in place and will take a while for all of them to reach maturity which sadly not many of those players will reach.

Still looking forward to the game on Saturday and will be in the East stand helping them out (vocally).

I don't know if there are rifts/splits/cliques or not. But one thing you can be sure of... by halftime tomorrow we should have a good idea! because if they want to largely keep the coach they'll be trying. if they want him gone...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall there being any particular level of friction between the player group and the coach when Cleary was in charge. He seemed to have a disposition and managerial style that the players responded to and by which all subsequent coaches have no doubt been judged against by players that were coached by him (Mannering, Vatuvei, Matulino, Johnson, Lillyman and Lousi). Could the spectre of Cleary still loom over the club and will it only vanish when either he returns or a better coach than the Godfather is found?

Reactions: bruce
I am not going to get into race questions because I don't think this is a race issue, it is a personal responsibility issue.

There is a team work issue that shows in every game. There seems to be an issue of players putting themselves before the team. When they come into the squad the team has to be their culture.

I am not saying their ethnicity and all that goes with it becomes secondary, just that when 'on the clock' they have to be Warriors and all other Warriors are their equals.

As far as someone recruiting others to their point of view, it is human to want company, so no surprise there. However, it is toxic and whoever that player is has crossed the line needs to be removed. No 2nd chances.

I would start by imposing standards, dress being the first. When footage of the 6 going in to HQ after the night out their dress was inappropriate for what they were there for. It was a formal situation so some formality was needed. To me it showed disrespect.

Players are responsible for their actions, however I see the management having dropped the ball as well by not imposing those standards. Manage the team, it is your job, the clue is in your job title.

These standards do translate onto the field, when the going gets tough it is the discipline that gets them to succeed. IMO that shows through in Warriors games as well.

The macho bullshit about things like losing the game but winning the fight. Losing by 30 but raving about one tackle, not the missed ones.

Preparation is not just on the training track, it is also off field with how you prepare and act.

I would start by imposing standards, dress being the first. When footage of the 6 going in to HQ after the night out their dress was inappropriate for what they were there for. It was a formal situation so some formality was needed. To me it showed disrespect.

Not disagreeing with your post - but this piece I've quoted above is far wider than the warriors. I can't remember who or which of the players it was, but I remember seeing on TV a while back when someone from another club was being interviewed by the police in Sydney - he walked in/out of the station in shorts and a hoodie. The Sharks players when they showed up for the ASADA investigations - none of them dressed up. Just rocked up in their usual gear...

The other side of the coin:
186 pages in the sack cappy thread. I think just about no one sees McFadden bringing us success. A senior player has stood up and said, I dont think this is working we should do something about it. The article has said he's stopped backing Cappy and asked younger players to do the same. And then the article goes on to list that's everything wrong with the warriors this year and tries to draw a link between the two. Which may be true, may not be 100% true. If this senior player is asking younger players to question cappy's strategies in the team meetings instead of blindly following them.....If wanting success is what is driving dissent then, I dont necessarily see an issue with that. If the senior player is saying, lets under perform so Cappy gets fired.....well thats match fixing imo, and like Greenberg said yesterday, those players should be banned from warriors for life.

Assuming its the former and not the latter...
some of the players who'll definately be in Cappys corner...Shaun Johnson/Hoffman/TL/Robson/Wright/Lolohea/Lillyman
the names that are coming up on the other side...Matulino, Manu, Mannering, Thompson(considering he was caught up in the pills saga), Lisone, Vete (perhaps the players being influenced)

In terms of effort/consistently turning up every week, is one significantly better than the other?
If you producing shit every week, its ok cause you are backing the coach?
If the coach is producing shit every week, its ok to blindly back him?

I dont know the extent of the issue or the nature of the issue...but maybe things are not as black and white as we are assuming them to be

Is JD still requiring the players to run up and congratulate the player who scores the try? If so, I can see why there's a lot of walking going around...Mutts has no leadership credibility, and no way Manners does that to Hoffman. That leaves Manu, who has a lot of credibility with the young'uns.

The other side of the coin:
If you producing shit every week, its ok cause you are backing the coach?
If the coach is producing shit every week, its ok to blindly back him?

And herein lies the biggest problem, which side is it????

IMO, it begins with management, and I have been bagging the coaching since last year, but maybe, and I really hope it isn't, it could be a player revolt. If it is a player revolt, and I really hate to say this, but Mannering could be the ring leader, why else did he chuck in the captaincy, and who else within the players would have the biggest pull, and also what other player could possibly run the risk of leading such a charge with the possibility of being sacked and knowing that he could pick up another contract within 5 minutes of being sacked. I really hope it isn't Mannering, because I love him as a player and for what he stands for, and this would really piss me off.

drunk_monk

Contributor
If there is a player teaching rookies to undermine the coach then he has to go. Probably with Cappy. Start next season with a new coach and without that poison because whats to stop the same player doing it next season if he gets punished to a new coach?

An interesting thought could be, are we witnessing a really messy transition of culture in progress?

Is the split between players who want drastic change to how the club is run vs. the people who liked the atmosphere the way it was (friendly, casual, whatever).

Would you want to risk putting your body (Career) on the line if you knew your team was full of players with crap attitudes who don't give it their all and it was pretty much futile?

These boys need to be 100% united and committed, otherwise they won't stand a chance against any other team that is.

A fish rots from the head and in my opinion so are the Warriors at present. Leadership is the starting point for the club's troubles and I believe it has expanded from being a lack of leadership at a coaching level (since the departure of Cleary and Hart) to now include the style of leadership at both the CEO and captain level. You need to communicate effectively with your players to get the outcome you want. I genuinely don't believe this is happening and therefore the discontentment is spreading.

The decision to take the captaincy off Mannering was made by Cappy, straight away he lost respect, for all Mannering's failings he stood up for the boys and they respected that, as soon as you put Hoffman in he has to assert himself as an outsider and by doing that he has pissed off the core of senior players that used to back Mannering, why couldn't have Cappy made Mutts captain if Mannering wanted a 'Break', He wanted an Aussie in charge to be his 'Hammer' cos he knew deep down the team was losing respect for him, the trouble is Hoffman is no Campion so the boys said fuck you cappy and your fucken mouthpiece, getting rid of Hurrell isn't going to solve the problem, getting rid of Hoffman will go along way to righting this sinking ship.

Reactions: Mr Brownstone
The decision to take the captaincy off Mannering was made by Cappy, straight away he lost respect, for all Mannering's failings he stood up for the boys and they respected that, as soon as you put Hoffman in he has to assert himself as an outsider and by doing that he has pissed off the core of senior players that used to back Mannering, why couldn't have Cappy made Mutts captain if Mannering wanted a 'Break', He wanted an Aussie in charge to be his 'Hammer' cos he knew deep down the team was losing respect for him, the trouble is Hoffman is no Campion so the boys said fuck you cappy and your fucken mouthpiece, getting rid of Hurrell isn't going to solve the problem, getting rid of Hoffman will go along way to righting this sinking ship.
Bring back Konnie....

I'm starting to think this isn't an organized effort.

I think its a symptom of too many tribalists in the squad, and not enough individualists...

Its a mind set thing. Tribalism is a completely different way of life to individualism. Pro sports grew out of individualism, not tribalism, so it only really works when there's a clear majority of individualists in the squad.

This is because individualists won't band together in small power groups within the squad to exert their power over the coaches, owners etc... They'll play ball and then go home...

This club can only fail if majority elements are working under tribal mentalities that exclude the other elements within the playing group...

I've run that post through my PC checker and its clean....

A fish rots from the head and in my opinion so are the Warriors at present. Leadership is the starting point for the club's troubles and I believe it has expanded from being a lack of leadership at a coaching level (since the departure of Cleary and Hart) to now include the style of leadership at both the CEO and captain level. You need to communicate effectively with your players to get the outcome you want. I genuinely don't believe this is happening and therefore the discontentment is spreading.
I disagree. I think we have reached a tipping point where the old culture has been found out and exposed. Of course some players don't like the change and are trying to revolt and take the gullible rest with them. I say carry on with the cleanout Jim. Pity that some contracts are for so long... its gonna take a while longer yet.

That's better than having no chance of getting there at all.